Triple Madness

How Passion Brought Us Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE: Triple Madness

{ "No, you stop it." } * Click for BGM!

 

 

Once boarded onto the train to Busan, Hyejung, Kai, and Luhan wandered down the halls. With the deer-eyed boy glancing about and leading the way, Kai and Hyejung were side by side with their arms unconsciously brushing against each other. They both noticed the action a second later, but didn't have the nerve to say a thing. 

"So," Kai started flatly, keeping his narrowed eyes fixated on Luhan's back. "What is he doing here?"

"Well, apparently he's just tagging along with us is all," Hyejung stole a quick glance up at the lad, knitting her brows. "Why are you so antsy about it? It's just Lu-"

"How did he know you were going to Busan?" Kai interrogated, sparing Hyejung only a mere side-glance. His handsome face seemed sharper than usual with a subtle darkness foreboding his eyes.

"I texted him," Hyejung deadpanned, stuffing a hand in one of her baseball jacket's pockets. And Before Kai can question her quizzically, she continued with, "I just felt like it was good for him to know where we're going, y'know?"

Kai breathed through his nostrils, looking noticeably irritated. "Well then, how did he get his ticket so fast when you told him just yesterday?"

"I actually told him this morning," she corrected, flicking her bangs as she skirted past a vacationing couple. "He knew about everything about Aunt Jae's condition and stuff, so I guess he bought the tickets as soon as he heard."

"And you legitimately told him about your aunt?" Kai asked, scoffing lightly when he leaned his head back, trying to digest his incredulous assumption. "I can't believe this."

Hyejung stopped in her tracks and looked up at the lad, scandalized. "What?"

Kai stopped as well, and he felt salty emotions erupting as he stared into Hyejung's eyes and rambled, "Well you told him, and you didn't even bother telling me straight in my face before I got that-"

Hyejung kicked Kai's foot, making him stop in mid-sentence and yelp at the sudden pain. "Did I even say that?" she asked in a serious tone, unfazed as she watched Kai reach down to rub his foot. As she continued to speak, her voice got gradually louder. "He overheard me, you idiot. I don't understand this, like, why are you asking so many freaking questions and making so many stupid freaking-" 

"Excuse me," the railroad engineer popped his head out of a nearby room, receiving wide-eyed stares by both Hyejung and Kai. His voice was deep and monotone. "Inside voices please."

Kai cleared his throat and immediately bowed, giving the older man an apologetic, straight look. "Sorry, sir. My girlfriend has anger management issues."

With Hyejung gaping open and close like a suffocated goldfish, the railroad engineer nodded indifferently. "Peasants," he muttered, and disappeared back into the room with an strange, creepy aura to his bland movements.

The second the door closed shut, Hyejung slowly turned her head up to Kai, her eyes narrow and face in a menacing scowl. "You did not just say that."

Kai blinked, his lips quirking up into a innocent, boyish grin. "Hm? Say what?"

"That, that-!" she blabbered, thrashing her arms and getting into Kai's face. Hyejung groaned, bringing her arms down to her sides begrudgingly. "Augh, you know what I mean."

"Oh?" Kai tilted his head, but his lips formed into 'O' when he realized what Hyejung's meant. "I don't think I know what you mean, hun. Honestly."

"Y-Your...your, ugh, never mind," Hyejung spat, averting Kai's gaze with bitterly jutted lips. "I'm not that to you, s-so don't say anything." For some strange reason, the words felt uncomfortably bitter on her tongue. It felt like they rolled out of in a sprinkle of reluctance. 

Kai tousled his own brown locks. "Ohh that! Sorry. It slipped by accident." He chuckled airily.

Hyejung cocked a brow. "Of course it did," she huffed, storming up ahead with a heated face. How can Kai blatantly suggest Hyejung as his girlfriend so...normally? The way he said, it was almost like it was the truth, and perhaps he wanted it to be the truth. It was flabbergasting, and made the pit of her stomach gurgle. And it wasn't just because she was craving chocopies.

Luhan finally turned around and stopped in front of cabin #13, smiling slightly when Hyejung sauntered up to him. "It's gonna be quite a long ride. Are you gonna be okay, Hyejung?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, it's okay. I rode on the bus from Busan to Seoul, and that took way longer than taking the train," Hyejung said, taking a brief peek inside the cabin. "I'll be fine. Why you ask?'

Luhan chuckled, ruffling her fringe. "Just because." He smiled, making Hyejung bite her lip and her gaze fall. Kai noticed this, and immediately picked up his stride.

"So, is everything okay? I heard noises." Luhan said, and his eyes darted briefly back to Kai, who caught his instantly gaze and scrunched his nose at the blond. "Were you fighting with Kai?"

"Uh, well, I guess. But it was nothing particularly serious," Hyejung mumbled, scratching the nape of her neck. "We do that all the time."

"Yup," Kai sighed, throwing an arm loosely over Hyejung's shoulders. "It's a way of showing our undying affection to one another." Hyejung's face contorted in disgust, and she slid the boy's arm deftly off of her in agitation. In return, Kai cheekily stuck his tongue out.

"Oh. Well, okay. That's nice," Luhan promptly answered, glancing unsurely between the pair. He strolled first into the cabin, taking a seat on the right side. "If you like, you can sit beside me, Hyejung." He patted the spot beside him encouragingly.

Hyejung shrugged, shuffling inside. "Mm, sure." She placed her backpack down, and right when she was about to place her rear end down, she felt someone briskly tug at her wrist, making her fly to the other side of the small cabin. "Hey!"

Kai shrugged coolly, plopping Hyejung down right beside him, hip to hip. "We're sorry, but Seo Hyejung is currently out of service for pretty boys such as yourself."

Luhan raised a brow. "Excuse me?"

Hyejung snorted, fighting the strong urge to punch Kai in the guts. "Yah, wat do you think I am? A freaking sales item?" She attempted on pulling her arm out of Kai's grasp, but his hold was too secure. "And Kai, would you let go of me?" she protested, recklessly stirring in her seat.

Kai pouted. "Do I have to?"

"Well, you kinda need to," she pressed, finally slipping her arm out of Kai's protective grip. "You're gonna make me die of loss of circulation." She rubbed her arm vigorously, standing up to her feet and setting herself beside Luhan.

Ever since Kai harmlessly referred to Hyejung as his 'girlfriend' to the taciturn stranger, her entire system would go inwardly haywire when she was too close to him. Perhaps she just much needed rest, Hyejung thought, rubbing her temples tiredly.

With a deep long yawn emitting from , Hyejung gave one last weird look to Kai who stared at her like a begging puppy. She closed her eyes and bowed her head slightly, folding her arms over her chest.

Kai exhaled inaudibly, turning his attention directly to the boy opposite of him. "Why are you even in here?"

"Why? In this room?" Luhan glanced down at the ticket in his hand, looking back up at Kai. "I'm assigned this cabin."

"Well, too bad," Kai deadpanned in a low voice. "Go somewhere else."

Hyejung opened an eye, seeing through a mere slit. "Yah-"

Luhan tilted his head, a coy vibe to him. "Do you really expect me to allow you and Hyejung to stay in a confined space for two hours so easily?" 

Kai slouched in his seat. "Well unlike you, I'm almost always alone with Hyejung." sense of pride in his tone. 

Luhan chuckled quietly. "Sometimes I'm afraid of what really runs through your mind, Kim Jongin."

Hyejung groaned agonizingly, her eyes closed shut and her swaying head leaning against the backboard. "Guys, just close your freaking eyes and shut your damn mouths. I'm trying to actually sleep here."

"Sorry," they whispered in unison, and they immediately exchanged competitive, grimacing looks before finally getting comfortable in their seats.

~*~

It was only an hour into the journey, and unlike Luhan and Hyejung, Kai was wide awake. 

With his arms crossed over his chest and his legs spread, he stared at the pair's every unconscious movement, not sparing his hooded eyes a gracious blink. Luhan just sat very still, his head tilted downwards ever-so-slightly. Hyejung had her limp legs propped up on her free side, and Kai was counting every single centimeter lost as she gradually leaned her body towards Luhan's.

Kai's eyes widened in intensity, and right when Hyejung was about to flop her head onto Luhan's shoulder, the attentive lad suddenly leaped out of his seat and swiftly slid his hand right between Luhan's and Hyejung's heads. He froze, wincing as he waited for a reaction; to his utter relief, the pair remained fast asleep.

Heaving a deep sigh, deflating his puffed cheeks, Kai glanced thoughtfully at the given situation at hand (literally). When the imaginary light bulb flicked in his head, he nodded affirmatively to his plan with a smirk.

Using the back of his palm that slid in between the heads, Kai leaned to the right, cautiously making Hyejung separate with Luhan. Without anymore hesitation, Kai slipped his hands and arms underneath of Hyejung and picked her up bridal style. She relaxed in his grasp, thankfully, as the lad slowly spun around and placed her deftly down on his side of the cabin.

Once that was accomplished, Kai breathed in relief, knowing how grumpy Hyejung can get when she's disturb from her slumber. He sat down beside her, making a childishly mocking face towards Luhan who didn't get to see the expression since he was still in his peaceful dreamland. 

Kai turned his head to Hyejung, gazing down at her calm face with a broad, endearing smile. He brushed her bangs to the side, chuckling quietly when her nose scrunched up. He found it adorable.

Straightening himself up and getting comfy once again, Kai lowered Hyejung's head onto his own shoulder, trying to contain the excited little thumps inside of him. It was that one surreal feeling; the feeling he gets when their together like this, warm and tender.

"Wha..?" Hyejung mumbled incoherently, mostly still in her sleepy state. "Kai? What am I doing-" she lifted her head, but Kai brought it back down on her shoulder.

"Stop," he murmured, holding her in place still she closed her eyes again. "You need sleep. Besides, my shoulder's much more comfortable than Luhan's."

"Mm," Hyejung grunted, slapping Kai's arm lamely. "Yah, go to sleeeep you...y-you baboon," she drawled lowly, falling out of it once again.

Kai opened his mouth to blabber on, but he just ended with a soft, "Arasso." He didn't want to face an angry bear-like Hyejung.

Resting his head down timidly on the girl's own head, Kai pursed his lips for a moment, indulging in the silence. Almost like a reminder, he knew that Hyejung meant something so much more to him.

"Hyejung," he whispered amidst a sigh, inhaling the faint lavender scent her brown locks possessed. "I think I learned to like you much more than I originally planned. I don't know how long I can contain it." He gradually closed his eyes, drifting off to asleep with her heart on his mind.

~*~

Another hour passed, and soon the train's whistle was vibrantly blowing, stirring Hyejung out of her sleep with a string of dreadful, incoherent moans. She covered her arms over her eyes, sloppily slouching deeper into the seat. 

Luhan picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder, taking a sneak peek out the window to see the passengers bustling out. With a  spin on his heels, he chortled at Hyejung's careless position.

"Yah, Hyejung. It's time to get up." He leaned down, waving his hand in front her face.

"Eh? We're here..?" Hyejung straightened her postures and stretched her back, rubbing her eyes. "Ahh. Already?" 

Luhan nodded affirmatively, chuckling in a sweet tone. "Yes, already."

Hyejung finally stood up to her feet, tousling her brown tresses as she scanned the small premises of the cabin. "Hey, where did the baboon go?" 

"The baboon..?" Luhan blinked, clueless. "Oh! You mean Kai? He said he wanted to go get something for you." He placed on foot out of the cabin. "I'll go get a couple of maps and stuff. I'll be waiting outside." And with that and a smile, he left. 

Hyejung raised both eyebrows, her eyes downcast and utterly quizzical. "Get something? For me?" she snorted. "What the heck does he-"

"Ah, you're finally awake." Kai popped back into the room, an elated beam upon his face. It took Hyejung by surprise, but in a good way that made her stomach swirl pleasantly.

"Oh, there you are," she groaned, staring at the boy accusingly. "Where the hell were you? You should have at least told us where you were going," Hyejung muttered, flicking her bangs out of her eyes. She didn't know why she particularly cared so much, but she couldn't put it off. 

Kai smiled, a hint of mischief in his orbs. "Here,"  he came up to Hyejung and carefully placed a hot cocoa in her grasp. "It's a bit chilly outside, so I want to make sure your hands and stomach are nice and warm."

"O-Oh," Hyejung stared at the hot beverage in her hands, taking a quick whiff of the delightful aroma. "Ah, uh, thanks. But Kai, I didn't really nee--"

"And since it's chilly, you should definitely bundle up." Kai whipped out a brand new forest green scarf, bought from the mini souvenir shop right at the train station, and wrapped it around Hyejung's neck, covering over her chin and mouth. Kai gave a single once-over before ruffling her hair out of habit, grinning crookedly at Hyejung's serio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter