It'll Work Out

A Sick Game Called 'Love'

 

AN: So when I was writing this Steve and I got into Nine Muses because of the goddamn dance break in Dolls and so now we ship Kyungri/Sungah and I’ve watched the dance practice video like 50 times don’t judge me okay that was the gayest thing kpop has ever given me. I have the video open on a tab for when I need “inspiration” hehehehe no. Also…Do…The Cup. We’re just not gonna talk about the other groups that I got into over the weekend we won’t do that no.

 

This was supposed to be out before today but since it’s April 1st I decided I can do what I want so hah. Also since you couldn’t decide on whether or not Gyuri should become Vampire Gyuri, I used my power as president of the senate to decide for you.

I told you people, but I’m not telling you my decision as president of the senate.

 

 

 

It’ll Work Out

 

Gyuri had gotten the call in the middle of her completely and utterly platonic lunch with Sunghee in which the younger woman decided that the captain needed to be fed by her to prevent any more vampire outbursts. They had already paid for their meal so Gyuri didn’t feel bad about taking the other woman’s hand and dragging her out into a taxi.

 

The captain refrained from saying anything to Sunghee about where they were going. Her mind tracing through what could have caused Jiyeon to be hospitalized along with two others, the call had been very uninformative, she then remembered that her sister had gone to the sergeant’s apartment.

 

She took out her phone and dialed the familiar numbers, hoping that her sister was near her phone. The call went to voicemail after several rings. She called again and again, waiting for a different result. After the fourth call Hyomin answered. “What is so important that you had to call me a thousand times?”

 

“What the hell did you do to Jiyeon?” Gyuri startled everyone with her accusatory tone.

 

“I didn’t do anything to that !” The captain’s brows knit in confusion.

 

“Then what the hell did she do to you?” Gyuri paid the driver and pulled Sunghee out of the cab, never letting go of her hand.

 

“She ruined Sunny and Taeyeon’s relationship and then told me that she hates me.” Gyuri laughed so hard she almost fell over. “What’s so funny?!”

 

“Jiyeon? Hate you? I think I'm going to die." The people inside the hospital, including Sunghee, sent chilling glares towards her.

 

"Gyul, we're in a hospital. Stop laughing." Sunghee elbowed the captain in the ribs.


 

"Hospital?! What happened?!" Hyomin sounded frantic.

 

"I don't know. All I know is that Jiyeon was taken in with two other men and for the moment I have you to blame." Gyuri flashed her badge at the front desk clerk, signaling to herself and Sunghee.

 

The clerk glared at her but filled out the passes anyways. She directed the two to the ICU and told them what room Jiyeon was in.

 

“I didn’t do anything to her. Well I did kiss her and force her to tell me why she sleeps around.”

 

The pair had found the room, Gyuri almost dropped the phone from the sight. “Dear god.”

 

What happened?! Is she oka-” Gyuri ended the call, letting go of Sunghee’s hand and rushing to the side of her trusted sergeant.

 

Her left was eye completely black, there was a gauze pad stained red on the corner of her forehead opposite of her eye. Various cuts were scattered across her damaged features. The corner of her lip was split almost to her chin and there were dark purple marks near the cuts. A deep red gauze pad was attached to her shoulder. Several tubes were attached to her arms leading to various monitors and IV drips.

 

Gyuri held back her primal urge to kill whoever did this to Jiyeon. She took deep breaths to calm her rage. Inhaling brought new sensations to her, she could smell the stale stench of dried blood. What stuck out most to her though was the sweet smell that overpowered all of the others. Her head turned, trying to locate the source of the aroma.

 

She took several steps towards Sunghee, a predatory gaze in her cold blue-grey eyes. The younger woman backed up against the wall. "Gyul you're scaring me, stop."

 

The woman did not stop. She took Sunghee's head in her hands, forcefully tilting it to the side so that the soft flesh of her neck was exposed. The scent became much stronger, she could no longer smell the hospital's natural stench.

 

Her eyes flashed light grey before she became lightheaded and fell to the cold, hard floor.

 

"Ow." Gyuri winced as she rubbed the side that she landed on. She looked to see Sunghee with a terrified expression as she stared down at her. She shot to her feet and took steps towards a cringing Sunghee. “What happened? Are you okay?”

 

Sunghee slid along the wall away from a worried and confused Gyuri. “You-You’re certain you’re not a vampire?”

 

“I’m pretty sure I don’t go around biting people’s necks. You smell really nice today by the way.” Gyuri stepped even closer to the sweet scent radiating off of Sunghee.

 

“Just…keep away from me for now. You’ve been acting really weird all day and you’re starting to scare me so just…stay back.” Sunghee extended her arms to keep the shorter woman from advancing into her personal space.

 

The captain furrowed her brows and backed off, she did feel strange that day and there were those lapses in her memory, but all she cared about was Sunghee’s safety. “Fine, I need to make a phone call anyways. Stay here, I’ll be right outside.”

 

Sunghee nodded and followed Gyuri out with her eyes, exhaling a breath to expel the fright.

Outside of the room, Gyuri scrolled through the various contacts on her phone until she found who she was looking for. The phone rang twice before a voice answered: “Captain?”

 

“Officer Kwak, how do you feel about getting out of that desk?”  A grimace found its way on Gyuri’s features, she could smell the stench of the stale hospital mixed with the odor of . At the end of the hallway she could see a tall blonde leaving a room followed by a nurse not much later, both with huge grins plastered on their faces.

 

“I would like it very much Captain. It’s boring over here and my legs are going to wither soon. What do you need Captain?

 

“You know that ball that the mayor is holding?”

 

“Yeah, I wasn’t planning on going.”

 

“Jiyeon has been hospitalized indefinitely and I need a replacement to watch over the main ballroom. You in?”

 

“It’s better than sitting at home alone, waiting for two years to pass by.”

 

“Two years is nothing compared to the rest of your life.”

 

“I suppose you’re right. It’s tomorrow isn’t it?”

 

“Yes, I’ll drop by the office to brief you tomorrow. Wear your dress blues.”

 

“See you tomorrow then Captain.”

 

“See you tomorrow Zin.” Gyuri ended the call, sighing heavily before reentering the hospital room.

Sunghee was standing on the other side of Jiyeon’s bed, as far away from the door as possible.

 

“What does she smell like?” Sunghee gestured to the battered woman on the bed.

 

Gyuri’s brows knit in confusion, she stepped to the side of the bed closest to the door. Bending over, skeptically looking up at Sunghee the entire time. She could smell a mixture of three distinct scents, one smelled like a man, another like her sister’s room and the final one, and strongest of them all, blood. The captain straightened her back before answering the strange question. “She smells like blood, and my sister, and some guy.”

 

“So she smells like blood? Do you want to bite her neck?” Sunghee stared at Gyuri’s eyes the entire time, trying to see if they would change to that blue-grey color like before, they stayed dark brown.

 

Gyuri huffed in frustration and turned to the side. “I told you I’m not a-”

 

“Not a what?” An unrecognizable voice came in through the doorway, Gyuri’s nose twitched to the new intruder, she could smell the faint smell of soap on him.

 

“Nothing, doctor. What happened here?” Gyuri spoke before Sunghee could answer him.

 

“From what I can tell by the other patients’ conditions, she was severely beaten by a man named Lee Hyukjae. The other man, Ok Taecyeon, was able to subdue the attacker before he could kill her. She has a concussion but after a CT scan it looks like there was no brain damage. She should be up and out of here in a few weeks, we need to monitor her injuries in case a brain bleed occurs, there was heavy trauma to her head.“ Straight to the point, the doctor left them alone after explaining what had happened.

 

“See Gyul? She’ll be fine. Now let’s go before you have another vampire episode.” Sunghee motioned Gyuri towards the door.

 

Gyuri lifted both of the sergeant’s wrists, checking her hands for any cuts. There were none. From what the captain could tell, Jiyeon didn’t even put up a fight.

 

“Hey I heard that!” Gyuri followed after Sunghee who had started to laugh at the adorable captain. Sunghee had disappeared in the hallways, sending Gyuri into panic mode. Her breathing quickened, she could smell the delectable scent that came from Sunghee towards the right. She found the younger woman hiding around the corner. Two thoughts echoed at the same time.

 

Definitely a vampire.

I swear I am not a vampire.

 

**

 

6 Months Ago

 

The teacher cleared his throat, signaling the attention of the class filled with loud and obnoxious sixteen year olds. At least they were quiet when told to be so. The door opened and a blonde girl stepped inside. Her eyes searching for one face in particular, once she found the face her eyes never left. “Everyone we have a new student, Kwak Soojin. Miss Kwak please take one of the empty seats in the back.”

 

Her eyes only left Janey’s when walking to her chair and looking at the younger girl became an issue. Once seated, they resumed staring at the younger girl.

 

“Is she still staring at you?” Dani whispered to her best friend who was still dazed from the piercing gaze of the new student. Seeing that Janey was still in a trance, she turned her head to see that Kwak Soojin was indeed, still staring at Janey. “That is really creepy.”

 

~

 

After the final bell rang, signaling the end of school, Dani and Janey left the school grounds towards the bus stop where the older of the two would wait to go home.  

 

“So she’s in all of your classes? That girl is really weird.” Dani said to the space that Janey currently occupied.

 

The younger girl could only nod, hoping that was the appropriate response to whatever it was that Dani had just said.

 

“You like her don’t you?” Dani sighed when Janey’s head whipped in her direction.

 

“I do not!” Janey’s lower lip stuck out to pout in indignation at the older girl.

 

“I heard she has an older girlfriend, she was talking to some lady on the side of the gate at lunch.” Dani looked over to see the frown on the younger’s face. “I knew you liked her, it was probably nothing since she just stared off into space probably thinking about creeping on you.”

 

“I said I don’t like her, okay?!” Janey crossed her arms over her chest and picked up her pace, the bus stop was not too far. Once there she could be rid of her currently annoying best friend.

 

Dani didn’t have time to get out another word when she had chased after Janey to the bus stop. The younger girl continued on afterwards knowing that she wouldn’t follow her. “Be safe!”

 

The older girl had turned her head to face the street before she could see a flash of blonde hair follow after Janey.

 

Now away from her pestering friend, Janey could just relax and think about the strange new girl that was in all of her classes. She had been so lost in thought that she hadn’t seen three boys around her age step out of an alleyway right in front of her. She tried moving around them once she saw them but they trapped her inside.

 

“Hey boss! Isn’t this the loaded girl? I bet she’s carrying around a ton of cash on her. Aren’t you babe?” The one directly in front of her sneered while the other two invaded her personal space, more than before.

 

Janey tried stepping back, away from the boys, but her back met with another body, a female body. Hands were on her hips, guiding her to switch positions with the body behind hers. She recognized the blonde head of hair instantly.

 

Zin’s hand reached to her side, where her gun was normally holstered, only to find it not there. She reached inside her jacket pocket, only there wasn’t one in there. The three boys just looked at her strangely, holding back their laughter because she looked like a crazy person searching for something in the face of danger.

 

She sighed, remembering that she wasn’t allowed to take her gun to a high school since she was undercover. The boys were openly laughing at her by this point. She joined them until they calmed down, starting to get freaked out by this strange blonde girl.

 

“That was a good one I know. I thought I had my gun on me but I didn’t. Funny right there.” Her face went dead serious before her fist made contact with the boy on the right’s jaw, knocking him out upon contact.

 

Her leg slid under the boy on the left, flipping him onto his back while the boy in the middle aimed a fist at her head. She ducked under it and punched him in the stomach, followed by an uppercut to his jaw taking him down.

 

She looked to the boy on the left, struggling to get up. “Are you sure you want to do that?”

 

The boy looked up at her, and then to his groaning friends before scrambling to run off in the other direction. “That’s what I thought.”

 

“You messed with my crew, now you gotta pay.” An older looking boy stepped out of the alleyway, holding a switchblade shakily.

 

Zin smirked at the cowering boy, but she wouldn’t take the risk of the boy bluffing. “Seungmi stay back.”

 

Janey’s brows furrowed, unsure how the blonde knew her real name, but stepped back away from the scene as directed.

 

“Hey kid, you know how to use that?” Zin stepped over one of the turning bodies, towards the leader of the group. He brandished it at her to try and quell her back.

 

“Of course I do!” He said shakily, the knife moving tumultuously in his hands.

 

She smiled at him before reaching towards her back pocket. “Good, so do I.”

 

He threw the knife in the air and ran after the other boy. Zin retracted her hand from her back pocket, holding a piece of gum that she had pulled out. She stuck the piece in , putting the wrapper in her pocket because littering is bad.

 

“So Soojin, why are you following me?” Janey said as she cautiously stepped over the still whining boys to link her arm with Zin’s.

 

“I didn’t think you’d get in trouble so quickly, Seungmi.” Zin seemed unfazed by the girl’s arm looped in her own. “Think of me as your police assigned bodyguard, Detective Kwak at your service Sungmi.”

 

“It’s Janey, Detective. Only Seungmi when I’m at home with my parents.”

 

“Then Janey, feel free to call me Zin.”

 

~

 

Three months later

 

“Zinnie~ I’m hungry.” Janey whined to her sleeping girlfriend. The two had fallen for each other hard and fast, unable to fight their feelings for each other. The only people that knew of their relationship was Gyuri, Luna, Jiyeon and Dani, begrudgingly by Gyuri and Dani. Jiyeon and Luna were their biggest cheerleaders since the three had been best friends since high school.

 

“Go away.” The detective held on tightly to the girl’s waist, preventing her from moving anywhere. “Stop moving and go back to sleep.”

 

“I suppose I could always just have you for breakfast.” Janey smirked when her girlfriend shot out of bed.

 

“I’ll make you whatever you want…just don’t go there okay. We talked about this.” Zin didn’t even bother fixing her clothes that were in disarray from their overly aggressive make out session the night before.

 

“Yeah, yeah, not till I’m eighteen, yada yada. You’re making me pancakes.” Janey rolled her eyes and pushed the detective out of the door and down the hall towards the stairs.

 

Zin could see the familiar glint in Janey’s eyes, the glint that told her she was about to get pounced on. She shuffled down the stairs as quickly as possible and sprint into the kitchen, freezing in the doorway.

 

Janey, hot on her heels, crashed into her. Wrapping her hands around the detective’s waist. “What’s wrong baby?” Her eyes shifting from Zin to where the detective was staring, her hands dropping instantly. “Dad?!”

 

Detective Kwak,” He began, “I want you out of my house right now.”

 

“Yes, Sir.” Zin responded despondently, ignoring the faint touch of her girlfriend, pleading for her to stay.

 

She did not.

 

~

 

The next day

 

“I don’t care what you have to do! Just get that thing away from my daughter!” Mr. Byun shouted across the conference table at the Mayor, the Chief of Police, Captain Park, and Zin. “Don’t think I won’t press charges!”

 

Boa rested her hand on Zin’s thigh, comforting her. “Mister Byun, do you really think that’s the best course of action. Law suits are very public, you don’t want this to get out to the press now do you?”

 

He scoffed at the mayor. “Of course not. But I won’t sit by here and let that detective go unpunished!”

 

“She won’t go unpunished, sir.” Gyuri piped up from the other side of the stoic Zin.

 

“She’ll be demoted and transferred to work a desk job. She will also stay away from your daughter until she comes of age. From then on she can make her own decision about Officer Kwak.” The Chief of Police added.

 

“I can accept these terms. I’m also hiring private security since your idea of protection is sleeping with my daughter.” Mr. Byun spat at Zin.

 

The youngest in the room tensed up and was about to respond, but the hand on her thigh squeezed, calming her enough that she wouldn’t act out.

 

The man rose from his chair and shook hands with the Chief before storming out of the room. Once the door slammed closed, Zin’s head fell to Boa’s shoulder. Sobs wracked her small frame as the older woman held her tightly, rubbing soothing circles on her back. Gyuri and the Chief left the two alone.

 

“I love her mom.” Zin sniffled out.

 

“I know sweetie, I know. We’ll find a way, don’t worry.”

 

~

 

Two weeks prior to the ball

 

Find a way she did. Jiyeon read the note attached to the guest list:

 

Dear Sunyoung or whoever else reads this (hopefully Jiyeon),

 

Byun Seungmi, Janey, will be a special guest in attendance to this ball. Forbidden love is hard, Janey and Zin deserve to be happy. In order to not look too suspicious, Dani Kim will also be invited. Don’t tell any of the parties involved, I want it to be a surprise.

 

Best Mayor Ever,

Kwon Boa

 

Jiyeon smiled to herself and cleared Janey and Dani for the guest list, mentally waving around her pompoms. She had to resist calling Luna to inform the detective of her mother’s brilliant scheming.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s April Fools day, you can’t be sure if Vamp Gyul is really going to be in it or not. I could be trolling or I could not be trolling. You won’t know until next time. Muahahaha. Also Zin leads a hard life, my hero for fending off Janey for so long. I know I couldn’t do it.

 

Also there’s going to be a sequel to this fic…the second generation of all these couples. I don’t want to give too much away but the main pairings will be Kyungah, Feizy, and Adam Couple. And this s gonn be set in high school, yeah that’s right I said high school. Beard is doing a high school AU water you gonn do about it. Read it…that’s what you’ll do.