Kris' Past and Eun Hae's Identity

The Heartbreaker's Game 2: What is Love?

No One’ POV

Twenty years ago . . .

Kris was bored.

Chen had just won the Fifty-First Game and now Kris had nothing to do to keep himself busy. While the other members of Exo-M were in the training room to build up their powers and to learn how to have better control over their powers better and properly, he was stuck back in the dorm. There was nothing to do, and there was nothing nice showing on television. He was bored stiff.

So he thought maybe he’d go to Earth and see what interesting things the earthlings were doing down there in their own planet.

He arrived in the heart of Seoul, looking around the busy city as cars flashed by him, crowds walking past him on the streets, with the cars honking each other in the jam as people tried to reach work early.

Where should he go?

Shrugging, he walked off to the nearest shopping mall. Maybe he could shop for some materials that his friends would need. He made a reminder to buy buns for XiuMin while he was at it.

After shopping for a few good hours, he soon grew tired, his feet aching, and he heard his stomach grumbling hungrily. Time to eat, he thought and went to the nearest restaurant to have his afternoon meal.

He sat down on a table and soon a pretty waitress appeared, holding a menu. He read the name tag to see what her nam was.

Oh Min Ah.

Huh, she was very pretty, her black hair down with a tinge of brown shone in the light. Her eyes were almond-shaped and hazel in color and she had double eyelids, with by thin, long eyelashes. Kris could see a couple of freckles on her nose. She wasn’t that tall, but that made her look cute. And when she smiled, it was really dazzling and Kris momentarily was lost in a trance, forgetting why he was there.

“Ahem, sir?”

Kris shook his head. “Uh . . .” he said stupidly.

She giggled. “Would you like to know what our specialty is?”

He nodded dumbly.

As she told him, he tried to pay attention but all he could think about was why was his heart racing so fast?

She was attracting him.

It took him a moment to realize that she had finished and was waiting for him to choose. So he quickly looked down to the menu, blushing, as he scanned the menu and chose the first meal he laid eyes on.

She smiled at him. “I think you made a very good choice,” she said, jotting it down before she went to place his orders.

 

When Kris went home that day, for some strange reason he wasn’t able to take his mind off her. He’d spent days just thinking about her, not doing anything. All his friends thought it was pretty weird, but they didn’t care because whatever distracted him didn’t make him feel like shouting at them and they were happy with that.

Kris couldn’t take it anymore and went back. He kept returning and found himself being attracted to her. He soon found out that she was twenty, married, and had just given birth to a baby boy. But somehow, he didn’t care. He just wanted to be around her company. She made him feel so happy . . . in ways he never imagined he would feel.

He fell in love with her.

But he didn’t confess to her. She was married and had a kid, for goodness’ sake! So he settled with being just friends even though that was really hard. He grew closer to her and soon found after almost a year of hanging around with her, he out that she wasn’t happy with her marriage, since it was actually an arranged marriage.

Then she did the unimaginable — she said she had fallen in love with him! Kris was really happy, but what about her husband and baby?

Min Ah told him she wanted to get a divorce and he was willing to wait, as long as she promised she would come straight into his arms. So she signed up for a divorce, and of course she also had to fight for custody of her son.

Every night she would go to Kris upset after another argument with her husband who refused to sign the papers. And she refused to let Kris go up to him because she didn’t want her husband finding out about the affair she was having behind his back.

Kris knew that she was the one for him so he revealed his secret — that he was an alien. To his surprise, Min Ah was shocked but quickly accepted the fact because she simply loved him too much to care.

They were so in love.

In fact, Kris was delighted to hear that she accepted him and she was reassured that he trust her enough to tell her his deepest secret.

So they made love, even though it was wrong.

Kris went back to Exo with a goofy smile not too long afterward because the Game was starting again. When XiuMin, who was playing, lost, he didn’t get mad because he was too in love and happy with Min Ah.

That stirred things up and made Suho curious of why he was acting this way.

So he investigated the matter and soon discovered Kris’ secret — he was in love with a human girl! Suho found out as much as he could about Min Ah, and about their relationship and smiled when he realized how screwed up it was if things didn’t exactly turn out the way that the two of them hoped.

And of course, being Kris’ enemy, he couldn’t stand him being happy. So what did he do? He changed into an image of Kris and approached Min Ah while Kris had to go back to Exo to take care of his friends. Suho went up to Min Ah and told her that ‘he’ never loved her and that he was with her only for .

Shocked and hurt, Min Ah told him that she was pregnant with their child, not believing that ‘Kris’ would tell her in the midst of her divorce. She demanded to know why he would lie to her, making her believe that he truly cared about her. She broke down and cried, not wanting to believe that this was the Kris she thought she knew and loved.

Obviously it wasn’t, but she didn’t know that.

‘Kris’ just laughed cruelly and told her that ‘he’ didn’t want to have anything to do with her anymore and walked away, feeling very satisfied with himself. That was what Kris deserved after Kris had ruined his relationship with the girl he loved.

When the real Kris came back, he was shocked and stunned to see that she hated him and had decided to stay married to her husband. He was even more confused when she practically threw him out of her life and refused to see him. But it didn’t take him long to know who was the mastermind behind this. He went to see Suho and would have killed him if his friends hadn’t held him back.

Then he spent the rest of his life seething with Suho, not knowing that he had a daughter with Min Ah all along as Min Ah refused to talk to him and Suho never told him about what Min Ah had told him that day.

 

“When I chose her, I noticed the resemblance but I didn’t really think much about it because I thought I was missing Min Ah too much that I thought I was starting to see her everywhere,” Kris was saying to Lu Han, “but when I came down to see you and Eun Hae that time, when I touched her, I saw that familiar face. I could never ever mistake that face for anyone else’s. So I did a background check on Eun Hae and indeed her mom, Oh Min Ah, was the same Min Ah I fell in love with. And then I found out that Eun Hae was my daughter.” He looked at his friend. “Now you know why I cared so much about Eun Hae. It wasn’t because I was in love with her. I merely loved her like how a real father would have loved his daughter. Daehyun is her half-brother.”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” Lu Han paused and rolled his eyes. “Wait, don’t tell me; I’m not supposed to know about it.”

“No, it was because I was scared. I didn’t know how to react to this news. I mean, imagine if Eun Hae comes up to you saying that you’re a father of her child.”

Lu Han blushed, remembering that when they made love, he wasn’t wearing any protection since she said that she was on pill. . . . What if she wasn’t? He shook that thought off. Then he frowned. “She thinks Daehyun’s dad is her dad. Has she never seen her birth certificate before?”

Kris shrugged. “I’m not sure about that. I’m not even sure if Min Ah registered me as Eun Hae’s father. If Eun Hae sees it, she might find it weird, since I’m twenty-two and she’s eighteen.”

Lu Han gave him a Look. “You’re technically a hundred and forty-seven.”

Kris shrugged.

“Does this mean that she’s half-alien? Is that even . . . possible?”

Kris nodded. “It’s not unusual to be half-alien,” he replied softly. “But there’s a catch to it — a very complicated one. As you grow older, you tend to go more to your father’s side, meaning if a half-alien’s father is human, they’ll be more human. Whereas, for Eun Hae’s case since I’m an alien and I’m her father, she’ll become more alien.”

Lu Han raised an eyebrow, trying to process it all in. “She’ll become an alien, too?” He frowned. “Does this mean that she has a power? Wait, but our powers only start developing the nearer you reach eighteen and once you reach eighteen that’s a ripe year to start training on your powers. But Eun Hae is still —” He caught himself. “She’s turning eighteen tomorrow. Will her aging slow down?”

Once you reach eighteen, your aging slows down, which explained why although Lu Han is over a hundred and forty-seven years old; he still looked like he was twenty-two. . . . . Or maybe even younger because of his baby face. Before you turn eighteen, your powers start developing and you’ll start to show signs of it. When you turn eighteen, your powers would have been fully developed — but it also depended if you were going to train your powers to be able to control it better otherwise it might cause havoc.

“Yes, her aging will slow down and yes, she does have a power . . . it’s quite dangerous. Ever heard of charm-speak?” Kris wanted to know.

“You mean like the Greek Goddess of Love, Aphrodite’s power? She can charm speak?”

Kris nodded. “Remember when she was still badly traumatized by Zico and would attack you whenever you held her too tight? Remember when she asked you to hold tight onto her and not let go if she resist? Didn’t you want to let go yet a part of you told you to hold on?”

Lu Han nodded.

“That was her power. And how else do you think she was able to calm me down from my dragon mode?” Kris asked him softly.

“But that means even the simplest thing would make people compelled to do things for her!” he protested.

“Which is why she needs proper training,” Kris replied calmly.

It all made sense now . . . of why Lu Han often felt compelled to do whatever she pleaded him to do it. Along with that irresistible aegyo of hers, it was also because of her powers. He was about to ask Kris if she could charm speak, why didn’t Yongguk and Himchan listened to her when they tried to her or stop bullying her when she begged them to stop when he remembered that the powers only start showing up when she was nearing eighteen. She had been sixteen when they tried to her.

“We need to tell her about it,” Lu Han urged.

“That’s going to be a problem,” Kris told him.

What?

“How are any of us going to tell her about this? She had specifically told us that she never wanted to see any members of Exo ever again,” Kris reminded him. “So even if we want to see her, we can’t because we don’t allow ourselves to break the compulsion. At least, I haven’t come across a way where we can break it.”

That explained why Lu Han wanted to see her but felt like he shouldn’t; it was because of her powers.

He shook his head. His mind was spinning too much from everything he had just heard. How on Exo did Kris manage to remember it all?

Kris hesitated. “There’s more.”

“What more?”

He hesitated again but decided to go on, knowing full well that if he didn’t, Lu Han would go crazy and research it himself. Might as well save the trouble of researching when he could just tell him now. “I researched more about this whole half-alien, half-human thing and you know what? This is why she has that condition — because her body isn’t sure of which to be, alien or human. So her body is constantly fighting against itself. As a regular human being, it was harming her body, but as an alien, she’s strong enough to still be alive, especially with the help of medicines.”

“What happens to her body once it turns eighteen?”

“I – I don’t know. I just know that if the child’s father an alien, the closer it gets to her birthday, the weaker her human blood becomes and the stronger her alien blood becomes — and that’s the most crucial time for the body. They have to constantly fight and everything. The human blood in her will fight to survive and the alien blood inside of her will fight to take over her body.”

Lu Han kept quiet, pondering about this. From the way Kris looked like he was in pain, he knew that there was a deeper meaning to that. “What is the percentage of half-aliens —?” he started to ask.

“Demi-aliens.”

“What?” he asked blankly.

“That is the proper term. They’re called demi-aliens; half human, half alien. It’s sort of like demigods, like Hercules and Percy Jackson,” Kris explained to him. him.

“Okay, whatever,” Lu Han said dismissively, waving a hand with a scowl on his face. “What is the percentage of demi-aliens making out of that stage alive?”

Kris had hoped he wouldn’t ask that question.

“Dui zhang,” Lu Han said sharply after Kris had remained silently for a few minutes. “What is the percentage?” he repeated his question.

Kris looked down, not meeting his gaze. “Twenty percent, if the father is a human and the mother is alien,” he told Lu Han the statistics.

He grated his teeth with frustration and felt like tearing his hair out. Kris was deliberately trying to do anything to get him out of answering the question. But Lu Han wasn’t going to let him off that easily, no way; not when it comes to Eun Hae. “And what if the father is an alien? How much percentage is that?” he urged.

He winced, really not wanting to say the answer out to him. “Ten . . .” he said slowly and Lu Han’s mouth dropped from his jaws, agape. “. . . But for Eun Hae’s case . . . possibly around five percentage or less.”

Lu Han frowned, obviously not happy with the statistics. “What do you mean by for her case? What are you not telling me about?” he demanded to know.

Kris sighed, knowing that Lu Han had too sharp of a mind to be able to keep any kind of important information about Eun Hae from him. “What I’m saying that she is strong enough to fight, if not for the fact that —”

“Dui zhang!” Chen burst out as he entered the room, not caring if he was rudely interrupting their private conversation, his eyebrows creased with worry. He needed to talk to Kris urgently. “There’s something important which I have to tell you!” he told his leader.

Kris tensed.

He had asked Chen to keep tabs on Eun Hae and to immediately report straight to him if he had seen anything on the camera important worth telling Kris about. This mustn’t be good, then.

But he prayed that it was.

“Eun Hae has been admitted to the hospital!” Chen informed and Lu Han gasped while Kris’ face turned as white as a ghost. “She was with Youngjae. They were just hugging because he was comforting her when all of a sudden she just collapsed in his arms. She’s in a critical condition right now.”

Lu Han looked at the time. It was almost seven in the evening and suddenly he understood what was happening. “It’s happening,” he said quietly. “The time where her body starts to fight.”

“It’s a lot worse than that,” Kris whispered hoarsely, closing his eyes as he felt the life being out of him. “That’s not the only thing that’s attacking her body, that’s not the only thing she has to fight against.”

“What do you mean?”

“Lu Han, she’s dying. Eun Hae has terminal cancer.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I somehow love giving my characters leukemia/cancer.

Haaa....how does everyone feel? Overwhelmed? Lemme know if you guys are still unclear on some things and I'll try to clear it up, aye?

So. Kris is Eun Hae's father. She's dying. Hurrr. That oughta sum up this chapter :P *says it so casually*

Calm your hearts, people. Don't spazz/freak/get mad.