Deep Breath

Me and the Boys Volume 3: Closure

After scouring the party for what seemed like hours, TOP finally found Gina in the kitchen, refilling ice. He knocked softly on the back door before entering. Gina barely heard, so he knocked a little harder.

" Ex...excuse me.", TOP said softly. Gina snapped her head back from the freezer and looked in TOP's direction.

" Oh, TOP. Come on in baby. You don't need to knock. What do you need? The bathroom?", she asked.

TOP smiled. " Oh no, remember how I told you last week that I wanted to talk with you about something? well I was hoping now was a good time.", he said nervously, still standing at the door.

" Oh, well - why not. Wer'e just hanging out all day, eating and partying. Come on in, sit down.", said Gina, motioning TOP to sit on the yellow leather barstools that were at the island in the middle of the kitchen. He walked in and took a seat. Gina sat next to him and placed two glasses of lemonade on the counter. TOP smiled and thanked her, taking a sip.

" So, what's going on? Is my daughter being crazy?", Gina laughed.

TOP chuckled as well. " No it's actually quite the opposite. I think your daughter is...amazing.", Gina smiled and nodded waiting for him to continue.

" I'm not sure how to do this or say this, because Iv'e never done this before. Not even close, with any girl. But I love your daughter, very, very much. And I want to spend the rest of my life with her.", TOP paused trying to read Gina's expression.

Gina stared at him with a smile on her face." Go on.", she half teased, guessing what he would say next.

TOP sighed, looking down at his shaking hands before making eye contact with Gina gain." So , if it's okay with you, if you approve. I would love to ask Lyra to be my wife.", he finally sputtered out. Gina bolted off the barstool and raised her arms in the air.

" Hot Dang! That's what I was waiting for!", she yelled joyously. TOP was taken aback,  but was happy with her reaction. He laughed and smiled at her enthusiasm.

" So, so you approve?", he asked, stunned.

" I do. But on one condition.", she said, sudenly becoming serious.

The smile faded from TOP's face as he grew worried again, momentarily. " What?"

" If your'e gonna be a part of this family, you need to loosen up!", said Gina grabbing his shoulders and shaking them back and forth playfully. This caused him to smile.

" I'm sorry, it's just my culture. We don't hug, smile and joke around unless we know the other person very well.", he expressed.

" Well, wer'e family now. Is that close enough?", Gina asked.

TOP smiled. " Yes...yes it is."

" So, when is all this going down?", Gina asked. She and TOP sat for awhile as he spilled the details in his broken English as to how he planned to propose to Lyra.  A half an hour and 4 glasses of lemonade later, the conversation ended and TOP's bladder was full.

" I dig it! I think it's great idea. Don't worry, I know she loves you. It's diferent than with Evan, trust me.", assured Gina.

" I'm glad to hear that , especially coming from you.", he said, rocking back and forth in his seat.

" Ok, I'm gonna let you go before you pee all over my Italian barstools.", joked Gina giving TOP a kiss on the cheek. " Welcome to the family, now go on!", she said pointing him in the direction of the bathroom. He smiled and practically ran there. He bumped into Teya who was coming out.

" Oh, sorry.", he said .

" I'm not.", she purred as she strutted past him. He shook his head and muttered to himself.

" Minzy number 2...", he said befopre closing the bathroom door behind him.

.............................

Outside everyone was at a large table,finishing up their meals and contemplating dessert.

" Mmmn, sweet potato pie? Never had it, but Koreans love to eat sweet yams.", said YB.

" Oh, you have to have some! My mother's recipe is delicious. She makes it all from scratch, even the crust.If you notice, the crust is perfectly flaky. It's because of the way she cut the butter and the flour together, producing a balanced interaction of Gluten and fat.", commented Kayleen. Everyone looked at her blankly. Kayleen was Lyra's eldest and brainiest sister. She was gorgeous as well, with short hair, cropped just below the ear in a stylish bob, glasses, a flawless butterscotch complexion and shapely, somewhat plump lips. However, her beauty was a non-issue in her book. She could have cared less about any of it, preferring to lose herself in facts and politics. Though many people rarely seemed to understand what was coming out of , aside from her college colleagues.Donique used to Kayleen's ramblings, ignored the comment and turned her attentions to YB, who she'd managed to worm a seat next to.

" So, Tay - yayng. You got a girlfriend?", she asked him point blank.

YB blushed and chuckled nervously. " I do actually.", he answered.

Donique rolled her eyes. " Dang! That's too bad, cuz I'm single.", she said, looking blankly into his eyes. He chuckled again.

" Your'e funny.", he said.

" I'm serious.", she replied. Just then, TOP came barreling towards them with a huge smile on his face. He took a seat next to Teya who was sitting across from Kayleen. Lyra was not there.

" Hey where's Lyra?", asked TOP excitedly.

" Talking to some cousins of hers. You look happy!", noticed GD.

" I am.", said TOP noticing Kayleen, who he had not met.

" Are you Lyra's other sister?", he asked.

" Ne majayo.", she answered in Korean.

" You speak?", TOP asked, surprised.

" Aniyo, just a little. My core languages are Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Farsi. I love the language though. Talk about linguistic gymnastics!", she smiled, amused with herself.

" Well, nice to meet you. Since you're going to find out soon enough. I just had a talk with Lyra's mom and she said she will be happy to have me as a son in law.", announced TOP. YB and GD almost jumped out of their seats.

" Keep it chill though, Lyra has a sixth sense about things. I don't want her to get suspicious.", said TOP,  grinning from ear to ear. Donique and Kayleen were smiling.

" Wow, so our family is finally going international! Splendid!", beamed Kayleen.

" Sorry this is your first time meeting me, but I plan to come back and spend some one on one time with the family beforehand. Also I have been in communication with your mother for a few months now, via Skype with Lyra and phone.", said TOP.

" You sure you wanna marry into this family?", joked Donique, which made YB chuckle.

" This girl.", he laughed.

" Oh, I'm not being funny.", said Donique, again with the blank stare. Teya was rolling her eyes.

" So you wanna marry my sister too? As long as you don't have a druggie, Bristish chick on the side.", she snarled. This took TOP off guard.

" I...I don't, but I understand your concern.", he said awkwardly.

" Ignore her.", said Kayleen.

" I'll be back, I want to go spend some time with my future fiance.", said TOP getting up to find Lyra.

" Bring me back some sweet potato pie! With extra whipped cream!", yelled GD as TOP was walking off.