Yearning Hearts

Entwined Destinies

   Taengoo. The name rang in her head over and over again. No one had ever called her such a thing before, not even her friends. And the way he said it made her heart beat faster everytime she thought of it.
   "Ya!!! Kim Taeyeon!! Pay attention!! You keep zoning out!!"
    Taeyeon escaped from her little daydream.
   "Kim Hyoyeon!! How dare you use informal language to your unnie?!" she teased. Tiffany and Sunny joined in with laughing. The four were sitting in the library, doing some after-school studying.
   "Now I'll ask you one more time," Hyoyeon said, "How do you figure out this problem?" She pointed to jumble of numbers and letters that seemed meaningless at first glance. Taeyeon stared at it in silence.
   "None of us can figure it out," Hyoyeon admitted sadly, "And you should've covered this last year so--"
   "I don't know."
   "Boi?"
   "I don't know. I can't think straight right now."
   Hyoyeon stared at her weirdly. "Normally you'd figure this out in a flash," she said. She then simply shrugged her shoulders. She suddenly closed her books. "I'll just go ask Hyukkie-oppa."
   Sunny raised an eyebrow. "You trust that anchovy face?" she asked casually.
   Hyoyeon shrugged, "Why not?"
   "His grade average is the same as the number of times he's bothered to show up to class." Hyoyeon looked confused. "Not a very high number," Sunny clarified.
   Hyoyeon acknowledged that with a disdainful flick of the hand. "Eh, whatever. He's close to that Jinki dude, the school genius. There's that last resort."
  As she packed her books away and prepared to leave, Hyoyeon turned towards Taeyeon.
   "Don't think I let that one slide," she whispered quietly so the others couldn't hear. "There's something weird going on with you and I will find out what it is." She straightened up, said goodbye, and left 
the library.
   "Well, there goes one," Taeyeon muttered, "Araseo, we were doing--"
   "AHH! ANNYEO!!" screeched Tiffany suddenly.
   "Bwoya?!" Taeyeon and Sunny asked at the same time.
   "I completely lost track of time! My date with Siwon is in half an hour and I don't even know what to wear yet! Aish! Yoona is going to kill me!" she panicked in horror.
   "Ai, you oblivious child," Taeyeon said as Tiffany frantically packed her books up and zipped her bag together. "You'd better hurry, and don't worry about it, you'll look great in anything you throw 
together." Tiffany turned back and smiled at Taeyeon. "Komawoyo, unnie." She gave a quick wave and with that she rushed out the door.
   Taeyeon turned back to Sunny, who was looking a little nervous for some reason. Taeyeon saw through it right away.
   "Don't tell me, you've got somewhere to go to," she said.
   "Miahne, unnie, I was going to tell you later," Sunny pleaded, "Sungmin wants to help me practice some singing with the help of his guitar. I think it'd be really great to get some help from a sunbae so I just agreed."
   Taeyeon smiled as she saw where this was going. "Go ahead! Sungmin'll be great help to you." She lowered her voice. "You know he's pretty cute too." She gave Sunny a wink, who was starting to turn 
red. Taeyeon gave Sunny a little shove and waved goodbye. Sunny too dissapeared out the door, leaving Taeyeon sitting there by herself.
   Taeyeon's original intention was to stay and study a little more, but she found that her attention span was reduced even more after her friends left. With no reason to stay, she too, got up and left.
   Instead of heading straight home, she decided to head to the park and take in some fresh air, relax a little. As it was getting dark, there weren't very many people around. As she walked, she spotted 
a couple sitting in a coffee shop seemingly having the time of their lives. How she yearned to join them and their light-hearted world of soft glances and sweet smiles.
   She continued walking, people were dissapearing more and more as the night got darker. Taeyeon took in her surroundings and breathed the clear air for what seemed like the first time in a long while. She kept walking and suddenly found herself in an empty, secluded spot with no one around.

    "Sowoneul malhaebwa...ni mamsoke itneun jageun geumal malhaebwa..."

    The words flew out of Taeyeon's mouth in a melodic voice before she could help it. By nature, she was very shy, but when she sang to herself, she was confident and radiant and proudly stood in her lone spotlight.
   All of a sudden, she heard a sudden applause behind her. It was a lone clap, but at this time it meant a lot. She suddenly felt embarassed and scared at the same time. "Uh...nu goyah?" she asked coyly
   "You really have a very, lovely voice."
   With the last ounce of courage she had left, Taeyeon turned around to see who it was.
   "Eeteuk-oppa?!" Taeyeon cried in shocked.
   He laughed gently. "You don't want to see me that much?" he asked softly.
   "Ah, annyo," Taeyeon frantically answered, "It's just, you scared me a little, that's all."
   Leeteuk smiled again, this time wider. He turned his eyes to the stars and said, "You know you should really sing more often."
   "Wae?"
   "Your voice is beautiful."
   The two sat in silence for awhile. Why am I like this? Taeyeon thought, Why am I so nervous? We were pretty close after yesterday. How come I'm so afraid to talk to him?
   All of a sudden Eeteuk interrupted her thoughts. He grabbed her arm and declared, "Come! Let's go inside somewhere, it's starting to get cold."
   "N-ne." Taeyeon agreed and she let herself get dragged away by Leeteuk.
   They passed rows and rows of trees until they finally reached a small restaurant.
    "You haven't eaten since lunch, have you?" Leeteuk asked Taeyeon kindly.
   "How did you know?" Taeyeon responded with a shocked expression on her face.
   "I was stalking you."
   Taeyeon's face must've been truly grotesque at the comment because Leeteuk immediately laughed and said, "Relax. I'm just kidding."
   "Then how do you know?"
   He raised his hands to her cheeks and pinched them lightly. "What young lady would have such pale coloured cheeks at this time of day?" He smiled at her and nodded towards the door. "Come, you must be real hungry." And he pulled her inside.
   As they sat down, Taeyeon realized she hadn't said anything sensible during this whole period of time. In fact, she was still trying to get rid of the woozy feeling which started when he'd touched her cheeks.
  "Uh...it's a nice restaurant, right oppa?" she said slowly.
   Leeteuk looked up from the menu, as if shocked to hear her speak for the first time.
   "Ah, ne," he smiled, "The price is very good as well. The boys and I love going to this place after school. You're actually the first girl I've taken here." His smile broadened sheepishly.
   For some reason, Taeyeon felt her heart beat faster and that she couldn't take her eyes off him. She returned his smile and watched as he placed the order.
   "Isn't it strange?" she suddenly said.
   "Wae?" Leeteuk responded.
   "That I've only met you for the first time yesterday and now I trust you enough to be sitting here with you right now?"
  "It must be because that wasn't our first meeting," Leeteuk responded without looking up.
   Taeyeon stared at him, but she knew he was right. Yesterday, she'd had the same notions as him. She was about to ask him where he thought they'd met before but the waiter came out with their food.
   "Udon noodles!!!" he yelled. He placed the bowls down. Taeyeon stared at the bowl of steaming noodles, and before she could stop herself, she dug in and shoved anything she could in .
   Leeteuk looked at her with an entertained expression on his face. He gently tapped her shoulder.
   "Yah, pig-ajumma, slow down," he laughed. Taeyeon's head came up and looked at Leeteuk with noodles sticking out of .
   "Babo," she said, after was clear of food. "You knew I haven't had anything since lunch, take me to such a restaurant and expect me not to pig out. Miahne, AHJUSSI!"
   He stared and her, and they both burst out in laughter. After that, their conversation flowed as naturally as ever, and it was like they'd known each other all their lives.
   "And whenever she's around Sungmin-oppa her eyes are like this." Taeyeon imitated a face with her eyes enlarged to twice it's size and and overly lame yet aegyo smile. Eeteuk burst out into a wildly loud and obnoxious yet contagious laugh. Taeyeon couldn't help but laugh along at her own joke.
   "Aigo, Taengoo is too funny!" Eeteuk complimented, with tears in her eyes.
   Taeyeon was stunned for a second. He called me Taengoo...she thought. But this time she immediately snapped back to reality and smiled and sweetly said, "You too...Teukie-oppa."
   He stopped laughing and looked deeply into her eyes, and this time she didn't turn away. More like, she couldn't.
   "Taengoo-ah, you're too kind."
    She'd never noticed how perfect and mesmerizing his eyes were, they seemed to make his angelic smile more beautiful. He truly was an angel without wings. She thought she saw him moving closer and closer to her.  She couldn't move, his gaze was too enchanting, too spellbinding, too--
   "Ah, Donghae-oppa!! This is such a nice restaurant!!"
   At the sound of the familiar voice, Taeyeon finally broke away from Eeteuk's gaze and whirled around in her seat. She saw Eeteuk do the same, and the horror crossed their faces at the same time: entering the door laughing and joking around were Yoona, Donghae, Tiffany and Siwon.

And the danger arrives!! Imagine how you would feel if your best friend was sneaking around with one of your guy friends around your back without telling you! Taeteuk is in trouble!!! :O