Phonecalls

8th Of May

It was my free day and I was lazing around on my 'bed'. It was 1pm and I had nothing to do the whole day, as usual. My phone rang and I went to pick it up.

"Hello?"I answered.

"Hi,"someone answered.

I couldn't recognise the voice. I look at the screen of my phone. It says Sungmin.

"Sungmin,"I said his name.

"Er, yeah,"he answered.

There was an awkward pause and I was determined not to start talking.

"Erm, I was wondering whether you would want to have dinner with me tonight,"he said.

"Oh,"I simply said without answering his question.

I thought about it. Its just dinner, right?

"Okay,"I replied.

"I'll come fetch you at 6,"he told me.

"Erm, where are we going?"I asked.

"You'll see,"he replied.

I could see him smiling at the other line. He's always such a smiley guy.

"Alright,"I said.

"Erm, bye,"he said.

"Bye,"I replied.

How awkward. If talking on the phone was so awkward between us, what about our dinner tonight? Wouldn't it be filled with awkward pauses?! OH MY GOD! WHAT HAVE I DONE? Should I just cancel? But it ain't right. After all, I just said okay. I got really fustrated and my eyes landed on my phone. I have to call him! The phone rang at the other line.

"Hi, girlfriend!"he answered.

"Shut up, Donghae! I'm not your girlfriend,"I snapped.

"Girlfriend as in my female friend, idiot! What's up? You sound annoyed,"he continued.

"I am,"I told him.

"You want to tell me about it?"he asked.

"I wouldn't call you if I don't wanna talk about it, right?"I told him.

"Quite true. So what annoyed you?"he asked.

"Sungmin,"I answered.

"SUNGMIN? What did he do to annoy you? He doesn't seem like the type who annoys people,"I could see his puzzled face.

"I mean, we're going out for dinner tonight,"I explained.

"Thats great! Whats annoying about that?"he asked.

"When we were talking on the phone, we had a few awkward pauses,"I continued.

"Oh! You think that the situation would be worse than it is when you finally sit down and eat, huh?"Donghae asked.

"Yupp!"I knew he could read my mind.

"Well, there's nothing you can do except talk and break the silence, right?"he asked.

"You know what?"I asked.

"What?"he repeated after me.

"Why don't YOU come along?"I smiled.

"FOR WHAT?!"I didn't expect such a huge reaction.

"You can break the silence since you're so chatty,"I explained.

"NO WAY! This is a date between Sungmin and you. Its a chance after three years. I wouldn't think of coming along and interferring,"he said.

"Donghaeeeeeeeeeeeeee,"I whined.

"No. Its final. I'm not going, Kim Haemin,"my full name came out and I stopped whining.

"But it'll be so awkward! Maybe I should just cancel it,"I told him.

"No! Just go! Sungmin's quite chatty if you know him well enough. Besides you know him for three years already!"Donghae exclaimed.

"Yeah but this is the first time he asked me out,"I protested.

"There's always a first for everything and besides why are you nervous?"he asked.

I paused and thought about it. Its just a dinner between friends. Why am I so nervous, scared and annoyed?

"OH MY GOD! HAEMIN! YOU LIKE HIM!"he shouted down the phone.

"I DO NOT, IDIOT!"I shouted back.

"YOU DO! YOU DO! YOU DO!"he shouted back childishly.

"I do not, Donghae!"I shouted exasperatedly.

"Trust me, Min. You like him. Anyway, its time you started dating again. After all, your relationship between Eunhyuk is over for three years already,"he slowly reassured me, knowing what I was thinking inside.

"Yeah. But, Hae, I still love him,"I said softly.

"I know,"he told me.

"I believe he'll come back,"I continued.

"I know. You've told me a dozen times. But you can't just sit around and wait, not knowing when he'll come back, right? Just start dating and maybe you'll forget all about him,"Donghae said.

"Its hard,"I told him.

"I know, but you gotta try. You really can't just keep waiting. God knows when he'll come back. Maybe he won't even come back!"Donghae said.

"But he said he will,"I told him.

Donghae sighed.

"Stop thinking about Eunhyuk and get on with life,"he said.

I nodded. We chat for about an hour and I hung up. Maybe he's right. But still, it was a five year relationship. Its really hard to just forget someone who've liked since you were 5 and together with for 5 years. I used the computer for about two hours and went to shower. I picked out a black dress and began making up. Once it was 5.58pm, I walked out of my house to wait for Sungmin. It isn't nice to let him wait. But when I opened the door, he was already there. He came out of the car and looked at me.

"You look really beautiful with your new hairstyle,"he smiled.

"Thanks! Why didn't you call me to say you're here already?"I asked as I made my way to my side of the car.

He opened the door and let me in and closed it. He went over to the driver's seat and let himself in.

"Its okay,"he replied with a smile.

He drove and I started wondering where we were going. There was a text message that came in and I read it.

[Good luck! I love you:) -Donghae PS:As a friend:)]

He's such a sweet guy. I smiled to myself. I sat in silence as Sungmin drove.

"Where are we going?"I asked.

"You'll see,"he replied.

End of Chapter
DarkAngel