Out of the Bag

Me and the Boys Volume 3: Closure

Agent Hsui sat in his office looking over reports, when one of the assistants burst through his door with breaking news.

" Agent Hsui! I really think you should check this out!", said the assistant handing Agent Hsui a magazine, earleafed to an article. Agent Hsui grabbed it and saw the headline.

Teen Top's CAP, son of deceased criminal Soon Teck?

Under the headline was a photo snapped of Chunji and L.Joe sitting in the cafe, along with the details of their conversation that day. Agent Hsui tossed the magazine on the table flippantly.

"Am I suppossed to buy this? This isn't even a reputable magazine. It's a gossip rag at best. For all we know, this is just another paparazzi low-life looking to make a buck.", said Agent Hsui.

" I understand sir, but it's a lead, I think it's really worth checking out. If that photo really exists of CAP and Soon teck, we may be able to track down CAP and get the answers we need.", said the assistant. Agent Hsui considered the assistant's words for a moment and finally answered.

" Alright. send some officers down to pay Teen Top a visit."

.................................

TOP, along with Lyra and his family arrived at the hospital early one morning before rehearsals. They had seen Hye Yoon once since the doctor called that night and she was definitely trying to speak as well as move her fingertips. Everyone was excited to see what she would do that day. Lyra initially didn't want to go, feeling TOP needed to just be with his family for things as intimate and private as this, however TOP insisted.

" Are you sure? I'm starting to feel like Iv'e been around too much, this is your family's time.", expressed Lyra. TOP grabbed her hand.

" Lyra, you are practically family. My mother loves you to death and appa...he's coming around. Besides, I want you here. I need you here with me.", he said. Lyra smiled.

 " Ok, I just don't want things to get weird.", said Lyra as TOP led her into Hye Yoons room, where the rest of the family was. Mama Choi looked up at Lyra and smiled. Papa Choi said hello to TOP and nodded at Lyra. TOP and Lyra walked over to Hye Yoon's bed and could hear her mumble a few words.

" I...I'm...ah..", Hye yoon trailed off. A few discernable words would come out but then she would start talking jibberish. This was enough to make everyone happy. There was progress and progress was good. The doctor shuffled into the room and gave everyone smiles, he looked somewhat dismayed.Everyone picked up on it immediately.

" Doctor. She's still trying to talk.", said Mama Choi, hopeful still.

" I know, it's great. Everyday she improves. We saw some eye momevent last night. She trying to open them, it's a matter of muscle control, but she will get there.", said the doctor, opening her lids and checking her pupils.

" There is a high probability that she will regain full use of all he limbs, muscle control and hand eye coordination. There is virtually no damage done that would point to any kind of paralysis and that's the good news.", he said.

" Let me guess. There's bad news?", asked Papa Choi.

" Unfortunately yes. Wev'e been monitering her brain activity. The results from that coupled with the CAT scan we performed on her yesterday, suggest that she has a motor speech disorder called dysarthria. Basically the trauma to her head in addition to the swelling, caused a series of lesions to the cerebellum, speciifically the lesions caused the most damage to the somatosensory cortex of the brain, which controls motor function.", he finished.

" So what kind of speech disorder? A stutter or will she not know how to talk anymore?", asked TOP.

" No, quite the contrary. She will know exactly what she wants to say and how she wants to say it, in her head ; however because this condition affects muscle movement of the tongue, she will have an extremely hard time getting words out. Markers of this condition include slurred speech, abnormal timing between words and/or thoughts,irregular stress patterns, misarticulation and breathiness. She is as intelligent and capable as she ever was. To put it plainly, she has what we like to call lazy tongue. That particulr muscle is for all intents and purposes, now weak an undeveloped. And it will likely not ever function the way it used to. But consistent therapy with a speech pathologist will help immensely, so that she can at least function on a day to day basis.", said the doctor.

There was silence in the room, before the doctor spoke again.

" Look, I know this is hard to hear, but in all my years of practicing, this is the best possible outcome for a coma like this one. I hope that offers you some comfort. I'll leave you now.", said the doctor as he gave a slight bow and left the room.