Brownies

The Life of the Sixth Member

"Wan-unnie, what are you making?" You found her preparing to bake in the kitchen. 

She looked up in surprise, the frown on her lips turning into a small smile. "Sorry, was I being too loud?" 

You smiled warmly, shaking your head no. "Nah, I missed you so I came to see where you were," you replied in English, noticing how she seemed down for some reason. 

Wendy baking means two things: either she's happy or she's sad and based on her frown earlier it meant the latter. 

She laughed a genuine laugh, throwing her head back. "Where do you get all that cheesiness?" 

You winked. "You, of course. Where else?" 

She continued to giggle before finishing setting up, gesturing to the utensils in front of her afterwards. "You wanna help?" 

Your eyes widened in surprise. "Really? Can I?" 

She nodded. "Of course, I was planning on making some brownies." 

Hearing the news made you jump in happiness. "I love your brownies! Of course, I'll help!" 

She shook her head in amusement before taking another apron from the hanger and gesturing with her hand for you to come over. After helping you put it on, she explained what needed to be done and how you could help. 

After some time doing your own tasks, you couldn't help but ask. "Are you okay, Wan-unnie?" 

Her first response was to deny anything was wrong. "Of course, why do you ask?" 

"You know I'm good at reading people, right?" You gave her a teasing smile, wanting to release some of her uneasiness. "You can't hide from me." 

She sighed heavily before letting out a smile. "Yeah, I thought it was worth a shot.

You giggled. "It really wasn't, Unnie. Now, do you want to tell me what's up? It's okay if you don't," you shrugged cooly. "I just thought maybe talking to me could help you out a little." 

She stayed silent for a while before finally letting out a sigh and stopping what she was doing, turning towards you and prompting you to do the same. "I just... I found some comments online that weren't too kind and I know I shouldn't take them to heart, but it's hard seeing those people talking about my flaws when they don't know what I've been through to get to this point!" 

She took a deep breath before letting it go, hanging her head. "It's just really hard sometimes and made me question if everything I'm doing is even worth it anymore if what I'm gonna get is another criticism for not doing enough." By the end of that sentence, her voice had cracked. 

You knew how hard this had been on her and knew how much it had hurt her seeing those kinds of comments about her, especially about her voice and body. After those malicious comments about her body, she went into an extreme diet that made her lose what you thought was unnecessary weight considering she wasn't fat in the slightest. Yes, she might have gained weight after debut but you all did. Why was she the one receiving hate? 

"Unnie, those comments are meant to bring you down and shadowed what most of the fans are actually saying about you. They're really proud of how far you've come and accepts you just the way you are," you smiled. "What's important to them is that you're healthy and happy. Trust me, I've read a lot of comments and posts complimenting you and how proud they are of you." 

She stayed silent though her head was no longer down and the look on her eye changed slightly. 

"I know it's hard to go through, believe me, I know, but you're not alone. There are a lot of people who support you and love you just as you are, craziness and all," you teased, feeling accomplished when she let out a genuine laugh. 

"The point is, you are very much loved and should accept it. Yes, criticism is important but you also have to filter them, taking into consideration the constructive criticism and ignoring the negative ones. It's hard but you can do it Unnie, I know you can," you finished with a warm grin. 

"I would hug you but I'm covered in flour, so..." you continued, making her laugh and she shook her head. 

"I'll hug you after we finish these brownies!" 

After that you both continued to what you were doing beforehand, Wendy pausing slightly. "Liza?" 

You hummed in response. "Thank you." 

You smiled, looking at her. "Anytime, Unnie. Anytime." 

You really hope the next time you help her bake it would be because she's happy. You hate seeing her so down.