Chapter 20

Perfect Imperfections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Where's my lunch?"

A brazen question was thrown at Hyukjae as he had expected. The Lee was currently waiting for Donghae in his office because the younger said he had to check something first. Hyukjae sighed, looking at annoyed Heechul in front of him putting his hands on his hips.

 

 

"I'm sorry, Hyung. But-"

"What? Your brother is busy? He couldn't prepare me lunch as he did for almost a whole week the last time?"

 

 

If Hyukjae's shifting his weight to one of his legs restlessly was the evidence, it seemed to Heechul that the younger was nervously hiding something. As he waited for Hyukjae to at least say something to ease his worries, a weak nod answering his sarcastic remark earlier was all that he got.

 

"Sure he is, he even doesn't have time to answer my call nor reply my messages," Heechul scoffed. He was getting infuriated, feeling like he was being toyed once again. It had been three days that Jungsoo suddenly vanished after their last meeting at his apartment. As if the CEO suddenly wanted to cut ties with him, his calls and messages were left unanswered.

Part of him was eased because Jungsoo's absent could make his heart rest for a while from always guarding up. However, there was no need to lie to himself and Heechul knew perfectly that his whole heart was hurting as he thought of so many possibilities underlying Jungsoo's sudden disappearing. He was mulling over his attitude; was it too harsh? Or was Jungsoo never serious from the start? Where did it go wrong? Feeling that his anxiety was slowly killing him, he dared himself to make Hyukjae open up.

 

 

"A question for a question."

 

 

Hyukjae snapped at the designer upon hearing the sudden proposal. He was silently observing why Heechul dead wanted to know about his brother's wellbeing. He knew he couldn't escape.

"What do you mean, hyung?"

"Answer my question, honestly, and vice versa."

 

Hyukjae pulled back his hair covering his forehead as he was frustrated that he couldn't keep his promise to his brother. Sighing, he finally nodded. As soon as the younger gave the affirmation, Heechul wasted no time to shove his dreaded question, "What happened to Jungsoo?"

 

 

 

Hyukjae walked to sit on a couch and motioned Heechul to do the same. After Heechul sitting beside him, he began, "Jungsoo-hyung fainted a few days ago. He was taken to the ER and the doctor said he had massive fatigue due to overworking and too much stress. Apparently, Hyung had nosebleed twice before but he never told me. The hotel's anniversary preparation required him to use his energy physically and mentally. He was discharged from the hospital last night but I insisted that he shouldn't go to work until the day of the anniversary. I assured him that I'd be in the charge of him and he eventually gave in."

 

 

 

Being upset was never enough to describe what Heechul felt, after hearing Hyukjae's ridiculous story, because he was extremely infuriated. The fact that he didn't know a single thing about Jungsoo's condition—making him an outsider— made him feel unimportant.

 

 

 

"Hyung begged to keep this news from you."

"And why is it?"

"I have no right to tell you, hyung. I'm sorry."

 

Heechul leaned back in his seat, closed his eyes as he was breathing heavily. So many things were running wildly inside his mind and he felt so powerless not being able to stop them.

 

"Your turn."

 

Donghae's ex-lover, favorite thing, fear, obsession and any other topic related to his assistant were what Heechul had expected. He lost nothing to share Donghae's little secret to Hyukjae and sweet-talked his assistant would evaporate his sin. What Heechul wasn't ready was what Hyukjae decided to ask.

 

 

 

"Do you love Jungsoo-hyung?"

 

 

 

 

 

][-ooo-][

 

 

 

 

 

"Are you sure it's okay, Hyuk?"

 

Heechul and Hyukjae were in the elevator, going up to Jungsoo's floor. After their talk, they agreed to pay the ill CEO a visit. Although being reluctant at first, Heechul couldn't keep his urge to see with his own eyes that Jungsoo was indeed okay.

 

 

DING

 

 

"I never thought the Kim Heechul could feel unsure over things, to meet my brother it is."

 

Hyukjae leisurely walked out the elevator, suppressing his mocking laugh. A moment later, Heechul's hand had stamped his nape as the older smacked him hard.

 

"Dammit. It hurts, hyung. How can my brother put up with your moodiness?"

"Serves you right, monkey. I don't know how Donghae could bear dating a bratty guy like you."

 

Hyukjae could only laugh at the comment. They both were getting closer and closer each day; he could feel like he had Heechul as his new brother. As they reached the door, Hyukjae scanned his face in the lock device and not long after, a mechanic sound echoed in the hallway— confirming that the face's owner had the right to enter the exclusive apartment.

 

"My job is done here."

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

After watching Hyukjae disappearing to the elevator, Heechul warily entered the apartment. His heart pounded louder the more he walked into the quiet room. Although it was only his second time in the apartment, he could recognize some little details like Jungsoo's balcony, the wide television, and even the family photo.

 

 

"Jungsoo?"

No answer. Heechul stood motionless in front of the owner's room for God knew how long. His mind told him that he was ready to meet Jungsoo again but he knew he would never be. After pondering for a long time, he quietly opened the door. The dimmed room made Heechul conclude that Jungsoo's room had different settings as the light in the rest of the house would automatically be when someone entered the room. Yet, this particular room was embracing the darkness of the dusk. He carefully walked in and that was when he noticed a sleeping form laying on the bed. From the minimum illumination, he faintly examined Jungsoo's serene face, slumbering deeply. Heechul sat on the bed, still keeping his gaze to the motionless man. His heart clenched seeing how saddening Jungsoo looked. The usual smooth forehead was wrinkled by a frown, the usual sun-kissed cheekbones were so pale, and the usual beaming lips were bluish and chapped.

 

Heechul finally couldn't resist anymore. He caressed Jungsoo's lifeless face delicately and he saw the brows twitched a little. The face was stone-cold in his fingertips and it concerned him a lot. Different kinds of medicine were put messily in the side table. A book caught his attention, however, and he retracted his hand from Jungsoo's face to hold the book properly.

 

 

 

83 Things To Put A Smile On Your Lover's Face

 

 

Heechul smiled softly and a soft giggle finally escaped from his lips. There were several pages that folded purposefully and he opened them one by one.

 

 

13. Prepare a lunch, fill their stomach as you fill their heart

29. Insert cute and cheesy message to remind them how much you love them

34. Surprise them with sweet little things

 

 

There were some written notes and Heechul's heart was beating rapidly.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter