For me, you're the brightest light

Way Back Home

To me,
he was the brightest star ever.


The next day Baekhyun woke up to Kai's loud cries and howls. His lashes fluttered open and the pain started making its presence felt in Baekhyun's body.

Kai and Baekhyun, both were stark under the sheets which were painted crimson in Baekhyun's blood. Baekhyun tried getting up slowly but his arms failed him and he fell back into the sheets, his face landing in the same pillow he cried into last night while Kai ed into him.

Kai, sitting next to him, immediately turned around on hearing the sound and started helping Baekhyun up while crying his eyes out.

"I- I- am- I- uh, " and he broke into a flood of fresh, hot tears. He was sniffing continuously, breathing irregularly because of excessive crying.

Baekhyun kept his hands on Kai's face, cupping his cheeks and started wiping off his tears. "Kai, help me." And that one statement made Kai strong enough to wipe away his own tears and stop his crying to be able to answer back, "Anything, just say it."

Baekhyun's body was hurting in all places. Help was his urgent need at the moment. "M-my back an-and thi- inner thighs. It's hurting." Kai immediately stood up and ran around the house to collect first aid.

Soon after Baekhyun was lying on his stomach on the bed, both hands placed on the pillow under his head and Kai, sitting on the floor next to the bed, was bandaging the fresh cuts and red-blue bruises. Silent tears fell down Kai's cheeks every time he slowly moved his fingers over the irregularities of the cuts on Baekhyun's creamy white skin while cleaning them. And Baekhyun was whimpering almost continuously.

Kai trailed his eyes from Baekhyun's back to his hips and then slowly to the inner thighs. Guilt was engulfing the best of him when he saw dried blood on Baekhyun's inner thighs which simply meant he was entered animalistic-ally without preparation. And in that moment all Kai wanted to do was kill himself. And the feeling was more intense than he'd ever felt. He ended up hurting the person he loved the most in the entire world.

Baekhyun sniffed when Kai started cleaning the area of his inner thighs. His fingers moving at a very slow pace and in a very delicate manner, just to clean without imparting a single drop of pain. But Baekhyun was too hurt to stop whimpering. Rather badly hurt and injured and broken and shattered, both emotionally and physically. However, the emotional hurt seemed overweighing.

What happened last night reminded him of the worst memories of his life. Memories he had buried deep inside him so no one else could ever know that they even existed in the first place. Memories he never wanted to be reminded of ever again. Memories that keep haunting him at dark nights. Memories that make up for his worst nightmares.

"Baekhyun," Kai muttered while putting the medicine on the wounds.

"Yes?" Baekyun's voice was way stronger than the pain his body was feeling.

"I'm, I- am s-sorry. I never meant to-" Kai tried.

"Kai? Do you even remember anything that happened last night?" His voice still strong and hard, failing to present any weakness.

"N-no, " Kai whispered back.

"Then? What are you even sorry for?"

"But- but I- I did you wrong and- and you're h-hurt, " Kai's voice was broken by the sobs that escaped his lips unintentionally.

"It wasn't you who hurt me."

"But, but it was still me."

"It wasn't you. It was the demons that live inside you."

"I'm- I'm sorry Baek, you told me not to drink and yet I got over-involved in their words and-"

"It's okay. Just promise me Kai that you will stop hating yourself from now on. Will you?"

Kai looked at Baekhyun hesitantly.

"I- I don't know what to do anymore Baek. I keep hurting the ones I love the most."

"And that is because you don't love yourself Kai. You keep blaming yourself over and over again for every single thing that goes wrong. And you have to stop doing this. You are only human, Kai. You cannot be flawless, no one is and no one ever will be."

Baekhyun took one of Kai's hands in his own and said something that Kai could never forget, "I know you love me, Kai, " and he left a soft kiss on his knuckles. "I know I am more than a friend to you. And I also know that you'd fight anyone who'd go against me or try to harm me, " Baekhyun's thumb kept rubbing circles on the back of Kai's hand while his words were sinking in the depth of Kai's conscience. "But the only person I want you to fight for me is the side of you who thinks that you aren't good enough. The side that wants you to drown into darkness and never see light again. But for me, you're the brightest light. I want you to shine brighter than the sun for me. Can you do this much for me, Kai?" Tears kept making their way down Kai's cheeks but he felt stronger than ever in this moment. He nodded after swallowing the lump in his throat.

And that was the last time Kai's split personality disorder showed up.