Chapter 43

Showing You Happiness

 

 

 

 

Even’s part

 

 

Unaware of the time, days have passed. Soon, it was the time for the masquerade ball to commence.

 

 

 

Everyone who was anyone was busy preparing themselves for this party of the century. Mr. Wu had made sure that everything was in order, making sure that tonight was one to remember.

 

 

“Tell my father I am not leaving the house.”

“But young miss, he’s requesting your attendance.”

“Deny it. He won’t blame you, he will only blame me so tell him. His one and only daughter is no longer listening to him. If he wishes to that I will go to this event, he can think twice before asking me!”

“Miss...”

“DO IT!”

One of the maids bowed, heading to the door before gasping, staring at the person standing beside the door. It was one of her father’s assistant.

“What do you want?”

 Even snapped as his father’s assistant smiled. “May I ask you ladies to leave us alone?” The maids nodded, only leaving her father’s attendant and her inside.

“Why don’t you want to attend this event? Your one of the host, are you not?”

“Yes... But my father is being unreasonable. If he wants me marry someone I don’t love anymore, then so be it. I can play his game as well!”

Miss. Even, I have known you for so long, do you think I don’t know what you’re thinking? Of course I do. I understand that you don’t want to go through this but Mr. Wu wanted to present this to you before the event. I won’t know if you decide to attend or not, but I hope by presenting this to you, it will help lead you to the path you decide.”

When he left the room, Ying Jie stared at neatly wrapped box on her lap. Contemplating on whether or not to open it or not. Curiosity strikes as she slowly untied the bow and opened, taking out a familiar ring. She walked up over to her family photo, comparing it to her mother’s ring.

“Mom...”

She unravelled the letter that was in the box.

“Your mother would love you to have it. When she was still alive, she would always bother me, saying that when you find the right one, her wedding ring will be with you. Like she will always be with you, I guess it’s finally time for you to have this. Your mother and I are extremely happy to give this to you, as a father, I will always hate every guy that you meet. I know that the time will come when my little princess will grow up and learn to love so it will be hard to let you go. My little girl is growing up, although I wish she have to grow up but it appears that the time has finally arrived. Come to the ball and stand by my side. When its time, the ultimate decision will be yours.“

With much thought, she slipped her mother’s ring into one of her fingers and called the maids back in. Allowing them to proceed with what they were originally planned to do.

While they did, Mr. Wu’s assistant called him, notifying what was going on. “At first, she gave us quite a trouble but she changed her mind, she’s coming.”

“Splendid.”

“But sir, mind I ask how did you know it was going to work?”

“I didn’t. Ying Jie... believe it or not is like my wife. She was kind, gentle, beautiful and naive lady. I believe Ying Jie resembles her mother more and as for me? She has my work ethic. Everything is just about ready here, so her here. From there, my other attendants can handle the rest.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Oh and Jason, if you like, you can take a break after you drop my daughter off. I think I kept you away from your family for far too long son, spoil yourself for once and come back like new.”

“Yes Sir.”

 

 

 

Moments later, Mr. Wu’s assistant knew how long girls love to get ready but he have never waited for so long, other than his wife, he forgot. “Are you ready miss?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” He chucked, escorting her into the car before driving to the venue. 

 

 

{ xx }

 

 

 

“What.did.my.father.do?”

She whispered as she walked into the reception hall, it was like a ball in fairytales but the guests hid their face with a beautiful mask, a real princess moment.

“My father must’ve overworked himself...”

She whispered before her father’s assistant walked out. Leaving her confused for a moment.

“WAIT! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?”

“Ying Jie, I wish you the best for luck and my congratulations.”

“WAIT—“

He had already waved goodbye and hopped into the car.

 

 

 

*Ahem*

 

 

 

Ying Jie turned around to find someone in front of her wearing a mask and holding onto a letter.

“What’s this?”

Without any words, he handed her mask and the letter over to her. Still clueless, she read the letter first before putting the mask on.

 

 

 

 

Tonight’s objective: Even Wu Ying Jie’s challenge.

 

 Among one of the guest is your key to a lifetime of happiness.

Find your happiness and your wish will be granted.

 

 

 

 

 

“WAIT? What does this mean?”

The man in front of her kissed her hand, holding it for a moment before she gasped.

“YA LUN?”

He chuckled, putting her hand down. She reached out to hold onto him but he was fast enough to dodge it.

“Ya Lun....!”

“I’m sorry, but you have to find me.”

“Find? WHAT? WHY ARE YOU RUNN—“

She gasped as he masked himself in with the guests in the ballroom. Ying Jie knew his voice, she knew he was here but where?

Her eyes widen at the dozens of guests dressed with their masquerade masks, pretty gowns and handsome tuxedos, she sighed, wondering where she was going to find him.