Cautious Steps

In Plain Sight

Sneaking around was not an easy thing when there were people just the other side of the door from you and you had to navigate through a wasteland of discarded clothes from the night before. A million thoughts raced through Yongsun's head as she grabbed all the clothes and carefully placed them in the hamper before opening the notoriously creeky closet doors with so little speed that they looked as though they had barely opened an inch and moving aside the mass of Moonbyul's clothes to reveal a hidden stash of her own cleanly laundered ones. Obviously she couldn't leave the room wearing last night's clothes, even if their friends didn't notice, they would surely notice the smells eminating from the heavily creased material as the breeze wafted through them when she walked. Pulling on the new clothes slowly, she inwardly cursed at the missed opportunity of a shower and quickly located her hairbrush, pulling it unceremoniously through her ruffled hair hastily before spraying herself a little with her favourite perfume. She could hear the other's muffled voices talking and concocted a story in her head as to why she was here so early, thumbing the ring held on the thin necklace at as she emerged from the bedroom ready to answer any and all inquiring questions fom their friends, but none came and she was oddly relieved.

"Oh you're awake unnie, did you sleep well?. You know you shouldn't drink so much, right?, it's the first time i've had anyone sleep on my sofa since I moved in.". Moonbyul smiled as she spoke to Yongsun and she received a broad toothy one in response, a silent thanks for the backup story. Hyejin was distracted, trying to pinch Wheein's nose with her chopsticks and ending up in a fit of giggles when she started pretending to scoop food from her cavenous dimples. Both girls ended up rolling around on the floor as Moonbyul chuckled a little before making a wrap for Yongsun and feeding it to her. These small friendly gestures seemed to Yongsun to become a little more intimate with the knowledge of their secret relationship and she felt her heart surge a little every time they happened. As if she were thinking the same thing, Moonbyul inadvertently touched a finger to her necklace and looked away before she became too obvious in her prolonged eye contact with her wife. The rest of the meal passed in relative silence, everyone was hungry and didn't want to let the food go to waste. Casual conversation flowed once more as Yongsun went to make everyone coffee, she had her back to the room but she could hear that familiar hum of the three girls talking amongst themselves until the soft padding of footsteps told her that someone had gotten up and was making her way to the toilet, now only Hyejin and Moonbyul's voices filled the air and Yongsun pricked up her ears as she finished brewing the coffee and poured it into 4 cups to be placed onto a serving tray and carefully caried to the table in the living room. She had almost made it, about 98% of the way, when she was aware of both girls watching and hiding their laughter behind their hands, Yongsun grinned in spite of herself and only just managed to find the table with the edge of the tray.

Wheein frowned as she re-entered the room, why was everyone laughing? and what had she missed?, she hated not knowing the joke and pouted as she sat down next to Hyejin. "Wae?!", she tried to keep the anger and frustration out of her voice as she asked what they found so funny. After Hyejin explained about Yongsun's face in the coffee's journey to the table, Wheein understood and felt the small bubbling anger simmer and disappear. The 4 girls spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon together, playing games and eating before Hyejin, Wheein and Yongsun left. Although there was no reason for her to leave, they had to make it look as though there was nothing going on between them and so they had rented a small one person apartment for her a few months ago which she could use as a kind of 'show apartment' for family and friends. As the door snapped shut behind the three of them, Yongsun could almost feel Moonbyul's warmth move away from the door and she longed to go back to her but thought better of it. Hyejin was talking about going to a karaoke bar and pretending to sing really badly whilst getting drunk, Wheein seemed all for it but they both agreed that it was best Yongsun didn't go because she was a lightweight drinker and she had only just recovered from the night before. Begrudgingly, she pulled her coat tighter around herself as she said her goodbyes and made her solitary journey back to her almost empty apartment. It was for the best anyway, she could grab a quick shower and some more clothes, plus, there was a 24hr store open on the way and she wanted to pick some things up for the both of them.

Moonbyul always felt like she literally rattled around the apartment when she had to wait for Yongsun to return, it was a horrible feeling but she knew it was for the best. Although the air was filled with her sighs alone, she made the most of her time by cleaning up and putting some clothes from the hamper on to wash, the vacuum gliding around the apartment a few minutes later. She had just settled down in her comfiest long sweater and socks combination, remote in hand, ready to start a new boxset of something when the doorbell chimed and she jumped over the back of the sofa and sprinted to the door, her socked feet sliding a little too much and she almost bumped into the door before opening it and slipping into the arms of a bewildered Yongsun. They both spluttered and laughed as they walked inside the apartment and Yongsun deposited her shopping bags and backpack on the kitchen counter. The door clicked closed behind them and a moment passed before they were once more in each other's arms, Yongsun wound her fingers through Moonbyul's hair and let her lips linger less than an inch away from hers as she closed her eyes and whispered, "I missed you so much.". In an instant, the tv was forgotten, it's screen left blank as it had been before Yongsun's return and it would remain for the hours which passed as they made their clumsy way into the bedroom, hands a blur as they tried to touch every inch of one another as though if they didn't the other would disappear and could never be touched again. Fingers no longer bare, they went to bed as friends and woke once more as wives.