The Facade

In Plain Sight

There was something different in the way Moonbyul moved around Yongsun and she had to admit that if she hadn't known her so well, she may have missed it herself. It wasn't nastiness, it was just indifference almost. The way she used to cling to Yongsun every morning, begging her not to get out of bed, or the way she would be everywhere Yongsun needed her to be, now she seemed almost distant but when they had visitors she was plastic. As far as anyone else was concerned, nothing had changed between the two of them. Even when Hyejin and Wheein came round, the pictures were hidden, the rings became necklaces again and they were back to being colleagues and friends, nothing more. One morning, Yongsun had had enough and before Moonbyul could get out of bed before her again, she straddled her wife and frowned at her, pinning her arms to the bed for good measure. "Byul, baby, what's wrong?. You've been off with me ever since the tv people came around. I said before, if you don't want me to be on the show, I won't be. I know you don't like the situation and if I could be openly married to you on tv, you know I would but this will be for a little while and only fake marriage. It's you i'll be coming home to every night. Don't forget that!". Yongsun had never been angry with Moonbyul, not really, but the way she had been behaving was so childish that she had to resort to lecturing her. Instantly feeling bad for it, she lay down on top of Moonbyul and slowly kissed her lips, grinning as she did so and starting a tickle fight she knew she would inevitably lose.

Hyejin watched Wheein creep around the room trying to pick up her clothes and not wake her up, the curtains were closed and the bedroom was bathed in that early morning dulled sunlight that she loved. Fighting down laughter as she watched Wheein silently curse when she stubbed her toe on the foot of the bed, Hyejin waited for her moment and pounced, both of them tumbling to the soft carpetted ground in fits of giggles. It was how thier relationship had developed since they had told each other how they really felt, both had been shy at first but now it was just nice to be goofy and lovey with each other. "Yah! Hyejin-ah!!! I'm trying to find my socks!!", Wheein struggled to say between giggles as they rolled around on the floor. Hyejin slowly stopped tickling and pulled Wheein into a hug, her lips softly touching hers as she smiled. Somebody's phone rang and they broke apart breathless and with Wheein still sockless. Hyejin stood up to answer her phone, her voice was breathy and shallow as she answered, Moonbyul's deep quiet voice barely audible on the other end. Seconds later, the bed she had sat down on moved a little to accommodate Wheein too, Hyejin watched as she struggled to pull on her socks and lay back down on the bed, closing her eyes.

"I'll be right back aegi, I hate to leave you but Byul needs to talk. Ok?. Ani, don't give me that cute look Jung Wheein!. what was I supposed to do, let her suffer alone??. I'll be right back, i'll bring some mangoes back with me if you can only wait a short while. I miss you already.". It was true, as soon as the door had closed behind her, her heart felt heavy and she was counting down the seconds until she would be back home with Wheein again. A short drive later and she had arrived at the cafe where Moonbyul sat gloomily stirring her drink. Taking a seat opposite her friend, Hyejin sighed softly and smiled sympathetically. "Unnie, what's wrong?. Did something happen between you two?.". After a few seconds of complete silence, in which Hyejin ordered a drink for herself and sipped it quietly, Moonbyul lifted her head and tears streamed slowly down her face. It was a side of the tough girl which Hyejin had never seen before and for a moment she didn't know what to do. Putting her cup back onto the table, she reached for a napkin and wiped her friend's tears away gently. She had all the time in the world for her close frineds and if it took Moonbyul an hour or two to talk, then she would wait.

It didn't take that long, in fact it was almost a full second after her tears were wiped away when she spoke, her voice tight and full of sadness as she looked at Hyejin. "I don't know how much longer I can pretend everything is ok, I know it isn't her fault and I know she's right when she says I'm the one she loves. I still can't think of her even pretending to love anyone else Hyejin. What do I do?. I can't tell her or she'll cancel it all and questions will be asked and I..it will be all my fault. I hate this! I wish we could just be open!!". Hyejin sat thoughtfully and waved the waitress over, tonight was going to be a long night and so she texted Wheein to get Yongsun and meet them at a nearby bar, not telling Moonbyul her plans, she paid the bill for thier drinks and walked out with Moonbyul considerably less teary by her side. They got into her car and Hyejin drove them to begin a night of serious conversations and heavy drinking. After all, what are friends for?.