Desperate Yabuki Nako

IZ*ONE SAGA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“NEVER LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU. BE YOURSELF. LIVE YOUR LIFE.”

 

***

 

“Yabuki Neko! Let’s go home now.”

 

One shriek voice jokingly teasing her friend as the last school bell rang. She tapped onto her friend’s shoulder and making a gesture with her head. She flashes her cheeky grin toward the petite girl who is still struggling to keep her all belonging.

 

“Hey! How many time do I tell you that I am Nako! Idiot!”

 

Nako glared at her friends while enlarging her eyes, trying her best to look scary. She scoffed off and clicked her tongue as her friends love to as they said she is just like a little kitten.

 

(Neko is cat in japanese. It is a pun of Nako’s name. Nako = Neko. Geddit?)

 

“Where did it goes wrong for me to already stunted at this young age?”

 

Nako is pissed off as she is obviously the smallest and shortest among her friends. Her small stature even make her look younger than her actually age is. Even though people always give her a weird look if she try to buy some teenagers stuff, she also often get some privilege like getting cheaper price for amusement park ticket or movie ticket as people thought her as a primary schooler.

 

Sure, she is frustrated at some point with people messing around about her height and all but Nako decided to ignore all of those as they give her no benefit to throw her tantrum around every time people mocking her. The only thing she can do is embrace herself just who she is. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

“Even you are trying to look like a tiger, you are definitely and eternally a kitten. A cute one if I may add.”

 

Nako gaped after hearing those words.

 

It is not the first time they say Nako is a kitten instead of a cat. Even if they labelled her as a cat, they often tell her that she resemble a sand cat which the adult one looks like a kitten. The kitten? Just a smaller version of the cat. They say it suit her the most.

 

Knowing that she can do nothing to shut this particular idiotic creature, Nako just stab her with her deadly (cute) glares.

 

 

“Never mind with that. Let’s move already! You want to grab some mint chocolate ice cream at the newly opened parlor? My treat!”

 

Her friend added. She fully know that Nako is a little being that live her life to eat every type of ice cream that exist in this world. Of course, nothing beat that petite’s girl love towards mint chocolate, which she will rarely rejecting any offer relating to that particular snack.

 

“REALLY? Then I will make sure to take the biggest cone they offer!”

 

Nako rediscovered her spirit and jumped onto her feet. If she just move slowly before to neatly arrange her belongings into her bag, however, upon hearing the offer, she just quickly stuffed them in one smooth move before walking away at lightning speed. Her eyes already filled with mint chocolate and that make her drooled just a little bit.

 

“Hey, wait for me!”

 

Amazed with Nako’s speed with such a short leg, her friend let out small chuckle and run after energetic Nako.

 

“If only you can run like this during school sports festival, we might actually get a number of win previously!”

 

Her friend gave her honest remarks about Nako. They already held a sports festival earlier this year where students were divided into two team which were team White and team Red. Countless sabotaging were conducted within the shadows in order to get the grand prize which were free pass to the popular barbeque place for a month.

 

Of course people are trying their best to get that precious free food and eat to their heart content and thus, initiating an unseen war between students. Unfortunately, team White which was their team, lost by 20 points and this left such bitter taste for them.

 

“Oh well, I only run if that thing will benefit me. No need to sacrifice yourself for others.”

 

Nako replied coolly. Her answers sound quite harsh but she only speak the truth. Nako never understand people that are risking themselves just to save others.

 

Guess I am not that noble. Whatever.

 

She shrugged her thought and continue her walk towards their school gate. As her friend is tottering behind her, Nako suddenly halted and they collided with each other. Luckily, Nako do not fall from the impact.

 

“Oh hey! Watch it! Why do you suddenly standing like a stump?”

 

Her friend irritated by Nako’s sudden stop. She peeked at Nako and find that her little friend just stood there silently.

 

“What’s wrong? Are you sick?”

 

She questioned Nako about her abrupt peculiar behaviour. She move towards Nako side to get a better view if her friend.

 

“No, stupid. You said you gonna show me the new parlor. As excited I can get, I never know its whereabout.”

 

Nako crumpled her face and bent at her friend. Her face indicate that she want her friend to lead them fast or she will pinch her for good.

 

Understanding Nako’s signal just by reading her face, her friend quickly grabbed Nako's hand and sprint towards their destination.

 

“Whoa! Slow your horses! My legs cannot catching up!”

 

Nako yelled along their journey and clearly ignored by her friend.

 

“You need some exercise before eating!”

 

Her friend replied cheekily. She knows that Nako rarely exercising and sometimes she will just dragged Nako around so that her friend will always be in perfect health.

 

“What an idiot thought!”

 

Nako retorted but somehow managed to follow her friends without tripping along their ways. She panted heavily when they finally arrived at the ice cream parlor. Beads of sweats clearly running on her forehead as they run for about 10 minutes without stop for a breather.

 

“I swear in the name of holy mint choco, if you pull another stunt like that, you are seriously dead!”

 

Nako threatened her friend in between her heavy breath.

 

“Aww, no way you gonna do that with such small body. Come on, let’s get your faves already! It will definitely worth it!”

 

Her friend replied. She seems completely fine without any heavy panting, opposite of Nako which resulted from her daily exercises.

 

“You know what? I HATE YOU!”

 

“I love you too. Let’s order already Nako.”

 

She immediately stop their bickering and drag Nako towards the counter. Fortunately she bring her allowance today as Nako trying to burn a hole of her pocket just now by ordering the biggest cone and expensive topping to compensate her fat loss just now.

 

“You are a monster.”

 

Her friend told Nako as she shaking her almost empty wallet. Nako is pretending like she hear nothing and indulged herself with her beloved ice cream.

 

“Well, you are the one offering me free treats!”

 

She said while biting off her chocolate roll. She munched it slowly to savour the sweet, rich taste that currently conquering her taste buds.

 

Ahh, to be alive. Such a bless.

 

Nako clearly feeling ecstasy over her ice cream. She showed her dreamy face and scooping another spoon of her happy pills. Her friend just watch her silently while shaking her head.

 

“I never get it. Why would people dare to eat that toothpaste-like ice cream? Chocolate is KING!”

 

She mumbled and started digging in her ice cream.

 

“No, you idiot. Only idiot people cannot grasped this holy taste, idiot.”

 

Nako retorted.

 

“You don’t need to address me as idiot for three freaking time while talking, sand cat.”

 

They just glaring at each other and continue eating silently afterwards. Even though their language seems harsh for others, it is their way to express their love towards each other.

They are not that touchy-feely type which always comfort others with loving, sweet words. They prefer to slander each other but will still be there when one needs it.

 

“Ahh! I am so full. Thanks for the free meal, idiot.”

 

Nako said with satisfied expression. She patted her stomach that are currently filled with mint chocolate.

 

“You are welcome, Neko.”

 

Her friend replied shortly as she has no energy left to fight or tease Nako. Eating ice cream somehow make her sleepy and she just want to lay on her bed for now.

 

“Let’s just go home. Knowing you, your bed must filled your head for now.”

 

Nako stood up and quickly gesture her friend to leave too. They walk slowly as they do not want to risk throwing up after getting such excellent snack.

 

“Say, aren’t you excited for the upcoming school festival?”

 

Her friend asked while walking backwards just to face Nako.

 

“Watch your step, idiot. Nah, I just feel normal. Actually I am tired with all these festivals. I just want to live quietly with my mint chocolate.”

 

Nako shrugged. She really want to lead a simple and happy life without wanting something extravagant. Some people even say that she dreams too small, appropriate with her size. Not that she take serious with people and their piece of mind.

 

“O~kay. That is so like you, Neko.”

 

She just fall into silence for a moment and look straight into Nako’s eyes before muttering,

 

“Have you ever imagine how your life will be with some adrenaline rush within it? Maybe you will find it more amusing rather than living those boring life.”

 

Nako just avoided her friend’s gaze just now. She somehow trying her best not to fall into her friend’s thinking or try to retort it. Suddenly atmosphere around them become stiff and they just silently walking home together, drowning in owns thought.

 

“See you tomorrow.”

 

Her friend break the silence and bid Nako goodbye before proceeding towards her house which located just five minutes away from Nako’s.

 

“Yeah, sure.”

 

Nako replied shortly before entering her house.

 

Life with some adventures, huh? Is it fun and worth it?

 

She contemplating with herself before sighing and just drop the subject for now. She do not want to burden her mind with such petty things that give her no benefit.

 

***

“Oi, Neko! Are you even hear what I am saying just now?”

 

Her friend waved in front of Nako, trying to get her attention. Nako seems to space out a lot for today as if something is bothering her mind which is so not Nako-like at all.

 

“What? I am thinking seriously right now. Don’t disturb me, idiot.”

 

Nako clicked her tongue as her friend interfering her deep thought just now. Somehow,her friends words from yesterday keep echoing within her mind even she tried her best to dismiss it.

 

Am I wrong to expect such simple life? People have their own preference right?

 

Nako scratched her cheeks while nodding towards her friend blabbering without actually giving any attention. She just blankly looked at her friend that seems excited somehow.

 

“-and thus, you will definitely come right?”

 

Her friend's sudden question caught Nako off guard. She want to ask what is her friend actually talking all this long but she can imagine that her friend will be really pissed if she do that which leave her no choice but to agree.

 

“Uhh, sure. When will we do it then?”

 

Nako tried her best to sounds like she actually listening just now. Weird enough, her friend lifted her right eyebrow upon getting Nako’s response. She clearly do not anticipate that. She thought that Nako will just shrugged her off and continue with her work but she was wrong.

 

“Whoa, at last you are opening your little boring world for some excitement huh?”

 

“I really get the urge to crack open your head someday and see what do you actually think about me.”

 

Nako replied darkly, feeling quite annoyed with her one and only idiot best friend.

 

“This cat is evolving to be such a monster. When did you change so much?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter