Snow

Way Back Home

 

 

As Chanyeol treated the little kitty affectionately, Baekhyun just sat next to him watching him with keen interest.

The plaster was done and Chanyeol was now treating the cuts. After cleaning the dried blood, he would sterilise them with some dilute anti-bacterial and cover them with healing cream. While Baekhyun just kept staring at him, his hands mostly.

How they would move with delicacy, petting the injured animal every once in a while and how his fingers were rubbing the cream with tenderness.

"Do you not want to work anymore?"

"It's not like that," Chanyeol said and pasted a bandage on one of the scratches on the cat's head, "I was actually waiting for my University to send me an online copy of my certificates so then I can open my own clinic." Chanyeol said as a small smile made way through his lips. He really loved animals.

"Oh. I didn't know."

"Yeah, they even sent the copies yesterday morning. But yesterday, you see, was a busy day." Chanyeol said with a small laugh. And a blush creeped on Baekhyun's cheeks realizing why it was a busy day. "So now, we are ready to go!" Chanyeol said to the sleeping kitten after all the bandaging and treating was done, as he patted her head for one last time.

"How was your school life, Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol looked up for the first time in a while, directly at Baekhyun, who felt like he was caught off guard. Chanyeol pulled the mask down slowly, not breaking the eye contact even once, "It wasn't exactly chill." Baekhyun gulped, feeling slightly hot inside, and immediately looked at the cat on the floor for distraction since Chanyeol's gaze was intense and Baekhyun finally understood the meaning of the word shyness, at it best.

"Why so?" Baekhyun asked, slowly trying to reach for the cat's head, trying his best to pet her, just the way Chanyeol did. But it was tougher than Baekhyun thought. While Chanyeol was doing it with ease, Baekhyun was finding himself a little scared of touching the cat. Chanyeol slowly placed his hand on top of Baekhyun's fingers and said, "I told I was into Kyungsoo that time, plus scared of accepting my own self. I was always so busy pretending straight, so never really enjoyed school life."  Then slowly Chanyeol reached for the cat's head and gently placed Baekhyun's hand on it and guided Baekhyun through rubbing the injured animal's forehead.

"She's so soft." Baekhyun said with a soft smile and Chanyeol pulled his hand away, letting Baekhyun do it on his own.

"How was yours?" Chanyeol asked with a goofy smile.

Baekhyun's head perked up at the question and he said with a coy smile, "It wasn't good until I was living with Dad. You know, he always kept making me feel like I was worthless, so I was very underconfident. But things changed once me and Mom moved out to Seoul."

A coy smile  spread on Baekhyun's pretty lips.

"How did it change?" Chanyeol asked cutely with a head tilt.

"Umm, you see, I was really really cute and the girls and guys of all classes got smitten over the new transfer student." Baekhyun said as the shy smile turned into a smirk and his hand flipping the ends of his pretty hair with pride.

"Uh huh." Chanyeol said cheekily and started poking Baekhyun's sides with his fingers. Baekhyun tried acting neutral but couldn't hold his laughter in anymore when Chanyeol started poking his soft ticklish tummy.

After a good laughing session, followed by a thrashing pillow fight, they finally decided to call it even, since both were hungry.

"You wanna go out to the beach restaurant or you wanna stay in for dinner?" Baekhyun asked from the living room.

"Can't leave Snow alone today, so gotta stay in. You can go out if you want to." Chanyeol replied from the bedroom.

"You gave that cat a name?" Baekhyun asked in bewilderment, completely ignoring the remaining half of the sentence.

"I mean, we can't keep calling her cat."

Baekhyun nodded slowly.

"What do want for dinner?" Baekhyun asked as he picked up the phone and looked for numbers of room service.

"I really feel like kimchi today." Chanyeol answered quickly. "What about you? What do you really like to have?" Chanyeol added in an attempt of knowing what Baekhyun wants to eat.

Chanyeol was trying his best to get all the important points. Anything and everything that Baekhyun likes. He wanted his confession to be really special.

"Why?" Baekhyun asked as he curled his fingers around the dial pad of the telephone.

"Just like that, for example, I love ddukbokki."
Chanyeol replied quickly.

"Umm, I really like bimimbap, spicier than usual, but today I'll go with egg and ramyeon." Baekhyun replied as he called the room service and placed their order, along with ice creams.

Once done with devouring the lunch and checking the where abouts of the pretty kitten, Baekhyun confirmed.with the hospital that his visit was scheduled for the next morning. Having the free evening, Chanyeol and Baekhyun decided to go jet skiing, because what's the use of coming to the beach and not having a little fun?

They drove their way to the beach, Baekhyun decided to let Chanyeol drive this time remembering the events of last time. They asked a member from hotel staff to watch over Snow while they were gone. So now, Chanyeol was stress free and joyful all the more.

And Baekhyun started jumping up and down like a child when their car crossed a field with a small sized bush of sunflowers around the edge. "Yeol stop the car!" He said excitedly. And Chanyeol pulled the breaks with a smile on his lips induced by the shine in Baekhyun's pretty chocolate eyes.

Baekhyun hopped out of the car and whiffed the flowers while gently grazing his slender fingers under the petals before emptying the bottle of mineral water he carried from the hotel with himself. And Chanyeol just watched peacefully, trying to remember the last time he saw something this beautiful.

"Baekhyun why do like sunflowers so much?" Chanyeol asked after Baekhyun closed the door behind himself.

Baekhyun smiled and pulled the seat belt over his chest as Chanyeol started driving again.

"After we moved away from Dad and family, it was just me and Mom, so we rented this small apartment near my school. My mom opened a playschool in the same apartment. That's how we managed our expenses."

Chanyeol just hummed in response as Baekhyun longed in nostalgia.

"So there was this girl around my age. She was 14 when I was 16, and she used to deliver milk to our house. And she had this beautiful smile and dark brown skin, and everyday she would come with milk, early in the morning. And I used to collect milk, and she had this beaming smile that could melt frozen hearts, while I was still yawning with all the grogginess of being woken up this early."

Chanyeol chuckled at Baekhyun's words and Baekhyun took this as a confirmation to continue.

"And you know, everyday with milk, she would remove the sunflower from her hair and give it to me."

"Oh my God!" Chanyeol said out of excitement and happiness that Baekhyun felt comfortable enough with him to share his past with ease.

"Yeah, and I thought it was normal until one day I was in the bathroom and mom collected milk and this time, it was only milk and no sunflower!"

Chanyeol's eyes widened with realization. "She liked you!" Chanyeol said with amazement filled in his voice.

"I think she did. Every time I collected milk, it was accompanied with a beautiful sunflower but only milk whenever I asked mom to collect milk. And my mom thought it was funny, but I felt for the first time that someone could genuinely like me with all the grogginess in my voice and my annoying bed hair."

"But didn't you have all those admirers in school too?" Chanyeol asked as he entered the parking area around the beach.

"It was a lot different. In school people liked me because I was famous and pretty. They only saw the best of me, but she saw the worst of me and yet liked me! It was a big deal for me." Baekhyun answered with sheer honesty.

"Did she never ask you out?" Chanyeol asked, slightly concerned this time.

"She did." Baekhyun said with a sigh as his tone changed suddenly from happy to sad.

"Did you not say 'yes?'" Chanyeol asked carefully.

"I couldn't." Baekhyun muttered.