Dinner and A Drink

A Sick Game Called 'Love'

 

AN: Muahahahaha *insert gif of author destroying all of your otps*...it's okay, I feel your pain. I crushed my otp, and then in the future I will crush my other otps and it just...I understand okay...

 

 

Dinner and A Drink

 

 

Everyone gathered around the table taking their seats, Mr. Seo and Mr. Kim were at the two heads of the table. Minjee sat next to her husband, Taeyeon sat next to her mom, and Sunny was on the other side of Taeyeon. Seohyun sat across from Sunny and next to her dad, Hyoyeon sat next to Seohyun, and Changhyun sat next to Hyoyeon and Mr. Kim.

 

Everyone sat still trying to decide who could get food first, everyone awkwardly looked at each other. Hyoyeon was looking at Seohyun and motioning her with her eyes to grab the bowl, but Seohyun shook her head with wide eyes.

 

Mr. Kim and Mr. Seo were having an eye argument over being the better guest versus the better host. Mrs. Kim just sat there, she wasn’t that hungry. Taeyeon was starting to fall asleep from the exhaustion of cooking enough food for all 8 people. Sunny was rubbing Taeyeon’s back soothingly trying to keep the other girl awake.

 

Changhyun was wondering why no one was eating yet. He was too little to grab the bowl himself so he tugged on Hyoyeon’s sleeve. The Kim turned to face the young boy who had a pout on his face.

 

“Hyo, I can’t reach the bowl can you get me food please?” Changhyun asked, still pouting. Everyone in the room looked at the young boy.

 

Hyoyeon grabbed the bowl and it was decided that the hungry five year old would eat first. She began to pile the food onto his plate and he continued to ask for more. When the plate was almost full Hyoyeon stopped and grabbed the boy a piece of garlic bread.

 

Hyoyeon was about to put food on her plate, but the bowl was taken from her hands by Seohyun who gave her a stern look. She was about to speak in protest, but Seohyun placed food on her plate for her.

 

“No heavy lifting. Doctor’s orders.” Seohyun gave Hyoyeon a worried glare.

 

Hyoyeon gave her a cheeky grin. “Are you my nurse now?”  Seohyun turned beet red and started stuttering unintelligible syllables. Taeyeon kicked Hyoyeon in the shin under the table. “Ow! What was that for?”

 

“Food first, then you can relentlessly flirt all you want.” Taeyeon said in a higher pitched voice than usual. Sunny had shifted tactics in getting the short girl to ‘wake up’, her hand was blazing a burning trail on Taeyeon’s thigh; slowly getting higher and higher.

 

Hyoyeon slumped back in her seat as the food was passed around. Changhyun was the only one who hadn’t waited for everyone to have food in order to eat. He was shoveling mouthfuls of spaghetti into his mouth. Taeyeon felt pride swell in her chest at seeing someone being such an avid fan of her cooking.

 

Everyone had their food on their plate and started to dig in. Light conversation was being made between The two men in the household. “So, Mr. Seo what do you do for a living?”

 

There was a clanking of metal as Seohyun dropped her fork onto her plate with wide eyes. Hyoyeon placed a hand on the taller girl’s thigh and gave it a light, comforting squeeze.

 

Mr. Seo knew why his daughter had reacted that way. “Well, I’m currently unemployed, but one day I’d love to open a restaurant.”

 

Mr. Kim had the familiar glint in his eyes, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon both picked up on it. “Dad, don’t.” They spoke in unison.

 

Daeho shook his head at his children. “I’m getting old. Let me make my own financial decisions. Mr. Seo, what do you say about having me and my oldest daughter for dinner sometime to discuss a possible partnership?”

 

Mr. Seo was beaming, Hyoyeon now understood where Changhyun got his adorable smile. “I would love to!”

 

“Then it’s decided, are you free tomorrow night for dinner?” Mr. Kim, always the hasty businessman.

 

Hyoyeon patted Seohyun on the thigh. The taller girl looked at her, confused and slightly nervous, Hyoyeon motioned with her eyes to look down. Hyoyeon made hand motions that would have made other people get a headache trying to figure it out. It came easily to Seohyun though, ‘you and me, in the kitchen, in a minute’.

 

Seohyun gulped and turned beet red from the implications.

 

“Excuse me, my ribs are starting to hurt. I’m going to go get some ice.” Hyoyeon quickly got up and walked into the other room.

 

Seohyun stood up almost immediately after, beet red as the entire table stared at her. “I need to make sure she doesn’t lift anything too heavy.”

 

Seohyun practically ran through the swivelly door and was pulled in from behind into a hug. “I’m sorry if my dad upset you.”

 

The warm hands around her waist made her feel safe and she leant back into the hug. “I can convince him to cancel the dinner with your dad tomorrow if you want.”

 

Seohyun turned around in the embrace to face Hyoyeon, their faces were much closer together than Seohyun initially anticipated. It was hard to speak with the shorter girl’s lips so close to her own.

 

“Don’t, I haven’t seen him this happy since my mom died. I’ve never met anyone who Changy actually likes. How do you do it?” Seohyun whispered the last part. Their lips were almost touching now.

 

As Hyoyeon was about to finish leaning in, the door of the garage slammed open. “Hyo…how many timez haf I tol ju. Not in da kitchen.” JeA slurred, intoxicated beyond belief.

 

Reluctantly, Hyoyeon let go of Seohyun to catch her sister from falling over. As Seohyun was about to protest about heavy lifting, Yuri came in through the door. She was also slightly intoxicated but she was still aware of what was happening and helped Hyoyeon hold JeA up.

 

“What in the actual happened?” Hyoyeon asked Yuri.

 

“It’s a long story…”

 

**

 

Instead of going home for her family dinner, JeA had gone to a bar across the street from Dr. Park’s office. Not the smartest of decisions, but it still fulfilled its purpose. It was a pretty slow night at the bar so her service was quick.

 

“What can I get for you this beautiful evening?” The bartender said with a smile.

 

JeA rolled her eyes at the term ‘beautiful’ this evening was anything but beautiful. “Give me a bottle of your strongest stuff and let me be.”

 

The bartender chuckled and grabbed the step ladder to reach the top shelf. He pulled down a dusty bottle. He grabbed a glass and opened the bottle, placing the two in front of her. “I’m only giving this to you because you look like you need it and can afford it.”

 

JeA took out her wallet. “How much do I owe you?”

 

“Two-fifty.” JeA grabbed her debit card and handed it to him. He looked at it and read the name over and over. “Kim…JeA…you’re the Kim JeA! My daughter watched all of your college games. Everyone thought you were going to go pro, what happened?”

 

JeA poured herself a glass of the strong liquor and swallowed the glass whole. “I don’t really want to talk about it.”

 

He raised his hands in surrender, “I’m sorry, you can have the bottle. It’s on the house.”

 

JeA shook her head. “Just let me pay for it, I don’t want your charity. Use the money to buy your daughter that new Im bat. I’ve heard they’re really good.”

 

The man reluctantly took the card to the register, swiping it for the amount. When he came back a tall girl walked into the bar and sat down next to JeA.

 

“What can I get you?” He asked her with a smile, the same way he addressed JeA.

 

Yuri sighed. “I’ll have what she’s having.”

 

The man looked at the two, do they know each other? He walked up the step ladder and grabbed his last bottle of what he had given JeA.

 

“Put it on my card, my treat.” JeA said taking another swig of her glass, emptying the contents.

 

“The Jung’s told me what happened. Who was the lucky girl?” JeA was trying to drown her own pain by hearing others.

 

Yuri opened her bottle and poured herself a glass, drinking the whole thing. “I told Yoona that Hyo is my best friend. She kicked me in the stomach and told me she never wanted to see me again.”

 

The two sighed at the same time. “Yoona who?”

 

Yuri took another gulp of alcohol. “Im Yoona.”

 

JeA shook her head. “.”

 

JeA had never been able to handle her alcohol well, after the first glass she had started to get really tipsy. After the second, she was intoxicated beyond belief but she still kept drinking. Yuri on the other hand was only buzzed after her second glass, she blamed being a cop.

 

“…so then doctor hotpants decided to spoon me in my sleep. When you sent that message about Hyo, I had my phone on vibrate and she totally moaned my name in her sleep! Now she wants to just deny that there’s anything between us.” JeA slurred most of the story out to Yuri who was listening intently.

 

“She sounds like a to me.” Yuri laughed, but she stopped when she saw that JeA was giving her a death glare.

 

“Don’t call her that.” JeA waited until Yuri apologized.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t know you were so whipped.” Yuri grinned at the older girl.

 

JeA raised her glass in the air at the same time as the door chimed open, another girl walked into the bar. Little did the drunkards know that the girl had walked up behind them. “I’d like to propose a toast to being whipped as hell and in love with people that don’t even like us.”

 

They clinked glasses and chugged the contents of their glass. “I never said I didn’t like you.”

 

JeA’s eyes widened and then thinned out in anger. “Why…are you here… Dr. Park?”

 

Narsha rolled her eyes at how drunk JeA was. “I had a bad day at work and so I needed a drink. Why are you here?”

 

The bartender just looked on while he prepared Narsha’s usual drink. It was like watching a live soap opera.

 

JeA tried her best to sound sarcastic but it didn’t really work with how drunk she was. “Well let’s see, I was trying to invite you to my family dinner being the good daughter that I am since you know my dad oh so well. You know I didn’t even want to fall in love with you! I don’t have the time for that .”

 

Yuri just awkwardly sat there, watching the two argue was reminding her of Yoona so she took another large gulp of alcohol, enjoying the burning sensation.

 

“I’m just gonna leave you two alone to work out this,” she waved her hand between the two, “obvious here.”

 

Yuri stood up to leave, she was tipsy now, but she was grabbed by JeA’s hand. “Yuri if you don’t mind I’m going to borrow your face real quick. Show Dr. Park here what she’s missing.”

 

JeA was an angry and drunk, she pulled Yuri down into a surprisingly sensual kiss. Surprisingly because of how drunk she was, some things just don’t fade when you are inebriated.

 

Narsha pulled Yuri off of JeA before the oldest Kim could shove her tongue down the poor girl’s throat.

 

Slap!

 

Narsha felt tears in her eyes as she felt her hand strike the soft skin of JeA’s face, her hand instinctively trying to soothe the pain but she stopped herself before her hand made contact with JeA’s skin. JeA’s head stayed where the hand had forced it to, nobody ever hit the pitcher and not get hit in return. Her fists clenched over her jeans, it was much harder to control her urges when she was intoxicated.

   

“Why couldn’t you just go along like there was nothing between us? Why did you have to make it so difficult for me not to chase you out of the door?” Tears freely fell from the doctors eyes.

 

The fists clenched tighter turning her hands a pale white. Yuri’s face paled as well, she stepped in-between the doctor and the pitcher facing Narsha. “You should leave…like now.” Yuri warned the doctor with as serious of an expression she could make.

 

Narsha was going to question why the younger girl was interrupting the conversation, but she saw the expression on the girls face. It was a mix of fear and warning, and she backed off immediately.

 

When Narsha was a safe enough distance away, Yuri turned around and was face to face with an enraged Kim JeA. “Let’s get you home before I have to arrest you for assault.”

 

Yuri took JeA’s arm over her shoulders and helped the drunk woman to her feet and out of the door. JeA took one look over her shoulder staring longingly at Narsha before being ushered out of the door and into a cab.

 

The bartender watched the whole scene play out, still holding JeA’s debit card and Narsha’s drink. He handed both to the young doctor with a reassuring smile.

 

“Take a chance; she looks like she’s worth it.”

 

In the cab, JeA turned to Yuri. “When we get home, don’t tell anyone who Dr. Park is. Just say some random name you can think of.”

 

**

 

Taeyeon had joined the group in the kitchen by the time the story was over, Dr. Park had been replaced by a fictional Ms. Lee who was one of JeA’s physical therapists. They led JeA up to her room, avoiding the dining room and their parents.

 

They laid the pitcher on her bed and she passed out almost instantaneously. Yuri went into Hyoyeon’s bathroom across the hall to brush the taste of alcohol and JeA out of . She laid down on her best friends bed and fell asleep.

 

Seohyun felt a pang of jealously that the older girl was going to spend the night in the same bed as Hyoyeon but she quickly pushed that feeling behind. The trio made their way back to the kitchen and grabbed some ice for Hyoyeon to make the story believable.

 

When the three walked back into the room all eyes were on them.

 

“Seohyun and I got into a small argument about getting ice, I was perfectly capable of getting my own bag of ice. Taeyeon came in and tried to make us compromise. Tae ended up getting the ice and here we are.”

 

Everyone listened to the story and then accepted its absurdity going back to eating their meals.