Pineapples

Way Back Home

"What happened Chanyeol? You sound.. uneasy?" Kai said with a doubtful voice.

"N- nothing, nothing at all." Chanyeol said lowly and then said in a louder voice, "Why'd you call?" in a more cheerful voice.

"I- I forgot." Kai's voice remaining dubious.

Chanyeol wanted to punch Kai square in the face on hearing that answer. He sighed unintentionally and said "Great!" through gritted teeth.

"What happen Chanyeol? Did I disturb something important?" Kai asked tauntingly as his brain kept pooping ideas of what he might have interrupted. Chanyeol stiffened at that question and looked at Baekhyun who in response stood up and decided to do the utensils. Of course, it was the right time to clean the dishes. After all Baekhyun would do anything to avoid helping Chanyeol in this situation.

"Chanyeol?" Kai asked. "Uh- Yeah, Kai you should talk to Baekhyun." Chanyeol said before quickly handing the phone to Baekhyun whose eyes widened on hearing that. Baekhyun started shaking his head wildly and then darted a look to his wet hands holding dirty dishes. Chanyeol grinned at that before putting the phone on speaker. Baekhyun glared at the younger who was smiling like kid who just successfully played a prank.

"Guys? Anyone there?" Kai's voice echoed in the room. "H-hey, Kai!" Baekhyun said, pretending to be amused. "What's up with you guys? You both sound weird. Feels like I disturbed a make out session." Kai said with a chuckle.

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol were now looking at each other with eyes popping out and jaws dropped. On hearing the silence, Kai continued, "Don't tell me, did I really dis-" "The hell are you saying Kai?!" Baekhyun screamed into the phone. "Oh- sorry! You just got me suspicious!" Kai said in defense. "I'm doing the dishes Kai, talk to Chanyeol." Baekhyun said before turning on the tap maximum so that Kai could hear the water dripping sound.

Chanyeol was pretty relaxed now so he sighed before saying, "Yup Kai?" "Right, I remember now, I called to ask you about the things that Kyungsoo likes! Tell me everything!" Kai said, voice full of energy.

However the phone still being on speaker wasn't helping much. Baekhyun felt his energy getting drained. He glanced at Chanyeol who looked uncomfortable from the topic, and then quietly returned to doing the dishes. "Why'd you wanna know?" Chanyeol asked, voice dry. "Oh I never told you? I and Kyungsoo are working together on a business. So it's important I know about his likings and dis-likings. I don't know why but it feels like he's always angry with me." Kai said the last part in a soft, low voice. "Oh." Chanyeol replied.

"Come on, tell me everything he likes." "Okay, so.. yeah, Soo is sort of workaholic. He loves his work." The way Chanyeol called Kyungsoo 'Soo', it sounded too natural and too well practised. And the very name was enough for Baekhyun to feel his chest tightening.

"Yeah that much I could conclude from the very first 10 seconds I spent in his office, tell me things things that are less obvious." Kai spoke from the other side.

"Okay, so, he hates nothing more than procrastination."

"No wonder he glared at me when I told him I haven't done the financial sheet yet, haha." Kai replied with a laugh. Chanyeol could feel his nerves easing with how casual Kai was about the whole Kyungsoo thing. Maybe it really isn't that big of a deal, Chanyeol thought.

"He's like that. If he told you to complete it by tomorrow, you better be ready with it today." Chanyeol replied jokingly.

"Okay, and what if I can't?"

"Be straight forward about it. He hates diplomacy just like he hates lies." Chanyeol said. "You sound like you're talking from experience?" Kai questioned playfully. "Of course, I've known him forever." Chanyeol said like it was the most obvious thing.

Baekhyun was no longer focussed on the dishes. More like he couldn't distract himself anymore using the dishes. He was focussed on Chanyeol's face, his words, his expressions and the littlest emotions he would display while talking about Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun was burning inside, to say the least, from how much Chanyeol knew about Kyungsoo. The way Chanyeol was narrating Kyungsoo's likings, it felt as if he has noticed every little thing about the latter.

Does he know this much about me? Baekhyun's mind asked but he had no answer to it.

"Does he like flowers?" Kai asked.

"Not really. But he likes food. And soju is his weakness, also pineapple ice cream, even though he's not a fan of sweets but he likes pineapples in sweets."

"Thank Chan, that's going to be very helpful for me. I'll call you if I need help anywhere."

"Anytime Kai."

And with that, the call ended. Baekhyun immediately focussed back on the dishes only to see that none were left. He washed his hands and started leaving but Chanyeol stopped him.

"I- uh- I think, about what happened before the call, I wanted to tell you that I- uh- about you-"

"It's alright Chanyeol, forget about it." Baekhyun said without letting Chanyeol complete and left to his room.

Chanyeol blinked and mumbled, "But I wasn't apologizing." It was right, Chanyeol wasn't going to apologise, he was going to confess. He gulped as a thought crossed his mind, 'Am I the only one who feels this way? Don't you feel anything Baek?'

Chanyeol picked up his coat and left the house, he needed some time to think things over. While Baekhyun laid in his bed with the door locked as silent tears ran from his eyes, marking his cheeks and got soaked into the pillow under his head.

Does he still love him?

Baekhyun sat up, wiping his cheeks harshly and grabbed the sheets on the bed between his fingers and mumbled, "Have I really developed feelings for him?"