Chapter 37

The Truth Behind The Lies

A week passed and Taeyeon was getting out of the hospital. Jessica has asked me if I could go with him to pick her up and I agreed to it.

 

“Thanks, I really appreciate it,” Taeyeon said as I parked in front of her house.

 

“It was no problem. Take care,” I said as I watched Jessica and her getting off the car to her front door.

 

“Bye, Taeng. Don’t hurt yourself,” said Jessica as he came back up the driveway.

 

We watched Taeyeon’s door close and then he came back into my car. I put my car in drive and drove to his house. As we sat there in my parked car Jessica was the first to say something.

 

“About that kiss, the night at the hospital….”

 

“I know it was nothing, just a heat of the moment thing,” I said quickly.

 

“No, see that’s the thing. It did mean something and I’m sorry for that. I know you’re still figuring out your feeling.”

 

“That’s ok. I enjoyed it actually,” I said, smiling as he smiled back.

 

“I gotta say it’s a good feeling to be still friends with you, despite everything. I can’t imagine life without you, Tiffany Hwang.”

 

“Thanks, and vice versa,” I said.

 

“Who knows, maybe you’ll choose me in the end,” he said.

 

He startled me when he said that and I know that he noticed, but he just smiled and I couldn’t help but smiled back.

 

“Well, I should get going,” he said.

 

“Ok, bye,” I said.

 

“Bye.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When I got home, Yuri was sitting on the couch, a blanket covering her baby bump, which ws gigantic because she was due in less than a month.

 

“Hey, so how’d it go with detective? “I asked.

 

“Well, he said by the time everything is settled they’ll have a trial, which will most likely be held during the summer.”

 

“That long?”

 

“Yeah, I know I wish I could just send him to jail for the rest of his life, but nope, not yet.”

 

“It’ll happen though,” I said, confident that it would.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Another week passed meaning it was prom night this Saturday night and with graduation only two weeks later. The school provided us with a big bill in less than a month by scheduling prom and graduation so close together but with all the school pranks we were lucky to even get a prom.

 

So when Mike Sung came up to me I wasn’t surprised by what he wanted to ask me, because for the past few days he started talking to me and I couldn’t sense some flirting but played along anyway. I didn’t think he does actually have the nerve to ask me.

 

“Hey, Tiffany, so I was just wondering…are you going to prom?”

 

“Ummm... I don’t know,” I said.

 

“Why? Do you not have a date?”

 

“Umm…” he caught me off guard but then suddenly I hear someone say something behind me.

 

“Actually she does,” it was Jessica.

 

 “Oh, right. Sorry….I’ll see you Tiffany,” said Mike embarrassed.

 

As we watched him walk away I playfully smacked Jessica on his shoulder.

 

“Ow,” he faked, “what was that for?”

 

“You totally embarrassed him,” I said.

 

“Really? I thought I was doing you a favour.”

 

“You were, but still that was so mean.”

 

“Whatever, besides he gave me a good reason to ask you to prom.”

 

“So what you were saying you were serious about asking me?”

 

“Of course…so is that a yes?”

 

“Of course,” I said smiling.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was soon Friday night and Yuri and I were shopping for prom dresses, better late than never, but it wasn’t totally our fault. Yuri had planned on making our dresses but with her pregnancy and what happened with her and Yoona’s dad, she just couldn’t.

 

“So, you excited?” Yuri asked me.

 

“About what?

 

“You and Jessica seem to be hitting it off pretty well.”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“What do you mean you don’t know? I’ve seen the way you two look at each other and I bet by tomorrow you two will be back together.”

 

“Don’t get your hopes up,” I said as she was still smiling.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After I dropped Yuri off at Yoona’s, I went home to take a shower but was surprised to find Wooyoung waiting outside my door. I hadn’t seen him in a while and was confused as to what he was doing here.

 

“Wooyoung?” I asked walking up to my door.

 

“Hey, Tiffany,” he said waving

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I have…uh…I have some information on your brother.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yeah, I don’t know how to tell you.”

 

“Wooyoung, just say it. Whatever it is just say it,” I said, more impatient.

 

He looked at me, and then suddenly had fear in his eyes as they got bigger then back to their normal size.

 

“Wooyoung?”

 

“Tiffany, open the door. NOW!” he yelled.

 

“Okay,” I said, frightened by the tone of his voice. I searched frantically for my key.

 

"There is no time, come with me,” he yelled and grabbed my hand and lead me off the porch.

 

“Wooyoung, what’s going on?” I said my voice frightened.

 

I turned around slightly and noticed exactly what was happening. My stalker was following us. Wooyoung noticed what I saw as I stumbled.

 

“Tiffany, don’t be scared. You’ll be ok. I won’t let anything happen to you. Trust me,” he said as we continued to run. My stalker closed behind. Suddenly, I heard Wooyoung whisper, “Get down.” And I did.

 

We were now hidden behind some tall bushes. I could hear the masked man footsteps nearby. Wooyoung quickly covered my mouth to quiet my heavy breathing as I stared at the man’s feet that were now suddenly in front of me. My eyes widened and my heart raced. Then I was relieved as the man started to walk away.

 

After he was out of view, Wooyoung let his hand go. I suddenly started to cry as I did he held me. His arms slowly wrapped around me and I could tell he was hesitant of whether or not he should but as I cried louder he just wrapped them around me tightly.

 

“Shh,” he whispered, “I’m here.”

 

I stopped crying then looked into his eyes. Although it was dark and I could still see them sparkling from the moonlight. Our faces were close we were both breathing hard and we were close together. The bushes left us little space to hide so we had to be close. I was completely regretting this choice that we had made of such a close knit place, but all my thoughts were suddenly out of my mind as I felt his lips on mine. I wasn’t completely surprised by his kiss because I kissed him back. That was what surprised me. I was kissing him like I had been missing it. A part of me wanted to stop, but I couldn’t.