Ch 37

She's my Manager

The celebration dinner.

Was meant to be in one of those, family restaurants. You know, kind of cramped and long tables for everyone to sit together at, sometimes they didn't have chairs and everyone just sat on the ground all close and budging into each other's spaces because the border called the edge of a chair wasn't there to stop them?

Sowon's smiled was a little strained, holding a cup of cream soda. She had been offered alcohol, but both for her image and well, wellbeing, she decided not to and safely stuck to her favorite soft drink. Yerin had been guarding her right side, making sure that she had plenty to eat and drink, but on her left, there was Eunha.

At first, the person next to her was the male lead, but then eventually somehow, someway or another, when he went to go greet some other poeple and got up, Eunha who had been on the male lead's other side, sidled up to her and was now engaging in pleasantries while slightly inebriated.

"Eunha yah, you shouldn't drink too much."

Sowon had been trying to get the shorter girl to notice that if she had gotten severely drunk, there would be no other option than to have her manager drag her out of the little restaurant, which would usually end up in the news someway or another, either talking about how much Eunha must have liked filming this drama or ridiculing her alcohol tolerance and uninterest in her own image.

"I'll stop."

At least that's what she had been replying to Sowon's every attempt. Her cheeks were throughly pink and she was half leaning on Sowon at this point, her warm cheek pressed onto Sowon's cool exposed skin at her shoulder.

"Eunha ya, if you can't sit up straight by yourself, you should go home early."

"Don't want to. Unnie is still here after all. Drink?"

Offering her cup to Sowon shakily, Eunha hummed when Sowon finally took the cup from her, but to her disatisfaction, Sowon put the cup onto the table, just slightly out of Eunha's reach.

"Yer- ahem manager, could you find Eunha's manager for me? She needs to go home."

"I wanna stay here with youuuu!"

Yerin nodded and got up from her seat, but only after placing her huge backpack that kind of carried nothing but one notebook and a few pens. She had brought the backpack to help defend her seat just in case when she had checked the venue of said party.

Watching as Yerin waded her way through the lines of people and tapping someone on the shoulder for help to find Eunha's manager, Sowon turned back to Eunha.

"Eunha? How many fingers am I holding up?"

Although Eunha seemed quite drunk, she had managed to see Sowon's two fingers before giggling that she wasn't drunk.

"Hey unnie? Can we be together forever?"

"Hm? I thought we were bffs? Doesn't that stand for Best friends, FOREVER?"

"Oh, right. Haha."

Eunha stayed glued to Sowon's side quietly for a second before sitting upright all of a sudden.

"Hey unnie?"

"Yes?"

"I read, in a fortune telling column in the magazine I was in the other week, that confessions would be highly successful this week."

"Oh? That must be nice."

Sowon didn't really believe in what Eunha was saying so she just quipped back to tell Eunha that she was listening, even if she wasn't really invested.

"Unnie? Do you think that we could ever find a lover?"

"You mean now? Or in the future? Because Eunha yah, there's no one who would leave you alone for the rest of your life, I'm sure that you'll find someone nice."

Eunha sniffled and rubbed her nose slightly.

"Um, yeah I mean like right now I guess."

"Well, considering our career, I would say it would be difficult but it wouldn't be impossible."

That was considering that because Yerin was at her side.

"You think it's not impossible?"

"Yeah, anything can happen. Why are you asking though? Found someone you want to confess to?"

Before she could stop from spouting the appropriate words, Sowon had blurted out the question that Eunha had been leading her to. Realizing that not only she had fallen in the trap of questions, Sowon also noticed that this was not the time nor place to be talking about crushes and confessions. There were tons of people around them, especially people who worked in the industry of gossip as media workers. Even if the venue was so loud that Sowon could barely hear the person sitting next to her, there was still a chance that someone would hear.

"I do."

"O-oh."

"Unnie aren't you going to ask?"

"Hm? You want me to?"

Eunha hummed and looked down, her pink face and bobbing head forcing her to lean her cheek on her shoulder to stay upright without leaning on Sowon. Taking a deep breath and still holding  onto the hope that she had read all of Eunha's advances wrong, Sowon faced Eunha.

"Who is it?"

Eunha stayed quiet for a second but she opened quickly.

"Um, it's you unnie."

Of course, Sowon's intuition wasn't wrong and she now found herself in a very awkward position.

"Oh."

"Unnie? Are you against being with me?"

Sowon looked around nervously and checked that no one seemed to be paying attention to their talk.

"I'll be very honest with you Eunha yah."

"Okay?"

"We can't be together."

"Why?"

Sowon chewed her lip trying to find a legitimate reason other than Yerin.

"You...remember that a long time ago, I had that scandal?"

"You were being used, there was no relationship, why are you bringing that up again unnie?"

"I...don't want to be in a relationship. It's not that I don't like you, but also I don't love you in the same way you might be looking at me right now."

Sowon apologized to Eunha in her heart, there was no other way than to reject her as plainly as possible.

"But I wouldn't ever betray you, I could wait until you loved me."

Sowon sadly looked at Eunha in the eyes.

"I don't think that would happen, people's definition of love are always different. Eunha I hope you find someone better."

Seeing that Eunha's manager was now here, Sowon stood up and picked up Yerin's bag with her as she pulled on Yerin from behind Eunha's manager.

"Everyone! I'll be taking my leave first! Good night!"

After greeting everyone and giving notice of leave, Sowon finally left the party venue.

========================

sorry I skipped last week, I crunched a midterm paper and then promptly ended up brain dead for a whole week