Hey, what do you think you are doing?

Way Back Home

"Did you really want to die?"
No one commits suicide because they want to die.
"Then why do they do it?"
Because they want to stop the pain.

 

-Tiffanie DeBartolo

 

______________________

Baekhyun looked at the watch on his wrist. It was already 12:15 in the morning. Tiredness was taking its toll on his body. But the file in front of him still had some 10 pages left.

 

He pressed his eyelashes shut and sighed inside the lonely building. Deciding to finally head home, he closed the file shut like one would close a book with an unhappy ending. He quickly stuffed the file inside his bag and removed his coat which was hanging quietly on the back of his chair then removed his thick glasses and switched off the lights of his cabin.


Going home was always the happy moment of the day.

He walked off the hospital and started walking his way back home. Little did he know that this walk wasn't as usual as the regular ones.

Paris streets get foggy by this time so vision wasn't the best at this hour. Nonetheless, he was used to the foggy-misty streets. More like he was fond of them. Being a psychologist was never an easy task but it allowed one to love things the way they are. And so he loved the misty path with poor vision.

But being a psychologist also meant a lot of responsibility. You're handling lives after all. And one of the repercussions was that his mind was never left idle. Like right now, while walking on the bridge above the calm river, his mind was busy inside the file which was left shut inside his bag.

Little did he realize that there was a man standing on the same bridge, ready to jump, committing suicide.

It was only for the sound of the huge splash of water which hit Baekhyun's ear and brought him back to his senses. He immediately ran towards the fence of the bridge to find a man struggling inside the river.

Without thinking twice, he removed his wristwatch and bag, leaving them on the bridge and jumped into the river to save the dying man.

As soon as he hit the surface of the river, he quickly grabs hold of the man by circling his arm around his neck and started dragging him to the corner. Luckily, the height of the bridge wasn't much so neither of them was badly hurt.

As soon as they reached the ground the man started struggling back into the river.

"No, I want to die. Leave me. You , why did you save me?"

That's when it hit Baekhyun that the man didn't lose his balance and fell but he committed suicide. The man stood up and started walking back to the river. Baekhyun immediately ran to him and held his wrist so stop him.

The man turned around with a pathetic expression on his face. Baekhyun being himself, did not give a about this ungrateful man and slapped him as hard as he could. Due to the unexpected force hitting his cheek, the taller fell on the ground.

"Hey, what do you think you are doing?"

Baekhyun was ready for any kind of violent reflex when the man realized his actions. The hard slap brought him back to reality. He lifted his face while sitting his knees and started crying. Tears kept falling down while soft moans escaped his lips.

Baekhyun understood what was happening and decided to take control of the situation. He started patting the man's back while saying,

"It's gonna be alright. Relax."

_______________

After what seemed like eternity, the man finally agreed to go home and they started walking on the same bridge.

"Where's your home?"

"I don't have one."

Deciding not to question any details tonight, Baekhyun calmly replied

"Then go to mine."

The man looked a little shocked, but nodded finally.

"Oh, I am Baekhyun by the way. And you?"

"Chanyeol."