Game Over

The Heartbreaker's Game 2: What is Love?

Eun Hae’s POV

I went to make breakfast for myself before Lu Han came out of the room, ready to go, in his usual jeans and a white shirt over a blue collar T-shirt. I walked up to him and helped him button his shirt, folding his collar. I stepped back and smiled, admiring his good looks. “You look handsome.”

He put his arms around my waist and dipped me for a kiss. I giggled as he kissed me and brought me back to the standing position. “I’m off,” he said, tweaking my nose before he walked out of the front door.

I went to eat my breakfast. When I was done, I was bored. I flipped through the channels but nothing good was on. I went to see which books would be good to read but I’ve already read them all so I went online. I surfed through my Facebook and Twitter and spent some time just chatting with Daeseul about Kai, before I began chatting with Jongup and Zelo.

I looked up at the time. It was almost noon. My tummy grumbled so I went to make myself lunch. After lunch, I had nothing to do. Zelo and Jongup had to go somewhere and Daeseul was going on a date with Kai.

So I thought I should go to the rooftop of my apartment to think about things that had happened recently, like my parents, brother and Lu Han. I haven’t gone up to my special place for so long. The last time I was there was when I found out that Kai was an alien, which was almost three months ago.

Wow, that was long.

Three months had flown by in a breeze and I didn’t even realize it.

So I headed my way up, smiling, recalling what happened last night. I cannot believe that I had finally done it with Lu Han! It made me feel giddy as I remembered the way he was so gentle and so sweet with me.

I grinned like an idiot, taking two-by-two steps up to the rooftop. Lu Han is definitely the One for me. I can tell, not just because we slept together for the first time last night, but because . . . I don’t know. I can’t explain it, but I can tell by a feeling.

As I neared the door to the rooftop, I could hear voices. I frowned. I liked my peace and quiet and I wouldn’t like it if whoever was up there was going to be there for long. I won’t be able to have time to relax and think.

I opened the door slightly and heard two voices, very familiar voices. My eyes went wide when I recognized who they were.

Lu Han and Kai!

What were they doing there? I thought Lu Han was supposed to visit his friends to check up on them? What is he doing here?

I tried to listen to what he was saying.

“. . . This was just a Game, after all, remember? The Heartbreaker’s Game. I was supposed to come down to Earth from Exo, meet Eun Hae, and then get her to fall in love with me. It was an easy challenge, and I managed to do it. Even when I had to fight for her heart with you, it was still easy because she was already falling hard for me. Then we got together and I made her think that I loved her, that I was seriously in love with her.” He gave a dry laugh. “She was so gullible that she fell for it. And now I’ve slept with her. The only thing for me to do to win the Game is to break her heart.”

This . . .

               Was . . .

                               Just . . .

                                              A . . .

                                                        Game . . .?

Tears welled up my eyes as my mind registered everything he just said. This was a game . . . a game . . . a GAME . . . a GAME!

The Heartbreaker’s Game.

“The only thing for me to do to win the Game is to break her heart.”

I pressed my mouth to hand to muffle my screams before I turned around and ran down the stairs.

 

Lu Han’s POV

“What do you mean her heart is broken? I didn’t even do anything to her to break her heart just yet!” I burst out, staring incredulously at the two leaders.

Kris just held out a camera to us out and I saw Eun Hae hovering by the door to the rooftop, where she heard Kai and me talking.

I could hear myself.

“. . . This was just a Game, after all, remember? The Heartbreaker’s Game. I was supposed to come down to Earth from Exo, meet Eun Hae, and then get her to fall in love with me. It was an easy challenge, and I managed to do it. Even when I had to fight for her heart with you, it was still easy because she was already falling hard for me. Then we got together and I made her think that I loved her, that I was seriously in love with her.” He gave a dry laugh. “She was so gullible that she fell for it. And now I’ve slept with her. The only thing for me to do to win the Game is to break her heart.”

I gasped and staggered back while Kai’s face turned pale and he kept blinking. She heard us. She was listening to our conversation. That was only a snippet of the entire conversation, but that was all that she heard — enough to know that this was a game.

I watched as her whole body went rigid, her eyes going wide, and she clamped her hand over as if to stop herself from crying out loud. She stood there for a few seconds. Then she turned and ran.

The screen went blank.

If she had stayed around a bit longer, she would have heard me confessing that I’d fallen in love with her. She would have heard that I didn’t want to break her heart. But she didn’t. She ran away instead.

I looked up to Kris who shook his head sadly. I knew he felt bad for me but I couldn’t help but wonder if he felt a little bit happy because that meant he has better chances of getting with Eun Hae?

No.

I won’t let that happen. I won’t give her to him. I will fight for her. I have to talk to her. I turned and started to run off to find her.

But Kris held me back, grabbing me by my wrist. “Don’t you think you need to give her some space to cool off first?” he asked me.

I glared at his hand on my wrist before I turned to glare at him. “So that you can go and comfort her and take her away from me? I don’t think so,” I snapped back.

He reeled back. “Lu Han —”

“She wasn’t supposed to hear that!” I screamed out in frustration. “She wasn’t supposed to know that this was a Game! She isn’t supposed to hate me. . . .”

“Lu Han . . .” Kai murmured.

“I have to go.”

Kris grabbed me back. “No,” he snarled furiously. “If you go see her now, you’re only going to make things worse. Have you forgotten about her condition? If you cause any more stress to put her on the edge, do you really want to see her in the hospital again?”

I hesitated. “She needs to know how I feel.”

Later,” Kris snapped.

I glowered at him. “You’re only saying this because you want time to go comfort her and make her yours.”

He frowned. “That’s not —”

“I don’t give a about you and your stupid feelings for Eun Hae! You shouldn’t even be having those sorts of feelings for her anyway — she’s mine.”

“She’s not a property you can own,” he said quietly.

I punched my leader and he groaned, staggering backward and Suho and Kai caught him in time. I did not care if I was going to get into heaps of trouble. Right now, all I cared about was going to Eun Hae and to let her know that I love her, that I didn’t want to break her heart.

I had to see her.

 

Eun Hae’s POV

As soon as I ran out of the building, I looked at my right. If I go to my right, I’d be going to Changjo’s house. If I turn to my left, I’d be going to B.A.P.

I ran to my left.

The moment my brother opened the apartment’s door I threw my arms around him and I cried in his arms. He seemed taken aback to see me in this state but he scooped me up and closed the door behind him and walked in.

“Omo, what’s wrong?” I heard Youngjae asking and soon he was by my side.

“I don’t know,” Daehyun murmured, and carried me up to his room. He closed to door behind him, Youngjae giving us the privacy, and set me down in bed. He my hair as I clung onto him. He kissed my forehead. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

I shook my head. I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t speak. All that was running through my mind was Lu Han never loved me. It was just a game to him. All those promises of always being there for me, those ‘I love you’s’ . . . he never meant it. All those hugs, those kisses, those nights spent cuddling up together . . . he was just acting. And last night . . .?

He never cared.

I didn’t know how to explain my pain exactly. I felt lost, dead, like my heart and soul was being ripped apart so cruelly by Lu Han. I trusted him. I believed his every word, his every kiss, his every touch, only to find out that he never cared for me.

I felt so ill I couldn’t move. I couldn’t do anything but to cry.

Daehyun hugged me, comforting me, not saying anything. He always knew when I didn’t want to talk about things just yet. So he just let me cry, nuzzling my head comfortingly. He gave a little sigh as he hugged me tighter and I closed my eyes, my heart beating a little, feeling a little reassured that he was with me, like old times.

I can’t believe Lu Han did that.

“Oppa . . .” I said, clinging onto my brother.

“Who did this to you, Eun Hae-yah?” my brother wanted to know.

I shook my head. I couldn’t talk. I didn’t dare to. What if I choke on my words and cry even more? My heart . . . it hurts . . . I can’t . . . I could not breathe; it was like Lu Han not only ripped my heart out but my lungs along with it.

 My brother kissed my forehead and cradled me in his arms.

“Lu . . . Han . . .” I managed to choke out.

His grip tightened and I looked up to see that his jaw was set, anger burning in his eyes. “What did he do to you?” he asked, trying to stay calm but I knew his anger was rising with each breath he took. “He didn’t you, did he? What did he do? Tell me!”

Oh, no, he just made me feel like he actually cared.

I shook my head again. “He —” I felt a lump in my throat and knew that if I tried to continue, I would cry even harder so I clamped my mouth shut and looked down, shaking my head again at him.

Daehyun kissed my forehead, knowing I couldn't talk. “Tell me when you’re ready to tell me, then,” he whispered softly into my ears. “Okay?”

I nodded. I was so glad to have a brother like that, so glad that I forgave him. He always did know the right things to say.

Just then the door burst opened and Lu Han entered.

 

Lu Han’s POV

Daehyun was comforting her but when I entered the door, the two of them looked up. He glowered at me, penetrating me through his piercing eyes, but I ignored him. He wasn’t the reason why I was here. I looked at Eun Hae, looked into the eyes of the girl I’m in love with . . . and I cringed.

Her eyes . . . I could see that they were filled with so much hurt, so much pain, and so much tears. They were bleak and they were lost . . . and dead.

Oh Exo, what have I done?

“Eun Hae . . . hear me out,” I pleaded.

Daehyun stood up and walked over to me. “I don’t know exactly what you’ve gone to my little sister, but you can obviously see that she is in so much pain,” he said, his voice hard and crisp. “In fact, I think that it would be better if you leave her alone and give her time to calm down before you barge in so rudely like that.”

“No,” I said stubbornly. “I need to talk to her. You don’t understand —”

“I don’t need to understand what you did to know that whatever stupid thing you did upset my sister,” he snapped back furiously. His voice rose and I flinched. “I don’t need to understand what you did to know that the tears in her eyes are because of you!”

“Oppa . . . it’s okay,” Eun Hae said quietly, wiping her tears away. “He’s right; we need to talk.”

Daehyun didn’t look too happy about it but he nodded curtly before shooting a loathing look in my direction. “I’m just outside.” He walked out of the door, closing it behind him.

“I trusted you,” Eun Hae said quietly before I could say anything. “You knew how much I hate people who lie to me, you know how much pain I went through when my parents abandoned me, when B.A.P left me, when my dad betrayed me again. You knew . . . and you still went ahead and betrayed me.”

Her voice was sad, and hurt.

She looked up at me, her eyes blazing. “So was this all a Game?” she asked. “You didn’t come here for a vacation — you came to play with my heart! Is that what all Exo aliens do? Play with girls hearts? Or is that only you?”

I told her.

I told her about The Heartbreaker’s Game, I told her of how Suho and Kris hated each other, of how we were forced to play the Game, of how this year Kai and I were supposed to play with her and break her heart. I told her everything, about Exo-M, Exo-K, about all my secrets.

She closed her eyes when I mentioned his name. “Does Kai ever plan on letting Daeseul know about the Game?” she asked me.

“No,” I whispered, my voice shaking a little. “Listen, Eun Hae, yes I was going to break your heart, but I swear it wasn’t supposed to be like this. I was going to let you down gently, leave you for a few hours — long enough for the system to register that your heart is broken — before I come back to you.”

“And why would you want to come back to me?”

“Because I fell in love with you.”

She kept quiet. “When did you realize that you were in love with me, Lu Han?” she asked me in a quiet voice. “Last night when we had ?”

I hung my head low, knowing that it was pathetic and typical for guys to realize how much they loved a girl right after sleeping with them. This always happens. “I’ve always loved you . . . I never really noticed it . . . until . . .” I trailed off, not knowing what to say. “I had feelings for you, I really did, I really did care about you . . . I just didn’t realize it was because I love you.”

She scoffed. “I hate guys who do that. I hate guys who play with a girl’s feelings like that and it was only after that they realize they can’t live without the girl,” she said. “And you know what happens after they realized it?” She looked at me. “The girls always get over the guys.”

My heart froze. No . . .

“Was this why you promised me that you’ll never leave me alone until the day I tell you to go?”

I nodded once, too afraid to say anything. My heart was pounding so badly. Please . . . tell me you love me too much to forgive me. I love you, Eun Hae. Don’t . . .

She regarded me for awhile before she said, “You can go back to the apartment, pack your things and go . . . because that day you predicted has finally came.”

“N – No, please,” I begged, not being able to handle it. “Don’t ask me to go. Please . . . I can’t . . . I don’t want to leave you. Eun Hae, please.” I tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill. I didn’t want to look even more pathetic.

“I can’t be with someone who betrayed me despite knowing how much pain I felt.”

“I wasn’t going to! I told you, I wasn’t going to break your heart like that!”

“What if you hadn’t fallen in love with me? The fact that you lied to me from beginning until meant a lot.” Eun Hae turned away from me, her sharp words cutting through me like knives. “I don’t ever want to see you.”

“Eun Hae . . .”

“Congratulations,” she added flatly. “You’ve won. Game Over.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ofcourse you guys were right when you said she overheard them D:<