I am your father

What is love?

At seven in the evening, Dahyun was in the car with Jeongyeon, headed for the restaurant where her father had made an appointment. She was nervous and couldn't stop torturing her hands 'I don't know what to expect, I'm a little scared' admitted softly. 

'Don't expect anything, it's the best thing to do in these cases. If it goes wrong, remember that you never needed him' Jeongyeon tried to reassure her best friend. Silence fell and neither of them said anything until they got out of the restaurant 'I'll be waiting for you outside, keep your phone handy and if you call me I'll be in right away' 

Dahyun raised one eyebrow 'I'm not going to war Jeong, on the contrary take a taxi and go home, I can see you're tired. I can drive when I'm done and, before you can argue, it's an order' Dahyun was ready to get out of the car. 

'I hate it when you put our friendship and your role on the same level' they both got out of the car and gave her the keys 'call me if you need me, okay?' when her boss nodded they parted, going in two different directions. 

 

Dahyun entered the restaurant where her father had asked her to meet. She had never met her father and was more nervous than she had told Jeongyeon, she didn't know what to expect and she was afraid of having expectations. She gave herself an attitude and walked with a sure step. 

'I'm Kim Dahyun, I am here to meet Mr. Im, we have an appointment' she said to a waiter, who accompanied her to a secluded table where Dahyun was surprised to see two girls sitting there: one had bunny teeth and a nervous face, the other had two moles under her right eye and seemed ready to murder someone. That was strange, so Dahyun sat in one of the empty seats and looked at the two girls with curiosity.

'I think you are at the wrong table, this is reserved by Mr. Im' she pointed at the name written on a paper 'it's rude to sit at other people's table'

The girls in front of her looked at the newcomer, the bunny teeth one was curious, the other was even more tense than before Dahyun sat up. 

'Maybe you're at the wrong table, Ceo Kim' the curious one spoke 'we are his daughters, you're nobody here, so you should stand up and carry your big brain out of this ty restaurant and away from that lousy man. Listen to me, you don't want to know him and you better not have any working relationship with that man'

Dahyun was whiter than ever, was her father worse than she thought? Were those girls her sisters? She swallowed and was ready to ask them, but a man sat down next to her, with a big smile. 

'I'm happy to see all my babies together, I dreamed of this day for years' Mr. Im watched the three girls and his gaze lingered on Dahyun 'it was quite a challenge to find you, your mother was smart to put her last name on you, Dahyun. But what counts now is that I can finally have my happy family' he placed his right hand on Nayeon's shoulder and smiled bitterly when the girl stiffened at the touch.

'This girl at my right is Nayeon, the older, and you can notice her resemblance with your mother if you remember her' then he pointed at the other girl 'she is Jihyo, I adopted her when she was four, that's why she is different from all of us. Girls, this is Dahyun, but I'm sure you know her, she is famous' his eyes ardened 'she was stolen from our family by your mother when she was a newborn. She was crazy and decided to take our daughter away, leaving me and Nayeon. I was devastated, but with Nayeon and Jihyo I got through it all and I never stopped looking for you. That's the story, questions?' he looked at all his daughters expectantly. 

There was silence at their table, the three girls were shocked to know they were sisters. Dahyun didn't know what to say, she wasn't used to have a family and she even had two sisters. The only love she knew was Jeongyeon's and Sana's, but the second girl wasn't with her anymore. She gulped and began to pull at her cuticles of the hands, a bad habit she had since Sana left her. 

Nayeon's eyes softened and gave her a small encouraging smile 'that's why I've always felt I was missing something, but I never thought about that' she took Jihyo's hand and smiled again 'she is the only person I love, so please Dahyun, take care of her, she's your sister too' Dahyun noticed how Jihyo relaxed after that, was she afraid to lose her sister because of Dahyun? The younger girl became sad.

'Sweetie, you love me too, right?' Mr. Im said to Nayeon 'I'm your dad, remember?' his tone became intimidating and, seeing how both the girls were tense, Dahyun understood why they were so unhappy to be there with their father. The man became impatient and was ready to slap Nayeon, but Dahyun was faster and spoke to him with the phone ready on Jeongyeon's contact screen. 

'Try to hit her and I swear I'll have my bodyguard beat you up' her sisters were surprised and grateful, because after that their father stopped his arm, knowing very well who she was talking about 'I'm not a relationship genius, but I'm sure these two are afraid of you and this is disgusting, I'm happy to have nothing to do with you, ' after saying that she got up 'I'll take you home, let's go'

The three sisters left in silence, leaving the man alone to swear. In the car Nayeon and Jihyo were sitting in the back seats, without speaking for a bit.

'Thank you, you prevented Nayeon to being beaten again' Jihyo said, caressing her sister's head 'he never touched me, but with her he is a beast because she is like her mother and, when he remembers his wife and sees Nayeon, became violent'

Dahyun's heart was hurting by hearing those words, maybe her childhood wasn't that bad compared to their. When they arrived at their destination Dahyun looked at the girls 'always be careful and stay away from him, okay? You'll be safe, the both of you. Have a good life and I hope you'll be happy'

Nayeon was a bit shocked 'you don't want to know us?'

Dahyun seemed to think about it 'no, I don't want to lose more this year, I'm better alone' she started her car and leaved, with tears in her eyes. She wanted a family so bad, but she didn't want to love and see the people she loved disappear from her life, as has always happened.

Nayeon and Jihyo looked at the driving away car with sad eyes. They were happy to have a little sister, but she didn't seem willing to have any kind of relationship with them and this hurt both of them.

 

When they entered their tiny house Nayeon throw herself on the only bed they had 'do you think she didn't like us?'

'I don't know Nay, but I can't blame her for her behaviour, she just found out to have a terrible father and two sisters she knew absolutely nothing about. I would have fainted in the chair instead of her' Jihyo lay down next to her sister and hugged her 'we will respect her decision and continue to live as we always have'

Nayeon Jihyo's hair 'so like two fugitives, I'm so tired of all of this, that refuses to help us just because we don't want to live with him. What kind of father causes her daughters to always get fired from their jobs? But I'm glad to know that Dahyun is one of those people who made it, she must be a tough one' a smile formed on her lips, she was proud.

Jihyo instead seemed with her head somewhere else and bit her fingernail 'she sure is'

 

 

The next day Nayeon finally set foot in the new dance school where she had enrolled: she had won in a draw that gave away annual passes for some art schools and, since she had had to leave the old school due to lack of money, she immediately took advantage of it.

The rehearsal room she was assigned to was quite large and well lit and there was a girl with long black hair dancing. She was so good that Nayeon was delighted to look at her and she was especially struck by the fact that her bangs were not ruined at all. When the girl stopped she gave her a round of applause 'you are really good, I couldn't take my eyes off you'

The girl smirked 'don't tell me you fell in love with me, I'm not going to get involved in a relationship' she walked over to Nayeon and held out her hand 'I'm Momo, welcome to my family's school' she smiled.

'Nayeon, pleased to meet you. I'm sure I will have a lot to learn from you' she smiled sincerely.

Momo sat down on the floor and drank some water 'show me what you can do'

Nayeon hooked up her cell phone to the speaker and played one of her favorite animated songs and started dancing, not noticing that two other girls had entered during her demonstration.

'She's very good, but I'm afraid she's a first-rate snob, are we sure it's good to add her to our group?' the tallest was speaking in a very low voice, but Nayeon heard her as the music was over.

'Tzuyu, don't say these things, you don't even know her' the blonde girl said reproachfully.

Momo nodded 'Mina is right, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, it's wrong' 

Nayeon completely isolated herself after doing some dance practice with those three and answered Jihyo's phone call 'you finally called me, I thought you forgot about your big sister!' she spoke in a cheerful voice, perfectly hiding the sadness she was feeling. 

Jihyo laughed 'I was taking our resumes to some stores, it took me a while. I hope someone will call us soon, I want to be positive. How is school going anyway? Have you already made friends?' 

Nayeon looked in the direction of the three girls who were chatting 'yeah, I am already friend with all the girls in my group!' that was a lie, she didn't want to sadden Jihyo. 

The small group heard her words and Momo went to sit next to her, putting to the phone 'she is in very good hands, there is nothing to worry about' 

Jihyo let out a little laugh and Nayeon put the speakerphone on 'I'm glad to know, if she becomes unbereable, lock her in the toilet' 

Mina and Tzuyu started laughing as Momo asked her if she was serious about it. Nayeon laughed too, she was happy at that moment. 

 

When the rehearsal ended Nayeon said goodbye to her new friends and headed home, but her head was in the clouds and she was about to cross the road with red light and be hit by a shiny black car. She was so frightened that lost her balance and fell backwards, hurting her hand which cushioned her fall. 

Jeongyeon stuck her head out of the window 'look where you go next time, idiot!' 

Dahyun immediately ran out of the car and helped Nayeon up 'are you okay?' she was worried, but she stopped worrying when her sister smiled

'My wrist just hurt a little, but nothing happened' 

Jeongyeon was at Dahyun's side 'do you know this idiot who can't cross the street?' 

'Jeong, this is Nayeon, one of my sisters'