The Angel's Curse (contd.)

Entwined Destinies

BOOM!

Cho Hee winced as she heard a terrifying crack of thunder sound outside her mansion. Her lips trembled as her sorrow eyes stared out into the dark horizon, now scattered with scarring drops of rain, seemingly flooding everything around her. Leeteuk was nowhere to be seen. It took her every inch of willpower to keep herself from running away. A head was piercing in an unbearable pain, like it always did when there was a lightning storm.  She gripped the pearl laced curtain of the window nervously, and her hands unable to keep still. Her pretty, doll-like eyes had no sign of its usual spark, and it seemed to be dripping in worries that weren't to be diminished any time soon.

The rain fell even harder than before, and all Cho Hee could do was look on nervously. Once again, there was nothing she could do, and all she was capable of was standing at the sidelines, hoping and expecting every little bit for a safe return. A streak of lightning cut through the sky, startling her, as she gripped the curtain even tighter than before. It was nearly midnight, and there had been no sign of return at all. She'd been standing by the window for as long as she could remembering, looking desparately out at the mansion's entrance path that lead to the dark and engulfing forest beyond it, which showed nothing but darkness.

Cho Hee bit her lip as she recalled her uselessness, her pathetic self, when she couldn't even stop one of the only friends she ever had from throwing herself into a situation of danger. She was just a primpy, annoying, pestering and spoiled princess, nothing more, and as much as she liked to deny that herself, she knew there was no other truth to it. Even her own parents had left her, abandoned her, knowing she was a useless child who could never live up to anything.

Cho Hee's eyes wavered as she stared out into the unletting rainstorm. She squeezed them shut and droned out the plitter-platter noise as best as she could.

"Please, let her come back safely," Cho Hee whispered, putting her hands together. She opened her eyes, half expecting Taeyeon to burst through the door, but she was only awaited with the deadly silence of the mansion once again. She felt an agonizing feeling in her chest, and her worries bubbled up against at once.

I'm such a child, Cho Hee consoled to herself. I've lost everything I could, and I couldn't even hang on to her...the one that was so kind to me, and saw me for who I really was.

She slowly tilted her head back, as if she were trying to swallow back any tears that were threatening to burst out of her, taking control of her emotions and driving herself to a state close to insanity. She'd learned a long time ago that cryng got you nowhere, and it could only lead to more pain and agony.

Now...I've even lost him....

Cho Hee bent her head back down and stared out deep into the night, the comforting rain, and the mist of danger that shielded it all.

A crash of thunder louder than before and a flash of lightning flaring up the entire night sky to a ghostly white. made Cho Hee's eyes widen. Her head suddenly streaked with an unbearable feel of agony, as her hand slipped from the curtain and brought itself up to her head. She gripped her head tightly, her eyes squeezed shut and her breath wheezing. It was as if her headwas being eaten from the inside; gnawing and crushing. It was unlike anything she felt before, as she fell to her knees, unable to keep up, whimpering in pain.

As she fell, a reminiscing image of her grievous memories entered her mind, devouring her thoughts and taking control.

 

***********************************

 

A terrifying crash of thunder sounded throughout the outskirts of Seoul, and a radiant beam of lightning streaked the normally calm and lifeless cityline, lighting up the entire place in an unearthly yet magnificent manner. 

And beneath it all was a young girl of no more than six, running through the horrendous storm with only a small, denim jacket to shield her from the harsh impact of the heavy raindrops. Her raven black braids bounced naturally on her back, and her ruffled, fuchsia-coloured dress was soaked to the skin. She was breathing heavily as she skipped through the messy, cobbled streets, now empty without a person in sight, and all she wanted was to get out of the storm and back to her comfy home. She'd returned to school to retrieve a book she'd forgot, without considering the fact that the heavy, dark clouds outside may be an omen telling her to stay home.

Another flash of the lightning lit up the night, followed immediately by yet another startling boom that would've startled anybody. But not her. She was literally fearless of anything, and what did a little lightning matter when she was about to get home soon anyway? It couldn't affect her, and the more she believed it, the more invincible she became.

The sounds of her tiny footsteps became repetitive more and more, as she hurried to get home, where her parents would certainly be waiting for her. Her father would jump out of his comfy chair and crumple his newspaper furiously as he points a finger at her and scold her for taking too long and for worryng him to the death. Her mother would duck out from the kitchen and grab a sweater with which she'd wrapped around her precious daughter, scolding her husband back for picking on their child at a time like this, a time where the only thing important was that she'd got home safely. At which, she herself would smile contently and let her mother lead her to her bedroom, where she'd stay for the night. A few minutes later, her father too would come up and comfort her, tell her a nice story, and then kiss her goodnight.

It'd all happened too many times before, and there wasn't even a shred of doubt in her innocent, child-like mind that it wasn't to happen again.

The girl rounded the corner and saw her house, dimly-lit with the porch lights and seemingly inviting her to run into the doors to expect what she expected. The white door was a only a few feet away from her, as she reached her tiny hand up to grab the doorknob--

"I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU!"

SLAM!

She was pushed back suddenly when the door burst opened wide, causing her to recoil in surprise and fall into a puddle of water in front of her house. Recovering, she brushed her now extremely tousled wet hair out of her eyes and blinked a few times in order to see who would be standing at the door at a time like this. She opened as she immediately recognized the all too familiar face.

"Omma?" she squeaked, as she pulled herself to her feet and picked up her completely soiled jacket and book she had been holding.

Her mother didn't respond. There was something strange about her mother, which even someone as simple-minded as her could notice. Her mother wasn't wearing a jacket of any sort even though the weather was slightly chilly, and she hadn't even brought an umbrella even though she of all people would be aware there was a rainstorm outside. And she hadn't moved an inch ever since the door burst open; she was simply standing there limply in one spot.

The girl blinked a few more times again to wash away anything still stuck in her eyes, and shuffled her way over to her mother, who was still standing rigidly in the same spot. She slowly shuffled over to where her mother was standing, and grabbed onto the hem of her mother's dress, tugging it. 

"Omma?" she tried again, louder this time, thinking that it was because her mom couldn't hear her normally quiet daughter over the thunder that still wasn't letting up overhead.

"Cho Hee..." came her mother's response. Cho Hee was surprised at the sound of her mom's voice; it wasn't like anything she'd ever heard before in her life. The voice she usually heard was maternal and comforting: this one was depressing and exhausted. 

"Cho Hee, my daughter..." her mother's lofty voice whispered again. Cho Hee was getting really worried, and was wondering if she should go get her dad to come out and talk some sense into her mother. Her mother suddenly grabbed her daughter's tiny hands, and stared into her eyes with a sad smile. "Promise me one thing....that you'll always do your best to be happy. Don't make the same mistakes I did, and always have a proud smile on your face, no matter what you go through. Promise me, Cho Hee, promise!"

"I--I promise," Cho Hee responded hesitantly, wondering why her mother was saying such strange things, and not quite certain what she'd just promised to do. But she thought it was the right thing because she saw her mother's smile become contented for a moment. Her mother patted Cho Hee's head lovingly, and gently kissed the spot.

"You're everything to me, Cho Hee," she said, the compassion in her voice startling Cho Hee as another loud boom of thunder sounded amidst her voice. "Please, don't ever think I abandoned you.....ever."

"Omma--?"

The word hadn't even left Cho Hee's mouth yet and she found herself staring at the back of her mother, running away from her daughter without one look back into the thunderous storm.

"OMMA!!" she cried out, reaching out for her mother. She suddenly felt herself being yanked backwards, and turned to see that her father was standing right in front her, a stricken expression on his face.

"A--Appa...?" she whimpered, slightly shocked at her sudden lack of words. But her father completely ignored her.

"Eun Mi..." he was stuttering. "Eun Mi...don't go...Eun Mi....I was wrong..." Cho Hee recalled her father's shaking heads and blank expression; the only thing that seemed even remotely human about him was his voice that seemed to crying in agony despite the way he appeared.

Cho Hee looked up at her father, her eyes starting to get watery by themselves for reasons which even she herself couldn't understand.

"Appa....what happened to omma...why is she--"

But Cho Hee didn't finish. Before she knew what was going on she realized her father too had suddenly flown off the front porch and gone after her mother, calling his wife's name. Without thinking, without even considering what could happen, she threw her umbrella and book to the ground and ran back out into the rainstorm, which was falling even harder than before.

"OMMA!" she cried. "APPA!"  Just up ahead she could see the slight silhouette of her father, which was occasionally lit up by a bright flash of lightning.

She'd never ran so far and so fast in her life, and she could feel her breath starting to reflect her conditions. Her feet started to hurt, and she thought that she wouldn't be able to continue when she suddenly saw two silhouettes facing each other in the clearing ahead. She ran closer and closer and realized it was without doubt her parents. She scrambled behind a nearby light post to catch her breath.

As she did she realized her mother and father were yelling at each other, in tones she'd never heard them use ever before. They were standing there in the middle of the street, seemingly accusing each other under a raging storm. Cho Hee, as a 7-year-old, couldn't understand much at the time, and she recalled herself wondering why they couldn't do this at home and why they had to suffer standing in the middle of a raging storm that was getting worse. She recalled herself starting to shiver, as she watched her dad pull on her mom's and seemingly begging her to do something. She couldn't see their faces well, so she wasn't fully sure what the situation was. She only caught on to a few words like "why" or "woman" and "fool".

At last, she breathed a sigh and realized she'd had enough. Whatever her parents were doing, she was sure they'd listen to her and come back. She took her deep breath as another loud crash of thunder came down from above, and stepped out to approach her mother and father.

"Omma!" she cried out, cupping her hands over . Her mother and father turned to look at her, and it wasn't the reaction she'd expected. As they caught sight of her, their expressions seemed shocked and confused, as if they wanted nothing less than for her not to be there at that moment. 

"Cho Hee..." her father spoke to her for the first time since she'd come back home. He quickly walked over and grabbed onto his daughter's hand. Cho Hee smiled at the familiar comfort of her father's touch."What are you doing h--"

His words were suddenly cut off short as he realized that he'd let go of Cho Hee's mother and that she had started to run away again. Cho Hee watched as her mother ran down the walkway away from the both of them. It was only now that Cho Hee realized her mother had been crying, as she brought her arm up to wipe away her tears.

"EUN MI!" her father yelled out as her mother swerved off the sidewalk and onto the road.

Cho Hee suddenly felt a dreaded feeling wash through her, as she felt a terrible omen fade through her mind. She started to reach her hand out and prepared to run after her mother.

"OMMA!"

Suddenly, a terrifying bright flash of white lightning streaked through the entire city sky, brighter than anything she'd ever seen before in her life. She heard a sudden piercing scream, but afterwards she heard nothing more. Everything around her turned white for a moment, blinding her and taking away her every sense for a moment. She couldn't see her father or mother anywhere, and it was by far the most frightnening seconds of her life.

It felt like forever until the lightning streak finally faded away, and the familiar city lights of Seoul once again returned to eyes of Cho Hee. She breathed a sigh of relief, and spun her head around to find her parents. She caught sight of father first, and realized he was standing in a very stiff position. He seemed to be staring at something with an extremely dazed and shocked expression, and without suspecting a thing, she slowly followed her father's stricken gaze.

The thunder's crash felt as if it was right next to Cho Hee's ears.

Cho Hee's eyes widened as the first thing they saw were two bright headlights of car, blaring and glaring at her accusingly and viciously. The last thing she remembered was seeing her father fall down to his knees with wide eyes, her mother's limp arm, and splashes of crimson red everywhere, blinding her sight.

And all that could be heard throughout the city of Seoul at that moment, was a tortured cry of a young girl, screeching through the silence of the night.

 

****************

 

It'd been two years since that terrible accident that'd scarred her for life, and Cho Hee wrapped her arms around her head and buried them into her knees. Everyone was having fun jumping around, chasing each other around, laughing and having the time of their lives as every kid should, everyone but her. 

They don't know anything about life, Cho Hee thought to herself, as she sat against the wall of her school, staring at them with envious, slitted eyes. They don't know what it's like to be abandoned by the person who you thought loved you the most in your life.

At first her mother's death had been a terrible thing to her. She cried for weeks and weeks and she didn't think she'd ever be able to get over it. It was her mother, the woman who'd raised her, who'd made her happy when she was sad, who comforted her when she was alone. Who else could be more precious to her than that woman? She couldn't believe that her mother really was gone, and every night she'd go to bed crying, hoping that it was all just a terrible nightmare.

And then reality struck her when her father remarried. The daughter of a rich man was interested in him, and he had accepted. It happened only a year after Eun Mi's death, and Cho Hee couldn't believe the news when her father had announced it to her. She remembered crying and throwing a temper tantrum, and asking him how dare he betray her mother. He put up with her a first, but days went by and she couldn't stop pestering him, at which point he finally snapped.

"YOUR MOTHER'S DEAD!" he'd yelled at her, silencing her immediately. "SHE LEFT US! NOTHING'S GOING TO MAKE HER COME BACK AND NOTHING'S GOING TO CHANGE EVEN I DON'T MARRY AGAIN!"

Cho Hee was crushed that day, and those words struck her hard. And sure enough, her father did what he said and married the very next day, even without the presence of his only daughter. She'd hated him, depised him, and couldn't understand how he had the heart to do such a thing. The words he'd said that day replayed over and over in her mind, and the more she'd tried to make sense of it, the more confusing it got.

She left us, he'd said...Cho Hee thought. But she said she would never abandon me.....she told me to always stay happy.....she said she'd loved me.......how could she leave me...

But unfortunately for her, the more she thought about, the more she realized her father's words were indeed the truth. Her mother's lips had spoken the first and last lie Cho Hee had ever heard from her. If she really didn't want to abandon her, then why was it that on that very day all Cho Hee could see was her mother's backside, shrinking and dissapearing away from her without a look backwards. The more she thought about it, the more she realized that even her own mother didn't love her enough to tell her the truth.

And on that day, Cho Hee sat there by the school wall, reminiscing her painful past while everyone else ran past her as if she was invisible. She was used to it though. Both at school and at home: although her stepmother was nice to her, she knew it was all pretense and was only to gain the respect of her father. And her father....he never looked once her way any more. So there she sat, her new lacy dress that her stepmother had bought her the other day. She felt like a clown with all her lace and flowers and curls that her appearance was boasting so shamelessly. She hated it. It was all pretense. A mask to hide her depressed self. It was tough for a 9-year-old to handle so much...

At that moment, she suddenly felt a shadow cover her. Cho Hee felt the presence of another person in front of her, and slowly and timidly she lifted her head upwards to see who it was. 

"Um...annyong, pretty lady...."

It was a young boy that seemed to be the same age she was. She was sure he'd seen him around before. He had soft, light brown hair and eyes that shone beautifully in the sunlight. He had a quirky and mischievous smile on his face, and the way the wind blew this hair and clothes was unearthly in some way. But that wasn't the strange thing that Cho Hee first noticed about him.

He was dressed in white from head to toe, and for the first time, she realized his smile was rather angelic.

"What do you want?" she asked coldly, without even bothering to sound friendly or welcoming. She avoided looking him in the eyes, as she usually did when she talked to anybody.

"You know, you should really look people in the eye when you talk to them."

She could hear what she translated as an obnoxious smirk in his voice, and naturally, it made her blood boil. She gripped the hem of her white dress and bent her head down even lower.

"Pathetic creature..." she snarled suddenly, clenching her teeth. Such in-depth vocabulary coming from a primary school student would startle any adult. "Do you not know who I am?" In her mind she counted the many times she'd used this phrase before, the same way she clenched her teeth, the same way she let a shadow cast over her face--it had always been enough to let someone back away from her in fear.

She could see the boy's feet shuffling. Ah...so he's finally scared....

"Ne, you are a human," came the response.

Startled, Cho Hee's eyes suddenly flared up. Overwhelmed with the shock and confusion of the situation, she let her anger control her next actions. As she stood up defiantly, her dressed flared out and brushed against the brick wall. Some of the fake pearls that had already been dangling loosely onto tore off at once and hit the ground like rain drops. Without thinking, she grabbed onto the white collar of the stranger's shirt with an immense amount of strength for a 7-year-old and glared angrily into his eyes.

And all at once, she froze immediately.

She suddenly felt all the fuming emotions drain away from her completely, as she saw her own reflection in the boy's eyes. But that wasn't what surprised her, not at first anyways. This was the first time she'd ever looked deeply into anyone's eyes in a while, but even she could tell that there something different about these pairs of eyes. There was deep twinkle in the soft, brown pupils, unoticeable at first but unavoidable after you'd spot it. The most surprising thing of all was, despite her sudden outburst, they were still completely calm and resonant. They were practically glowing and unearthly, and she felt an overwhelming and unfamiliar sensation pass through her as she looked into them, forgetting everything she was about to say.

"You were about to say something...?" the boy said slowly, surprisngly not the least bit dazed by the fact that her grip was still tightly on his collar.

Cho Hee could only stare back at him, slightly dazzled. He chuckled lightly as he pulled her hand off his collar. Surprisingly, she was completely obedient and let his touch guide her.

"I apologize, but I've been rude," he continued. Cho Hee realized that his voice was calming and mesmerizing, and it was the type of voice that could easily put you into a soft, comfortable sleep. "We should introduce ourselves to each other." He was surprisnly charming for a grade school kid. Cho Hee was about to say her name when he stopped her.

"You are Huang Cho Hee, the daugher of the prestigious Huang Junghwa and Kim Min Soo. Your family recently struck large with a few large investments and are climbing a golden ladder to success in the world of business. However, you yourself are unhappy, because you suffered a terrible past. About a year ago, the news reported a tragic death of a beautiful yet talented young artist named Lee Eun Mi, and I think I better not say more. Ever since then you've been venting your feelings by living your life in misery, secluding yourself from everybody, including your own family." His vocabulary was extremely impressive, and his charisma overwhelming.

And because of that, Cho Hee looked extremely afraid for a moment.

"H-how do you know all this?" she whimpered, showing weakness for the first time since her mother's death.

At this, the boy broke into a wide smile.

"Because..." he winked at her. "I am Teuk. And I'm an Angel. An Angel Without Wings."

Cho Hee blinked a few times, clearly showing her disbelief.

"You don't believe me?" said "Angel Teuk". "Watch this."

He held out the palms of his hands, startling Cho Hee. He brought one hand over the other, as if he was about to do a magic trick. She watched intently as he suddenly squished his eyes shut.

"Nuni bushyeo bushyeo bushyeo....Sumi makhyeo makhyeo makheyo...Niga michyeo michyeo..." His words were suddenly chanted in a song-like spell, while doing complicated hand motions that Cho Hee couldn't follow.

"Miinah~" he whispered. "When I open my eyes, you will be sad no more.....SSAAAA!"

His eyes flashed open brightly, and his palms opened. His legs were spread apart and his expression looked something close to paranoid.Cho Hee stood still for a second, blinking her big eyes and stared at him confusedly.

...and then she burst out laughing.

"BUOYA?!!!" she cackled uncontrollably. "WHAT WAS THAT?!! ARE YOU CRAZY?!!" She continued laughing loudly, and at this point she was starting to catch the attentions of those around her.

The boy shrugged. "That's always a possibility," said he, as he leaned just slightly closer to her. "But I did make you happier, didn't I?" He held out his right hand to her.

At once, her giggling fit stopped, as she caught sight of his extended hand. Without thinking, she grabbed onto it before her brain could tell her to do anything else. He pulled her up beside him, and she stared at him silently, as if she was in a hypnotized trance. Had she been more alert, she just might've realized that all the young girls around her age were whispering to one another, jealously raging through their eyes. Cho Hee wasn't the only who'd noticed this young boy's angelic and somewhat mature beauty: everyone else had way before she did.

"Just who are you really...?" she whispered, a whisper of innocence and purity, a tone she hadn't used in awhile.

The boy smiled and looked downwards. Then he turned up and stared into pearl blue sky, which Cho Hee never noticed how beautiful it truly was. 

"I'm your guardian angel," he smiled.

Cho Hee felt a lurching feeling in heart, and from that moment on, she knew she'd been trapped with the angel's curse.

 

****************

It'd been at many years since that day, but Cho Hee still remembered it as if it had happened no longer than a day ago as she stood there by the curtain, staring out into the lightning storm.

After she met Leeteuk, she changed into a different person completely. He'd encouraged her to be happy and enjoy life as it was, and obediently, she listened to him. She changed from a drab, boring outcast to a bubbly and always happy person whom everyone wanted to befriend. She chose a few friends out of the batch, but more than anyone she preferred the company of her first friend "Angel Teuk", and she was always by his side. Call it young love if you will, but she was extremely smitten with this hero who'd come to rescue her in her time of need, and she was only truly herself when she was with him.

Cho Hee remembered that one night where she went home and swore to herself that one day she would marry her "Prince Teukie". Of course, to anyone else it would've been a childish dream of young girl, but for Cho Hee it meant a promise to herself and her heart. She was more mature than all the other girls, and she knew it.

Which was why Leeteuk had to pick her.

But horrour struck her the day immediately right after that, as Leeteuk broke the news to her that he was moving away from high school. His dad had found a new job and he had no choice but to move away to another city, far from her. She remembered going home and crying all night, believing that she would never, ever see him again. Of course, she'd let no one know about her dreams and fantasies, so she was completely alone when they were shattered into a million pieces, seemingly with no way to repair them.

He was gone, her first love had gone.

Although both Cho Hee and Leeteuk had both moved on different ways, Cho Hee's heart remained loyal to this impacting first love of hers. She'd never seen anyone else since, and held onto the hope that he was also still as loyal to her. Of course, neither had ever proclaimed their love to one another, but she'd always felt it was true in her heart.

And what else could it be but a miracle when he appeared again almost literally right in front of her doorstep. It'd been so many years since she'd seen him, yet how could she ever forget the perfect hair, the innocent hairs and familiar half-smile that had enchanted her so long ago. She thought it was fate that this had happened, and for sure they were meant to be together.

But she was wrong.

She felt a searing pain flash through her heart.

Leeteuk had been with another girl.

At first she kept trying to convince herself that it wasn't true, and that they were just friends, but how could she any longer? She felt a tear run down her cheek as she stared at another bright flash outside. 

After so many years....it was all for nothing...

Because when Taeyeon ran outside into the pouring rainstorm...

...Leeteuk followed right after her....

 

So, now you know about Cho Hee! ^^
Yup, that's right, Park Baram was Park Baram even when he was 9 so DEAL WITH IT:P

Sorry for being AWOL so long...but there's work xD
Hope you liked the update, promise for Taeteuks next time ;)

Anyways, I g2g fast (again)
so here's a quick random picture time

I PRESENT TO YOU....THE MOST ATTRACTIVE MEMBERS OF SUPER JUNIOR EVA ;)