It's You

The Life of the Sixth Member

Being a morning person has many great advantages, including waking up in the morning at a more or less definite time even without an alarm. So, even in the winter you still wake up early in the morning to a dark sky with no sunlight in sight, just like this morning. However, today was different. Today was your guardian, leader, soulmate's "debut" anniversary, the day she was introduced to the world with her stage name for the first time. Irene had been your rock, your shoulder to cry on, your confidant, and none of you would be here today if it wasn't because of her. She always put the members first and know them better than anyone, always looking out for you and protecting you whenever she could. Thus, you wanted to make the day slightly bit more special. 

Red Velvet had been in hiatus for almost a year now, with the exception of some OST and cover here and there, so your group schedule had been the slowest it had ever been since you've debuted as a group. Today was just that day, where no one had any schedule for any photoshoots or meetings and it was the perfect day to celebrate the pillar of the group. The members, without Irene knowing, of course, had planned to surprise her with a collective gift that all of you had thought about for weeks. At first you guys thought it should be Irene's favourite cake but a cake was just not special enough. The leader also had just about everything she needs so she probably doesn't need a materialistic present just for the sake of a present. This year was harder for all of you and even harder for Irene, so she needed something more than that. 

One day Wendy came up with the idea of a bracelet, something subtle that would have a lot of meaning and one that she could wear every day. 

'What should be on the bracelet though? A word? A symbol?' Joy asked in the newly-created group chat. None of you could actually plan it out in person because Irene's with you all the time so that was just out of the question. 

'How about her name? That would be something that's not going to change' Seulgi's idea made you snicker, shaking your head in amusement. 

'However true that is, I think we need something more meaningful' Yeri quickly piped up and you could imagine the eye-roll she had just produced. 

It was silent for a little before an idea popped into your head. You typed the words faster than you had ever done, your mind already picturing where you could get the perfect bracelet and how to customise it. 'How about the infinity symbol? That could represent our love for her and how she's always going to be our leader and strength no matter what?'

'PERFECT!' 

'That's a great idea, Unnie!' 

'I agree. Who's going to buy it?' 

You let out a giddy smile, eyes gleaming in excitement. You're glad you're currently alone in your room or you would seriously raise some suspicion. 'I'll do it! I know just the perfect place.' 

'This is great! Let's treat her for lunch as well. None of us would have any schedule that day, right?' You subconsciously nodded to Wendy's idea.

'Yeah, we're all good, Unnie!'

'Let's make sure we pay for the food this time though, prepare your cards so whoever the fastest can pay first! We'll chip in afterwards. Agreed?' 

'Agreed!'

'Agreed.'

'I agree! Let's get this show on the road!' 

 

True to your words, you made an appointment with said jewellery place after one of your meetings with the new stylist so it wouldn't be suspicious. You made sure you picked the right chain and the right style of symbol for your soulmate, knowing exactly what style she preferred for her jewellery. She doesn't wear them much when she's not on a schedule but this would be something she cherished and actually liked. You were sure of it. 

This morning you woke up to the weight of the leader's slender arms around your waist and her head near your neck, snuggling close into your warm figure. It's currently winter and Irene sleeps a lot in your room during the season for some extra warmth, so you had made sure the present wasn't in your room just in case you accidentally left it in the open or somewhere she would access. 

You raised your free arm to rub the sleep out of your eyes before looking down at the tiny figure next to you, a loving smile forming on your lips. You couldn't help it. After everything all of you had been through, it was the hardest for the leader so you hoped with her present, she'd be constantly reminded of how her strength had helped her members and that they love her forever. You softly kissed the top of her head before pulling away from the embrace, needing to get out to wake the members so you could surprise her. Being the light sleeper that she was though, she woke up immediately when her personal heater was leaning away from her. 

She groaned, causing you to stop. "Where are you going?" 

You chuckled and leaned closer to her again so she could tighten her embrace. You wrapped your arms around her and kissed her temple this time. "I need to go to the toilet, Unnie. Go back to sleep, okay? I'll be back soon." 

She pouted but nodded nonetheless, snuggling into you even more before finally letting you go. You giggled at her cuteness. 

You made your way out of the bed and out of the room very quietly before making your way towards Joy's room. You woke everyone up and when they were all awake and ready, all of you made your way back to your room. You opened the door quietly and walked in, the rest of the members following behind you. Before waking the leader up though, you turned towards Yeri who had a mischievous smile on her face and quickly shook your head no, making the rest snicker and the maknae pouted, her plan of jumping on the bed ruined by her ever so attentive older sister. You knew what she was about to do. 

You settled next to the leader with the members sitting down around her, the added weight of the bed waking her up as she knew you would normally just go back to bed next to her.

"Wake up, Hyun-unnie." You her hair and she groaned softly before opening her eyes to all her members in front of her with excited, loving smiles on their faces. 

"Happy debut anniversary, Joohyun-unnie!" all of you chorused and her eyes widened in surprise, looking at your clock for confirmation on the date. 

"Seven years, huh? That's a long time," Yeri couldn't hold back her teasings and all of you chuckled, excluding the leader who had a playful glare on her face. 

"Yah, Kim Yerim! No joke about my age." Her deeper voice caused by lack of use during the night made the statement even funnier.

All of you laughed while the leader sat up in bed, laughing along with you. Joy, who had the small velvet box in her hands, sat closer next to you and the leader. She offered it to Irene, a sweet smile on her face.

"This is from all of us. Open it, Unnie." 

Irene's eyes widened in surprise but she took the box regardless, knowing the members wouldn't relent. "What is this?" 

"This is to show you that we'll always love you and you'll always be our strength, our pillar, no matter what happens," Wendy piped up and Irene looked at her for a little before proceeding to open the box, a gasp escaping her lips.

Inside the box was the bracelet you had picked out, completely up her alley, with an infinity symbol woven into the chain so elegantly. She loved how elegant and simple it was, immediately knowing it was your choice because she knew only you who completely understood her taste. She's certain she'd be able to wear this even in photoshoots. 

"This is beautiful." 

"We thought this would be something that you could wear every day and the symbol represents our love for you, Unnie. Every time you see it, please remember that we love you and we'll always be there for you no matter what," Seulgi, her best friend of 11 years, reminded her and you could see the tears that were making their way into her eyes. 

You were sure Irene was having flashbacks of everything that had happened as a leader of the representative girl group. 

"And I hope it'll always remind you we are forever grateful for what you have done for us, Hyun-unnie. Your strength, perseverance and love have gotten Red Velvet to where we are now and we wouldn't be here without you." At your statement, she finally cried for the first time in front of her members and you all cooed, leaning closer to form a group hug. 

"You know we love you a lot, right, Unnie?" Yeri asked and Irene cried even more, finally able to show what she deemed as weakness in front of her members, knowing that she could. Before, she wouldn't cry in front of them, ever, because she needed to show strength and let them know that she's strong enough to be there for them. Now, the role was reversed. 

"Hey, this is the first time you cry in front of us! Finally!" 

You all laughed tearily at Seulgi's excited claims, chuckling in amusement. Seeing the leader cry made all of you cried and you understood why it was so hard for the leader to show this side of her in front of her members. You hated seeing your members cry. 

After the tears had calmed you pulled back from the hug with a kiss to the leader's cheek, causing the members to pull back as well. Irene gave you a loving smile before taking out the bracelet from the box and looking at the members with her warm smile, causing all of you to smile as well. 

"Thank you so much for this gift. I'll wear it every day and be reminded of your words. Thank you for being my sisters and people that I can always count on no matter the circumstances. I love you." 

"Awww Unnie we love you too!"

"Yeah, we love you a lot, Unnie!" 

Irene chuckled and wrapped the bracelet around her left wrist, offering it to you so you could clasp it. You gave her your signature smile after you were done, a silent conversation going on through your eyes. 

"Right, we're treating you to lunch today, Unnie! Where do you want to eat?" 

"What? No! You don't have to do that!" 

Yeri whined, "Come on, Unnie! Let us treat you this one time!" 

"Yeah, Unnie, please! We really want to do this!" 

Knowing she couldn't say no to her daughter and the daughter she said she never wanted she sighed and all of you cheered, knowing she had given up.

"Let's eat where we had last year's Christmas dinner, then. I like that place." 

"Yay!" all of you cheered in excitement and Irene couldn't help but smile, looking at the pure joy in her sisters' faces. 

"I'll book!" Joy exclaimed in excitement, running out of your room to get her phone. 

"I'll cook breakfast! Seulgi, come help me?" 

"Sure, Seungwan-ah!" 

You opened your mouth to protest but the look on Wendy's face shut you up, a smile forming on your lips as you nodded. 

"Yeri, wanna learn how to make fluffy pancakes?" 

The said girl lit up and she nodded furiously, causing you to chuckle in adoration. "Yes, please! I want to make Eli-unnie's favourite pancake!" 

Yeri kissed your cheek goodbye and the three of them made their way out to the kitchen, chatting excitedly. That left the two of you. You turned towards Irene to see she was already looking at you. 

"Thank you for choosing the bracelet, Eli-ah. This is perfect." 

You were surprised, eyes widening slightly in response. "How did you know it was me?"

Irene let out a playful scoff, bumping her shoulder to your arm. "How could I not know? Come on, I knew it was you the moment I opened it. Only you understand my taste when it comes to these things." 

"Fair enough. I'm really glad you like them, Unnie. You know we meant every word we said, right?" 

She looked up from fiddling with her bracelet, her special smile on her face. "Of course, that's why I cried. You know I never cry in front of all the members." 

"I know, I'm proud of you, Hyun-unnie." You wrapped an arm around her shoulder and she leaned into your chest, snuggling close to you. "I hope now you know it's okay to share your concerns with us and even if you're crying, you can do that in front of us too. It's not a weakness, Unnie, it's a strength to be able to show your emotion in front of others. I'm very proud of you, we all are." 

You let her melt into your embrace as she wiped her tears on your clothes, embracing her even tighter to give her warmth. 

"I love you, Eli. Thank you for always being here." 

"I love you too, Unnie, thank you for everything. Let's celebrate you today, okay?" 

She knew what you meant. "Okay." 

You kissed the top of her head as you promised to yourself to always show how loved and appreciated your leader was. Together, forever.