Prelude To A Party

Me and the Boys Volume 3: Closure

SUB-UNIT arrived in L.A at around 7 AM. After checking in to their hotel and grabbing a quick bite to eat, they were was immediately whisked to Staples Center , where they began rehearsals for the concert, which would be happening the next evening. Lyra's mom wanted to meet everyon in person, especially TOP so she drove down that evening to bring them dinner and coffees. It was around 7:30 pm, and after a full day of going over songs, dance routines and costume changes, they were given a dinner break. Lyra got a call from her mother as the time neared. She was sitting on the edge of stage with her feet dangling,  wearing a white fitted tank top and hot pink sweat cutoffs with teal and yellow stars on them.

" Mom!!!!! Are you close? ", she yelped,  still panting from dancing.

" Yeah, baby. I'm turning on Figueroa now, be there in about ten. I picked up some Baby Blues.", said her mom.

" Mom, no way? Dude, I'm so stoked! They have no idea what they are in for. And I can't wait for you to meet TOP!.", Lyra squealed.

Her mother chuckled. " Alright baby, let me go, so I can drive."

" Ok, ok. Bye.", Lyra said quickly and hung up. She looked up to see TOP and GD walking onstage to take a seat on either end of her. She smiled up at them, her face lit up like a Christmas tree.

" What are you so excited about, babo?', asked TOP.

" Dude, you guys are in for a treat. My mom picked up Baby Blues BBQ. Like only, THE best BBQ in L.A!", Lyra said, highly enthused.

TOP smiled weakly. " So is your mom close?", he asked, gulping a bit. Lyra noticed his uneasiness.

" Yea, she'll be about 5 minutes. Are you nervous babe? Don't be, youv'e talked to her already."

" Yeah, but that was skype, this is in person.", TOP sighed.

" Don't worry man, you guys had good conversation you said, right?, assured GD. TOP nodded in agreement.

" Yeah, we did, it's just nerves. I'll be okay."

" Where's Bae?", asked Lyra.

" On the phone with Bom.", said TOP.

" Ok, because I know my mom wants to meet all of you guys.", said Lyra who then heard the clickety - clack of high heels. Lyra jumped off the stage towards the auditorium entrance. " I think that's her!", Lyra yelled, running for the door just as her mother turned the corner. She jumped and gave her a big bear hug,   almost knocking her mom down in the process. Her mother laughed and playfully pushed her off.

" Child, get off me. Don't you see I have all these bags in my hand? Grab one.", she said smiling and turning her attention towards the stage.

" Sorry mom.", said Lyra like a little kid, grabbing one of the large, paper, carry out bags. They made it to the stage and Bae, who had just arrived and GD were wide eyed, staring at Lyra's mother, she was beautiful. Her eyes were bright green and it offset her beautiful caramel skin. She was tall, unlike Lyra who barely made 5 feet four inches. Her mother in contrast, was TOP's height, pushing six- feet. Her thick, wavy dark hair was cropped short into a pixie cut , which framed her face perfectly. It highlighted her enviable cheekbones and rounded yet firm jawline.

" Mom, this is GD or Jiyong, Bae also known as Youngbae or Taeyang and of course TOP! You guys,  this is my mom Gina.", Lyra pointed each of them out.

" Well TOP, I know.", said her mom, stepping up the steps and making her way on stage. TOP held out his hand for a handshake, but she refused.

" Oh no you don't, you are practically family. You are giving me a hug.", she said , wrapping her lean arms around TOP. He awkwardly smiled and returned the gesture.

" So nice to meet you in person finally. I see where Lyra gets her beauty.", said TOP shyly.

" Yes, nice to meet you. You don't look old enough to have children,", said GD smiling boyishly then blushing at his own words. He and YB snickered like little boys and Lyra shook her head.

" Well you are a fine looking group yourself. TOP,  skyping does not do you justice. Lyra raves on about how gorgeous you are and now I see. Were you in the modeling indsustry ever?", Gina asked.

" Kind of, we all model from time to time so Iv'e done some spreads for Elle and Vogue Korea.", TOP said humbly.

" Yep. I'm sure someone saw that bone structure and those eyes and said, we need to put that to use.", said Gina.

" You look like you modeled as well.", said YB.

" I did, when I was young. But I got out of it after deciding I wanted to pursue my writing. I wanted to use my brain a little more.", she smiled.

" So are we all done comparing notes on how hot  everyone thinks the other is? I'm starving.", said Lyra, growing impatient.

" This child. Always in a hurry , especially to eat.", chided Gina. They all laughed as Lyra ripped into the bag and pulled out a boneless pork rib and began gnawing.

" So, Lyra tells me you guys will be here for a week. You have a show tomorrow night, then a day and half to relax before heading to San Francisco?", asked GIna.

" Yes, that right.", said TOP.

" So do you have any plans? Because I'm throwing a BBQ and I'd love to invite you guys. it will be all of our family, lots of food and dancing.", said Gina.

" Oh, of course dancing.", added Lyra.

" Gotta get our dance on.", smiled Gina as she and Lyra cracked up, a sort of mother and daughter inside joke.

" Sounds like fun.", said TOP.

" It will be especially great for you TOP, you get to meet all of Lyra's insane relatives.", said Gina.

" Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to it.", said TOP smiling at Lyra who was smiling back at him.

.......................................

A couple of days later. Lyra and the guys arrived at her mom's house for the party. Because it was L.A ,even though it was fall, the weather was still warm, about 74 degrees and the sun was bright.  Lyra who was driving,  pulled the rented, blue Toyota Yaris into the driveway. The guys gawked at the gorgeous neighborhood and at Lyra's magnificant two story Spanish stucco house, with tile roofing. 

Ok, so this is not how I pictured Inglewood.", admited TOP.

" Me either, this neighborhood looks rich.", added GD, YB agreed.

Lyra laughed. " What'd you expect, ers and crackheads? That's actually downtown Rampart district. This is Ladera Heights, it's a neighborhood, kind of in the Inglewood area and it's dubbed the Black Beverly Hills. I didn't grow up here...trust me. My mom bought this house right when I graduated high school, we used to live in a more rough area. I can take you there if you want the real " hood" experience.", teased Lyra.

" No thanks, this is cool.", said GD. They hopped out of the car and the smell of delicious food hit their faces. They followed the sound of the music that was blaring from the backyard and it grew louder as they made their way to back to see a sea of choclolate faces. YB, TOP and GD looked out across the expanse of the backyard in awe. Everyone was laughing, dancing and telling jokes. Plates of food were being passed around and the smoke from the grills bellowed like clouds in the air. Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up was blasting and Lyra's mom who was dancing to it, spotted Lyra and danced her way towards them. Lyra joined her and danced into their hug.

" You made it! You guys look great. Come in on, don't be shy.", said her mom hugging the guys as well. YB and GD had huge smiles plastered on their faces as they made their way in. YB began to dance and few of Lyra's family members looked on.

" Go on then!", yelled an older balck man.

" Uncle Leroy!", Lyra yelled, recognizing the voice.

" Well I'll be! Is that Lyra? I ain't seen you since you was this big.", said the man, hovering his hand near his hip to exemplify Lyra's childhood height. "Come here girl, give Uncle Leroy some sugar!", he said,  pulling Lyra in for a hug and kiss on the cheek. He was around 52 years old,tall and stocky with a salt and pepper afro. He looked at YB getting  down,  then at GD and TOP.

" And let me guess, friends from Korea? Your mother told me you were out there.", he said extending his hand. GD accepted first.

" I'm GD.", he said in a cute English accent.

" I'm TOP.",he said.

" My boyfriend,", added Lyra.

" Ain't nothing wrong with sampling the international buffet of love. I had me a little Oriental gal' back in Nam. Oooh wee was she fine! But her parents wasn't havin' it. Anyways,he's a good lookin man Lyra, best of luck to you both. And who is little Asian Michael Jackson out there on the dance floor?", Leroy asked, looking back at YB. They all laughed.

" That is Youngbae and he is indeed the Korean Michael Jackson.". said Lyra smiling over at him, as he was in his own world.


" Well,  let me introduce myself to him, then show him a thang' or two on the dancefloor. Nice meetin yall'.", said Leroy, letting out a hearty laugh before walking away.

" Food is ready yall'. Hot links, burgers, cole slaw and more. Help yourself.", said Gina, walking away to entertain more guests.

" This is awesome!", exclaimed GD.

" Your family is funny. Where are your sisters?", asked TOP.

" That's a good question.", said Lyra looking around. Teya was in the far end of the backyad wirth her best friend Donique scoping Lyra and especilally, TOP, GD and YB from afar.

" Donique, you see them Asian boys Lyra rolled up in here with?", asked Teya, chewing on a straw.

" Yeah. They fine, all uh' them, fine! Especially that one dancing. He be movin' like he black. And that body. Mmmn mmn mmmn.", said Donique taking a sip of her lemonade.

" You aint' lyin', but that tall one, I think that's my sister's boyfrined. He the finest.", affirmed Teya.

" I don't know, I'm, digging that little one out there doin' the dougie.", Donique and Teya laughed.

" I think I should go introduce myself, I am her baby sister afterall.", said Teya walking over as Donique followed. She made her way up to them. Lyra, TOP and GD looked up.

" Hey sis.", said Teya.

" Teya! I was looking for you. What up lil' momma!", said Lyra giving her little sister a hug. " Hey guys, this is my baby sister, Teya.", said Lyra to TOP and GD. Teya held out her hand and eyed both GD and TOP seductively.

" Nice to meet you. Yall' finer in person. I spoke to you TOP,  at Christmas. I just love that deep a*s voice uh' yours.", Teya smiled at him. TOP looked away embaressed,  as Lyra rolled her eyes.

" Thank you.", he said Nervously. Teya was beautiful , bearing the same light mocha skin tone as Lyra and sporting long hair as well, but she always wore hers straight. She was wearing a white and pink, fitted jersey Tank top, that was very low cut and extremely short jean cutoffs.

" I'm Donique, her best friend.", Donique inserted herself, putting her hand forward.

" Doniqie, I never met you, but Teya talks about you all the time.", said Lyra. Donique was not as striking as Teya, but she was extremely cute. She had long braids, dimples and was the color of  milk chocolate. She had large doe eyes and curly lashes. She was short and very thin and although she was flat chested her tiny waist and ghetto booty made up for it.

" Wer'e going to grab something to eat, where you guys sitting?", asked Lyra.

" Over there.", pointed Teya, to a table in the back of the yard.

" Ok, wel'l meet you over there.", said Lyra.

" Aight' then. Looking forward to getting to know yall' better.", said Teya, smiling suggestively at both GD and TOP. GD gulped nervously at the fact that the girl was very y, but very young. It reminded him of MInzy and made him uneasy. As they got in the buffet line, YB joined them.

" You are quite the party favorite. My family is impressed by your dancing.", said Lyra.

" Yeah, your uncle Leroy is cool man! Wev'e just been dancing and talking. This party is awesome!", said YB, pumped. Meanwhile GD and TOP were talking.

" I need to get a moment with Lyra's mom. It's now or never. Will you cover me?", asked TOP.

" You gonna do it now? Shouldn't we all eat first?", asked GD.

" I'm too nervous to eat. I need to talk to her now and then maybe I can relax.", said TOP.

" Ok, man. I'll let Bae know.", said GD.

" Tell Lyra, I had to go to the bathroom or something.",said TOP, taking his plate and walking off to find Lyra's mom.