Get Used To It

The Heartbreaker's Game 2: What is Love?

No One’s POV

Everyone was anxious, all lost in their own thoughts.

Changjo was pacing back and forth the door, wondering when he was going to get a chance to talk to his cousin. He had so much to say to her, all the things he wished he’d told her, the times when he wanted to let her know how much he really cared about her. Will he ever get a chance to say it before it’s too late?

Youngjae couldn’t believe that he’d only gotten her forgiveness and now there was a chance that she might not be able to survive. He didn’t get to spend much time with her and now his heart was gripped with fear. He never got a chance to really tell her how much he cared about her, how much he loved her like a little sister. He really hoped that she would survive so that he could tell her.

Himchan and Yongguk both now wished that they had stopped bullying her and had tried to get her to forgive them a long time ago. If they had approached her for her forgiveness earlier, they would have had a chance to make up for all those times they had treated her badly, for being the reason that she suffered high school so much.

Zelo couldn’t stop the tears that kept flowing from his eyes and Jongup comforting him was making it worse. He wished that his favorite noona would be okay and that she would come out of the door, hug him and tell him that she’s going to live. If she’s gone, who is going to tell him that he can do it, encouraging him? Who was going to be there to baby him and to take care of him? He didn’t want anyone else to care for him the way Eun Hae always had and was doing before she got very sick.

Jongup was starting to regret not approaching her sooner about B.A.P feeling sorry for what they had done to her and for not saying anything sooner. He regretted not backing her up when his hyungs were making her life hellish and miserable. It made him sick to the stomach for being such a coward. Although the two of them always fight, he always did have a soft spot for her.

Daeseul was scared at the possibility of her best friend dying. They did everything together; she was the only one who knew everything about her. Daeseul cursed herself for not always being there for her whenever she needed help because she was too busy either chasing after L.Joe or spend time with Kai. She scolded herself for not taking care of her best friend like how she had before she met Kai.

Kai wasn’t so close to Eun Hae like she was with everyone else, but within those three months he had known her, he really did love her like a little sister. It was hard to resist liking someone like her. And he couldn’t believe that someone so young like Eun Hae, whose life just barely even began, was going to die.

“What’s going on? How’s my daughter?”

Everyone looked up to see Oh Min Ah, Eun Hae’s mother, standing in front of them, with Changjo’s mom, Yu Jun, next to her. They were looking back and forth at everyone’s anxious faces.

“We don’t know,” Changjo confessed and they looked upset, distressed. “But Daehyun and her boyfriend are inside with her right now.”

The door suddenly opened and Lu Han and Kris stepped out, looking anxious and worried. Kris froze when he saw Min Ah, and when she recognized him, she gasped and took a couple of steps back.

“Wh – What are you doing here?” she blurted out.

“Min Ah . . .” Kris’ voice was soft, knowing that he was still so in love with her, still having a soft spot for the only woman he ever loved. “You know why I came . . . for Eun Hae.”

Min Ah couldn’t believe the man she had fallen in love with was here, looking exactly like how he had twenty years ago. Of course she knew that he was alien but the thought of seeing him again shocked her. “Y – Your friend, Suho —” she started to say.

“He’s no friend of mine,” Kris snapped.

“— told me everything,” she went on, not once taking her eyes off him. She watched as his eyes went wide and his mouth dropped slightly to form a small ‘o’. “He told me it was him that day . . .”

“Why would he do that?” Kris gaped.

“He must have felt guilty,” Lu Han murmured.

“He has no heart,” Kris snapped. He looked at her. She may have aged, but she still looked the same. Of course, this wasn’t the first time he’d seen her.

“When did you find out?” Min Ah wanted to know.

“When I came down from Exo . . . I saw Eun Hae, since she was Lu Han’s girlfriend,” Kris explained, darting a look over at Lu Han.

“What the hell is going on?” Yongguk wanted to know.

Min Ah looked at them. “Can we have our own private talk somewhere, please?’ she asked. “We have a lot of things to talk about.”

Kris nodded. He knew he had to tell her that it was him who saved her when she was trapped. Of course she wouldn’t know it was him, since he had been invisible when he rescued her. So he walked over to the corner of a room and Min Ah followed him.

“What’s going on?” Kai asked Lu Han and all eyes turned to him.

He looked at B.A.P and Changjo before he looked back to Kai and Daeseul. Sighing, he told them what was going on. “Long story short, we’re aliens, Kris and Min Ah are the parents of Eun Hae — we have the birth certificate to prove it — and she’s dying, so right now my friend who has the power to heal is trying to heal her.”

Their mouths dropped with shock.

“You guys are aliens?!” the other members of B.A.P cried out with astonishment. They thought aliens didn’t exist! Or they were like green little Martians.

“Aunty Min Ah and Kris are the parents of my cousin?!” Changjo chimed in. He glanced over at them. even his mother seemed surprised to hear such news that she shook her head slightly at her sister.

“Kris is Eun Hae’s father?!” Daeseul and Kai wondered incredulously, believing what they just heard, but at the same time, were shocked.

Lu Han nodded. He checked the time. One minute to midnight. “I can’t explain much,” he told them.

“How is that possible?” Yongguk wanted to know, glancing over at Kris. “He’s so . . . young! And she’s already about forty years old.”

“Believe it or not, he’s actually a hundred and forty-seven,” Lu Han replied calmly. He just shrugged. “That’s what being an alien does to you; it slows your age. I’m also a hundred and forty-seven years old; twenty-two in human age.”

“You look like you’re nineteen,” Jongup frowned.

“Baby face,” Kai snickered.

Lu Han chose to ignore that remark. He was anxious to know if Lay was able to save Eun Hae. He desperately hoped that he could. He couldn’t bear the thought of her dead. In fact, it made him nauseated.

“What’s going to happen to Eun Hae, huh?” Daeseul whispered and Lu Han turned to her. “Will your friend be able to save her?”

“I hope so,” he replied solemnly. “I really hope so.”

Kris and Min Ah walked back to them. No one knew what to say to them. But Changjo was staring at the two of them, as if he was trying to picture them ever being together once in this life time. He shook his head slightly.

He has a demi-alien as a cousin.

Kris was wishing that he had found out about Eun Hae earlier, so that he would have taken her in with him when she was living by herself. And he also regretted not telling her sooner the moment he found out. It was so cruel, that he just found out he had a daughter and now he was going to lose her. Even though he had told Lu Han that he didn’t want to see her suffer, but in truth, he really wanted her to live. He wanted to grow old with his daughter; he wanted to love her like how a father would because he was never ever going to get another chance to be a father again.

Everyone had their own regrets and wishes, but nobody in the room was as regretful as Lu Han. He wished he had realized his feelings for her sooner. He wished that he could have done what he planned to do. He had hurt her, and made her feel like she was played with. Lu Han had vowed to never hurt her like this and yet hurt her like this he had. He was so stupid, such a fool, and he had no idea why Eun Hae even fell for him in the first place. He loved her so much that he didn’t know what he’d do if Lay would come out now and tell them that he wasn’t able to save her.

He would probably kill himself.

Just then Lay emerged out of the door, looking distraught with his face ashen, and everyone looked up to him.

“Yixing?” Kris said hesitantly.

He had his head low and refused to look at anyone in the eyes. But it masked emotions of guilt and disappointment. He kept his eyes toward the floor and stared at it for a moment, before he looked back up.

The silence was killing them.

“I’m sorry. I failed.”

“No!” Lu Han cried out in anguish. He stood up but didn’t move. He was too in shocked by the news. No, his Eun Hae . . . she can’t be dead. It can’t be. She’s still alive. That’s it. She’s still alive.

Lay was only joking.

Daeseul started to cry and hid her face in Kai’s arms. Kai buried his face in her hair and the two of them embraced each other in tears. Changjo and Himchan, who had been leaning against the wall, slumped down to the ground and hid their faces. Yongguk punched the wall and turned his back on everyone. Zelo cried even harder and Jongup couldn’t stop the tears from flowing down. Youngjae stared at the door, not believing that she was really dead. Min Ah broke into sobs and Kris comforted her but he was crying too.

Everyone was crying.

Everyone was crying except for Lu Han who was still convinced that Lay was only joking about Eun Hae being dead. No way can she be dead.

Just then the door opened again and the nurses came out, Daehyun following behind with his face hidden behind a mask he usually kept with him, with a bed being strolled out. They saw that a blanket was covering the body.

“No,” Min Ah sobbed, rushing to the bedside.

“No, Min Ah! You must not do that!” Kris held her back with his strong grip despite her thrashing and crying, struggling to break free from him. He wanted to go see the body, but he didn’t want Min Ah to see Eun Hae’s body — it’ll only make things worse.

But Lu Han had already thrown the blanket, revealing Eun Hae’s pale face. He gasped and Lay’s words were finally sinking in his mind. Her face was grayish-white, like a ghost . . . and she wasn’t breathing at all. With trembling hands, Lu Han reached out to touch her hand and jumped back as if he was electrocuted. It was cold.

She was really dead.

“I’m sorry for your loss. We tried everything we could,” the doctor told everyone. He always hated it whenever a patient couldn’t be saved.

There was a silence.

And then Kris stood up.

“You are a doctor — you’re supposed to be saving lives!” Kris snarled, walking over toward him. He then turned to Lay. “And you were supposed to cure her entirely of cancer! And now my daughter is dead!”

“Didn’t you say you wanted her to not suffer anymore?” Lu Han whispered, staring at her body. He really can’t believe it. She’s gone.

“I would be insane if I said I wanted her dead!” he shot back angrily, glowering at him. “Of course I didn’t want my own daughter to die!”

“Kris . . . our baby . . . she’s gone . . . she’s really gone . . . my daughter . . .” Min Ah choked. She sank to the floor and cried out, her shoulders sobbing uncontrollably. Her daughter is dead. She never even said goodbye to her. She let out a piercing, heartbreaking cry.

The doctor thought that all of them have had enough for a day and nodded for the nurses to bring the body to the morgue. He could hear their cries of agony as he and the nurses walked away from the room.

Lay bowed his head in guilt. If only he’d been there a second earlier — maybe he would have been able to save her. If he was one second early . . .

“It’s not your fault,” Lu Han whispered. “You tried your best.”

He shook his head. “No, gege, I didn’t do anything at all,” he whispered back. “I was too late. I didn’t even get a chance to touch her before the life monitor beeped and the green line went straight.”

He was shoved against the wall by Lu Han and he winced.

“Lu Han hyung!” Kai cried out, aghast.

“You didn’t save my girl,” Lu Han growled at Lay, feeling really furious. “How dare you! I did not call you for nothing! I thought you weren’t strong enough to save her and yet you dare tell me you didn’t even do anything to save her! you bastard! If you had done something, maybe she would have been alive by now!”

Lay trembled but tried to regain his composure.

“Lu Han,” Kris said sharply. “Let him go! He can’t breathe!”

“He tried,” Daehyun spoke up and all eyes turned to him. “He really did. I was there, remember? It’s just that she slipped away too fast. Do not blame him.”

“I’m sorry,” Lay said.

Lu Han glowered at him before he softened and slowly dropped him. He shook his head and staggered backward, covering his face with his hands. “I’m sorry, Yixing . . . I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s okay.”

Lu Han was silent for a moment and everyone was starting to grow worried about him. But then his head shot up and he looked blindly at everyone. “Tao,” he croaked. “He can rewind time. He controls time.”

But Kris, the one person who should be all for this idea, shook his head instead. “It’s no use, Lu Han. Tao’s at his father’s house for a family gathering tonight,” he whispered despondently. “He can’t be reached.”

“No! We have to do something! She can’t just die like this! She wasn’t supposed to! She was supposed to be with me. She was supposed to live. She was —” he broke off and cried as Daeseul and Kai hugged him tightly.

“Gone . . . she’s gone,” Youngjae whispered, finally saying something. He closed his eyes, his heart thumping wildly against his chest. “She’s gone . . .” he kept repeating. “Eun Hae . . . she is really gone . . .”

Daehyun kept his dead down, trying to blink back tears. His precious little sister, whom he loved so much, was dead. She was gone.

Never were any of them ever going to see that beautiful smile on her face ever again. She was never going to comfort them when they were in trouble. They would never get another chance to hear her childlike laughter or see the twinkle in her eyes. They would never get to feel her warm embrace again, and they will never hear her voice anymore.

She was never ever going to take care of Zelo anymore, never going to ask him how his day was, and to prepare snacks for him after school.

She was never going to fight and argue with Jongup like she used to again, to purposely say that he was wrong just to stir things up and to make him agitated.

Youngjae would never get a chance to do all the things she wanted to do with him, like going to the park and teach her how to skateboard or go swimming by the lake.

Daehyun was never going to hug and love his sister any longer; she was never going to come to him whenever she was upset and vice versa.

Himchan just lost his prankster partner who shared jokes with him to keep themselves from being bored, to help him pull jokes on other people.

Yongguk didn’t have someone to help him control the chaotic members of B.A.P, to help him keep them in line, and to organize things around the dorm.

Daeseul lost the only person who put up with her craziness, the only girl friend she ever had, who she could always turn to for shopping or boy trouble.

Kai wasn’t ever going to be able to get closer to Eun Hae now that she was dead; he just lost what would have been a great companion.

Changjo just lost the only cousin he truly ever cared about, the only one who was closest to him, who he could bully without her being totally annoyed.

Kris and Min Ah lost their daughter, their precious daughter whom they both loved dearly, the only bond that actually tied the both of them together as one.

Lu Han was never ever going to be able to forgive himself for hurting Eun Hae so much and never having the chance to earn her forgiveness and now he lost the girl he ever loved.

How are they ever going to get used to this?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She's dead. D:<

Lay couldn't save her in time.