The Sleep Talker's Anaemia Nightmare

Dream or Reality?

The next morning I arrived at school and went to my first class of the day, English. I took my new seat next to Meghan and said hello. She meekly replied. I tried to ask her what was wrong but the teacher came in at that moment. The teacher rambled on and I stared at the board.

I heard a chair whine against the floor and then...*thump*. Everyone looked at me and people started screaming and gasping. I turned to Meghan’s desk and saw her on the floor. Her hair spread out across the floor, her eyes closed, her arms and legs slumped against the floor. The desks screamed as they were pushed to the side. I sat crouched next to Meghan the teacher on the other side.

I picked Meghan up, “I’ll take her to the hospital.” I said hurriedly as I carried Meghan out to the car park. ! I don’t have a car. I called Key.

“GET DOWN TO THE FRONT GATE OF THE SCHOOL NOW!” I screamed into the phone.

“What?” Key asked.

“I NEED YOUR HELP, ITS MEGHAN. I DON’T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED; I’LL EXPLAIN LATER JUST GET HERE NOW!” I yelled. I heard Key yelling at the others, keys jangling and doors slamming. When Key came back onto the phone he sounded out of breath.

“We’re on our way now.” He said as he hung up. I looked down at Meghan, her eyes were still closed. Her body felt so limp in my arms.

“What happened Meghan?” I asked, as expected no reply. Key, Onew, Jonghyun and Minho pulled up. I jumped in the car. It was a five seater so Key, Minho and I sat in the back with Meghan lying across our legs. It wasn’t the ideal position but it was all we could do. As we drove, Meghan’s head was in my lap. Key was in the middle squeezing her hand. And Minho was holding onto her legs. I pulled her hair out of her eyes and as her hair caught in the sunlight coming though the window of the car, she looked like a broken angel, whose halo was crushed by satin.

We arrived at the hospital and pulled into the emergency bay. I pulled Meghan out of the car and ran inside. A doctor came up to me pushing a gurney, as I lay her down the doctor yelled at some nurses who came to the sides of the gurney and pushed it down the hall. I ran next to them and they took her into the emergency room. A nurse blocked my path and told me to wait outside.

A couple of minutes later Onew, Minho, Key and Jonghyun came running towards me.

“Where is she?” Minho asked.

“In there,” I said pointing to the door next to me, “But we’re not allowed in yet.”

“What happened?” Jonghyun asked me.

“I don’t know, one minute I was sitting in English next to Meghan and the next thing I knew she had passed out.” I explained.

“Ok, let’s just wait and see what the doctor says.” Jonghyun said sitting down next to me hours passed by one by one and I kept thinking; what happened? Why did she faint? I hope she’s okay. Oh my gosh, what if it’s something really serious and the doctors can’t save her? No I don’t want to even think of a world without Meghan. I laughed. The others faced me.

“What’s so funny?” Minho asked.

“I’m laughing because it took an accident like this for me to realise I really like Meghan.” I said burying my face in my hands. I ran my fingers through my hair and looked at the others to see their expressions. They all looked shocked.

“So you finally admit it.” I heard a voice say. I turned to see Kris and the rest of EXO behind him. “Poor timing though.”

“What are you guys doing?” I asked.

“Dude, school finished and hour ago.” Lay said making me feel stupid.

“We found out through some rumours that a girl had collapsed in first period and that Taemin picked her up bridal-style and took her to the hospital.” Sehun explained. The door opened and a doctor came out.

“Are any of you here for Meghan?” the doctor asked.

“We all are here for Meghan sir” I said pointing to EXO and Shinee.

“Whoa, ok then. We’ve run some tests and the results have come back. I am very sorry to say but Meghan has severe anaemia.” The doctor said, “She is still asleep but you can come in and see her if you like.” We all nodded and followed the doctor into the room. He stood at the door. “I’ll give you a little privacy.” He said closing the door behind him.

 I went to the side of the bed and collapsed on my knees. I lay my head on Meghan's bed.

“Nngh.” I looked up to see the sound had come from Meghan.

“maybe we shouldn’t all be in here at once. Maybe just one person at a time.” Lay suggested. The others agreed.

“can I go first?” I asked. They nodded as they started leaving the room.

I took Meghan's hand and held it in m own. I shivered, her hand was so cold. She was on a drip. The needle in her arm looked so painful.

“Ngh.’ She stirred again, “Taemin...” I looked up, her eyes were still closed. So she’s a sleep talker then. I listened to see what she’d say next.

“Taemin... I finished the banana milk.” I stared at her, I hope to god she was dreaming and not confessing in her sleep. “Don’t be mad.”

“I’m not mad.” I found myself replying. I think she heard me because a little smile formed across her face.