Flat Line

The Heartbreaker's Game 2: What is Love?

Daeseul’s POV

I was brushing my hair in my room, wondering if Eun Hae would like the present I’d gotten for her, when I heard a loud crack behind me and saw the familiar twinkle in the eyes of a familiar face. My heart skipped a beat as I spun on my stool, smiling when I saw my breathtakingly handsome, alien boyfriend in front of me.

Kai was smiling, looking ever so casual with his hands shoved deep in his jeans pocket, as far as it could let him go. His hair was wisped to his left in a cute and non-messy-but-extremely-y way. And when he bit the corner of his lips in the middle of his smirk, it made my stomach twist and turn and I had to remind myself how to breathe.

I giggled, wondering if my y boyfriend could be adorable if he did aegyo.

Kai gave me a bemused smile as he walked over to me. “What is so funny?” he wanted to know.

It couldn’t hurt to try.

“Can you make a heart, Oppa?” I asked him, giving him my best puppy-eyes look. “Please, Oppa? For me?”

“A heart?” he repeated, looking surprised at my request. He was now hovering above me, his legs pressed against mine. “Sure.” He put his wrists together, his fingers curving in, and made a heart with his hands, while smiling a little bit as well.

 

He looked so adorable, it made me squeal inside.

He leaned down, grasping my chin. He smiled at me and I smiled back. He leaned in and my eyes fluttered close as he pressed his lips against mine. I slipped my hand to his shoulder, around his neck, my right hand at the back of his neck while my left moved up to his curls. His free hand s around my waist and pulled me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist and he carried me to my bed.

He laid me down gently and got on top of me, careful not to put his full weight on me. Never once did we break the kiss and our tongues fought for dominance. I could tell that he let me win but I didn’t care. I wanted to explore deep in him anyway.

As we kissed, our heads move erratically, I arched my body up against his, wanting to feel his warmth. Kai grabbed my hips and pulled me close to him as I cupped his face, deepening the kiss. We were getting breathless and yet we didn’t want to stop. I let out a soft moan as Kai moved his lips down to my mouth, nibbling and grazing softly at my sweet spot, leaving his mark on me.

I felt his right hand moving slowly up, under my shirt, sending a tingling chill down my body at the contact with his bare hands, and gently cupped my , squeezing it softly. His hand was so warm and gentle.

This was the first time he’d touched me further than my bare waist.

We finally pulled away to breathe and I looked up to him. He smiled warmly at me, his hand still over my , slightly cupping it. “I love you,” he whispered, his minty breath on my face.

“I love you too, Kai Oppa,” I whispered back, my heart racing. And I did. I love Kai, even if he was an alien, even if he wasn’t human.

He leaned in to kiss me again, taking his hand away to cup my face with both his hands.

“Daeseul — omo!”

We broke apart and looked toward the door to see Jaehyo, Taeil and Zico. Jaehyo was frowning and Taeil was sniggering. Zico just had a look of amusement on his face and he looked down, shaking his head slightly.

I sighed as Kai awkwardly rolled off of me. I glanced over at him and saw that he was slightly blushing. I turned to my brother and U-Kwon and frowned. “Don’t you guys know how to knock?” I asked them, feeling irritated.

“Next time lock the door,” Taeil snickered.

Jaehyo glowered at him before he held out the cordless phone. “Daehyun’s on the line,” he said to me. “Eun Hae’s in the hospital.”

 

Kai and I teleported to the hospital once my brother and his friends had left. In a way, I was really glad that Kai was an alien and that he has teleportation. I mean, imagine if he was just an ordinary human being. We wouldn’t have had arrived at the hospital within seconds — it would have taken us half an hour’s drive to get there from my house.

But Eun Hae . . . omo . . . I don’t believe it. I didn’t want to believe it when my brother told me that she had gotten worse. I thought she was getting better.

Once we reached to her room, we saw all the members of B.A.P there, along with Changjo, waiting outside the door to Eun Hae’s room.

I looked at all of them. They looked terrible.

Daehyun had his head sunk down to the floor, sitting on the bench. Changjo looked mad. Himchan kept puffing his cheeks, looking elsewhere but us. Yongguk had a blank expression on his face. Zelo was in tears and Jongup was comforting the maknae but his face looked drained. And Youngjae kept looking at the door as if he was hoping Eun Hae would suddenly come out with a smile on her face.

“How is she?” I blurted up as they looked up to notice my presence.

“The doctor said that she’s really bad right now,” Yongguk answered softly. “She might not even survive.”

I swallowed hard. It’s unbelievable. I knew she was dying, but it didn’t occur to me that she wouldn’t even make it past her eighteenth birthday.

This seemed cruel. My best friend was dying.

I turned and buried my head in Kai’s arms and I started to cry. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight. “Where’s her mom?” he wanted to know.

“She’s trying to convince her boss to let her off from the last shift,” Changjo replied a little hoarsely. He looked so distraught. “My aunty is with her.”

We heard running footsteps coming our way and turned to see Lu Han and an unfamiliar man in a far distance running toward us breathlessly.

“That’s Kris, Lu Han’s leader,” Kai whispered into my ears, his arms around my waist. “He can fly, and he’s very scary if you make him mad.”

I nodded, glad that Kai was able to inform me about him.

Daehyun stood up to face them squarely. “The two of you,” he spoke up angrily to both him and Kris, “have no reasons to be here. You should leave.”

“Please, I need to see her,” Lu Han begged, panting, trying to catch his breathe. “I really need to see her. We need to tell her some important things.”

“Like what?” Youngjae wanted to know, standing up to walk over to Daehyun’s side.

Just then the door opened and the doctor came out, looking weary, examining his clipboard. He looked up and turned to Daehyun who had looked up. He shook his head. “I’ve never seen anything like this,” he murmured. “Eun Hae was a very strong girl, even with cancer. I thought she would be able to make it until she was thirthy or something — not so early.”

“What’s wrong, doctor?” Yongguk wanted to know.

“I am trying to check up on that now,” the doctor replied, looking at all of us. “She was healthy but then something in her blood made her exhaust herself now. I checked the scans we had with her just now. It seemed as if she was fighting against a virus inside her body.”

I noticed that Lu Han and Kris were frowning.

“She’s very weak and I don’t know how much longer she can last,” the doctor went on, not happy to deliver such heartbreaking news. “But she’s awake now.”

“Can we see her?” Kris asked.

“And what relation might you be with the patient?” the doctor wanted to know.

“I’m her brother, so I can see her,” Daehyun said hurriedly, beating Kris and Lu Han. Without another word, he walked inside the room.

Lu Han turned to Kai. “We’re not allowed to see her,” he told Kai.

“We’ll explain everything later,” Kris went on as Kai and I had a look of confusion on our faces, “but right now we really need Eun Hae to want to talk to us.”

“Oh, yes,” the doctor said before he left. “Eun Hae was asking for two people by the name of Lu Han and Kris as well. Please let them know.”

Lu Han and Kris entered the room without any hesitation.

I gazed after their backs before the door closed behind them, bemused. What’s going on? I turned to Kai for answers but he was just as clueless as I was.

 

Lu Han’s POV

There were other patients in the room but the moment we walked in, I could hardly breathe because she was the only one I saw. She was so weak, so fragile, so skinny like she’d lost a lot of weight and her skin was no longer that bright glow but instead it was a slightly grayish tint.

I rushed to her other side, ignoring Daehyun’s scowls. I took her hand and fortunately she did not pull back. “Eun Hae, I am so sorry,” I said and I couldn’t help but cry. I don’t want her to die. She can’t die. “Please, don’t leave me. You can’t.” I kissed her because I missed the taste of her lips so much. She didn’t have the strength to kiss me back but I did not care. Even if she did, Daehyun was already pulling me away from her.

“You !” he hissed. “Don’t touch my sister.”

“Eun Hae, please, I love you. I really do. I may have been an idiot, but I promise you I never lied when I said I cared,” I told her. She needed to know how much I love her.

“I don’t know . . .”

I felt like my whole world was falling. She was still too hurt to forgive me. I looked down. “I understand,” I mumbled, stung by her words even though I really do not blame her. Instead, I blame myself.

Eun Hae slowly turned to Kris, and from the look in her eyes, she knew who he was to her. “All this time . . . where were you?” she wanted to know.

Kris winced as he came up to her as well. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “I’m so sorry,” he whispered, sitting on the edge of her bed. “I should have been there for you when all those crap was happening to you. I’m sorry, Eun Hae, I really am. But I honestly did not know about this until just recently. I had my suspicions when I first touched you.”

She closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh. “How is it even possible?” she wanted to know. “You met my mother twenty years ago, right?”

Daehyun frowned. “What’s going on?”

“Kris . . . is my father.” He gasped and she nodded. She looked at Kris with searching eyes. “How did you meet her?” She hesitated before adding, “Appa?”

I swear Kris beamed. He sat down next to her and began telling her and her poor lost brother about the story of how he met her mother. He looked at Daehyun and had apologized for what he had done, having an affair with their mother. But of course, in order to tell him that, he needed to know about Exo. When he was done, Daehyun was frowning.

“Wait, wait, wait, so you guys are aliens?” he asked us incredulously. “Even Kai? We nodded. His jaws dropped. He turned to his sister. “All this time you knew?”

She nodded. “I knew they were aliens . . . I didn’t know that Kris was my father until just a few hours ago when I saw my birth certificate.” Eun Hae looked at Kris. “Does this mean that I’m half-alien?”

Kris explained everything he just said to me, trying to cut down a lot of information, telling her the important parts. Eun Hae didn’t look too surprised when he told her. Daehyun did, since he never knew. I guess Eun Hae must have already gotten used to the weirdness. But she was taking everything so calmly that I was beginning to feel a little bit worried about this. This isn’t normal. Maybe she was just too tired.

Daehyun shook his head. “Eun Hae . . . you’re a demi-alien,” he said disbelievingly. “But you’re still my sister. You can’t die on me. Please. Umma may have accepted you back into her life — but I’m guessing it’s only because of Kris. She won’t want me. You’re the only family I’ve got left. You can’t die.”

She was so weak . . . like she might die any moment.  “You have Changjo.” She winced in pain and I knew her body was fighting to survive.

“She won’t make it,” Kris murmured to me in Chinese. “Look at her, Lu Han. She’s so weak. Do you honestly think she can fight? She will only waste her energy.”

“She’s your daughter; shouldn’t you want her to live?” I shot back furiously.

“What I want is for her not to suffer anymore.”

“I . . . am still here,” Eun Hae said softly.

Daehyun looked at her. “You can speak Chinese!”

Kris nodded. “As her birthday is nearing . . . her senses are getting sharper, yet her body is getting weaker.”

I looked at the time. I was surprised at how fast the time flew by. It was now ten minutes to midnight — ten minutes to her eighteenth birthday, whether she’ll live or she’ll die. She was getting weaker and we could all see it. She was exhausted and drained and we were all so scared whenever she closed her eyes to blink, wondering if it would be her last.

Kris hugged her. “I love you, Eun Hae, even if I hadn’t always been there for you,” he said into her ears. I could see that he was trying to hold back tears.

She smiled sadly at him. “If I had grown up with you . . . I think I would have loved you more than the father I grew up with,” she told him sincerely.

Kris began to cry. He turned away so she wouldn’t see, but it was obvious from the way that his shoulders were quaking. Daehyun had his head down buried in bed, and I knew that he was crying as well.

“Lay,” I said, a thought suddenly flashing before my mind. “He can heal. He could help us! He could heal her!” I turned my watch on. “Lay! Come down now!”

Lay appeared. “You called?”

“You need to heal Eun Hae of her terminal cancer,” I told him. I checked the time. It was three minutes to her birthday. Damn it, my heart was pounding so hard against my chest. I wanted so much for her to be well.

Beep . . . beep . . . beep . . .” her life monitor was sounding in an irritating sound, with the green line going up in zigzag every time her heart beat. That was the only thing that let us know that she was still alive. Her life was hanging on a life monitor.

Lay’s face paled. “Gege, I don’t know if I can do it, you know,” he whispered. “I’m not sure if I’m even strong enough to do this."

“Lu Han,” Eun Hae whispered. Her voice was sounding faint right now. “Don’t . . . don’t do this. Please. Don’t do this to yourself.” She meant for me not to get my hopes up.

Two minutes.

“Please, try,” I begged.

Beep, beep, beep, beep . . . it was going faster, meaning she was in critical stage.

Eun Hae was losing conscious.

Daehyun looked up at the beeping sound. He shot out of his seat. “Please, do it. Save my sister,” he begged Lay. His eyes darted toward me and Kris. “I need you guys to go out.”

“No way!” we protested.

“I agree,” Lay said and we started to protest but he cut us off. “Please. I will try, but I need concentration if I want to save her. Do it for her.”

For her.

I turned back to Eun Hae whose eyes were starting to drop. I didn’t want to leave her, but I knew that I had to. I leaned in and kissed her lips for hopefully not the last. They were still warm. Kris kissed her forehead and the two of us walked out of the room.

Please . . . live.

 

Lay’s POV

As dui zhang and Lu Han left the room, I hurried over to Eun Hae’s time. Before Kris and Lu Han came down, they had briefly told us about Eun Hae. I looked at the time. She had less than a minute to midnight.

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.

Her life monitor was beating fast. If it goes into a straight line, she would be dead. I can’t let a person die in my hands — literally. I quickly raised my hand toward Eun Hae. I glanced at the clock to check what time it was.

It was midnight sharp.

I turned to focus my attention back to Eun Hae who had closed her eyes, but her heart was still beating. Before my hand could reach her, her body went limp.

Beeeeeeeeeeep.

The green line became straight.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm updating the next chapter tomorrow (:

I feel so evil....but I hoped you guys like Kai's heart! Gifs and pictures aren't mine (: