the last sunflower

Way Back Home











 


**flashback**

 

 

Another annoying morning and Baekhyun, like usual, woke up to the sound of the door bell, followed by his mom's voice from another room, "Baeky baby, collect the milk."

Baekhyun slowly, got out of bed, fixed his hair (or messed them even more) and walked to the door while rubbing his eyes and yawning, and opened the door only to be greeted by a bright beaming smile of a young lady at his door.

"Good morning Baekhyunie!" Meera, the 14 year old Indian migrate answered cheerfully.

Her long black hair were tied messily in a bun above her head with a few strands falling delicately to her cheeks. Her pretty rabbit like teeth peeked out of her wide smile, sparkling against her brown skin tone. And of course, the fresh sunflower standing out with pride on the side of her bun.

"Morning Meera. How're you always so bright?" Baekhyun asked while rubbing the sleep off his eyes. She handed the basket of milk to him and plucked out the pretty flower from her hair and handed it to him.

"How could one be grumpy if their mornings are blessed by meeting such gorgeous people?" She said with a wink.

The 16 year old Baekhyun blushed at the comment but before he could say anything in return, she was already skipping down the stairs. Baekhyun just smiled, nodded to himself and walked back inside the room.

He placed the flower in the small vase kept on the corner of his study table and went to the kitchen to keep the milk basket.

For the past few days, Baekhyun was dreading school more than ever, because of a certain admirer who was getting obsessive over him. Jun Eun.

The problem was that Eun was no ordinary 17 year old, but the head boy of the school. Not only the head boy, but the-head-boy-that-everyone-flattered.

Everyone, except Baekhyun, of course. Baekhyun never looked at a boy in a romantic sense. He was always attracted to women, historically speaking.

So when Eun tried cornering Baekhyun in the alley ways and started helping him getting the books from the top shelf of the library, Baekhyun's brain set the fire alarms off.
















 

Baekhyun could feel every muscle from his lower back to the tip of his index finger flexing, while the small boy tried reaching out for the colorful book kept on the top shelf of the second last stack in his school library.

He was on his tippy toes with his chest pressed against the shelf as he tried extending his arm even more, ever so slightly, only to be unable to clasp the book in his hands. A slight pout formed on his small lips while he cursed his small figure for not being helpful in such a distressful condition.

He decided to try one last time, and as he extended his already tired arm once again, he felt something stiff and sturdy press against his back as his eyes immediately bounced out of the sockets, he saw an arm grabbing the pretty book, with ease, and then moving back, ever so slightly, only to offer the book to Baekhyun with a small smirk.

Baekhyun gulped, in that moment, he knew he was ed.











 

"Ugh Minnie, I don't even know what to do anymore!" Baekhyun whined to Minseok, his gay best friend.

"Jeez, stop shouting Baekhyun! Who'd believe you're not gay with that amount of pitch in your voice?" Minseok replied sharply.

"Stop with your stereotypes already! I've never felt anything for a male. And I've told this to him a million times already, but he just won't give up!"

"Then ignore it. Let him be." Minseok said while removing the chapped pink nail paint from his fingers so he could apply a fresh bright orange coat instead.

"It's not like I haven't tried! He just won't stop disturbing me. And then he's so much taller and broader, he corners me every time he finds me alone, and I can't even-"

"Isn't it cute?" Minseok interrupted.

"What's cute?" Baekhyun asked, obviously confused.

"Being taken care of?" Minseok said as if it was obvious.

"T-taken c-care?" Baekhyun stuttered.

"Yeah, like the other day he was waiting outside for you with an umbrella since it was raining. Or how he's always be there to get you books from top shelves, isn't it cute? Don't you feel special?"

"Uh, no. I- uh- I never really looked at it that way." Baekhyun replied softly.

"I mean, I would be so happy to have someone like that around me all the time." Minseok said with a small smile.

Baekhyun just looked at him as if he was suddenly enlightened. He kept quiet on the outside, but a war had surged on the inside. Minseok left after an hour or so but his words wouldn't leave Baekhyun's mind.

Baekhyun thought deeply of it and realized that probably, love had nothing to do with gender.

Next day at school, Baekhyun was partnered up with Eun as his English project partner. This time it really felt like fate was arranging things this way. What else could it be?

So when Eun asked Baekhyun to come over to his place for making the project, Baekhyun said yes in a heartbeat. He wanted to know if he really felt anything for Eun at all, or not.

While they were on their way to Eun's house, they boarded a bus which had only one vacant seat. So he kindly offered it to Baekhyun, who refused to take it. Finally, Eun took the seat and grabbed Baekhyun's wrist, pulling the smaller boy on his lap.

Baekhyun felt a mild blush creeping on his cheeks, while he tried really hard not to overthink the arms curled around his waist and a significant hardness developing under his .

They both lost track of time while doing the project, so when Baekhyun finally looked at his watch, he was shook. It was way beyond what he expected. It was already dark outside, maybe if he hurried, he could get the last bus to his place.

Quickly gathering his things and throwing his stuff into his bag, Baekhyun stood up and bid his goodbyes to Eun, who wouldn't let him go on his own. So after promising to call as soon as he reached home, Baekhyun finally left and rushed out of the block of apartments, heading towards the bus stand.

After walking down a couple dark alleys, Baekhyun felt like he was being followed. The boy started speed walking in fear, only to hear louder footsteps running behind him. Now that he was sure someone was following him, Baekhyun could feel his heart beating like a drum against his rib cage, threatening to pop out any moment.

Baekhyun started running away, cursing his small feet, and tripped over a pile of stones on the floor, falling to the ground with his face first.

Baekhyun tried moving but his ankle twisted because of the fall, and the boy fell over again while trying to stand up. A hulky guy, almost around his age or maybe a couple years older jumped in front of him with a big smirk, got hold of his arms and started dragging the boy towards the dark alley, a little distant from the main road.

Baekhyun tried screaming and wiggling out of the hold of this person, but his smaller frame wasn't much of use. The stranger threw Baekhyun on the floor harshly and straddled Baekhyun's waist to prevent the boy from moving and grabbed both his hands, tying them above his head, laughing while doing so, then tied his mouth with a handkerchief to prevent him from screaming.

Baekhyun could feel hot tears burning in the corners of his eyes, almost spilling out as he saw the person in front of him stripping out of his shirt. Baekhyun could feel fear as if breathing became uneven. He tried his best to get rid of the person's hold, but then Baekhyun felt a hard slap on his as the man pulled down Baekhyun's pants along with his boxers.

The man turned around and tied Baekhyun's feet together, which were the only untied body part now. Then he stood up to strip out of his pants. Baekhyun was now crying heavily, muffled moans escaping his lips as the cloth around his mouth restricted his voice.

The man was now completely in front of him. He straddled Baekhyun's waist again, his hard pressing against Baekhyun as he tore Baekhyun's shirt aggressively, revealing his heaving chest. He got off Baekhyun and placed his hands on Baekhyun's waist, swiftly turning him around, on his stomach and pulling his up while utterly degrading slurs at Baekhyun.

"Such a filthy , gonna take all of my now." He said as he slapped Baekhyun's repeatedly until the color changed to scarlet. Baekhyun whimpered in pain and disgust. The person spit on Baekhyun's , ready to intrude the boy's intimacy but before he could, a hand grabbed the back of his collar, pulling him roughly, separating his body from Baekhyun's.

Baekhyun hurriedly turned around, but his vision being blurry from tears, he couldn't see who exactly came to his rescue. He harshly tugged at the cloth tieing his hands together and ripped it open. Then with his free hands, he removed the cloth from his mouth and bent down to free his legs.

He hurriedly pulled his pants up and rubbed the tears away from his eyes only to find someone beating the man who tried molesting him. Baekhyun's ankle was killing him but he slowly stepped closer with shaky feet, only to realize that was no one else, but Eun.

Baekhyun's heart filled with uncontrollable joy and warmth.

"Eun." But Eun didn't pay attention.

"Leave him. Please." Baekhyun continued as he fell to the floor.

Eun left the person who immediately ran away and then walked quickly to Baekhyun who was shivering on the floor, unable to stand on his feet due to his aching ankle and shocked state of mind.

Eun immediately wrapped his hands around Baekhyun's torso, shrouding the boy in a bone cracking hug, which at the moment was a bliss to Baekhyun. Baekhyun immediately wrapped his shaking arms around Eun's neck and dug his face in the crook of Eun's neck as he spoke up, "p-please, Eun, please, take me out- outta here, p-please, I-I-"

"Sushh!" Eun shushed the smaller boy as he immediately hugged him tighter and then lifted him up in his arms, and started walking to his apartment. Baekhyun kept his head buried in Eun's chest for the entire walk as his heart raced inside his chest. God knows what would have happened if Eun didn't save him at the right time.

Once they reached Eun's apartment, Eun gently laid the boy on the bed who sat up looking back at Eun. "I wanna shower." Baekhyun said in a small voice, hands crossed on his chest, rubbing against the skin of his upper arms. "Yeah, sure go ahead, I'll bring you fresh clothes." Eun replied.

Baekhyun slowly got up and went inside the bathroom, locking it from behind, and took a quick hot shower, rinsing away all the mud and sweat along with filthy feeling of being touched unwanted. He washed the spit off his , feeling utter disgust and yet happiness that things didn't get any worse.

Eun placed the clothes on the bed and left the room. Baekhyun walked back in a towel, as if grabbed Eun's shirt and PJ bottoms. But apparently, the shirt was too long and the bottoms were too big, so Baekhyun wore the shirt only, seeing that it served the purpose and shyly opened the door, letting Eun in.

Eun walked in speaking while he was looking at his watch, "I called your mom and told her that you tripped and strained your ankle, so you won't be able to-" but couldn't complete the sentence when he saw Baekhyun dressed like that.

He gulped visibly, and Baekhyun felt his cheeks heating up as he uttered, "Thanks a lot for letting me stay."

"I - its no problem." Eun replied.

Baekhyun smiled his tender smile and said, "I don't know what would've happened if you didn't come at that time." Then Baekhyun extended his hand, holding Eun's gently and entangling their fingers, "I can never thank you enough."

"It- it's okay, I did what I should have." Eun uttered. "Baekhyun, we- umm, there's something I need to- uh- t-tell you, I- I think-" but before he could complete his sentence, Baekhyun hugged Eun, face pressed against the taller boy's chest and hands firmly circled around his waist.

Eun gulped again, hugging the smaller boy tightly, almost as if he couldn't speak anything anymore. He smelled Baekhyun's hair and spoke, "I like the way your hair smells."

"And I like you Eun." Baekhyun replied softly, cheeks turning the color of a freshly cut watermelon.

Eun blushed a deep shade of red, as he kept his hand on Baekhyun's chin and made the boy look up at him. Eun kissed Baekhyun's lips, soft at first and then slowly growing more passionate as Baekhyun kissed him back.

The moment slowly fired up as Eun lifted up Baekhyun, and the smaller wrapped his legs around Eun's torso, as Eun started hickeys on Baekhyun's fresh white skin.

Baekhyun moaned lightly as he felt himself being laid on the bed and the two made out until Baekhyun woke up the next morning , sticky and with a worn out.

That night Baekhyun lost his ity to a guy.






 

Baekhyun found himself smiling in the window seat of the bus, while he was returning home still quite early in the morning.

As he walked the footsteps, a hand placed on his shoulder startled him. He turned around and found Meera flashing her bright smile at Baekhyun.

"Oh! Hi Meera. How're you doing?" Baekhyun asked cheerfully.

"Someone looks happy today?" Meera questioned enthusiastically.

"Umm yeah, I had a good day yesterday."

"Well I can see that!" Meera replied as they both started walking the stairs together.

"Baek I wanted- um- to tell you something." Meera said while passing her fingers delicately from her hair and pulling out the pretty yellow flower from them. "Yeah go ahead." Baekhyun encouraged with a soft smile.

"Baekhyun, I- uh- I really like you. It's been a year now and really wanted to tell you about this. I'm, do you, maybe? um, like me- me too?" She said as she offered the flower to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun felt a sharp pain in his chest as his smile withered away as he looked at the flower between his own fingers now. He did like Meera, but couldn't tell her because he was now with Eun. He liked Eun a lot now, but that didn't mean he never liked Meera. He kept looking forward to talking to her about this but after all this happened, he didn't think about Meera at all.

"I- I am with someone else at the moment." Baekhyun replied in a broken voice as it hurt his chest a little.

"Oh, that's completely okay. Thank you for hearing me out. Of course, you're with someone else, how silly of me to not think about it beforehand!" Meera said, trying to sound cheerful, but the way her smile faltered and her voice cracked, Baekhyun was more than smart to know that she was pretending.

"I- uh- I'll go now." Meera said as she handed the milk basket to Baekhyun. Baekhyun stayed quiet as he watched Meera run down the stairs. He sighed and the went inside his house screaming "Mom, I'm home!" While looking at the last sunflower he ever got from Meera.







 

The same day when Baekhyun's phone dinged, the boy quickly reached out for it and a smile spread beautifully on his face as he saw the message.

Eun🖤
You left?

Baekhyun typed away a reply as he smiled to himself and decided to pay a surprise visit at Eun's place. He could return the boy's clothes and maybe they could go out for an ice cream date.

It would be Baekhyun's first time going out to visit his boyfriend and possibly their first date together, so obviously, Baekhyun was more than excited.

He grabbed his shoes and walked his way to the bus stand happily.












 

Baekhyun skipped up his way on the stairs to Eun's flat. He was a little nervous now. What if Eun wasn't home? What if he disturbed him? But Baekhyun's thoughts came to a halt when he heard Eun's voice. It sounded like he was talking to someone.

Baekhyun slowly walked closer to the door, almost about knock but stopped when he heard "Just give me the extra money, you broke my arm!" The voice sounded awfully familiar. Baekhyun could feel goosebumps raising on his spinal cord as cold sweat started breaking from his forehead.

The voice sounded like the person who tried molesting him. He could recognise that voice from miles away.

"You stripped the boy stark on the road, Beom. I only asked you to pretend to molest him, not actually him in the middle of the streets." Eun said, raising his voice at the other.

Baekhyun broke down on the floor itself. He couldn't stand anymore after he heard that. All of that was planned. And Baekhyun thought Eun genuinely cared about him. No doubts why he appeared out of no where at the exact time.

"Come on, you didn't really let me him, and it's not like you didn't have fun. You won the bet after all. You got him in bed. And you didn't even tell me he was that pretty. Anyone would've lost control! Now give me my money." Beom replied.

"It's not about the bet anymore." Eun said in a softer voice.

Baekhyun felt tears rushing down his cheeks. It was all for a bet. For a stupid damn bet, to get him in bed.

"Don't tell me you've caught feelings for him?" Beom asked like he couldn't believe his own words.

"Maybe. But he should never get to know about this. At any cost. Here, take your money and leave quickly." Eun replied. Beom looked at him disappointedly and replied,

"Man I thought once you were done with him, I could get my hands on that boy."

"You're not touching him. He's mine now." Eun replied.

Baekhyun sniffled and suddenly the two quietened. "Who's there?" Eun shouted as he walked closer to the door and Baekhyun immediately ran down, running out of the building straight to Minseok's house.

Never in his wildest dreams did he think that Eun would do this to him.




























 

"It's all my fault Baek." Minseok cried as he held a crying Baekhyun against his chest.

"Please stop crying baby." Minseok said through tears as he patted Baekhyun's back.

"It's not your fault Minnie, he's a bad guy, I just trusted him without thinking." And Baekhyun burst into another flood of tears.

Minseok couldn't watch his best friend breaking down in front of him so he grabbed Baekhyun's phone and did the only thing that seemed right to him,

"Hello you . You dare did all this to my friend? Wait till I chop you filthy off and shove it up your ! We are going to complain this to the police and get you ing arrested for all this! You just ing wait and watch."