Lean on Me

The Life of the Sixth Member

Wendy joined the company two years after you did and you could say that she came in with a bang. Before her arrival, there was a buzz within the company that a trainee from Canada would be joining in. Considering the company does not accept many foreign trainees (well not completely foreign considering most of them are still Korean), it created quite the buzz and you couldn't help but be excited. 

"Hyun-unnie, have you heard that a new trainee is coming in?" Joohyun looked at you and raised an eyebrow. 

"How did you know this before me?" She teased, putting her arm around your shoulders. She's going to milk this as much as she could before you towered over her. She could tell it would happen. 

You rolled your eyes in response. "My roommates were talking about it during dinner yesterday. What do you think she'll be like?" 

She shrugged as best as she could. "I heard that she has a really nice voice but that's about it. Why are you so curious?" 

"I don't know, I get a good feeling from this." 

She looked at you strangely. "How do you have a good feeling, or any feeling for that matter, when you haven't even met the person?" 

She knew for a fact that you have good gut feelings and have proven it when you met someone that turned out to be troublesome and said they would be after only interacting with the person once. 

You could only shrug. "I don't know. We'll see if I'm right with this one." 

The thought of the new trainee left your mind for the rest of the week considering the monthly assessment was coming and you had to prepare for it. After passing it with flying colours and just more things to improve on, a new week started and it's time for the new trainee to join practice for the first time. When you came in with Irene and Seulgi, the atmosphere was filled with curiosity that you just couldn't miss. Not long after you sat down, the door opened to reveal the coach and a smaller figure behind him, looking a bit hesitant to reveal her face. 

The coach went in and she followed, finally facing the crowd of trainees after the coach gestured her to stop. 

"Everyone, this is the new trainee. Please, introduce yourself." 

The girl let out a beaming albeit nervous smile and bowed a ninety-degree bow. "Hello, my name is Son Seungwan, you can call me Seungwan or Wendy. Please take care of me." 

Unknowingly you smiled, knowing you were right. 

When practice ended, Seulgi approached Wendy just like she did you two years ago. 

"Hi, Seungwan. I'm Seulgi," she greeted with her signature eye smile. 

Wendy grinned back and bowed. "Hello, Seulgi-ssi. You can call me Wendy."

"Oh, okay Wendy." You could tell Seulgi was still tasting the foreign name in her tongue. "Can I know what year you were born in?" 

"I'm a 94-liner," with that Seulgi's eyes widened, prompting you and Irene to look at each other and giggle. 

"What?! Me too! When's your birthday?" Wendy's eyes widened even more and you and Irene could only let out your laughs. 

Her facial expressions were no joke. 

"February 21st, you?" 

"Mine's February 10th!" 

"Omo we're like twins!" Wendy exclaimed, which made sense after you think about it. They're like twins that are eleven days apart. 

"We're going to be good friends, I'm sure of it!" Seulgi sounded so sure it was cute. 

"Oh, I have two people I want to introduce you to," Seulgi added, looking back towards you and Irene and gestured for the both of you to come. 

You could feel Irene becoming shy so you took her hand to make sure she knew she didn't have to be uncomfortable. She squeezed your hand in thanks. 

When you stood beside Seulgi, you could finally admire Wendy's appearance and she's beautiful. With her wide eyes, high cheekbones, and a side profile to kill for, she was simply a natural beauty. 

You smiled shyly, waving a hand that wasn't holding Irene's. You might not be showing it but you were excited to have someone that could talk in English. Not to disrespect Amber, Krystal or even Tiffany and Jessica, but you are in a different group after all and they are all your seniors so you don't really interact with them much. Well, Amber is an exception. 

"This is Joohyun-unnie or Irene, she is our senior so she's your unnie," she gestured to Irene first and the said girl smiled shyly, replying back to the bow Wendy gave. 

"Hello, Seungwan. You can call me Joohyun-unnie or Irene-unnie." 

Wendy's eyes were wide in wonder and you could only guess that it was because of Irene's ethereal beauty and her unexpectedly soft voice. 

"If you call me Seungwan then I'll call you with your Korean name, Unnie," Wendy had a slight blush on her cheeks, making you smile even wider. 

This unnie is so soft. 

"This one is Eli, or Eliza. She's our junior, a 97-liner," Wendy's eyes turned to you with a curious gaze and you could assume what she was thinking. Why do you have an English name? 

"Hello, Unnie. You can call me Eli," you greeted in English with a teasing smile which turned into a smirk once Wendy's face turned shocked, giving her a bow. 

She bowed back before straightening up and replying in English as well, seemingly happy to find someone else speaking the language. "Wow I love your accent! Where are you from?" 

"I was born in Melbourne, Australia, and moved here two years ago." 

"That's so cool... I'm so happy to find someone speaking English!" She grinned. 

You grinned back. "There are some people who are from America and they speak English. I can introduce you later if you'd like." 

Wendy nodded fervently. "Yes, please! Thank you so much." 

"It's no problem, Wendy-unnie." 

Throughout the interaction, you didn't notice Irene and Seulgi looking at you like proud sisters they were. They were happy that you didn't shy back from the interaction and seemed to welcome Wendy. 

Seulgi clapped her hands together, turning all of your attention to her. "I'm hungry. Who else wants to get dinner?" 

You smiled while linking your right arm with Irene's left, happy to have a new friend. 

 

After that, your group turned into four and Wendy was another mothering figure in your life. Well, more like in everyone's life but you hold a special place in her heart. 

You introduced her to Amber and Krystal, as promised, and Tiffany and Jessica introduced themselves to Wendy one day when they were visiting the trainees. You became an English group that every time you see each other you only speak English to each other. Irene and Seulgi usually just stared at you like they were watching a tennis match because they couldn't understand much. 

Two years after she joined, you were informed that you would debut as a five-member group though there would be six of you the next year. The group would have Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy (a trainee that was training in secret), you, and later would be joined by Yeri. Considering she was still too young, the company thought adding her later would be the best idea without delaying your debut. 

By that time, you were in the company for four years, Irene for five, Seulgi for seven, and Wendy and Joy for two. Just before debuting, you saw Wendy walking back-and-forth while biting her nails, looking very nervous.

"Wan-unnie? What's wrong?" you greeted her in English to make her feel comfortable. 

She looked at you in surprise before shaking her head, trying to lie to you it seemed. "No, no. Everything's fine," she tried to let out a convincing smile. 

You shook your head no and came to her, hugging her warmly. "You know you can't and shouldn't lie to me, right? You can tell me what's wrong, Unnie." 

She hugged you back and let out a deep sigh. "I'm just... I'm just really nervous about this. I've only trained for two years and my dancing isn't the best. What if people think I don't deserve to be in the group? You're all so good and beautiful and I can't even compare.." 

You hugged her even tighter before pulling back so you could see her. "Son Seungwan. Wendy Son. You are one of the best singers, if not the best singer, I've ever had the pleasure of hearing and you should be confident about that. Yes, you might not be the best dancer but that's why we have Seulgi-unnie for," she giggled, her eyes tearing up. "We can't be the best at everything even with many many years of training and that's okay because we have our own strengths. Your dancing isn't bad and we can always learn and practice even after debuting. This is not the end, Unnie, this is just the beginning." 

She's crying at this point and you began to tear up too. "I love you, Unnie, and I have a tremendous amount of trust in you but those won't do anything unless you feel the same about you." 

She hugged you again and just cried to your shoulder. Joohyun, who you knew was keeping an eye from the sidelines stared at you and you stared back, communicating through your eyes. 

'I got her,' you tried to convey with your eyes and she seemed to get the message because she let out a beautiful smile (goddamn you don't know even until today how you survive those smiles, honestly), and left, knowing you could handle it. 

You hugged Wendy tighter to you and ran your right hand on her hair and back, trying to comfort her. 

"Thank you," she mumbled into your shoulder after she stopped crying. "You really made me feel better. How is it that you're younger but so mature?" 

You smiled softly. "That's just how I am, Unnie. I have my moments." Your smile widened hearing her giggle. 

"When you have any problem, just know that you can come to me, okay? I promise you, you're not burdening me. I would never feel burdened by you," you added softly knowing how overly-considerate she could be and how she always feels like she's burdening someone with her problems. 

She hesitated but nodded nonetheless. "I know. Thank you, Liza. I love you.

You smiled at her nickname, different from everybody else. "I love you too, Unnie."