The field of sunflowers

Way Back Home

Leaves and petals were flying with the wind,
And so were his hair strands.
And my heart couldn't decide,
Which one was more worth staring at.

 

Away from the city
And away from the cars,
He stole my heart,
In the midst of sunflowers.

 

-Candy(me)

 

 


 


_________________
 

 

 

 

Chanyeol forgot to blink as he was busy looking at the small figure in front of him who was bandaging his bleeding hand.

Junmyeon kept staring at the two and said out of blue,

"Are you two a couple?"

Chanyeol's eyes widened but he waited for Baekhyun to answer who was like frozen in time and space.

"No, we are not."

Baekhyun said slowly.

Junmyeon hummed and said,

"Chanyeol, I feel like I've seen you somewhere. I just can't remember where."

"Not possible. It's my first time here."

Chanyeol replied.

Junmyeon hummed again and said,

"Baekhyun, that was really impressive. The way you tackled her without any medicine. I mean, I was stunned."

Baekhyun smiled and said, "Thanks."

"Baekhyun, if you don't mind, I would like to get your advice on a few critical cases here."

Junmyeon said.

"Yeah sure. But actually, I am here to attend a wedding on Wednesday. So I can only attend you after Wednesday."

"That's fine with me. What about evening snacks on Thursday at my place?"

"Works for me but won't your family mind? I might get a few people with me."

"No no. I live here with a younger brother. Get all your family. We don't mind. It's been a while since I met new people. Even my brother is an introvert, so I hardly get any interaction these days."

Baekhyun smiled his goofy smile and said, "Then probably, I'll get them all."

"Great!" Junmyeon giggled and Baekhyun stood up since the bandaging was done and stretched his hand for Chanyeol to stand up.

He held Chanyeol's hand in his own and walked out of the office while saying, "Thanks Junmyeon for the first aid and everything."

"Hey wait, take my card. My number is in there. Call me for the address."
Junmyeon ran to Baekhyun and handed him the card.

"Right!"

Baekhyun said while slapping his head and turned to Chanyeol,

"I am becoming like you, Yeol! Forgetful, that is!"

And Baekhyun started laughing at his own joke while Chanyeol's heart was beating at the rate of 1000 miles/second, because not only were Baekhyun's fingers interlaced with Chanyeol's but also because of Baekhyun's sweet laugh which sounded like a sweet melody to Chanyeol's ears.

They left the hospital with Namjoon in the van and went home.

_______________

Jin was showing the beautiful suits to Sehun and Kai. One of them was white with baby blue blazer and pants and the other one was a royal shade of blue. Both of them were beautiful indeed.

Namjoon entered the house with Baekhyun and Chanyeol and immediately walked to Jin and back hugged the older while whispering in his ear,

"I missed you."

Jin smiled to himself and kissed Joon on the cheek and left for the kitchen to get everybody some warm tea or coffee.

Namjoon went with him to help (more like for distracting the other) while Sehun and Kai were busy fighting over the colour of flowers they should order for the decorations.

"White lilies."

Said Sehun

"No orchids."

Kai retorted.

"Guys, anybody up for a movie?"

Baekhyun asked gaining attention from everyone.

"Me," said Kai and Sehun in unison, "Yes, " said Namjoon and Jin together while Chanyeol looked confused but when Baekhyun turned to him with a pouty face, he agreed.

Who can fight Baekhyun's cute faces? No one, of course!

_____________________

It was past midnight and the third movie was rolling on the screen. Everybody had fallen asleep in the living room itself, except Baekhyun who was still wide awake and Namjoon who was munching some chili popcorn. Chanyeol was asleep in Baekhyun's lap, Sehun on Baekhyun's shoulder and Kai went to the bedroom when the second movie ended.

Namjoon's lap was occupied by Jin who was sleeping like a big cuddly bear. Namjoon's hands were softly his baby's hair when a thought struck him and he said,

"Baekhyun, I saw you today bandaging Chanyeol's hand."

Baekhyun hummed, fully focused on the evil witch inside the screen who was trying to cast some black magic on the white angel.

"Are you guys, like, together?"

The popcorn in Baekhyun's system choked him. He immediately coughed loudly, spitting out some of the half-chewed popcorn.

Namjoon handed him a glass of water and he quickly removed Sehun from his shoulder to give more space to Baekhyun. Sehun was slowly lifted by Namjoon and placed on the sofa where Jin was curled into himself.

Namjoon himself sat on the empty spot next to Baekhyun while rubbed the older's back. Chanyeol was still peacefully asleep in Baekhyun's lap. Namjoon then said,

"Are you guys unofficial? It's okay if you don't wanna come out yet. Take your time."

Namjoon said making Baekhyun spit out the water he just filled his mouth with. The water splashed onto Namjoon's shirt, making him confused.

Did I say something wrong?

Namjoon thought.

"We are not together!!"

Baekhyun whisper-screamed. He didn't want to wake everyone in the room.

"But the way you were taking care of him and most importantly, the way he looks at you. It's definitely not just friends."

Joon explained.

"You are overthinking Namjoon."

Baekhyun fought back.

"You'll know what I mean. I've been through all that."

Joon mumbled.

Baekhyun gave him a 'what-are-you-talking-about-dude' look.

"Okay, I'll go to sleep. I am kinda sleepy."

Namjoon said trying to shrug it away. If someone had said to Namjoon that he was going to be so whipped around another man a few years ago, he would have reacted the same.

He picked up Jin slowly on his back in the piggyback form and left the room, leaving Baekhyun alone to think and rethink.

______________________

It was already 10 am and everybody was busy trying to make the ends meet.

Baekhyun was on the phone with Junmyeon, inviting the other to the marriage.

"Thanks for inviting Baekhyun. I will be glad to come."

"Cool. Bring your brother too."

"My brother is actually into floral decoration business. And there is some wedding he has to manage on the same day. I don't think he'll be able to make it."

"Oh! Okay. But you should come."

Baekhyun said enthusiastically.

"Yes. I will. Bye."

"Bye."

"Done with inviting people," Baekhyun muttered to himself while keeping the phone down.

"Hyung, you have to come with me. We need to visit the wedding location beforehand."

Sehun said to Baekhyun.

"Can't you go on your own? I am a bit tired. I slept late last night."

Baekhyun said while yawning.

"No hyung. You have to come with me. It's important."

Sehun said.

But Sehun's demeanor was different from usual. He seemed more enthusiastic, more excited and somewhat nervous.

"I'll go if you want me to."

Baekhyun said in understanding.

They both left together. Suddenly Jin said,

"! I made some alterations in the exact wedding hall last night. Sehun doesn't know about it!"

"Just call him or Baekhyun."

Said Joon.

He tried calling the two, only to realize that they both forgot to carry phones.

"One of us has to go and tell them."

Jin said.

"I'll go."

Sid Chanyeol as he clicked a picture of the correct address and left with Namjoon's bike keys and helmet.

He hadn't gone far when he found Jin's car on the street. He could see Sehun driving.

Strange, Baekhyun never really lets Sehun drive.

Chanyeol thought.

He tried catching up on a traffic signal but the signal turned green and the halted cars raced back to life.

Chanyeol kept following until he realized that they were going nowhere close to the venue. Rather, the car was accelerating towards the lonely countryside areas.

Chanyeol managed to hide by maintaining enough distance from the car.

The car finally stopped in front of huge fields of sunflowers. Baekhyun immediately hopped out and so did Sehun.

There was a small hut at one corner of the field. Chanyeol hid the bike behind the hut and hid inside the small cottage of straw and mud.

He tried listening to their conversations. Even though it made him feel like a cheap spy but something inside him told him that something important was coming up. Or else, why would they lie about coming to a sunflower field?

"Oh my God, this was your surprise?"

Baekhyun asked.

Sehun smiled and nodded.

"Hyung, I know you are very fond of sunflowers. So, I thought you'll like it."

Sehun replied.

"Like it? I love it!"

And Baekhyun jumped on Sehun, his legs crossed around Sehun's waist as he tightly hugged the younger.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much Sehunie!"

Baekhyun said in awe.

"It's nothing hyung."

Sehun said as he hugged Baekhyun back and slowly put him down.

Baekhyun started running around the field like a child. Touching and smelling random flowers. Even kissing the big, bright ones.

After tiring himself down, he sat down with his back against the small but where Chanyeol was hiding.

Chanyeol felt stupid of himself for spying on the two. He decided to come out and so he walked to the door but before he could, he heard Sehun say something which made him pause.

"Hyung, there's something very important I want to talk to you about."

"Go ahead."

Said Baekhyun.

Sehun took both of Baekhyun's hands in his own and said,

"Hyung, I am in love with you. And, and it's not the kind of love a younger brother feels towards his older brother. It's more than that."

Sehun squeezed Baekhyun's hands slightly and gulped the lump in his throat and said,

"I want to be the one who takes care of you. I want to be the one you rely on. I want to be the one who is special to you. Someone who loves you and you love them back. I promise to love you all my life. Please give me a chance. Please let me be your boyfriend. I promise I won't disappoint you."