The weight of a lie

What is love?

That afternoon, right after lunch, Nayeon had to meet with Tzuyu to go to the bar to talk for a while. Their friendship was very good: they chatted everyday, they always saw each other at dance rehearsal and tried to go out at least once a week. They were never bored together and Nayeon had decided to support Tzuyu's decision to meet the person her parents had chosen for her.

Nayeon was ready to go out when Jihyo stopped her 'do you want me to drive you? You said that the bar isn't near'

'Don't worry, I want to walk and then I'll go with Tzuyu at school, I'm organised' she winked 'see you when I finish rehearsal' she kissed her sisters' cheeks and waved to Sana and Jeongyeon before leaving.

 

 

When Nayeon arrived at the bar Tzuyu was smiling at her phone, with her well visible dimple. Nayeon sat down in front of her, amused 'I've never seen you smile like that, what's happening?'

Tzuyu had a dreamy look 'I met the guy yesterday and I think I already like him. He's smart and he's not naughty at all. He is also very nice and kind' she was really happy 'we have to go out this afternoon, he wants to take me to see the theathral show I told you about, I don't know how he got the tickets'

Nayeon was impressed 'you definitely need to marry him and tell him that your best friend loves these things too' she laughed but then took her hand, serious 'I'm joking, but I'm so happy to see you like this, you definitely deserve it'

'I am really happy that you have decided to support my choice, it wouldn't have been the same without you' 

Her best friend smiled 'I'll never leave you alone, what kind of best friend would I be? And I need to know everything, because if he were to misbehave with you, I would tear him apart' 

Tzuyu laughed and they spent two hours talking and eating 'there is my driver, if you want I'll give you a lift home or to the company if you have to work' Tzuyu offered.

'I have something to do in this area, I don't have to go back now, but thank you Yoda' she made a cute voice and laughed 'text me when your date ends, I'm curious!' she closed the car door for Tzuyu and waited for the car to disappear from her view before walking in the opposite direction 'come on Nayeon, you can do it'

 

It took fifteen minutes on foot to get to her father's house and she started to feel nervous 'everything will be fine' Nayeon whispered before ringing the bell.

Mr. Im opened the door and looked at her in disbelief 'Nayeon?'

 

 

 

Jihyo was searching her favorite shirt in Nayeon's room, instead she found her sister's backpack for dance lessons and took it into the living room 'Nayeon forgot it, I can imagine her despair. I'd bring it to her, but I was about to go out, who has time?'

Dahyun was at the door, Sana wasn't there at all and Jeongyeon was standing next to her boss. Jeongyeon watched her best friend and she nodded 'bring it to her, I can go to the company with Jihyo'

They all left the house and, after some minutes, Jeongyeon was out of the dance school, but it seemed closed 'it's strange' she knocked at the glass door.

Momo opened the door and looked at her with surprise 'I never thought I'd see you want to go in and enroll, but school is closed today. Come back tomorrow' she smiled, amused.

Something was wrong and she tried calling Nayeon on her cell phone, but it was off '. Momo, can you give me Tzuyu's number? It's urgent'

'Sure, but if she gets angry I won't take responsibility' she dictated her the number.

'Thank you, sorry for bothering you' she  got back in the car and called Tzuyu 'answer the phone, come on'

A few seconds passed 'who are you? How did you get my number?' she seemed pissed.

'I'm Jeongyeon, quick question: is Nayeon with you?' when Tzuyu said no, she began to worry.

Tzuyu told her that it had already been almost an hour since she and Nayeon had separated due to their commitments 'she said she had something to do in that area, but I don't know what she was talking about'

'Can you send me the name of the bar? Thank you and sorry, I'll delete your number' Jeongyeon closed the call and searched the bar area, sending it to Jihyo, who called her almost immediately. 

'That's the area where we lived with our father, tell me you're playing a joke on me' she was afraid 'tell me she is somewhere else'

'I don't know, if you send me the home address I'll go check' she hardly had time to finish the sentence that Jihyo had already sent it to her. Jeongyeon closed the call and started the car, exceeding the limit speed 'she can't be that stupid, she isn't there' she kept repeating herself throughout the way.

 

 

 

'You cut your hair' Mr. Im said and took a sip of coffee 'I preferred you with long hair, they made you look more like your mother'

Nayeon was tense and she kept moving in her chair 'I know, but I wanted to change a little. Hair grows back'

Her father was watching her intently 'how are my girls? I heard you're working on the same company' there was annoyance in his voice 'I have enough money to support all three and you have the nerve to go to work'

'It's called independence, dad. I came here to talk to you and sort out everything, but you don't seem like you want to have a decent conversation' she stood up 'I'm sorry, but I made a mistake in coming here, hoping for something that can never be. What a fool' she started to leave.

Mr. Im took her arm 'I think you haven't seen today's date, honey. Today is the 23rd, your mother's and my wedding anniversary. It's a tough day for me and you even dared to come here with such short hair' he pulled her hair, causing her to scream and tilt her head back 'you're so rude with your father and deserve a punishment'

'Dad, please' Nayeon was already crying, but her father wasn't interested and punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground, with her hands on her face from the excruciating pain. 

'I am relieved that Jihyo is not here to stop me, I can finally give you what you deserve' he kicked her several times in the back and stomach, leaving her breathless. He hit her again and again, to the point of making her bleed. Then he took of his belt and whipped it 'you ran away just like your mother did, you are worth nothing just like her' 

Nayeon was about to lose consciousness when she heard frantic steps and her tears fell.

Jeongyeon had shoved the door down and what she found was worse than she expected: Nayeon was on the ground, covered in bruises and wounds, and her father was ready to hit on her already swollen and bleeding face with his belt. Her anger was endless, that bastard was slaughtering a defenless person without thinking twice. 

She found Nayeon's smile in her mind and realized how she felt for her. Jeongyeon grabbed Mr. Im's shirt and pushed him to the ground before starting to punch him in the face with all the strength she had, ignoring the pain on the hands.

The time seemed frozen and she continued to hit that brat with all her anger, breaking his nose and making that man's face be full of blood. It was Dahyun who pulled her away from the man 'Jeongyeon calm down, you were about to do something irreparable!' she shook her to get her back to reality 'now here we are, Nayeon will be fine' Dahyun was squeezing her shoulders, but she was shaking. 

 

Meanwhile Jihyo and Sana were carrying Nayeon out of the house, taking care not to hurt her and not to be seen by possible paparazzi in order to avoid a scandal. 

'I'm calling the doctor, I tell him to come home' Sana was calling him, explaining him the situation.

Dahyun came out of the house holding onto Jeongyeon who was still shaking with anger 'Sana, take her to your home, she needs to calm down' 

Sana nodded and held her friend 'let's go home Jeong, she is in good hands now, the doctor will be at their apartment in a moment' they saw Dahyun's car drive away quickly 'she'll be fine, you arrived on time' she helped her into the car and they drove off in the opposite direction from the three sisters.

 

 

 

There were two doctors with Nayeon and they left the room after more than half an hour 'she is safe now, but she needs absolute rest. Plus, her left arm almost broke, so it is necessary to keep it bandaged and still for some time' he gave a list of medicines to Dahyun 'I don't know her allergies, so you choose which one to take, they will help her recover. I also recommend a medical checkup in a few days, just to be sure. Her face is swollen and she has a cut lip, but luckily her nose is fine and she has no trouble breathing'

When the doctors leaved Jihyo leaned on Dahyun's shoulder 'I don't know what I would have done if I lost her' a tear fell 'I don't even know what to say right now'

'Don't talk, I know what you are feeling' Dahyun hugged her 'that bastard won't get away with it, next time we see him we'll be in court. I'll call my lawyer later' she kissed Jihyo's head and closed her eyes 'I'm worried for Jeongyeon too, I've never seen her like that, she seemed mad with anger and if I didn't stop her she would surely kill him' 

Jihyo lifted the hug to tuck Nayeon's blanket 'Sana is with her and I am sure she will be here soon, she didn't want to leave Nayeon. I'm convinced she'll stay here until Nayeon is fully recovered'

 

Jihyo was right, a few hours later Jeongyeon rang the doorbell, her hands bandaged and her eyes red 'I want to see her. Now' 

Sana was behind her 'I tried to stop her, but she's stronger than me and I couldn't. Sorry girls' she seemed tired too. 

Jeongyeon ignored all the words Dahyun and Jihyo were saying to her and went to Nayeon's room. She closed the door and sat down on the bed. Nayeon was sleeping and the relief she felt was immense. She was there, hurt but safe. 

'When you get better I will scream at you for hours, but now I'm so happy to see you sleep. If I had arrived earlier nothing would have happened to you, I'm sorry' she gently pulled off the hair Nayeon had on her face, being careful not to touch her. 

Nayeon moved slowly and opened her eyes 'don't start blaming yourself, all of this happened because of me' her voice was weak and her eyes remained open for only a few seconds 'I'm cold' she was shivering. 

Jeongyeon looked around 'where do you keep the blankets?' 

'I don't know, can you hug me? I can't stand all this cold, I can't wait' Nayeon made room for her and smiled when she heard her friend take off her shoes and lie down. 

'Are your hands okay? Did you medicate them properly?' Nayeon whispered.

Jeongyeon didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that question 'I'm fine, you should worry about yourself and not me'

'I always worry about you, you never pay attention to your body' 

Jeongyeon was happy to know that Nayeon cared about her and was very careful not to hurt her, she didn't seem like a person capable of hitting a strong man 'tell me if I hurt you, okay?' then she hugged her, sighing with relief when the girl in her arms relaxed and fell asleep. There was a lot of time to fight, but at that moment Jeongyeon just wanted to hold the person who stole her heart. 

They slept like that until the next day, held in the hug they both needed.