Girl of the Prophecy

IZ*ONE SAGA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“YOU’LL BE AWARE WHEN THE DAY COMES IN THE NEAR FUTURE”

***

Wonyoung is sitting in her room, lamenting over the fact that she is away from her beloved sisters for a few days already. She spent all that time to figure out whether she shall help out the merfolk or not. Wonyoung refuse to leave her room as she thought that interacting with Merfolk will affect her decision.

 

“I… Don’t know what to think anymore.”

 

Wonyoung exhaled as she fell onto her bed. She crossed her long limbs across her face as she pondering deeply. She couldn’t help but wonder about the fact that the woman knight used to tell her about their kin getting killed.

 

“Why are they killed? Are there enough reason for people to be able killing others freely?”

 

Wonyoung is utterly confused. She hates it that she cannot simply reject their pleas and urge them to bring her back to the surface. She knows that they will bring harm to her family if she act too rashly but still, she didn't have any clue of the current situation.

 

I need more information but that knight don’t spill much. Now what do I do? At this pace, I might have killed myself if I just blindly accept their offer without knowing more.

 

As she is deep into her thought, a knock is heard from her door. Wonyoung knows that it must be one of those mermaids bring her food for lunch. She had those kind service catered for her as Wonyoung said she wants to be alone without any disturbance. They did provide her with ample food and rest but not being able to exercise as she used to make her body felt sluggish.

 

The new mermaid is certainly different from the previous mermaid who appeared a bit mature. This young one maybe match Wonyoung age or even younger based on her awkward movement while serving Wonyoung food. Seeing the girl who seems scared making Wonyoung get a new idea. 

 

She smiled at the young mermaid as she takes a seat at the dining table set within her room. Rather than a dining table, it is more accurate to say that it is a makeshift of a stack of large, flat stone slab being stacked upon one another until a decent looking flat surface is form, enough to be a place where Wonyoung can have her food. She sat on the shell that is modified to be her chair and ready to dig in. However, upon seeing the young mermaid gulped when she see Wonyoung food, she offered the girl her smile while waving at her to take a seat beside her.

 

“Hey, why don't you join me eat?”

 

Wonyoung called the girl which made the young mermaid flustered. She blinked at Wonyoung and stared the cute baby bunny for a whole minute before vigorously shaking her head.

 

“N-no way I can sit with the Child of Prophecy! I am just a mere servant!”

 

She refused Wonyoung invitation while bowing at the girl. Wonyoung sighed as she saw the girl showed signs of ear towards her just because people keep calling her the Child of Prophecy.

 

“Please, by any means, accompany me eat. I used to eat with my sisters but you know, since I am forcefully brought here, I kinda missing them. Can you do me a favor and join me?”

 

Wonyoung tilted her head as she asked the girl to join her one more time. At first, the girl want to stubbornly reject the offer but she herself never tasted such luxury that Wonyoung got to eat. She is just an orphan who is lucky to be hired as a maid for the Child of Prophecy that is rumored to be able to bring their country salvation that they yearned all this time.

 

She takes a hesitant step towards Wonyoung who is still smiling widely at the girl. She didn’t believe that she will be able to interact with humans, let alone soon to be hero of her country. She thanked everyone she could think about for giving her such grandeur chance to eat tasty food and converse with the Child of Prophecy.

 

They eat normally and the young mermaid eventually relaxed as Wonyoung is good at reading the mood. They are now giggling like some normal girls and Wonyoung smirked internally when she knows that her plan is running smoothly for now. They even speaking about their daily experience and get to know each other's name.

 

“Say Ria. Are there anything new within the Merfolk? I am curious to know about your current condition as I yet to have the chance to walk around, you know.”

 

Wonyoung casually asked the girl while she is cutting down her food. Ria is munching while jerking her eyebrows, trying to squeeze her brain to track any juicy gossip to be shared with Wonyoung. She the left corner of her lips while smiling as she remembered the latest incident that causes uproar within the community lately.

 

“I don't know if this is a good thing for you to hear but as of late, many young merman is missing. They all supposed to come back from hunting in Pothena but none of them return. The back up team which is sent to rescue them also is gone. The knight leader sure is panicked now as our main force to provide food supply is dwindling. Food is scarce nowadays and to eat such a meal like this is a blessing.”

 

Ria chirpily shared with Wonyoung. She didn't forget to express her gratitude for Wonyoung kindness to give an expensive food for a servant like her.

 

“Pothena? What’s that?”

 

Wonyoung put aside her food as she is interested of Ria story. Sure she didn’t expect much when she asked the girl but it turned out that Wonyoung is able to hit the jackpot. This is the information that she wants to hear after all. She needs to find reasons why are the knight are begging desperately for her help but refuse to disclose any information.

 

“Pothena is our hunting ground. I believe human used to call it as dungeon? I am not sure since it has been a long time since human visit here. Had some dispute with human long time ago or that is what older Merfolk told us.”

 

Ria shrugged as she does not have the slightest care of Human-Merfolk relationship at the moment. She needs to focus on surviving above all and have no time to ponder why would Human and Merfolk are fighting each other.

 

“Only between you and me, some of the senior maid said that they overheard about some weird thing happened to our hunter. They all turned into a stone statue like for real! The knight woman that always come for you trying to suppress this matter from reaching the citizens but it seems almost everyone already knows about it.”

 

Ria leaned in and whispered at Wonyoung after she looked around to check whether there are people eavesdropping them. Wonyoung sure had some idea within her head as she heard this certain piece of information from Ria.

 

Can it be? No, better make some study to confirm it.

 

As they had their last gulp of food, Ria excused herself to clean up plates and utensils that Wonyoung used for her lunch. After Ria left, the knight visit Wonyoung again to persuade her into helping them overcoming their crisis.

 

“Maybe I can offer you my help but first, I need to use your library.”

 

Wonyoung firmly told the knight which she comply within a second. She then led the girl to their said Royal Library before leaving Wonyoung alone, just like the girl requested. The baby bunny heaved a sigh as she slumped down at the corner of the room. She combed her hair from falling into her eyes which may obstructed her view.

 

“I can’t do this. I am not strong. Why must I be the Child of Prophecy?”

 

Wonyoung couldn’t help it when her eyes were b with tears. She knows that crying won’t solve any problems but she is tired of putting up a brave front. This is her first time to deal with something without any proper direction.

 

“I just realized that I am pampered all this time. I got the unnies (older sisters) to guide me and sort out any problem arise all this time. Can I do the same thing as them? Am I able to pull off this lonely fight?”

 

Wonyoung wiped off her tears as she tried to calm herself. She rarely cries as it made her feel sluggish but this time, Wonyoung cannot hold her tears. She thought that maybe letting out her cries once in every blue moon is not bad at all. She sure feel at ease than  before.

 

“Well, even if the knight refused to tell me what kind of help she wants from me, I can already guess my enemy. Thanks to Ria, I strongly sure that I will need to face Medusa.”

 

Wonyoung heave an exasperated sigh. She gritted her teeth she feeling a sudden surge of hopelessness filling within her heart. She does hope her guess will be wrong but every clue that she get from Ria so far are all pointing to the sole suspect that she can think.

 

Sure I can defeat it if I am with my sisters but to kill it alone? I doubted that I can do it.

 

Wonyoung grumbles as she grabbed a book about the Merfolk history and settled on a chair. She diligently reading every piece of words hoping that she will find another creature which had the ability to petrified people but to no avail.

 

As she rolled her eyes on the ceiling, Wonyoung turned a page that is describing Medusa characteristics. She knows that Medusa is a woman who had hair like snakes which can turn people into stone if they meet her gaze. The only way to defeat it is by reflecting herself in a mirror.

 

"Tck, it's easier said than done. How do I make sure that she will obediently see her own mirror image? Somebody help me!"

 

Wonyoung:

 

Wonyoung slumped her head onto the table as she pouted. She really have zero interest to jump into a battle alone. She likes working with people and so far Yujin is the only one that suited her fighting styles. They are in sync even though no words are exchanged between them. They just move like what their heart told them to do so and before they can realized, the battle already ended.

 

"Why must I am trapped here without my family. I miss them. I am no Perseus who came defeat Medusa. I am Wonyoung, a cute baby bunny like they always said."

 

She closed her eyes as her heart is aching. She really missed her whole family who always making her feel like she is home.

 

"So, our Perseus bunny, are you missing us that much?"

 

Wonyoung jolted from her seat as she heard that certain familiar voice. Wonyoung let out a sincere smile for the first time since she forcefully brought into Modos. She ran straight into the embrace of the person that she misses all this time.

 

Sakura:

 

"Sakura! What are you doing here? How can you find me?"

 

The baby bunny excitedly bombarded question towards the cherry blossom who is choking in her embrace. She feels like winning jackpots as she finally get to meet her precious sister again.

 

"Uh, surprise? Okay, I am actually messing up a little bit for the last quest."

 

Sakura:

 

Sakura smiled sheepishly at Wonyoung who is staring at her while gaping . She gently pat the giant baby who is lost for almost a week while making gestures asking the girl to sit.

 

"Quest? What quest?"

 

Wonyoung frowned as she blinked confusedly at Sakura. The older girl with medium hair length just chuckled at Wonyoung while scratching her head as she telling Wonyoung about their quest to rescue her.

 

Wonyoung:

***

"Girls, I get this piece of interesting information on how to get Wonyoung back!"

 

A figure stormed into the house hurriedly before her leg lose its steps and she ended rolling into the living room. The atmosphere is silent for a moment before laughter erupting from a certain girl which is contagious towards the others except one person.

 

"You are so clumsy, here, take my hands."

 

The girl looks at the other girl who is smiling with a concerned face before reaching out to the offer by a certain ducky. She smiled awkwardly at the girl before thanking her for not getting back teasing her accident prone nature.

 

"Thank you, Yena."

 

Minjoo mumbled her gratitude at the girl who cooly get back to her place after helping Minjoo. Yujin got a hard pinch from Nako and Chaewon who glared at the girl for laughing at Minjoo. Yujin just sticking her tongue out at them before taking cover behind Chaeyeon.

 

"Don't mind them. What kind of information that you have?"

 

Sakura asked Minjoo as she is intrigued on new finding that Minjoo manage to get. The girl is smiling as there is at least a person that pays attention to her. She moved towards the table and slammed a piece of yellow paper on top of it.

 

"This is what we need to do! The only way to get Wonyoung back."

 

Minjoo emphasize the name that made Yujin flinched and snapped out from her childish action. She and Chaewon hurriedly move beside Sakura and waiting eagerly for Minjoo to explain her words.

 

Eunbi and Chaeyeon are patiently waiting for Minjoo to catch her breath first before letting the girl to elaborate her findings. Nako is standing silently behind Minjoo to see the girl nervously gulping before pointing her finger towards the rewards that the quest offered.

 

"Receiving permission to visit ancient city, Modos? Sweet! How did you get this?"

 

Yena eagerly asked Minjoo with glimmering eyes. Minjoo pointed at Chaewon and Nako who are just shrugging while keeping a straight face. Minjoo sighed before explaining their little finding.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter