The metallic horse

Way Back Home

It was already the next day when Baekhyun woke up on the small side-couch of his office cabin. He stretched his aching muscles to realize that his neck and back were specially hurting.

He has been sleeping on the same couch for weeks but for the first time he realized how bad it was on his body. Many times he even fell asleep on his working chair while doing some work but he never craved his home and his bed as badly as he did now. He was dying to go home but preparing the right apology was time consuming. However, it was completely worth it. It was for Chanyeol, after all.

Baekhyun excitedly looked at the printouts in front of him and thought of how Chanyeol would react. He was prepared for the worst. He was prepared for all the cursing, screaming and blaming, to get slapped or punched or even kicked out of his own house. He was ready to take it. He deserved it, didn't he?

So he quickly picked up the print outs, stuffed them in a bag and rushed for home, more like rushed for Chanyeol.  Or maybe, they were the same thing now. Baekhyun smiled at himself as he mumbled softly, "Home is Chanyeol, Chanyeol is home."

When Baekhyun reached home, it was still early in the morning. The hour hand was still hanging somewhere between 7 and 8. So instead of knocking, Baekhyun used his spare key and made way into the house.

Many times Baekhyun visited the house but he was never this nervous and the house was never this messy. It was more like distorted. The living room looked like it suffered an Earth quake. All the show pieces were on the floor, resting in angels they aren't supposed to be resting in. All pillows lying on the floor as if thrown away purposely. A flower vase lying broken in the corner.

Baekhyun looked at the bunch of 5 beautiful sunflowers in his hand and thought that where would he put them now? Shrugging his shoulders, he looked back up and walked towards the sofa where Chanyeol was sleeping like a dead man.

His entire body was shoved inside the sofa, curled like a cocoon. Baekhyun slowly  tried shaking him but Chanyeol only turned to the other side in response. Now Baekhyun could see his face. The vulnerability marks on his features shocked Baekhyun to his bones. There were circles and dark outlines under Chanyeol's eyes, his breath smelled like alcohol and his skin looked pale.

Baekhyun gulped feeling guilty and slowly moved away. He decided to clean the house first and then wake Chanyeol up. The boy would get some more sleep till then. It took Baekhyun an hour to clean rest of the house and now only the living room was left. Baekhyun started with picking up the alcohol bottles rolled carelessly on the floor. He heard some noise while he was picking up the broken pieces of the flower vase. He went closer to Chanyeol and realized that the boy was sleep talking. Baekhyun giggled at the sight in front of him and slowly bowed down to listen what Chanyeol was muttering.

"Cats don't eat that-"

Baekhyun got more confused than before.

'Chanyeol was dreaming about cats?'

'Well okay, after all, it would be more shocking if he said something that made sense. It's Chanyeol after all.' Baekhyun thought.

Before he could stand up, he heard some mumbling again.

This time it was, "No, the pups must get milk-"

'So it's pups this time?' Baekhyun thought while a snicker escaped his lips. Instantly, an idea hit him like a firework and he bolted out of the house in the speed of a burning rocket.

When Chanyeol woke up, he opened his lided eyes slightly and on seeing the house cleaner and sunflowers kept on the table in front of him, he realized he was dreaming. Then, he realized he was too tired to be dreaming, so he fell back on the sofa and drifted off to sleep again. He really got wasted last night after Baekhyun left him like that.

The next time Chanyeol woke up, it was because of the clanking sounds of the vessels from the kitchen. As soon as Chanyeol opened his eyes, the thought of someone breaking into the house started haunting the out of him. The scared boy slowly stood up and the hangover made it's presence stronger. Chanyeol cursed under his breath and very slowly started walking towards the kitchen with shaky feet.

He reached the corner next to the kitchen and picked up a horse shaped resting show piece and took a deep breath before peeking in. He saw something that made him even more confused. There was a person in the kitchen. And he was wearing a dog type onesie with the hood, covering his head completely.

And he was cooking!

'Is it a kid?' Chanyeol thought to himself as he physically relaxed his hold on the metallic horse piece in his hand.

'But he could also be a psychopath who thinks of himself as a kid!'

Chanyeol gripped the metallic horse as tightly as he could, as if his life depended on it.

'Be brave Chanyeol! Get him before he gets you!'

Chanyeol drew a sharp breath before running inside the kitchen while shouting, "Yah!"

Baekhyun, who was wearing the onesie, immediately bowed down covering his head with his hands and quickly squeezing his eyes shut, waited for the hit that never came.

Baekhyun slowly opened his one eye only to see Chanyeol who was standing in front of him with his hands above his head holding a metallic horse which Baekhyun's mother gifted him and his mouth open so wide, Baekhyun wondered how his jaw didn't flex and eyes nearly falling out of the sockets. He looked like a lunatic. Baekhyun opened his other eye as well and straightened his posture as he said, "What are you doing Yeol?"

Hearing the soft voice again calling him Yeol, Chanyeol realized he wasn't dreaming! He abruptly corrected his own posture and messily dropped the metallic horse, which landed on Baekhyun's foot.

"Ouch, ah-ah-ah-" Baekhyun started jumping with one foot on the ground and other in his hand.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry-"

Chanyeol bent down quickly and picked Baekhyun up in his arms in bridal style and ran to the sofa in the living room. Baekhyun could feel a lazy blush creeping on his cheeks as he could feel the thumping of Chanyeol's racing heart inside his chest next to Baekhyun's cheek and the smell of alcohol flooding his nostrils.

Baekhyun slowly looked up at Chanyeol while the latter was putting him down on the sofa carefully. "I'll get ice for your foot." Chanyeol said and started to run but Baekhyun caught his wrist and pulled him on the sofa next to him. "No need." Baekhyun muttered softly.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Please don't say sorry."

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun who was looking back at him intensely.

"The only person in this room who should be sorry, is me."