Back home

Way Back Home

It felt like a dream. Baekhyun sitting in the car next to him and the wind caressing his beautiful hair. It was all too gorgeous, almost surreal.

Chanyeol was ready to propose Baekhyun. He decided that tomorrow would be 'The day'. He had everything planned. Baekhyun's favorite food, table for two booked by the beach, fine quality champagne, and bright yellow sunflowers everywhere around them. Everything would be perfect.

"Can you stop the car here." Baekhyun suddenly spoke up, breaking Chanyeol's chain of thoughts.

"Sure," Chanyeol muttered softly and parked the car on a side of the long empty road. They both left the car and Baekhyun started walking into some random direction.

"Hey, where are we going?" Chanyeol asked out of blue.

Baekhyun, who was a few steps ahead of him, walked back to Chanyeol, held his bigger hand in his own smaller one, intertwining their fingers and looked back at Chanyeol's crimson-turning-face and started leading the way. Chanyeol, on the other hand, too surprised to say anything, followed silently.

There was no proper charcoal road beneath their feet, rather just uneven mud, slightly moist, so it wasn't very dusty to walk into the area.

After walking for a while, Chanyeol saw small, wild sunflowers here and there on the muddy path. Baekhyun kept walking, occasionally stopping, then taking random rights and lefts. 

The sun was now starting to set, and they were wondering somewhere in the middle of muddy fields with no houses or people. 

The sky was slowly turning orange and Chanyeol was becoming impatient. Suddenly, Baekhyun jumped slightly, landing behind Chanyeol and covered both of his eyes with his moist-sweaty palms, slightly tip toeing to meet younger's height.

"Hey!" Chanyeol said loudly.

"Just keep walking straight!" Baekhyun replied with eagerness.

"But-" 

"Yeol, listen to me! No more questions, keep walking straight!"

"Fine." Chanyeol said, surrendering to Baekhyun's demands. (like always lmao)

After walking a few more steps, Chanyeol felt something touching his knees. Something soft and short.

"Hey there's something close to my knees!"

"Just keep walking!" Baekhyun said impatiently.

Chanyeol started walking again, more cautiously than before, and he could feel a lot of small, soft things around his knees. After walking for a while, Baekhyun finally stopped and removed his own hands from Chanyeol's eyes.

Chanyeol felt light piercing his eyes. He took a moment to adjust to the extreme yellow around him and when finally he was able to register, he realized he was standing in the middle of a vast expanse of sunflowers. He turned his head from left to right, vision reaching miles of land covered in nothing but the bright yellow of sunflowers, shining, almost golden standing proud under the gorgeous setting sun.

Chanyeol was too awestruck to say anything. The scenery in front of him was beyond imagination. The sunflowers close to his knees seemed yellow and the ones far away were seemingly golden. And the gold colour stretching in all directions, blending into the beautiful orange of the melting sun. It was all too breath catching.

When he finally turned back to look at Baekhyun, he was thunderstruck seeing Baekhyun kneeling in front of him, with the prettiest sunflower in his hand.

"Will you be my boyfriend?" Baekhyun said, looking at Chanyeol with the softest face and hopeful eyes and Chanyeol forgot how to speak. The boy forgot about his own existence. Nothing else mattered in that moment. Except that moment itself. 

Finally after a long pause, two deep breaths and a tear-stained face with rosy cheeks, Chanyeol nodded his head in the hardest possible manner. 

He leaned down, almost snatching the sunflower from Baekhyun's hand while pulling the boy up from his collar and smashed his own lips against the elder's who responded quickly.

Baekhyun smiled into the kiss and Chanyeol cried.

Chanyeol's favorite food and a bottle of champagne ended up quietly waiting on the side table while the over-enthusiastic couple made up like there was no tomorrow.


And just like that, everything felt perfect.

Finally, both of them completed their journey to home, leading to each other, they were both finally home.