Handmade italian chocolates

Way Back Home

We get so worried
About being so happy,
That we end up
Missing out on happiness
Altogether.
Stop waiting for the
Magical moment of happiness
To happen,
And start enjoying whatever little fragments
Of happiness you can find.

 

-anonymous

 

_


___________________________

 

4 Years ago

Baekhyun was busy with some paperwork in his office. Huge piles of paper were mounted on his either side, casting a shadow on the sheets he was currently engaged with. His glasses, which slipped all the way from the bridge of his nose, were now placed on the tip of his nose. One pen in his hand and another forgotten pen settled on his left ear. Both his feet crisscrossed uncomfortably in the small space of his chair.

"Bhoo!" A loud voice came from the left side, destroying the silence of the room and Baekhyun's concentration at its best. Baekhyun flinched so hard that he slipped away from the chair and landed hard on the floor, knocking the table and a pile of paper fell on top of him, burying his small frame under the mass of paper.

". I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry Baek." Kai said quickly as he ran towards Baekhyun who was lying flat on the floor. Baekhyun's glasses were in a miserable position. One side still on his ear and the other on the top of his head in a diagonal position. Kai looked at a distorted Baekhyun trying to collect the sheets on the floor and clumsily adjusting his glasses, which already lost their perfect fit. Kai started laughing at the sight while sitting next to Baekhyun. The elder looked at him with a disapproving look and sighed before shaking his head. But soon after, they were both laughing their asses off.

"Help me up," Baekhyun said after putting the sheets in two neat piles. Baekhyun extended his hand but Kai bent down and scooped the elder in his arms before lifting him up. Baekhyun's eyes widened in shock but Kai quickly placed him back on his chair as if he were a doll.

Kai himself sat on the chair placed directly opposite to Baekhyun's and started looking at the older with big eyes.

Baekhyun shook his head before settling his disturbed glasses back in place and asked Kai, "Why did you come here?"

"Did you see the time Baeky?" Kai asked innocently.

"It would be around 10," Baekhyun said before turning his head to see the wall clock which was striking at 12:30 am. "Okay. It's 12:30. Good morning Kai." Baekhyun said with a playful face, knowing he's at fault.

"But you could have just called me Kai. No need of coming all the way to my office." Baekhyun said with a pout when he saw that his playful face did not effect Kai at all.

"Check your phone Baekhyun," Kai said slowly.

Now Baekhyun had to actually swallow the lump in his throat before he grabbed his phone and clicked on the power button. The screen lightened and showed "11 missed calls" from "Kai🐥."

"Ughh. I'm sorry, okay?" Baekhyun said with guilt hinting his voice.

"That's fine," Kai said softly, then continued, "let's go home."

"Okay, " Baekhyun said and shut the file which was opened in front of him.

Instead of taking a cab, they decided to walk back since wanted to. Paris is one beautiful city and late night walks are bliss in themselves. Baekhyun had something he wanted to tell Kai but was finding hard to put it to words.

"Kai, " Baekhyun said in a low voice.

"Hmm?" Kai asked.

"I checked your recent reports," Baekhyun said slowly. Kai visibly stiffed for a second before relaxing back.

"Yeah."

"You're not improving, " Baekhyun said as he looked Kai in the eyes.

"Nothing at all?" Kai asked.

"Your disorder is only worsening, " Baekhyun said in a voice which was hardly audible but Kai managed to sink the words in his head.

"Don't worry. We'll figure it out. For now, just don't get too angry for too emotional. That's when things slip out of your hands. Okay?" Baekhyun asked in a calm tone.

"Yes, " Kai said as he nodded like a kid.

"Good," Baekhyun said with a small voice.

"Also! Don't drink. At all. Okay?" Baekhyun said again in his 'how-could-I-forget-this' voice.

Kai nodded wordlessly.

It was once they reached home and Baekhyun was going to his room, Kai stopped him. Baekhyun looked up at him with half sleepy, half confused eyes.

"Happy birthday, " Kai said to Baekhyun's astonishment. Baekhyun's eyes widened a little and mouth parted slightly open in realization.

"Aah, right! I almost forgot. Haha!"

"Good night, " Kai said before leaving Baekhyun at the door of his room and going to sleep.

_____________________
 

It was a bright sunny day. Baekhyun had left already by the time Kai woke up.

"This man is workaholic," Kai said while he was still rubbing the sleep off his eyes while standing on the door of Baekhyun's room. The sheets were undone and the bed felt warm when Kai touched it, signifying that Baekhyun must have left a short while ago.

After doing the sheets, Kai went to the kitchen and found a sticky note hanging on the refrigerator comfortably between the sponge bob and Dora stick-ons.

Kai removed the note and it immediately brought a smile to his face when he read,

"I found that box of handmade Italian chocolates in my drawer as the very first thing this morning. They are really tasty. Thank you for the gift, Kai. I'll call you when I'm free. Take care.
-Your trouble maker."

That's just how their household worked. Baekhyun saved Kai from a terrible fate, so Kai took it upon himself to take care of Baekhyun, without paying attention to his own mental health. He thought it would cure on its own.

But he didn't realize that it was the biggest mistake he did.