The Last Game

The Heartbreaker's Game 2: What is Love?

Eun Hae’s POV

When I woke up, I saw Jongup and Youngjae sitting on the edge of my bed. They smiled when saw my eyes fluttering open. I sat up groggily, wondering how they got in. But then, of course, the maid would have opened the door for them once they told her that they were friends of mine. Figures.

“Hi,” Jongup greeted me with a friendly smile.

I looked around the room once my vision was clear. It was only the two of them. Did Daehyun not come to visit me as well? I was disappointed. I thought he’d come as well.

As if he was reading my thoughts, Jongup squeezed my leg gently and said, “Daehyun hyung wanted to come but he was busy. He said to tell you to get well soon and hopefully he’ll come to see you soon.”

Ah.

I nodded, feeling slightly better.

I turned toward Youngjae who had moved over to my side. He got under the covers next to me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “How are you? Daehyun hyung told us about you fainting.”

“I’m okay now,” I said in a small voice. I snuggled up with him, forgetting how warm he felt, remembering the times when we would just cuddle up together like this. I missed being this close to him. “Oppa . . .”

“Hey, what about me?”

My eyes flew opened to see Jongup with a teasing smile playing on his lips. I scowled darkly at that guy. “No one cares about you.”

“You’re still rude,” he remarked.

“And you’re still arrogant,” I shot back.

Youngjae burst out laughing and his chest rumbled. “I sure missed hearing the two of you arguing every day like you used to last time,” he spoke up, nuzzling my forehead softly with his chin.

Jongup and I just grimaced.

I looked at him who was looking back at me. “I missed arguing with you,” I admitted.

“I’m sure you do.”

I glowered at him. “Arrogant bastard.”

He laughed. “.” He came over to my other side and ruffled my hair — something he knew I hated it when he does it. “I should come over and irritate you often,” he said with amusement in his eyes.

“You want to die, is it?”

“As long as I get to see that irritated look on your face before you kill me,” he laughed and I threw a pillow at him, which he skillfully dodged. He got up. “I have to go for my dance class now. I’ll drop by tomorrow again, okay?” He ruffled my hair again.

“Aish!” I fixed my hair back.

Youngjae laughed and hugged me.

 

Kai’s POV

“H – Hyung!” I stammered nervously, looking around but we were the only ones around. “Err, what are you doing here?” Damn that Lu Han for leaving me.

“How far are you in getting Eun Hae’s heart broken?” Suho asked brusquely without beating around the bush.

I took a deep breath, wincing slightly. I had hoped that he wouldn’t ask me this. If my friends can stand up against him, I can too. But there were four of them and only one of you so you are at a disadvantage, a voice echoed in my head. I scowled. Shut up, a defensive voice spoke up.

“Yah, Kim Jongin, answer me!”

“I give up,” I told him, feeling a little bit nervous. But then I thought of reasons why I was giving up and suddenly found the courage to add, “I don’t want to play the Game anymore. I’m sick and tired of it.”

What?” he hissed angrily.

“You heard me.”

He stared incredulously at me. He opened his mouth several times but no words came out from it. He was speechless. “Has this got to do with that girl?” he finally asked after a few minutes of gawking at me.

“Yes, this has to do with her,” I replied, not wanting to lie about my feelings for Daeseul anymore. “I’m in love with Nam Daeseul.”

“It’s against the rules to fall in love.”

“But I’m not playing the Game anymore.”

“Are you stupid?” Suho yelled. “Over a girl? Does she even know that you’re not human? Does she know that you’re an alien? What if you tell her and she freaks out? Would she still want to be with you? You’ll have no one to comfort you after she breaks up with you because you’re not what she thought you were! Because I’m not going to be there for you when your heart gets broken.”

“Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun and D.O support me,” I argued.

“You !” he slapped my cheek. “They didn’t support you the way I did. I took you in and took care of you and this is how you repay me? all I asked to return the favor is to play the Game, it’s not that hard!”

“If it’s not so hard, why don’t you and Kris play it yourselves, then? Did you know that Kris did the same thing you did to the others? They escaped too! Face it, hyung, the two of you are losing control over all of us. We’re not going to play anymore. Lu Han won. Exo-M won, Exo-K lost. Get over it.”

Suho reached out to slap me again and I closed my eyes for the impact — but it never came. When I opened my eyes, I saw that his hands were in the air, as if a force was holding it back. I saw the look in his eyes. He was looking at something behind my shoulder.

I looked back.

Lu Han had his right palm out toward us with a cloth in his left. It took me a while to figure out what happened. He had used his powers to stop Suho from slapping me.

Did Lu Han, my enemy, just defend me?

He walked up to us and threw his hand away, making Suho drop his hand to his side. Lu Han did not look happy. “If he wants out, he’s out,” he said. “I’ve already won, anyway. There’s no point in him playing anymore. Why not let him enjoy and have fun? Why don’t we just forfeit the Game?”

“We can’t.”

Kris suddenly appeared out of nowhere and the three of us jumped, giving a little startled cry. Lu Han dropped the cloth he was holding onto the floor.

Kris frowned at the way we responded to his arrival. “Is my face really that unpleasant to look at?” he wanted to know.

“Yes,” Suho replied with a straight face.

He glowered at him.

“Dui zhang, why can’t we forfeit the Game since I already won in that sense?” Lu Han asked him before he and Suho started a world war right here and there.

That distracted Kris’ attention and he turned back to him. “I talked to Minion 1 about it just now. The system isn’t used with forfeits. They need to key in the details of how the Game is played and how the winners win — and there has never been any forfeit because the system can only recognize heartbreaks. It’ll go haywire if we say that there were not any heartbreaks.”

“Why can’t we just make one up?” I asked.

“That’s not so easy to do so when everything’s caught on tape,” Suho replied, referring to the invisible cameras that followed us everywhere.

Lu Han gnashed his teeth together. “You two started the Game! You and your stupid system and your stupid pathetic feud!” he snapped.

“Lu Han —” Kris started to say.

But he just cut him off. “I am sick and tired of playing the Game! I don’t want to play the Game! And yet I have to sleep with her and break her heart by her birthday next month and I can’t get out of it!”

“Why next month?” Suho wanted to know.

“Apparently, there’s a time limit,” Kris replied. He looked at him. “Do you remember ever setting a time limit for each Game?”

Suho frowned thoughtfully. “Oh yeah . . . we set a time limit only because we’re scared it might take too long. But none of the Games ever lasted that long so eventually we thought that there was no time limit at all.”

“That’s beside the point!” Lu Han snarled. “I — don’t — want — to — play — the — Game — anymore.”

“You know what you need to do in order for the Game to finish. It’s best if you do it quickly,” Kris replied evenly, sighing a little bit.

“Don’t you get it?” He slammed his fist on the nearest table. “I don’t want to play the Game, ever. Kai and the others all don’t want to play the Game ever again either.”

Suho and Kris exchanged glances and they seemed to have a silent conversation. It was weird to see them trying to agree on something because for the past seventy years we’ve known them, they always try to disagree with each other.

Finally the two of them nodded their heads.

“Frankly,” Suho spoke up slowly, “I can’t even remember why we started the Game. I only remembered why it got more intense for the past twenty Games.”

Kris shot him a murderous glare. “In the meantime,” he went on, trying to calm himself down by turning back to Lu Han, “you should finish the Game faster if you want to stop paying.”

“I —”

“Just finish it and then you don’t have to play anymore,” Kris continued. He paused for a moment. “Ever.”

“Wait.” Suho said and we all turned to him. “There is an immediate disqualification. That is, if any of you sleep with the wrong girl.”

All eyes turned to me.

“I’m not sleeping with Daeseul just for that reason,” I growled defensively, folding my arms across my chest. I shook my head firmly, adamant. I was not going to do that to Daeseul. No way. If I sleep with her, I want it to be because I want to, not because I want the Game to end quickly.

“Well, there’s . Lu Han can always her, get her heart broken fast,” Kris said hopefully.

No,” Lu Han said sharply.

“Well, it’s up to you,” Kris replied, shrugging.

“I’m confused,” I spoke up. I felt as if this was a puzzle piece and I was missing a piece. “Suho hyung, you act as if you don’t want to play the Game anymore, that you don’t want me to even try to win — almost like you’ve given up on fighting.”

“That’s because you’re so useless,” Suho sighed. “Kris already won the Game the moment Lu Han began to date Eun Hae.”

“So, what?” Lu Han wanted to know, looking between Kris and Suho. “From now on there will be no more Game, is that what you guys are trying to say?”

“We’ll only continue this Game for the sake of the system,” Kris replied. “But once her heart is broken, we’ll go back to Exo and next year we’ll just live in peace. We’re not friends, but there will be no more Game.” He shook his head. “Winning is good enough. I don’t care anymore. All of you are giving me a headache. I’ve never felt like I wanted to go into my dragon mood more than once for a long time until now — I feel like snapping every day.”

“Is that why you hang out with Eun Hae so much?” Lu Han wanted to know. “Because she’s the only person who can calm you down whenever you were feeling angry?”

“What?” Suho asked sharply. “What’s this rubbish?”

“Shut the up and out of my business,” Kris advised him.

“What happens if Lu Han doesn’t meet the three-months’ time limit?” I wanted to know.

“Destruction,” Kris replied.

Suho, Lu Han and I winced.

That was a word no one was allowed to say so freely aloud. It was almost the forbidden word. Destruction meant destruction of SM Building, the place where most of us grew up in. And it also meant it would bring calamity upon our family and friends, our loved ones—and even on Eun Hae, as she was the chosen girl.

“Did you not have noticed the chaos you guys created the moment the Game started?” Lu Han sighed.

I really admired his ability to be so blunt about his questions with them. I didn’t dare to do that. As much as I’m tired of Suho’s orders, I’m still scared of him because he still have authority over me.

“No, otherwise the Game wouldn’t have been created,” Suho snapped.

Lu Han puffed his cheeks out, blowing a frustrated raspberry. “And I have to do it by her birthday next month?” he asked Kris.

“Preferably earlier if you can,” Kris replied.

“So, all in all, this is the last Game?” I asked, wanting to be certain and they nodded. “Lu Han needs to break her heart before her birthday next month or else de — I mean, chaos — will come upon us all?”

“Yeap,” Suho nodded.

Kris nodded as well. “Well, I guess that’s it,” he said, looking at all of us. “Lu Han, don’t forget, you have until her birthday next month.”

Suho glanced at me. “Kai, you do know that once the Game is over, you’re going to have to come back to Exo?” he asked me.

“I —”

“You don’t belong here,” he went on. “You’re not from Earth. And you can’t just leave every one of us because of some girls. Bros before hoes, remember?”

“She’s not a hoe!”

“You know what I mean.

“But —”

You are coming home,” he said, speaking in his voice of authority and I sighed because I’m stilled compelled to listen to his orders. Some bonds will never be broken.

“I’ll see,” I said, not want to make any promises.

He sighed. “You’re so stubborn,” he muttered.

Lu Han frowned uneasily. Everyone was counting on him to finish the Game fast. It was a heavy weight on him, to be honest. But will he do it?

For the sake of this being the last Game?

 

Kris and Suho’s POV

I can’t believe they actually fell for that.

Did they honestly think that this would be the last Game? They’re idiots if they believed our story. Of course this isn’t going to be the last Game.

But then again, we only said it because they needed to be convinced. And then when next year comes, they’ll have to play again. But we’re definitely not going to choose the same girl like we tried doing this year.

And this is definitely not the Last Game.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aish, if only it WAS the last Game D:

Anyway, if you're unclear about some things, lemme know. I'm getting confused with a twisted plot too :/