Christmas

How Passion Brought Us Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: Christmas

{ But her heart felt otherwise at the moment. 

It felt lonely. } * Click for BGM!

 

 

Winter break had finally arrived.

As the chilly days flew by, it didn't take long for Christmas day to come.

Sitting on a chair by her bedroom window, Hyejung gazed out as she watched the light snowflakes gently dance towards the ground. The busy, distant voices coming from downstairs didn't seem to stir Hyejung one bit as she sat there in deep thought.

With her eyes slowly focusing downwards to the carpeted floor, Hyejung heaved a quiet sigh. 

Christmas.

Christmas is a time of reflection and joy.

And it's also a time where your dearest loved ones come to mind.

Hyejung frowned, blowing her tangled bangs out of her eyes. She looked out the window once more,  loosely clasping her hands together. "Umma," she quietly started, now staring up at the white clouds out the window. "I know I may sound stupid, or just plain ridiculous, but...the times where it was just the two of us..spending Christmas together. I miss those days. I really miss you." 

With her eyes softened, Hyejung propped her feet onto her chair and hugged her legs close to her body. 

Memories soon came to mind.

 

---

Flashback:

"Hyejung-ah! Are you going to help me out with the Christmas tree?" Mrs. Seo cheerfully called, carrying a box of Christmas decorations from the attic into the small living room.

A young voice was heard, coming from another room, "Oh! Yeah, I'm coming! You better not start without me, Umma!" 

Mrs. Seo playfully rolled her eyes, placing the box down on the carpet. 

Within a few quick moments, eight-year-old Hyejung bounced into the living room. Her short, boyish hair widely flailed about as she reached out to tug on her single mother's sleeve.

"Umma! I'm ready to help now!" Hyejung beamed, showing off a toothy grin.

Mrs. Seo chuckled, her brown eyes bright and gentle. "Arasso. Let's get started, yeah?" she smiled.

"Yeah! Let's do it!" Hyejung nodded numerous times, making her mother softly giggle to herself.

Although their Christmas tree was small and cheap compared to many others, Hyejung and her mother greatly enjoyed decorating that joyful evening.

Mrs. Seo would vibrantly hum to Christmas carols as Hyejung would hop and dance around, pretending to fly around the world like the familiar red-nosed reindeer. 

Taking a break from all the Christmas excitement, Mrs. Seo and Hyejung snuggled together on the old, cozy couch.

As Hyejung bit into her third Christmas cookie, Mrs. Seo ruffled her messy hair affectionately. "Do you like Christmas, Hyejung?"

"Huh?" the boyish girl looked up at her mother with round eyes, cookie crumbs falling out of . "Of course I do Umma! What kind of question is that?!" she bluntly asked.

Mrs. Seo laughed, wiping the small remnants of the cookie off of Hyejung's lips, "Hmm. Maybe I should be more specific." she gently nudged the young tomboy, making her giggle.

"Why do you like Christmas, Hyejung?" the woman asked, squeezing her daughter's shoulder.

"Because..." Hyejung furrowed her eyebrows, trying to think. "Because I get to spend it with you, Umma. It's the best thing in the whole wide world!" she stretched her arms as wide as she could. "What about you, Umma?"

Mrs. Seo's eyes curved into a soft eye-smile as she pecked her daughter's cheek. "I feel the same way, Hyejung." she nodded, a warm smile upon her tender face.

Hyejung smiled back, and she scooted closer to her mother. "Umma," she softly called out.

"Yes, Hyejung?" Mrs. Seo answered, shifting her eyes down to her daughter.

It was quiet before Hyejung finally spoke, "I wish Appa was here. I wish he didn't leave us, Umma," she quietly muttered, her eyes becoming droopy.

Thoughts and images of the woman's beloved husband filled her mind as she closed her eyes for a few long moments.

When Hyejung wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter