Phone call

Way Back Home

"Like thieves,
we could only love
the
stolen hearts."

 

-Atticus

 



 


Baekhyun kept walking the dimensions of his cabin, back and forth. Over and over again. He was scratching his head, praying to the supernatural to drop an idea into his self destructive and uniquely dumb brain. Baekhyun wasn't really an atheist, but he was no better either.

He didn't fight the idea of existence of God, rather, it seems more appropriate to say that he was too busy to care about the existence of the ultimate. So considering the fact that he was literally praying, with his palms clasped together and eyes shut, it meant he was really regretting his life choices.

He needed to apologise, that much he knew. But the problem arises with a simple one word question, 'How?'

Baekhyun tightly shut his eyes trying to figure some excellent master plan, fingers poking his temples, while walking and he walked straight into the wall and-
Oops, well, yes, he kinda fell to the floor.
Pretty hard.

"Ahhhh! Ouch! Ah! A-ah!" Baekhyun screamed while rubbing the injured spot. His phone bounced out of his pocket and fell to the floor too. Baekhyun's eyes darted towards the phone and his master plan cascaded into his brain right out of heavens!

Fine, not heavens, but the floor, maybe? Who knew.

Two minutes later, the scene was something like-

"Hyung, at least tell me what you did?"

"No Sehun, I can't! You just tell me what you'd do to apologise to someone after doing something very wrong."

"It depends on a lot of things hyung!"

"How? It's just apologising!"

"Hyung, apologising to your mom would be different than apologising to your younger sister and the two of these will be entirely different than apologising to your crush. How can I just give you an idea without knowing who you're apologising to?"

Baekhyun cleared his throat. Of course, Sehun was right, like always. But how on Earth was Baekhyun supposed to say that he needed to apologise to his crush?

The was was too embarresed for that!

Moreover, that'd be too lame. Baekhyun curled his fingers, clutching the paws of his sweater and lazily looked down at his finger nails when he said, "I am not living with my mom, and I don't have a younger sister."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Wait. What the ?"

Baekhyun prepared himself for an earful of complains and rants. He was partially regretting his decision of calling Sehun in the first place.

"Are you telling me you need to apologise to your crush?!" Sehun's voice sounding all excited and hyperactive.

"Umm, well, you see Sehun, it's like-"

"Oh my God! Please don't tell me it's Chanyeol!" Sehun spitted out quickly.

Baekhyun became silent at that. What could he even say? But how did Sehun figure out? He's too naive for that.

Sensing Baekhyun's silence, Sehun replaced it with his own words which felt too surprising for Baekhyun to even digest.

"! I lost the bet."

Baekhyun's eyebrows twitched. He blinked, once, twice and was yet unable to contemplate anything.

"What bet?" He said finally.

"I had a bet with Junmyeon hyung! He said that you and Chanyeol were a thing and I said he's imagining things. Oh my God! I still can't believe I lost the bet! How is it even possible?!"

"WHAT?!" Baekhyun shouted from the other side making Sehun finally realize what he said, but it was too late now, the tea was spilled.

"Umm.. yeah. And now I lost! Thanks to you." Sehun said the last part with sarcasm dripping down the curve of his tongue.

Baekhyun was too shocked to speak. His mouth had fallen open on hearing this. He and Chanyeol met Junmyeon collectively, like once, and Junmyeon could sense it? In one ing visit?

Baekhyun felt like dumbest human being ever.

'Wait, he's a psychiatrist, of course he sensed it!'

Baekhyun thought, tying to make himself feel better.

'Wait wait, even I am a psychiatrist!'

Now, that felt worse.

'I am like the dumbest psychiatrist ever!'

Baekhyun slapped his hand on his forehead harshly.

Sehun was muttering some useless things that failed reach Baekhyun's brain from his ear drums.

"How much did you lose?" Baekhyun spoke out of blue.

"Umm.. who said we bet on money?"

Baekhyun's eyes grew bigger. He nodded in understanding. He remembered how Junmyeon was looking at Sehun at the wedding. They were practically stuck together throughout the wedding.

A creepy smile crawled it's way to Baekhyun's lips. So Junmyeon was probably into Sehun.

"What did you lose then?" Baekhyun asked, it was his turn to sound sarcastic and over smart. Overall, it could be called kiddish.

"Umm.. that's uh- he recently bought a pet dog, a white poodle, and uh, he wants me to take care of it because he's mostly at the hospital and even Kyungsoo hyung is busy these days."

Baekhyun started laughing into the line. His laugh sounding more like soft giggles. He said between his muffled laugh, "So you have to go to his place everyday to look after the dog?"

"Uh, yeah, until Junmyeon hyung's schedule eases a little, I guess." Sehun said, sounding highly confused and flushed. Baekhyun could imagine Sehun with his cheeks blushing pink, hands clutching the length of his shirt as he spoke anxiously.

Baekhyun started laughing again, this time it was no longer giggles but a clear loud laughter echoing in the empty room and vibrating through the walls.

It has been a long long while since Baekhyun laughed this way. "Why are you laughing hyung?"

Sehun's voice sounded absolutely innocent. The boy had no clue about what he had gotten himself into. He was clueless about the love games Junmyeon was playing with him.

Maybe Baekhyun wasn't the dumbest human being to exist on the surface of Earth. "It's nothing." Baekhyun said while smiling widely like an idiot. Like Chanyeol. He felt better. A lot better. He wasn't the worst maybe. The heart of the sentence being 'Maybe.'

"So tell me what should I do to apologise?"

"Right." Sehun said coming back on the topic.

"Because now I feel he likes you too, it should be simple." Sehun said confidently.

Baekhyun could feel blood rush into his cheeks. He placed his one hand on his cheek, grazing the skin under it, rubbing out the sign on embarrassment.

"But I was really mean to him. I don't think it's gonna be that easy."

"Kiss, kiss, kiss~ kiss make up. Kiss~ kiss make up." Sehun started singing from the other side.

Baekhyun's eyes grew as wide as they could. This time blood rushing to the tip of his ears and covering the back of his neck. His skin resembled the pretty red shade of a freshly cut watermelon. Looking all juicy and flushed.

"I can't!" He nearly shouted. His back arching slightly as he stretched his arm between his feet which the crisscrossed on the floor.

"Tell me something less touchy." Baekhyun announced. He realized how his tone matched that of a young teenage girl who's fallen in love for the first time and is now whining to her best friend about it. However, he decided to ignore it with an eye roll.

"Okay, how about a sorry card with flowers?"

"Umm, card is too cliche, I'll get the flowers though. Flowers are good!"

"Roses?"

"Nope." Baekhyun said, sounding almost annoyed.

"Then?"

"The regular." He said with a toothy smile.

"Shiny and fragrant sunflowers?" Sehun said with a small smile.

"No doubt about that!" His voice becoming more cheerful at that.

"Okay so then I'll go now. Junmyeon hyung is here."

"Why?"

"Lunch!" Sehun said like it's the most obvious thing ever.

"What do you want hyung?" Sehun shouted while his footsteps echoed through the phone while he was walking to the kitchen.

"Tacos." Came another muffled voice from the other side. Baekhyun smiled to himself as he though of Sehun and Junmyeon. It seemed like a good couple.

"Hey wait a second." Baekhyun said quickly before Sehun could cut the call.

"What~?" Sehun whined impatiently.

"Flowers ain't enough!"

"Ugh! Give him something he desperately wants from you! Bye hyung, love you." And Sehun declined the call without letting Baekhyun say anything after that.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and said, "I've seen enough of your tantrums Sehunie."

What Baekhyun didn't see was how Junmyeon slowly walked to Sehun and back hugged him, saying "It was a long day, Hun." And Sehun smiling warmly at that. No one needed to see that.

Baekhyun folded his knees, feet on the floor and arms circling around his legs with his chest tightly pressed against his thighs as he mumbled-

"Give him something he desperately wants from you."