Yeri's Room

The Life of the Sixth Member

Yeri had always been the cheerful part of the group. It wasn't surprising that she has such a strong presence in variety shows, and it wasn't surprising that she would host her own show someday. When the time came, she delivered the news to you personally albeit with some concerns hidden underneath her happiness. 

It's been months since your last group promotion and the members were busy with their solo schedules. Joy had been busy with her AVEDA campaign and collaboration she's been working on with a certain rapper, Seulgi and Irene had been preparing for their sub-unit though no news had been delivered to the fans as of yet, and Wendy had been recovering plus recording her upcoming OST. You knew Yeri had something brewing because she had had some meetings with the company whilst you were in the process of validating your contract for your upcoming drama, so you figured she would deliver the news when the time was right.

Which was today, apparently. 

You were at the company in a meeting room all by yourself, skimming through the possible script after a meeting regarding your contract. This project was something you had been thinking about doing and when the opportunity came when the casting director wanted to cast you, you didn't hesitate to express your interest. You were very interested in the role and the plot, so you pushed through to make it happen. 

In the midst of reading, the door suddenly opened just slightly to let a small head poked through. "Eli-unnie?" 

Your head snapped up and you looked towards the door, slight surprise in your eyes. "Yeri-ah? What are you doing here?" 

Yeri opened the door wider to let herself through and closed it with a wide, excited grin on her face and you just knew whatever she had been planning had come through. 

"I'm going to be a radio DJ in my own show!" With that your eyes widened in surprise, glee clearly written on your eyes. "I just have to tell you in person! I'm so excited-" she was cut off by the tight hug you were giving her. 

She hugged you back tightly, face nuzzled in your chest near your heart. "Oh my God, this is amazing! I'm so happy for you, little sister. You deserve this."

Yeri was touched. She had been proving to herself over the years of the things she was actually capable of doing and one that she had her eyes on was hosting her own show. She knew that she was interesting enough to engage an audience on her own and plus if she could invite guests, she'll be able to hook the audience even more with her genuineness, humour, and sincere interest of topics. 

She snuggled further in your embrace. "Thank you, Unnie, that means a lot," her muffled voice reached your ears and you chuckled, pulling back from the hug. 

You looked at her in the eyes and tried to decipher the emotions she was feeling. You detected a great amount of happiness and excitement but you could see the hidden insecurities she had over the new prospect. 

"That's not the only thing you wanted to tell me, right Yerimmie?" Your eyebrow lifted in question and Yeri spluttered for a second before huffing, pouting adorably. 

"How can you read me so well, honestly," she grumbled. 

You chuckled, kissing her forehead. "That's my job as an older sister, Yeri. Now tell me."

She played with the hem of your business shirt (you had to look proper for the meeting with the people from the show) while looking down and you just waited until she was ready to say something. 

She eventually looked up and the sight that greeted her convinced her she would not be judged. "Can I really do this, Unnie? Will the fans be interested enough to watch my show every week or every time the show is held?" 

You just stared at her for a few seconds. "Why did you want to get into this in the first place?" 

"Well," she sighed. "I'm really interested in becoming a radio DJ because I like talking and I'm interested in the topics my friends and I discuss, so I thought it would be nice to share that to an audience as well." You could tell she grew more confident in what she was saying. "I'm funny and genuine, so I think I can capture and make the audience stay while I host the show," she looked into your eyes with determination clearly written in her expression.

"I can do this."

With that, you let out a wide and warm smile appeared on your lips. "There you go, dongsaeng-ah. You already know the answer to all of your questions." 

She giggled and smiled widely, though it slightly dimmed after a while. "Do you think I can do this though, Unnie? Should you be doing this instead? I mean, I think you'd have more success than I would." 

You frowned, displeased that she would compare herself to you. "Hey, none of that. If you're confident in this then I have nothing to worry about," you hugged her again. "I agree with all that you've said about yourself and you make anything work if you put your mind to it, Yerim-ah, I've seen you do that countless times." 

"And don't compare yourself to me. If you think I would be better then maybe that could be true but I'm not too interested in it, you are, and I think interest plays a huge part in anyone's success." 

You pulled back from the hug and made sure she got the message. "You're just like your mother sometimes," your statement made her furrow her eyebrows in confusion,  making you smirk. "Doubting and downplaying yourself even though you knew you could do it." 

The youngest member whined, slapping your arms in retaliation. "Unnie, don't be so mean." 

"You know I love you, Yerimmie."

She smiled, snuggling closer into your embrace. "I know. I love you too, Eli-unnie."

 

After that, her programme was in motion and she filmed a few episodes of the whole process and the first episode of her radio show. In it, she called her little sister and Seulgi, showing the relationship she had with her siblings and the love they had for her. You, of course, was included and that warmed the fans' heart after Yeri told everyone how supportive you had been. 

After talking for a little while with the self-proclaimed second eldest child of Red Velvet, Yeri was about to hang up the call before her eyes widened in realisation. 

"Oh, Unnie, wait! Are you at the dorm? Is Eli-unnie there?" She'd call you either way but if Seulgi could check whether you'd pick up her call or not, she wouldn't mind that. 

Seulgi rolled her eyes in good nature, although she was already moving from her bed. "Fine, I'll check. The things I do for you, Yerimmie." 

"Unnie, thank you~" Yeri replied cutely then giggled, knowing what Seulgi said was true. She's the baby of the group, what can she say. 

Some rustling was heard before the mic picked up her muffled voice. "Eli-ah?" 

"Yes?" You looked up from your guitar.

Seulgi put the phone back right beside her ear. "She's home, Yeri-ah."

Yeri visibly brightened, making the staff behind the camera chuckle. "Okay, please let her know that I'll be calling right after this!" 

Seulgi chuckled at your questioning look, shaking her head and letting you know through her gaze that she'd tell you later. "Will do." 

"Bye Unnie, I love you." 

"Bye, I love you." 

Seulgi removed the phone from her ear and disconnected the call before opening the door a little wider so she could enter. "Yeri's filming the first episode of her radio show, she'll call you right after this." 

You chuckled but nodded nonetheless. "She's too cute." 

"She is," your sister agreed and leaned in to give you a hug, squeezing you lovingly. "Come to my room after you're done?" 

You pulled back from the hug to really look at her, trying to analyse whether there was something wrong. You saw none but you could see that she wanted to talk about something so you just gave her a warm smile, nodding happily. 

"Sure thing, Unnie! I'll bring some ice cream too." 

Seulgi grinned and her eyes disappeared as they turned into crescents. This was your favourite smile of hers. "Yay!" 

Your phone rang and you picked it up, looking at your little sister's name on the screen. Seulgi made her way out as you accepted the call. 

"Hello, dongsaeng-ah." You greeted her immediately, forgoing the usual greeting anyone would do when they pick up the phone. 

Yeri brightened even more, giggling cutely into the phone. "Eli-unnie, hello!" She looked so excited just hearing your voice, which made the staff cooed and laughed. 

"You're now on Yeri's Room broadcast!" 

You straightened your back subconsciously, a trait you'd picked up over the years when you're put into the spotlight. "Hello, I'm Red Velvet's Eli and Yeri's favourite older sister!"

Yeri laughed loudly this time though she didn't deny your claim. "Unnie, what was your first impression on me when you got to know me?" 

You smirked. "Hm, tough question," you teased the maknae and she whined, making the staff behind the camera laugh.

"You were bright, someone so lively but mature at the same time. You like to take care of others in subtle ways and even though you like to tease others, you just wanted them to feel comfortable around you." 

Yeri's eyes watered listening to your words. She was touched and she knew you knew your members very well but she never quite realised how much you understood her.

"You're also a sensitive person. You might not show it but you ponder about what others say a lot, just like me." You tried not to open too much about her, so you ended it there. "Overall, I'm very thankful for you and I hope we can be sisters for a long time." 

With that, the first tear rolled down her cheek and she wiped it quickly albeit carefully, trying not to mess up her make up too much. One of the staff got up and slid her tissues, her nodding gratefully. 

It was silent for a bit and you frowned, concern filling your gaze. "Yerim-ah, don't cry! Unnie didn't mean to make you cry." 

The staff gasped (Yeri wasn't making any sounds so they were confused as hell as of to how you knew Yeri was crying when you couldn't even see her) and Yeri giggled tearily looking at their reaction.

"How did you know I'm crying?" 

You scoffed. "I'm your sister, of course I know." 

It was silent again before Yeri broke it with another question. "Unnie, did you know that you made this show happen?" 

"Eh?" You sounded surprised even through the phone. "What do you mean? I didn't do anything!" 

Yeri made sure her tears were all gone before replying, a smile evident in her voice. "When I was first offered the idea I wasn't too sure about it but then I remembered the conversation we had the night before." 

You furrowed your eyebrows. "The night on the balcony?"

Yeri nodded. "Yeah, the night you told me about how nervous you were about starring in a drama, something you've never done before but you went for it anyway because you were truly interested and it was something you know you'd regret not trying." 

"I felt the same about being a radio DJ but I thought if you could face your fears and try what you wanted, why can't I?" 

You never knew how much impact you had on your little sister and although you felt ridiculous at the time for sharing your worries with her (you never liked burdening others with your problems but she knew something was going on, so she forced you to confide in her), you were glad she could relate to it and it helped her somehow. 

"So, I want everyone to know how this show basically comes to live and I want to thank you publicly for always being there for me, for always believing in me, and for being my sister. I love you, Eli-unnie."

You realised you were tearing up so you blinked rapidly, laughing it off in an attempt to not cry. "Now you're making me cry." 

The staff and Yeri laughed. "Thank you for your kind words, Yerimmie. I'm glad you were confident to try something new and I hope everyone who hears this will get inspired to do the things they've always wanted to try but maybe too scared to do so."

"Make sure it's legal though, I would not be responsible for any illegal activity happening." You couldn't help but add which made everyone laugh out loud. That was so you. 

Yeri didn't want to end the call but she had to get on with her show. "Thank you for being here, Unnie, I have to, unfortunately, end the call. Yeeunnie said hi, by the way, she misses you."

You grinned, already picturing the girl in your mind. "I'll call her after this. Thank you DJ Yeri for having me! Thank you as well to the staff for taking care of our Yerim, I'll make sure to send something in the future!" 

The staff grinned and nodded, amazed at how kind everyone is in Red Velvet. Truly the nation's girl group indeed.

"I'll see you when I get back, Eli-unnie. I love you!" 

"I love you too, Sweetheart. Bye!" 

The call ended and she heaved a sigh, a smile on her face. "Everyone, that's my favourite Unnie." 

She knew the members would surely be offended by what she said but she stood by her statement. You're her favourite older sister and she hoped you got to be in her life for a long, long time. She hoped every member could; you're one big family, after all.