Never Grow Up

How I Met Your Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

‘Your little hands wrapped around my finger

And it's so quiet in the world tonight

Your little eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming

So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light

 

To you, everything's funny

You got nothing to regret

I'd give all I have honey

If you could stay like that’


 

Eunbi awoke one night when Nako was playing with her, reading her a story book. Nako cackled as she compared their hands and rolled closer to her mother. Eunbi patted her on the head and brought her in closer.

Eunbi had finished reading the storey for a few minutes when she saw her baby girl Mummy's thumb. Nako has a habit of her thumb as she sleeps. That night, however, there is a twist. 

The house was deafeningly quiet. Yujin had been tucked into bed early by Sakura, and he was probably downstairs making tea or something for their later movie date.

 

In her heart, the pleasant feelings and serenity strike a nostalgic chord.

 

Eunbi fixed her gaze on the cute face for her long curly lashes, button nose, and chubby cheeks. To those pink lips and a gradual rise in the chest as she breathes.

The girl was snoring softly, and Eunbi was content with herself.

 

‘I created this adorable creature’. ‘She is a gift for me!’

Eunbi gradually reclaimed her thumb, taking good care not to graze Nako's teeth or lips.

She kissed the girl's cheeks and forehead after pulling the duvet over her body.

“Goodnight, my angel,” she said as she switched on the nightlight and twisted the music box, allowing it to play Nako's favourite song and the ballerina to dance.

Since Nako has expressed an interest in ballet, her parents may decide to enrol her in a ballet class. Just like Yujin is enrolling in his motorcross class, too.



 

**********


 

“Mammi!” Eunbi was struggling in the bathroom when her dear angel knocked on the door.

“Yes!” She sighed internally.

“Mammi, This is Cho. Can you come over?” The small voice pleading.

‘My God Nako, everyone knows it's you outside,’ she sighed very slowly.

“I'll be there in a minute. Can you wait, dear?” She asked.

To which there is no answer.

But another knock in less than a minute.

“Mammi it's already a minit.”

‘Oh God, what now? This better be important because I ain't having my bowel time interrupted for some dislocated doll head.’

“Yeah baby, I'm coming,” she cleaned up and Nako stood outside with a little frown.

Cho is skek!

 

A sight of twinkling pairs of eyes gazed at Eunbi as she pulled the door open. Face seems worried and uneasy.

“Baby, what happened?” Eunbi knelt and asked Nako. This isn't a case of a dislocated doll head or even a misplaced set of plastic cars.

Nako begged, "Mammi don't get angy..." Eunbi's legs were hugged by her arms, and she buried her face in her thighs.

“Of course not. Why?” Eunbi picks the girl up with concern and wipes the tears on her face.

“Kishen…” Nako sobbed.

 

Eunbi's breath caught in as they reached the kitchen. It seems to have been stuck in the throat.

“What happened here? A  baby bar fight?"  The mother inadvertently raised her voice, prompting the son to lean closer into the cabinet. He possibly believes that if he merges with the cabinet, Mummy would not notice him.

“What happened, Miyawaki Nako, Miyawaki Yujin?”

The white powder on the table, most likely flour, and Yujin ‘glazed’ in Nutella caught her attention.

“Ding said it would good to eat chocolate bread. Then  Ding try take a bowl and then Ding tried to take big chocolate and Ding fall. Ding bath chocolate.,” 

“Good explanation Nako. But I think you forgot the part where you thought it would be fun to play catch with the cereal,” Sakura stood at the hallway, watching with arms crossed. 

“But Mammi Cho only play catch with celeal. No more play!” 

“Yeah, I would trust you too if I don't see cereal in your hair and get flour on my sleeve, baby,” Eunbi put the girl down and turned her around. Nako's back was covered in flour. Half of Yujin's face got flour traced too.

“But… Mammi… The floor fell….” Nako tried making excuses but quickly ran to Yujin as she saw Eunbi with her arms on her side. Looking unamused.

Yujin? He just stayed quiet because he knew he's in trouble. The slimy broken egg in his palm was hidden at his side.

“What are you two trying to do actually?” Eunbi asked the children firmly.

The two kids just gulped and said “bwead” “bread”

“What? But we already have bread here.”

“Ding saw YouTube video. Chocolate bread then Ding wanna do too. Ding wanna cook for Mummy too. Then… Fire nation attacked Ding and Cho. Bad Fire Nation!” Yujin 'successfully’ explained.

“Oh my God. Not the fire nation bro,” Sakura slapped his own forehead. Yujin is going down already.

“You two! Stand up!” Commander Kwon is here.

Yujin and Nako with their heads down just stared at their own feets. Gulping hard. They're gonna get cold treatment from Mummy huh?

 

“Do you know how your limb was broken before, Yujin?  Do you want it to be shattered once more?”

Yujin vigorously shook his head.

“What am I supposed to say to you, Nako, about not copying everything you see on the internet?”

Nako replied hesitantly, "Cho...."

“Hush! You two, go to the toilet! Yujin is on the second floor, and Nako is on the first. “Right now!” When Eunbi pointed to the children, they were hesitant to move. Yujin's feet were covered in eggshells.

“I told you to move, why don't you move?” 

Yujin and Nako gulped again.

 

Eunbi walked closer to them only to find out Yujin's feets had egg traces. 

“Oh My Good Lord,” she almost fainted. Whole carton of eggs: gone.

Seems like their parents have to go grocery shopping again.

Sakura lifted the boy up and pinched his ears, nagging him on the way up and Nako was left standing alone in the kitchen.

“Why are you not moving?” Eunbi glared.

“Cho…” 

“What?” What is this kid up to now?

“Cho okay!” She runs to the bathroom and Eunbi shakes her head again.

 

Until she realised what happened.

 

A glass bowl goes down with the kids. Rip to Eunbi's free glass bowl she got with the purchase of 2 packs of Milo.

“Oh no….” And now Eunbi realised it.

Bloodstained staircase and footsteps….

 

“Nako!” She ran to the bathroom and saw a shaky Nako trying to pull out shreds of the glass.

“What is with you two kids and injured legs? Do you know how my heart breaks everytime I see you get injured? I told you not to be too naught. Is it too hard to listen? I don't care if anything breaks but I care a lot if my babies get hurt. Look at you now, crying!”

“Urm Mammi… Mammi cried, not Cho…” the girl giggled.

“Do you think this is funny?” Eunbi asked in between her tears.

“No Mammi No!” Nako hugged her Mummy tight and Eunbi replied with a tighter hug. Tears dropping into Nako's shirt.


 

After cleaning the kitchen and having spaghetti (again) as dinner, Eunbi tucked the kids into bed early as they were already tired from all the chaotic mess. Yujin apologized a few times for making a mess and falling again.

“Daengie, you know it hurts Mummy if you fall down again right? So please stop climbing the shelf or doing any dangerous things. You are my only son and if you are injured, who will take care of Mummy when Daddy goes to work? Who will be my hero?”

Yujin gasped and hugged his Mummy tightly. “Daengie is sorry! Daengie will be a good boy and Mummy's hero.”

“If so, don't ever do something dangerous again, okay?” 

Yujin nods his head as Eunbi pulls his duvet up and kisses his forehead.

Sakura came and kissed his forehead too. 

A plastic ball hit his cheek when Sakura the sleeping light.

“Daddy!” 

Sakura quickly ran outside and hugged Eunbi when the lady turned to glare at her mischievous husband.

“Love you babe,” he stole a kiss from Eunbi.



 

Eunbi peeked into her sleeping baby Nako the next morning. She loves watching the peaceful look on the face as if she has nothing to worry about and her only concern only comes after messing the house up.

Eunbi sat slowly on the bed and pulled Nako close to her, singing Nako’s  favourite song (for the month). Nako stirred awake as she felt her Mummy's presence but Eunbi's lullaby calmed her away.


 

‘Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up

Don't you ever grow up

Just stay this little

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up

Don't you ever grow up

It could stay this simple

 

And no one's ever burned you

Nothing's ever left you scarred

And even though you want to

Just try to never grow up’


 

“Whatever happens, you will always be my baby girl,” she kissed the girl's forehead and went to sleep hugging Nako tight in her arms.



 

**********


 

“Hi Mammi. Why Mammi call Cho?” the little girl took a seat on her Mummy’s lap  inside the mini office of their home. Eunbi had called out for Nako to come to the room and the little girl wondered what the fun did she got into to be called

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter