Why are you treating me differently?

Dream or Reality?

Key POV

I still can’t believe it. Who knew her parents had died in a car crash.

When she left to get her stuff we all sat in silence until Kai spoke.

“Wow, I haven’t heard her voice in so long! Now I remember why all the guys in school used to like her.” We all shot him death glares. “I’m just saying.”

“In any case the fact that she can smile like that is a good thing right?” Jonghyun asked.

“Yeah, I don’t think that if I went through something like that, that I’d be able to keep living. It sounded like she was really close with them.” I said looking at my feet.

“Well, when we were at her parents grave she told me that her mom was everything to her and her dad was her best friend.” We all looked at Minho, “She also told me that she was their miracle because her mom wasn’t supposed to be able to bear a child. So she was everything to them. Imaging losing all that, no wonder she would go to their graves every day.”

“We have to try and be our normal selves around her ok; now that we know this we shouldn’t change how we treat her.” Onew commented. We all nodded.

When EXO left, I headed to my room and drifted off into the clouds.

 

Meghan POV

The next day at school, I had Maths first up. I took my usual seat, but because Alex and Sarah aren’t in my math class I sit on my own. The two desks either side of me were empty.

When the teacher came in I felt someone sit next to me. I turned to my left and saw Luhan sitting next to me! He waved and mouthed a ‘Hello’ I smiled and waved back. I turned to look at the board, my heart was racing, why on earth would he sit next to me. I mean sure, he knows my story but he doesn’t have to sit next to me.

Half way through class I accidently dropped my spare pencil on the floor. When I went to pick it up another hand had beat me to it. I saw Luhan sit back up and hand me my pencil.

“Thanks.’ I whispered.

“No problem.” He whispered back. My heart rate went up again. What is this?

When class was over I headed over to information technology. Kai was sitting in his usual seat and I took mine. The teacher announced the assignment and said it was going to be a group assignment. I silently moaned. I hate group assignments, people always get pissed at me because I don’t talk to them. And after all their complaining about me not talking we still get an ‘A’ because I end up doing the whole assignment. Fun! Not. The teacher called out the captains and I zoned out because knew I’d be left till last. Just as I was zoning out I heard someone say my name. It was Kai! He was one of the leaders and he called my name to be the first member of his group. Everyone stared at us. Kai was smiling but I wasn’t, I was totally embarrassed. As I stood behind Kai the other leaders pick their first members one by one. Kai stuck his hand behind his back and grabbed mine. He gave it a squeeze and my heart beat little faster. What is with the guys today? Oh my gosh, is it because now they know my story that they think I need comforting or something. What is with them, I’m perfectly fine.

After the rest of the members were picked we sat down at the desks. The teacher handed out the task sheet. We had to build and program robots using NXT. We have to tell a story through a song and dance with the robots. Oh gosh, how embarrassing. Kai allocated jobs to everyone and stopped when he got to me.

“Meghan, can you do the choreography and music?” Kai asked. The other two members of our group (a guy and a girl) and I looked at Kai.

“Can she even dance?” the girl asked. I nodded.

“Ugh! How are we supposed to work with her if she won’t talk?” the guy asked.

 

Kai POV

“Ugh! How are we supposed to work with her if she won’t talk?” Ren asked. Meghan squirmed in her seat for a second then sat up straight.

“Hi, my name is Meghan I will be in your group for this assignment; I would love to be in charge of music and choreography. Please take care of me.” she said as she bowed her head. Her voice sounded so sweet, like harp. She was so cute! Ren and Hye Mi stared at her.

“Ok then, let’s continue.” I said. Meghan smiled at me. She’s really pretty when she smiles. After class I said good bye to Meghan and headed off for lunch with the rest of EXO.

 

Meghan POV

After lunch I had Art. When I walked into class Sehun and Lay waved me to come and join them, as I walked over people stared at me. I don’t car, let them stare. I’ve decided to start talking in school again so it doesn’t matter what they think. As I sat down, I smiled at them.

“Hey guys, how are you?” I said. They both stared at me in shock and then relaxed.

“So you’ve come out of your shell?” Lay asked.

“I was never in one; I just didn’t see a reason to talk to people at school until now.” I replied.

“Yeah, Kai told us how you shocked Ren and Hye Mi in Information Technology at lunch.” Sehun said. I blushed.

“Yea, it was a bit weird at first but as you can see I adjusted really quickly.” I said.

“Yeah we can see that.” Lay said jokingly. I smiled at them and the teacher came in. Class seemed to zoom by and before I knew it I had to go to English.

I took my seat and pulled out my books. I saw someone slap down a bottle of banana milk on my desk. I looked to my right and saw Taemin who had his own banana milk in hand.

“You need to stop drinking mine so I bought you your own.” He said.

“Thank you.” I said smiling.

“Whoa, Kai wasn’t kidding. So you’ve decided to start talking to people at school again huh?” Taemin said. I nodded as I opened the milk and drank it.

“I think people are shocked by my voice.” I said.

“That’s because it’s so hoarse and croaked.” Taemin said grinning. I hit him on the arm, “Ow!”

“Serves you right.” I said.

“I was kidding, your voice actually sounds very pretty.” He said turning away. I blushed and looked at the board as the teacher came in.

“So, has everyone picked an English book for their assignment?” the teacher asked.

“Yes, miss.” The class replied. A couple of ‘no’s’ ran throughout the room.

“Well then would anyone like to read out to the class the first page of their book?” The teacher said scanning the room. She looked shocked when I raised my hand.

“Very well, Meghan. Please read the first page of your book.” Everyone turned to face me, they all looked surprised as I stood up and opened my book

“Chapter One, Grace. 15°F. I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves. They were me, biting me, worrying at my body, pressing in. Their huddled bodies blocked what little heat the sun offered. Ice glistened on their ruffs and their breath made opaque shapes that hung in the air around us. The musky smell of their coats made me think of wet dog and burning leaves, pleasant and terrifying. Their tongues melted my skin; their careless teeth ripped at my sleeves and snagged through my hair, pushed against my collarbone, the pulse at my neck.

I could have scream, but I didn’t. I could have fought, but I didn’t. I just lay there and let it happen, watching the winter-white sky go gray above me.

One wolf prodded his nose into my hand and against my cheek, casting a shadow across my face. His yellow eyes looked into mine while the other wolves jerked me this way and that.

 I held on to those eyes for as long as I could. Yellow. And up close, flecked brilliantly with every shade of gold and hazel. I didn’t want him to look away, and he didn’t. I wanted to reach out and grab a hold of his ruff, but my hands stayed curled on my chest, my arm frozen to my body.

 I couldn’t remember what it felt like to be warm.

Then he was gone, and without him, the other wolves closed in, too close, suffocating. Something seemed to flutter in my chest.

There was no sun; there was no light. I was dying. I couldn’t remember what the sky looked like.

But I didn’t die. I was lost to a sea of cold, and then I was reborn into world of warmth.

I remember this: his yellow eyes.

 I thought I’d never see them again.”

“Excellent reading Meghan, what book is that?” the teacher asked.

“Shiver by Maggie Stievfater.” I replied in English as I sat down.

After class Taemin came up to me.

“I didn’t know you could read like that. You sounded so American, I thought you were Australian.” He said.

“I am Australian but that’s an American book so I read it with an American accent.” I replied as I headed off to lunch.