What the World Had Been Waiting For

The Life of the Sixth Member

When you found out about the news, you were ecstatic. Your guardian and older sister would debut in a sub-unit they had dreamed of and the other members couldn't be happier. 

"Unnies, that's amazing! Congratulations!" You squealed before wrapping both smaller figures in your embrace, making the others chuckle in amusement. 

Joy, Wendy, and Yeri joined the hug you guys were having in the middle of the living room, which prompted chuckles from everyone involved. 

"Thank you guys, we really appreciate it." Seulgi pulled back from the hug first and gave all of you her signature warm smile, making you coo. 

The bear's just too cute for her own good.

"Of course, Seulgi-ah. We'll support you both in any way we can. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need to, okay?" Wendy was looking at Irene in particular, making her duck her head in embarrassment. 

The girl was known to hide her pain and deal with her hardships by herself. 

You nudged the aforementioned girl in emphasis, making her look up and glare at you playfully. You only winked in response. 

"Right, we'll keep that in mind." 

Yeri clasped her hands in excitement. "What's the current progress?" 

 

The following months were followed by the duo getting ready for their debut and the rest of you to have solo schedules, while you also wait for Wendy to heal completely. 

Seulgi and Irene took dance classes at Tapaha while recording their new album. You could see how hard they're working for it but you can also see how much pressure they were feeling, especially the leader. 

"Unnie, what's going on? Talk to me." 

Irene huffed, at the moment hating the fact that you know her so well. Too well, sometimes. "I don't know, Eli-ah, I'm just nervous. I'll be fine." 

You glared at her and walked closer to her figure, keeping eye contact. "Don't pull that on me, Hyun-unnie. Spill." 

She glared back at you before sighing in defeat, her gaze softening and shoulders slumping in surrender. "I'm just..." she sighed, sitting down on her bed whilst pulling you down with her. She wrapped her arms around your waist and put her head on your chest, sighing with relief this time. You hugged her back and kissed the top of her head, trying to give her as much comfort as you could. 

"I have an idea of what you might be feeling but you know yourself best, Unnie." 

"I know." 

You stayed in the embrace for a while, enjoying the comfortable silence. Moments like this made you think how sometimes you act like you're older than the leader, which made you smile slightly. 

"I'm scared of how people are going to react. I'm gonna be singing a lot more and dancing a lot more. Are people going to like it? Will they like my voice? Will they accept me without the rest of Red Velvet?" 

You hugged her tighter, trying to convey the love you have for your leader. "Unnie, the fans have been waiting for the two of you in a sub-unit for years. They love you for who you are and they're so happy you finally get time to shine with your singing and dancing. They know how much you love performing and they can't wait to see you on stage with Bear-unnie." 

She giggled slightly at the nickname you had for Seulgi. "They love you, they'll accept you for who you are Unnie. You know the ones that say you're only pretty with no talent in singing or dancing are frankly, stupid people. You survived in SM during all those years purely because of your talents. Don't forget that." 

The conversation lapsed into a comfortable silence which you both enjoyed. It's never awkward between you, even if you were only staying silent and just gazing into each other's eyes, having a silent conversation only you two understand. 

"Thank you, El. You're the best." 

You pulled back so she could see the smirk on your face, though you wanted her to see the confidence you had on her so she could build her own as well. "I know. That's why I'm your favourite, right Unnie?" 

She blushed and punched your shoulder in retaliation, making you laugh loudly. She gazed at you with a loving, warm gaze. "Right, don't tell the others or I won't hear the end of it." 

You kissed her cheek. "Unnie, I think they're aware of that already." 

Well, what could she say? You are her favourite.