Diner Diaries

A Sick Game Called 'Love'

 

AN: So this chapter is all written specifically for SungRi and LunToria, originally it was just SungRi but then LunToria shot me in the heart with their perfect and I had to put them in here because I did. Anyways this is like a ridiculously long chapter so I forewarn you of its length. It’s like 4k words. But do NOT skip it because it has major plot movement so yeah, don’t skip! I won’t keep you from this greatness any longer so enjoy~

 

 

 

Diner Diaries

 

Gyuri sighed as she looked at the empty conference room, save for the silent Luna, in front of her. She turned back to look at the screen still showing the picture of the diner waitress.

 

She needed coffee and the closest diner was the one the young woman worked at. She grabbed the stack of reports and walked to the diner only two blocks away, Luna following after her.

 

The door chimed as she stepped into the small diner alerting the staff of their entrance. They took a booth in the back of the diner, trying not to draw attention to themselves. Gyuri scanned the area for the waitress, but she was nowhere to be seen. Did I go to the right diner?

 

She set the stack of files down next to her and placed the top one on the table. She flipped through the pages in order to count them when she heard footsteps coming towards her. She was completely oblivious of Luna’s presence as well.

 

“Can I get you something to drink?” The voice of an angel spoke to her and she looked up to see the face of her target, Kim Sunghee.

 

For a moment she just stared into the waitress’s eyes, only coming out of her trance when Sunghee cleared and looked at her expectantly.

 

“Sorry for my friend, we’ll both have coffees.” Luna answered for the woman who looked back down to the twelve page report that Sgt. Kwon had given her, most likely detailing every single breath that Im Yoona took.

 

Sunghee left and just as Gyuri suspected, there was some notes on different changes in Yoona’s breathing patterns. More useless observations. No suspicious behaving bystanders. More behavioral patterns. “I swear Luna, Yuri is such a lovesick puppy. Never fall for your assignment because I will not enjoy reading your reports.”

 

She was on the last page of the report when she heard the angel speak.

 

“Would you two like something to eat?” The blonde set her finger down on the page to mark her place and looked up at the waitress.

 

“No thank you ma’am.” Gyuri answered flatly, staring at Sunghee confusedly when the younger woman started quietly laughing.

 

“I’m not that old.” She spoke between laughs.

 

“It is a sign of respect, I meant no disrespect from it.” Gyuri said, slightly agitated from being corrected as Sunghee continued laughing. She didn’t mind the laughter though, it was a change for once in her life.

 

“Maybe later then?” Sunghee asked as she put away her notepad .

 

Gyuri took a sip of her coffee before answering. “Maybe.” She gave Sunghee a charming smile that caused the waitress’s stomach to flutter.

 

“Wait! Can I have an order of pancakes?” Luna called after the waitress who had seemingly forgotten about her. The waitress nodded and wrote down the order before going back to the counter.

 

Gyuri returned to her report, she pulled out a highlighter from her jacket pocket and highlighted the last sentence. Her father is forbidding her to see her mother in the hospital.

 

She took another sip of coffee and closed the file, pushing it to the side of the table and grabbing the next one. It was a two page report from Det. Goo. She had tried to get the detective to at least write five pages, but it never seemed to work.

 

Although it was only two pages, it was heavily detailed. Nicole Jung, heiress to Jung Corporation, was not as wealthy as the rest of the division’s assignments but she was wealthy enough to be a potential target of Eros.

 

As with Yuri’s report, there was no suspicious bystander activity. Gyuri highlighted the end of the report and rolled her eyes. She asked me out on a date, I said yes.

 

“I swear Luna, it’s a disease. I’m assigning you to a man.” Fear shot across Luna’s features from Gyuri’s comment. “Sorry, I know it’s difficult to deal with that kind of situation and I won’t make the same mistake twice.”

 

“It’s alright captain, thank you for believing me.” Luna fiddled with her hands as Gyuri nodded and went back to her reports.

 

After Hara’s was Det. Kim’s report on Kim JeA, she rolled her eyes at the diction used. Ms. Kim started seeing this shrink and the two have wayyyyy too much . They need to just bang each other and be done with it.

 

“Please don’t write your reports like this, I know you’re young but use proper diction.” Gyuri handed the report over to Luna who in turn laughed at her co-workers observations.

 

The next report was from Sgt. Park, the detailed daily events of Ok Taecyeon. It even had a title. No suspicious bystanders, but there were a lot of phone calls received from one number that stressed the young CEO out.

 

Most of the calls were answered with: Not now, I’m busy. Fine, meet at the usual place.

 

She could feel eyes on her from across the diner. She looked up to see Sunghee and another waitress both looking at her. Sunghee blushed and looked away while the other one gave her a cold glare.

 

“Don’t look now Luna, but we’re being watched.” The slight grin on Gyuri’s face eased the tension that her words instilled in her.

 

The glare intensified when she noticed that Gyuri was more interested in Sunghee than herself. Victoria sighed. “You’re getting married in a month to the man you supposedly love. You don’t even know her name or what she does. She could be a star and you probably won’t see her again after today. Stop looking at her. Seriously, look at her friend, she could easily pass as a star since her jaw opens way too wide to be natural. And she has those eyes that like, ooze , why is she staring at me?”

 

Sunghee sighed, ignoring her friend’s distress from the supposed star, and continued to look at Gyuri when she thought the cop couldn’t see her doing so. “She’s like a goddess, I can’t help but look at her.” Gyuri rolled her eyes out of habit, she’d heard the compliment many times but it seemed different coming from the waitress. She silently cursed herself for knowing how to read lips.

 

“Close your mouth and stop gaping rookie.” Gyuri’s words had no effect on the young detective. When she had looked over to see who the captain was referring to, her eyes landed on the most beautiful woman she had ever seen in her entire 19 years of living.

 

“You know she just called you a star.” Gyuri said to the dazed detective.

 

“I’d be a star as long as she’s my co-star.” Luna said dreamily which earned her an eye roll from the captain.

 

“As long as it’s just looking. No touching young lady.” Victoria mockingly scolded her friend. Gyuri huffed in frustration, she hated being looked at like a piece of meat. She took another sip of coffee only to find that none was there.

 

Sunghee grabbed the coffee pot before Victoria could and sauntered over to Gyuri to refill the cup.

 

“Thank you ma’am,” Gyuri said politely before adding, “I can read lips you know, your fiancé is a lucky man, and we’re not stars.”

 

Sunghee lost her balance and fell to the floor, only the floor was a lot softer than she thought. Gyuri was seated close enough to the edge of the booth to react on reflex. She slid onto one knee while the other was used to help her hold the waitress up. The two froze as they looked in each other’s eyes, completely forgetting the world around them until they started to hear applause. Some kid on a computer even went as far to say ‘Now kiss’ making hand gestures pushing the two together. Luna was still staring longingly at Victoria.

 

Gyuri rolled her eyes, breaking the trance, and stood up pulling the waitress with her. The two were pulled in a tight embrace and Sunghee blushed from the feeling of being pressed against the cop’s body. Before Sunghee could truly melt into the embrace, Gyuri let go of her and sat back down as if nothing happened.

 

The door chimed and alerted the diner of the entrance of two young men in suits. They waited to be seated, Gyuri recognized the older of the two as Ok Taecyeon and latched onto Sunghee’s wrist as the woman was about to walk away.

 

“Seat those two in the booth in front of us.” Gyuri said through her teeth and flashed her badge at Sunghee, the younger gulped and nodded as she walked towards the two.

 

 Gyuri tilted her head down so that Taecyeon wouldn’t recognize her, it seemed to work since he wasn’t even fazed as he sat down and ordered a coffee and a house salad. The other man ordered a glass of water and a turkey sandwich. Sunghee looked back at Gyuri as she left to go put in the order and get the beverages.

 

“Why did you call me here Yonghwa?” Taecyeon asked when Sunghee was out of ear shot. Gyuri had out a note pad and began to take notes. Ok Taecyeon and Yonghwa who?

 

Yonghwa leaned forward in the booth. “The boss is moving in on the girl faster than I thought. We need to move the plan up. You’re gonna have to get the parents to agree to let you marry their oldest a lot faster than we planned. Like, now.”

 

Taecyeon pinched the bridge of his nose. “Are you absolutely sure that the girl will marry you in order to protect her boss?”

 

“That girl wouldn’t risk a stable job for love, her family is her priority.” Yonghwa leaned back and smirked in triumph at his future conquest.

 

Before Taecyeon could ask the most important question, Sunghee came back with the cup of coffee and glass of water. “Your food should be done in a few minutes.”

 

The two men nodded and waited for the waitress to leave before speaking. “Are you certain that no one will try and stop my wedding to the oldest?”

 

Yonghwa nodded, at least Gyuri think he nodded, he was blocked by Taecyeon. Then Sunghee returned with their food and the rest of their time in the diner was silent.

 

Gyuri looked at her notes and circled Yonghwa’s name numerous times before taking another sip of coffee when there was none. She didn’t know she was drinking it that much, but Sunghee was there in a heartbeat to refill it for her. “Thank you.” Luna had barely touched her coffee since she was too busy day dreaming about the other waitress.

 

Sunghee returned back to her post next to Victoria, waiting for closing time. “They aren’t stars, they’re cops Vic.”

 

“There is no way in hell that little girl is a cop and you broke the no touching rule,” Victoria paused to clamp her hands together and look up at the ceiling in a mock swooning pose, “what did it feel like being in her strong arms?”

 

The two men were waving towards Sunghee for their check. “Safe.” Was her answer before she walked to the men with the check in her hand. The bell ringed behind Victoria, the pancakes were done after a suspiciously long time. Victoria looked over to Sunghee, seeing that she was busy. Victoria sighed to herself as she grabbed the plate and walked rigidly over to the cops.

 

Gyuri noticed the waitress walking up to them and reached across the table to push up Luna’s jaw. Luna looked at her captain quizzically, the latter motioned to the right with her head. Luna’s gaze then followed and stopped on the woman holding her pancakes, she had completely forgotten that she ordered them.

 

Victoria plastered on a fake smile as she set down the pancakes for the detective who looked up at her like a kid in a candy store, grinning ear to ear. “Can I get you two anything else?”

 

“Your number.” Luna said dreamily, she was then kicked in the shin by Gyuri who muttered ‘Idiot’.

 

Victoria was surprised by her reaction, instead of showing disgust she blushed a deep red. Body don’t betray me now! You’re straight and she is way too young for you.

 

“Sorry ma’am, ignore my idiotic friend here. She needs to go through ual harassment training again.” Gyuri said, glaring at the young detective and earning a displeased whine from her.

 

“It’s fine,” Victoria squeaked out which made her blush harder and for Luna’s grin to widen.

 

“Don’t encourage her, walk away quickly before it’s too late.” Gyuri was somewhat enjoying herself, she hasn’t felt that way about anything since, she can’t even remember.

 

Victoria left quickly, cursing herself for deciding to wear short shorts that day. She could feel Luna’s gaze roaming over her body. She could imagine that grin growing wider and more erted, she hated that she didn’t mind. You’re straight god damnit!

 

The two men paid in cash and left into the night. Gyuri could finally go back to her report reading. Next was Det. Jung, her reports were generally about Taeyeon’s and Hyomin’s distaste for each other and the boring life of being the assistant of a customer service director.

 

Luna finished her food and looked at her watch nearly jumping out of her seat. “Hey boss I gotta go, my mom will kill me if I’m not home soon.”

 

Gyuri continued reading the file. “You sound like a teenager not an adult, what can be so scary about your mom.”

 

“Clearly you haven’t met Kwon BoA, but I still gotta go. See you in the morning.” Luna stood up and wobbled slightly, shrugging it off as having been sitting for too long. She went to exit the diner and bumped into Victoria who did not look pleased to see her there.

 

The two both stepped outside and began walking in the same direction. “Are you walking home? Alone? At night?” Luna asked with concern. Victoria nodded in response, not trusting her vocal cords. “I, Detective Park Luna, will you to your residence.”

 

Victoria blushed and looked away from the younger girl. She continued to walk in the direction of her house as Luna followed. “So you really are a cop.” She said to herself while looking back at the young detective and blushed and looked forward again when their eyes met.

 

**

 

Nothing of note was in Det. Jung’s file and she reached for the last file, but stopped when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She pulled it out and answered it, knowing who it was without looking at the caller Id.

 

 “Sorry Hyomin, you’ll have to fend for yourself for dinner, I’ll be home when I can get home. I’m still working.”

 

“I already ate, I was worried about you, come home soon. I love you!”

 

“I love you too.” Gyuri hung up the phone and looked up to see Sunghee looking over her with a slightly jealous expression.

 

“Officer, is there anything else you’d like? We’ll be closing soon.” Sunghee asked, trying to hide the jealousy in her voice but failing.

 

Gyuri noticed that she and Sunghee were the only ones left in the diner, Victoria’s shift had ended already. “No thank you ma’am.”

 

“You can call me Sunghee, and are you sure? You’ve been here for several hours.” Sunghee asked with a hint of concern.

 

“I’m sure, thank you ma’am. I’ll be done soon.” Gyuri answered flatly, not missing the flash of sadness across Sunghee’s face.  

 

The cop returned to the last file, highlighter ready. The last report was Lt. Jung’s, the longest of them all at seventeen pages. She read through it as quickly as possible, highlighting several key events.

 

Two new employees: Seo JooHyun and Tiffany Hwang.

Seo knows about Hyoyeon’s GED and has been advised to keep quiet.

At an outing with Det. Kwon, Hyoyeon was injured.

Surgery was performed the same day, she had injured her ribs prior to this accident.

The new girl Seo has caused her boss to fall head over heels for her.

 

Gyuri closed the file with a sigh, finding her wallet to pull out some cash for the cups of coffee and Luna’s pancakes but put it back in her pocket as she looked around for the waitress. She walked over to Sunghee who had started to fall asleep in a booth by the register. She gently placed her hand on the younger woman’s shoulder and gently shook her awake.

 

“Wake up Sunghee, it’s time for you to go home.” Gyuri coaxed the waitress awake, the name had slipped through her armor and she was thankful that the woman was too tired to register it.

 

Sunghee slowly rose from the seat and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. “Thank you for waking me officer.” It took her a few moments before she registered that the cop’s hand was still on her shoulder. She thanked the low lighting for hiding her blush as she scooted closer to the blonde in order to get out of the booth.

 

Gyuri removed her hand from the shoulder it was unconsciously resting on and went back to her table to grab the stack of files and coffee cup. She returned to Sunghee and handed the cup to the waitress over the counter, their fingers brushing as the cup was exchanged between the two. Sunghee blushed and went to the back to see if the bus boy was still there.

 

“Minho, can I trust you to lock up tonight?” Sunghee asked the young boy while handing him the cup. He nodded in response and began washing the cup.

 

She grabbed her bag and walked back to the front of the diner, pausing when she saw that Gyuri was still there. “I haven’t paid for the coffees or Luna’s pancakes.”

 

Sunghee nodded and walked to the register. “Two coffees and one order of pancakes, your total is eight twenty-five.”

 

Gyuri handed the waitress a twenty dollar bill. “Don’t bother with the change.”

 

Sunghee didn’t protest, knowing it was a futile attempt considering the previous conversation between the two. “Have a nice night officer.”

 

“Captain. Captain Park Gyuri ma’am.” Gyuri corrected.

 

Sunghee smiled, “Well then, captain, have a nice night.”

 

The two stayed there, neither moving to leave until Sunghee began walking around the counter to join Gyuri.

 

“Are you walking home?” Gyuri asked suddenly, with a hint of worry in her voice. Sunghee nodded. “These streets aren’t safe at this time of night, let me walk you home.”

 

Sunghee opened to protest, but like before realized there was no point in resisting. She nodded and the two silently left the diner together.

 

Their walk was quiet, Sunghee only lived a few blocks away so the walk was short as well. When they were nearing the entrance to Sunghee’s apartment building, she began to fiddle in her bag for her keys.

 

She turned to face Gyuri and leaned in to place a kiss on the cop’s cheek. “Thank you for keeping me safe captain.”

 

Sunghee blushed enough for the both of them since Gyuri seemed unfazed by the whole thing. “It was no problem ma’am.”

 

**

 

During the walk to Victoria’s house, Luna’s vision was beginning to blur and her movements were causing her to look like a drunkard. Victoria hadn’t noticed since she was walking in front of the detective and avoiding looking back at her.

 

“Uh…beautiful waitress?” Luna slurred out which caused the older to blush and turn to look at the younger. Concern immediately washed over her features as she saw the stumbling officer. “What did you put in my pancakes?”

 

Luna tripped on air and fell into the waitress’s arms, her head nuzzling into the woman’s chest. “Who works at the diner?”

 

Victoria was fuming, her precious merchandise was being clung onto like sweat on skin. She repositioned Luna to wrap the younger’s arm around her shoulders while Victoria kept a steadying grip on the detective’s slim, y waist. Luna reiterated her question and Victoria continued walking towards her house that she could see nearby, pretending that she wasn’t enjoying the feel of the young detectives body so close to hers. “Well there’s Minho, myself, Sunghee, Mr. Seo but he does mornings and the lunch rush, and then Amber.”  

 

Luna’s ears perked at the last name as she continued to hobble. “What’s Amber’s last name?”

 

“Liu, why?” Luna groaned from the answer. Victoria gently leaned Luna against the wall next to the locked door of her apartment building. She grabbed her keys out of her back pocket and unlocked the door before taking Luna in her arms again and guiding the girl inside to the elevators.

 

“That girl, doesn’t know the definition of a one night stand,” Luna leaned her head on Victoria’s shoulder, “she probably drugged me to get me all to herself, thank you for letting me take you home.”

 

Inside the elevator, Victoria’s mind was racing. Would I become a one-night stand? Why am I even thinking about this, I’m straight as a ruler! They make bendy rulers now. Shut up!

 

“How are you able to talk normally?” Victoria asked as the two walked towards her apartment door.

 

“This isn’t the first time. I was in narcotics before transferring.” Luna said while leaning against the wall next to the door as Victoria opened the door and stepped inside, leaving the door open. “Goodnight beautiful waitress.”

 

Victoria then reappeared out of the door when Luna started to stumble back to the elevator. Victoria pulled on the younger’s arm, a little too hard since the detective knocked over the waitress unable to keep her balance.

 

After the initial shock of falling flat on her back, Victoria noticed that Luna’s lips had landed on her own and that she was doing nothing to stop their assault. The feeling of having the younger girl’s lips caress her own was something she had never experienced before with any of her past boyfriends. Something about Luna’s lips was intoxicating, she had to force herself to stop.

 

She moved her head to the side to avoid contact with the younger girl’s lips, except that wasn’t exactly what happened. The younger girl took it as a sign to escalate their intimacy, she trailed kisses along the older’s neck to her collarbone that she gave a loving nip, on the flesh to soothe the pain. Luna ran her hands along Victoria’s sides, hitching up the woman’s shirt to caress the bare skin.

 

It took all of Victoria’s willpower to stifle her moan and to push the younger girl off with a ‘stop’. She stood up and offered her hand to the still dazed detective. The younger took the hand and was pulled up into the warm embrace of the waitress. Luna tried to leave the embrace to go home, but Victoria pulled the girl into her apartment. Closing the door behind them.

 

“I have to go home, my mom is waiting for me.” Luna broke the silence between the two when she was laid down on the couch in the living room of the apartment.

 

“Call her and tell her you were drugged and that you’re staying at a friend’s house so that you don’t do anything stupid.” Victoria came up with a solution while getting a spare blanket and pillow for Luna.

 

Luna sent a text message to her mom, she didn’t really want her mom to hear her voice and worry over her any more than she already is going to. A reply was sent instantly.

 

Is the friend the one who drugged you?

 

‘No mom’

 

Call me the second you wake up Sunyoung.

 

‘Yes mom’

 

Luna placed her phone on the coffee table and laid down on the couch, too tired to wait for Victoria to come back. The detective was half asleep when the waitress came back and placed a pillow under her head and draped a blanket over her body.

 

“I’m sorry for taking advantage of you, I won’t remember it in the morning but I want you to know that I wouldn’t mind it happening again when I can remember.” And with that, Victoria was blushing a deep red and Luna was fast asleep.

 

You’re straight you idiot! I can like her and still be straight! No you can’t, you’re gay just like your big brother, you should tell your parents about your steamy make out session with a girl. I’m sure they’d be thrilled to hear about it, especially daddy.

 

Victoria entered her bedroom and fell face first into her pillow, crying herself to sleep. “I’m straight, I’m straight, I’m straight,” was repeated until she finally passed out from exhaustion.