The Dregs

Me and the Boys Volume 3: Closure

Se7en sat in a tattered brown pleather and metal chair, waiting to see his visitor for the day. As he sat, he scanned the room made up of weathered faced men, many of whom had been in for years with no hope of ever getting out. He wasnt like these men, Se7en thought to himself. These were men he hired, to do dirty work and these were explicitly dirty work men. He was pulled from his thoughts by the sound of a familiar pair of footsteps. Only one person walked with that kind of rythymn. He looked up to see Hanbyul advancing towards him, her demeanor and body language, sharp and cold. Definitely not he Hanbyul he knew, but she looked gorgeous as always. Her long dark tresses cascaded down her shoulders and was complemented by a figure flattering light peach dress that seemed to hug every delicate curve of hers.

" Dongwook.", she said.

" Hanbyul...if that is your real name.", he replied, icily.

" I'm not here to discuss my real name.", she answered as she took her seat.

" So what are you here for?"

" I guess...I guess I felt like I needed to come here.", she said. He glared at her, shifting in his seat. He leaned back and folded his arms, anticipating her next words.

" Why?",  he asked.

" Listen, the evidence is pretty clear. The truth is, your case won't hold up in court. If your lucky they'll  knock 5 years off your sentence, but with the laundering, the drug and human trafficking...the murders, that you executed. You'll be in here indefinitely...for life."

" Well, thanks for being the bearer of bad news, but you didn't have to come all the way here for that. Tell me something I don't already know, sweetheart.", he said sardonically.

" This isn't easy for me to say, but chances are I won't see you anymore after this and I feel like I need to get this off my chest.", she said. 

He nodded his head in her direction. " You have the floor."

" I loved you. I really did. I was just doing a job at first, I didn't think I would get attached,until I did. It even got to a point where I didn't believe you were guilty and I wanted  to get off the case and just...just be with you. But I took an oath and I knew I had a duty to KISO and to all of your victims. But I hated lying to you.", she acknowledged. Se7en looked at her, unimpressed.

" Why are you telling me all this? You think any of it matters now? I'm going to sit in this crap hole until I rot and you want me to know that you loved me? If you really loved me you wouldn't be here right now, rubbing the past in my face. You get to walk out of that door, a free woman...and I don't. Ever. But you know what, I can think back and say to myself that I loved you too. But obviously not enough to tell you the truth.So here we are...I guess wer'e even", he said.

Hanbyul looked into his steely eyes, though they were cold, she could see hurt lying deep behind them. But she had done what she came for and she had nothing else left to say.

" I guess your'e right then. Wer'e even. Goodbye Dongwook.", she said before standing up. She looked at him once more, before turning and walking away.

.............................

TOP's feet slammed against the pavement , adrenaline pumping through his veins as he fought to navigate his way through the darkness.

" Sissy! Lyra!", he yelled. He had lost them both and he felt a pang of fear beginning to claw it's way up his throat. He could see nothing, through the dense fog, until finally a shock of dark chestnut curly hair appeared in the distance. He picked up the pace and bolted in that direction.

" Lyra! Lyra!!", he extended his arm out to her, as he drew near. The fog began to clear and Lyra became visible, however, she wasn't alone. A masked man stood behind her, one arm wrapped around her neck while the other hand held a knife to . TOP watched as her small frame trembled. She took quick breaths, trying to stifle her screams and TOP felt his ire rise.

" Leave her alone!", TOP demanded, but the masked man did nothing but laugh. TOP whipped his head to the left upon hearing another voice, it was Hye Yoon's. His sister was in the exact same position, with an identical masked man holding a knife to as well. TOP advanced towards them both, but was perplexed to find himself unable to move beyond where he was, his body continually colliding against some sort of invisible shield. The men laughed maniacally as TOP cried at the top of his lungs.

" No! No! No! Let them go! Let them go!", he screamed. He watched in horror as the men, simultaneously slit both Lyra's and Hye Yoon's throats. Bright blood gushed and then slowly trickled down their necks.

" Aaaaagggh!!! Bastards! Bastards!!!", TOP roared, as he lunged ahead, only to crash against the invisible shield once again. In perfect sync, the men pulled off their masks to reveal their faces. Both men were Se7en. They looked dead into TOP's eyes and sneered at him, triumphantly.

" Nooooooo!!!", TOP shouted.

Top shot up in bed, his eyes as wide as saucers. He touched his moist face and looked down to find his sheets drenched in sweat. He breathed heavily and threw the covers off his body. He then got out of bed, walked to the bay window and stared outside, losing himself in the still of the night sky.

............................

The next morning, TOP decided to stop by the therapy center, where Hye Yoon was scheduled for a session. He figured he would check in on her then head to the studio afterwards. He arrived to the room, reception directed him to, to see her mouthing syllables with her instructor, a petite woman, who looked to be in her late -forties. Her thick graying hair was tied up into a tight bun and her tiny wrists were adorned in gold bracelets of varying sizes.

" Ice -cream. You try it, ice-cream.", the older lady repeated. It was Hye Yoon's turn.

" Ays...keem."

" No, close though. Move your mouth like this. Ice. it's a tall sound.", the lady drug out the "i" in ice while extending her arm to the ceiling. She slowly positioned and asked Hye Yoon to mimick.

" Like this, can you do this?", asked her instructor.

" Ahs, ahs, i..iy..i-yees, i-yees.", said Hye Yoon. A smile of delight spread across the instructors face.TOP who had been leaning against the door watching, clapped. They both looked up and a bright smile, radiated across Hye Yoon's face.

" Hi sissy.", he said, then he turned his attentions to the therapist.

" I'm TOP , her brother. Nice to meet you.", he said bowing and reaching his hand out for a shake.

" Nice to meet you. I'm Ms. Mun. I know I'm being a total noona by saying this, but I'm a huge fan of yours."

" Oh. Well thank you. What is your favorite song?"

" Oh Mom. SUB-UNIT is great too!  Love in Color is such a fun song."she beamed.

" Oh, two of my favorites as well."

" I'd like to add that I think you and Lyra are cute together. I don't care what some may say, she's a beautiful girl and you both have a fantastic connection. So anyway, enough fan-girling. I should be ashamed, at my age.", she chuckled nervously. TOP gave her a reassuring smile.

" It's ok, I'll tell Lyra, she'll be flattered as well." TOP told Ms. Mun as she slightly bowed.

" So your sister is doing great. Once I tell her how and where to place , it's only a matter of time before she's able to pronuunce it,  almost perfectly. Like ice. Can you say ice for your brother?", asked Ms. Mun.

" I - yees.", Hye Yoon smiled. TOP pulled her in for a hug.

" That's great sissy and you look so cute saying it.", he gushed over his big sister,  as they all laughed.

" I'm so sorry to have to do this, but we don't actually allow visitors during sessions. I made an exception because, well...your'e TOP. But we will be taking a break in a few minutes if you want to stick around?", offered Ms. Mun.

" Oh of course.", he nodded. " I'll be right outside.", he said giving Hye Yoon a quick smile. He stepped out into the hallway and pulled his phone out of his pocket and decided to give Lyra a call while he waited.

" Hi babe, are you on your way?", she asked.

" In about half an hour or so.I'm at the therapy center checking on Sissy."

" Oh, cool. How's she doing?"

" Really well actually, I'm so proud of her.", he said.

" That's awesome. So how about you? You ok?"

TOP, let out a deep breath." I had a nightmare last night, an awful one."

" Oh no, about what?"

" Ugh, I really don't wanna talk about it, but it freaked me pretty bad. I woke up in a cold sweat."

" Oh babe, I'm sorry to hear that." Lyra responded tenderly.

" Yeah, so I stayed up pretty late. I couldn't get back to sleep but it, uh...it got me thinking.", he said ominously.

" Yeah?", Lyra awaited his response.

" Yeah. The last couple of months have been crazy to say the least and honestly Lyra, I kind of feel like I'm losing it sometimes.", he admitted.

" Oh babe,really? I know you haven't been yourself lately, what with everything that's happened, but I didn't know you felt like you were going crazy?"

" Not completely crazy, but I feel like I don't have a hold of my life anymore. Like everything is slipping from my grasp and I don't know how to hold on. I just think...I think maybe I need to talk to someone."

" Ok, like a therapist or something?"

" Yeah, like a therapist or something. Is that weird?", he said, unsure of his own admission.

" Babe, not at all. Iv'e done it before."

TOP perked up, " You have?"

" Yep, after rehab I saw a therapist for like a year and a half. There was so emotional damage from the alcoholism and then there were all these reasons why I drank in the first place, like father abandonment issues, yada yada. I had a lot of stuff to work through, like A LOT. There's nothing weird about it at all. You need to take care of yourself babe, point blank. I support you one hundred percent."

TOP smiled as a tear of joy fell from his face.

" I have the most amazing, compassionate girlfriend in the entire world."

" Oh yeah? What's her name?", teased Lyra as they both laughed.

" I love you so much."he said.

" I love you so much.", she replied.

" Thank you.", As he was finishing, he felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around to see Hye Yoon's smiling face.

" Hey jagi, gotta go. Hye Yoon's done with her session, but I'll see you soon."

" Alright then, tell her I said hi."

" I will. bye.", he hung up and draped his arm around Hye Yoon's shoulder as they descended down the hall .