Mine

How Passion Brought Us Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE: Mine

{ This was getting complicated. } * Click for BGM!

 

 

It was Friday afternoon, and since it was Friday, it meant that the Exo-K boys were hanging out at Suho's house.

But this time, there was no Hyejung present.

"Chanyeol, stop it."

"Oh dear lord, Sehun, not you too!"

"Guys, please. Have mercy on us."

The boys were lounging in the den, watching the latest live performance of Sistar19's Gone Not Around Any Longer on the television. It seemed like the two said boys were really into it, sitting on the coffee table and swipping their butts in a not-so-subtle manner. 

While five of the boys guffawed, joked, and argued nonsensically, Kai silently sunk deeper into his seat on the couch, away from the noise. He stared endlessly at his phone, waiting for a text, phone call, email, or anything from Hyejung.

His thoughts were all about her; from wondering where she is right now, to how she's feeling, then to why she wasn't here with him...by his side. It seemed scandalous, perhaps even greedy to be thinking this way, but he couldn't contain the deep, true feelings inside of him.

He had to admit that these feeling developed and became more than a simple puppy-love crush, but it wasn't love just yet. After seeing himself and the way he coyly treats the opposite gender, he couldn't see himself completely and utterly in love.

But he thought that Hyejung might be the one and only exception.

Kai sighed. All this pondering was starting to get increasingly difficult to process. However, he continued to go deeper into his thoughts of Hyejung, starting with her recent behavior. 

It was strangely peculiar and different. Kai furrowed his brows, looking back to the not-so-distant past. To what he remembered, it started after Valentine's Day, and as the days progressed Hyejung began to act rather...small, in a way, around him. 

Suho quickly noticed Kai's quiet behavior, and approached him. "Kai."

"Oh. Yeah, Suho-hyung?" Kai asked, blinking his eyes up to the older boy.

"You seemed troubled," Suho stated, carefully taking his seat beside Kai. Being the caring leader he is, the boy wanted to know what his younger friend was feeling.

Kai shrugged. "It's nothing. I was just thinking."

Suho pursed his lips, clasping his hands loosely. "May I ask what you were thinking about? Or perhaps who?"

Kai hesistated. "Hyejung," he quietly said, sparing Suho a quick glance before looking back down at his phone. "I was thinking about Hyejung. Actually, I am."

"Oh?" Suho looked at Kai in interest, trying to clearly read Kai's face. "Why are you thinking about her?"

"I - I'm just thinking about her, hyung," Kai mumbled, exasperating a quiet sigh. "I don't know. Lately, I just feel like she's been avoiding me or something."

"Avoiding you?" Suho repeated. "Why, did something happen?"

"Not that I know of," Kai said. "She's just...she just hasn't been acting like herself lately. She's always looking down at her feet, letting her hair cover her face, biting her lips, shuffling her feet-"

"You look like you were paying attention," Suho mused, an innocent smile on his graceful features.

Kai felt his face heat up, and the boy just cleared his throat to let the awkwardness slide. "Yeah, well, she's just been acting very-"

"Flustered?" Suho answered, and Kai stared at him incredulously. 

"What do you mean, hyung? Why would she be flustered? Flustered as in sick?" Kai asked, trying to dig deeper. "What is she feeling right now?"

Suho shrugged, his lips broadening in playfulness. "Don't ask me. That's something for you to find out all by yourself." The elder stood up to his feet, patting Kai's shoulder. He strode back over to the rambunctious boys, leaving Kai to think even more. 

"I got to stop this. If I start to avoid her now, than this isn't going to get anywhere," Kai said in a light tone, taking out his phone and composing a message.

 

To: stubborn mule/oo 

hey where u at? 

the guys and i are already here at your/suho's house

 

Kai held his phone under his loose grasp, taking a quick once-over at what the boys were doing.

"Man you guys, I'm really craving for some bacon," Chanyeol groaned, plopping into the deep lazy boy. "It sounds so good right now."

Baekhyun whirled his head to the giraffe-like boy, his facing forming into a horrified expression due to a mere misunderstanding. "Wh-What?!" 

"Really? Bacon is nice, but I kinda like deer meat too," Sehun beamed, his eyes curving into a pair of cute crescent moons. "It's delicious! Oh, and when the deer's alive, it's absolutely pretty and beautiful!"

Kai rolled his eyes, going back to his phone as the boys' ridiculous loudness grew more vibrant.

 

From: stubborn mule/oo ;3 

sorry, im chillin with luhan 

why? oh crap, did the house freakin burn down?

 

*She's hanging out with him again?* Kai scoffed in disbelief, his throat drying in agitation. He felt his clammy grip on his phone tightened as he speedily texted her back.

 

To: stubborn mule/oo ;3

well no the house didn't burn down, thank god. lol

that's nice i guess...what time will you be home?

~*~

Hyejung continued to stroll through the city streets and market places as the afternoon progressed, enjoying Luhan's playful company. 

"Texting Kai, I see?" the deer-eyed boy mused, leaning over mischievously.

"Huh?" Hyejung whirled her head up Luhan, naturally moving back from the sudden intimacy. "Uh, yeah, it's Kai," she mumbled, her cheeks warming up. 

She pressed her thumb on 'Reply'.

 

 To: kkamjong the freaking baboon 

im guessin its gonna be late

what's it to you 

 

"What? You're going to ditch me?" Luhan asked, pouting.

"Unfortunately, no," Hyejung joked, side-glancing up at Luhan. "Kai- I mean, the guys were just wondering where I was."

Luhan's lips formed into a perfectly round 'O'. "Ohh. Hey, at least you're not ditching me! You'll remain mine for the day." His lips formed into a boyish grin upon his sweet façade. "Doesn't that sound inviting?" he asked in a hushed tone, subtly nudging the tomboy with his arm.

Hyejung punched the boy's arm. "Aish, shut it, Lu," she growled, her cheeks unconsciously tinting up.  Luhan chortled, turning his head to focus on the path ahead.

While Luhan had his head turned, Hyejung took out her phone again. 

 

From: kkamjong the freaking baboon

hey, I'm just wondering...don't murder me keke

anyway, don't be out for too long. be careful.

 

Hyejung blinked, dumbfounded by Kai's simple yet caring order. She breathed in and out, trying to shoo away the light fluttering feeling in her stomach. 

*There he goes again with his words. Damn him,* Hyejun hopelessly cursed, biting her lip with her cheeks a soft, pink color. She drew gaze downwards, knowing that the feelings she was going through grew noticeably stronger even at the littlest words.

"Is something wrong, Hyejung?" Luhan asked, concerned. "You look rather flushed. Are you sick?"

"Wh-What?" Hyejung clumsily stuffed her phone in her pocket. "Um, no, I'm fine," she blurted, taking Luhan aback. 

"You sure..?" Luhan questioned, unconvinced. "Did Kai say something?"

Hyejung waved her hands frantically, brushing it off coolly. "Ah, pfft, nah. He's just - it's just," she sighed, her eyes downcast as she kicked a stone. "It's nothing."

"Well, okay...if you say so," Luhan mumbled, his lips formed into a thin smile. *She acts rather differently when Kai's brought up," he thought, side-glancing at his friend. *I hope she's all right. What's happening in you, Seo Hyejung?*

~*~

"Oh hell, no."

Luhan spun around, standing in front of a vast shopping center. "Aw come on, Hyejung! Shopping isn't that bad," he sing-songed, optimistic in his voice.

Crossing her arms stubbornly, Hyejung snorted. "Yeah, that's what you think," she huffed, blowing stray pieces of her fringe out of her eyes.

Hyejung was never one who favored shopping. If she ever did go (which was not often at all), she would be in and out within minutes; just quickly pick something loose, comfortable, and plain. Overall, she viewed shopping as some sort of chore.

Luhan rolled his eyes playfully. Without a second thought, he strode inside the mall with a determined kind of pace, tugging the reluctant Hyejung closely along the way. She would often jerk her arm in an attempt to be set free, but Luhan ignored her protests with a mischievous curve of his lips. 

Suddenly, Luhan stopped and looked at Hyejung with that handsome glimmer in his orbs.

"What's your favorite color?" he asked.

Hyejung curved an eyebrow upwards. "Uh, okay? That's a stupid question."

"So? Then answer the stupid question," Luhan remarked, his smile broadening into a cheeky grin. 

Hyejung furrowed her eyebrows, starting to trudge to who-knows-where. "You smile too much."

"Silly, it's because I'm with you," Luhan innocently said, reaching down to entwine their tender hands.

Hyejung's immediately eyes widened as she stared up at him in surprise. She scowled. "You're impossible, Luhan."

"Oh please. You're the one who's impossible," Luhan scoffed, nudging Hyejung's arm teasingly. He chuckled heartily, and Hyejung shook her head with the slightest grin formed on her face.

"Luhan?" the name rolled off Hyejung's tongue.

Luhan blinked, looking at Hyejung as he was waiting for an answer.

Hyejung quickly became bashful at Luhan's curious gaze, drawing her attention to the worn tips of her converse. "I, er, don't have a favorite color," she mumbled, shrugging. "Just pick anything, I guess."

Luhan blinked. "So it's up to me, huh?"

Hyejung shrugged yet again. "Seems like it."

Luhan hummed in pleasure, his eyes forming into the cute shape of crescents. "Ah, okay. I think I know just where to go."

It was easier than done. Luhan ended up leading Hyejung to a great number of various shops, ordering her to try on all sorts of different dresses. 

Yes. Dresses.

From frilly or straight, short or long, strapless or not, Hyejung was practically forced to try all of them on. It was awfully tiresome for Hyejung, but Luhan seemed to be enjoying it whole-heartedly; seeing Hyejung in gorgeous dresses that complimented her petite frame was definitely the high-light of his day. 

Although, he wished Hyejung was more chipper about it like he was.

Hyejung randomly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter