Really?!

The Life of the Sixth Member

There's an ongoing argument between the members that even the fans knew, and it's about mint choco ice cream. Now, the 94-liner best friends/soulmates can go on for days about how it tastes like toothpaste or it's useless, but the maknae line could also go on for days about why it's good, especially Joy and you. Your favourite flavour is mint choco and when you first got to know Irene and Seulgi, they were so flabbergasted that you blushed under their stares, pink hues decorating your chubby cheeks. 

"Is... is that wrong?" Your voice was so small the two older sisters immediately came closer to you, each arm around your then smaller figure. 

"No, of course not!" Seulgi reassured though her face showed her disdain towards the prospect of having to eat that flavoured ice cream. 

Irene looked at you both with amusement, shyly covering as she laughed softly. This was the time when you just got closer to each other so she wasn't as open as she was now. 

"Seulgi-yah, why do you look in pain?" 

Seulgi immediately whined, going closer to Irene to nudge her in protest. "Unnie, why are you teasing me? I'm not the one who likes mint choco ice cream!" 

"Yah!" Irene immediately defended you, slapping the second youngest on the arm, eyes flitting over to your shy figure. You must felt bad for liking something no usual people did. Realising her slip up, Seulgi went gasped before wrapping you in her arms tighter, sharing her warmth and reassurance. 

"I'm sorry Eli-ah. Not a lot of people might like it but it's nothing wrong, okay?" 

Irene patted the top of your head to urge you to look at her and when you did, she gave you a warm smile. "I don't mind the flavour so it's completely normal to like it." 

By this time you were nodding and the blush on your cheeks had gone down slightly, feeling a little better. You knew it wasn't such a big deal but you just felt so different from everyone else when you found out none of the people you knew actually liked the flavour. You just felt out of place. 

"What other flavour do you like?" Irene prompted, wanting to know everything about you.

Your eyes lit up before you answered with more confidence this time. "Dark choco! I like to combine it with mint choco so it's both a bit bitter but fresh." 

It was silent before you looked up to find both the older girls' faces were scrunched up in confusion and distaste, causing you to laugh loudly. They looked at you like they've never seen you before. 

"Wow, you are something else."

Irene's remark caused you to blush again and giggle, prompting her to let out a loving smile. 

"I never knew anyone like you, Eli. Dark choco and mint choco? You really are something else." To this Irene slapped the girl again whilst you giggled, ducking your head in embarrassment. 

"Sorry, Unnies," you looked up with a mischievous glint in your eyes, all traces of hesitance and embarrassment gone. They were glad to see you being open with them and knowing that whatever differences you might have, they'll accept you either way. "But you're stuck with me so I will have you try my favourite combination at least once."

Being the dramatic girl that she was, and wanting you to laugh again, Seulgi let go of her embrace to playfully run away from you. "Noooooooo! Anything but mint choco! Please spare me!" 

You and Irene just looked at each other with wide eyes before laughing loudly, her letting go of her loud, dolphin laughs this time. Well, you might get made fun of because of your unique preferences but at least you knew your judgement of them was proven correct. 

You could trust them fully. 

 

Ever since then, it became a running joke in Red Velvet that the group was divided into three categories: choco mint lovers (Joy, you and Yeri), haters (Seulgi and Wendy), and the recently known one as "would eat it if necessary but wouldn't pay for it herself" (Irene). In every interview or fan interactions, every time they ask you who loves mint choco ice cream, Wendy and Seulgi would immediately scrunch their faces in distaste whilst the maknae line would jump up and down in excitement, with Irene laughing into her hands in between. 

"So, does anyone in Red Velvet actually like mint choco ice cream?" Asked the interviewer, a slight wince on her face. She was clearly not a fan. 

"Right?!" Wendy jumped up slightly from her seat, eyes wide while the rest of you laughed at her theatrics. "It tastes like toothpaste! Why would anyone like that?" 

Joy immediately butted in, "Hey! I love mint choco, what's wrong with it?" 

Wendy made a face at the remark while Seulgi shook her head in denial, saying "No, no, no. Just no." 

"But we like it and we have taste! It's just you guys that don't know taste!" 

Yeri's playful claim brought a loud "YAH!" from the unnie line, making you and Joy laugh loudly. 

The interviewer laughed at the interaction. "I agree that mint choco is no good but I need to hear from you, Eli. You're my bias so I should be able to trust you." 

Your eyes widened in surprise and mock terror. "Oh no, a lot of pressure there." 

The rest giggled and the interviewer smiled. "Why do you like mint choco?" 

"I've always liked fresh taste so when I first tasted mint choco ice cream, I felt like it was the perfect combination of fresh and creamy at the same time," you shrugged cooly. "I always get it combined with dark chocolate though, so a perfect combination between fresh and bitter. You should try it, it's good!" You gave the interviewer an encouraging smile and she laughed, shaking her head in amusement. You didn't see how Wendy and Seulgi were shaking their heads in disagreement behind you though. 

She was about to answer before Wendy interrupted. "Don't, I tried it and it tasted even weirder." 

Hearing her reply your eyes widened whilst a pout took over your lips, lookng at her with sadness clearly painted in your expression. "But those are my favourite flavours to get..." You were doing this for fun but you were also sad that your favourite unnie would lie to you back when she first tried the combination.

Irene and Joy, who were on each of your sides immediately patted your head to sooth you. They were really your big sisters and protectors. "It's okay, Eli-ah, Wendy didn't mean to make you sad." 

Following what Irene was saying, Joy added an "It's okay, dongsaeng-ah. I totally agree with you that it tastes great!" 

"Wendy-unnie! Look at what you did!" Yeri's loud voice then could be heard along with Seulgi's "Wendy-ah, why did you have to say that out loud? Now Eli's sad!" 

Amongst the chaos was the confused but amused interviewer, watching the bizarre yet sweet interaction with confused eyes, looking back and forth between the girls and the camera. 

Wendy knew she made a mistake the seond she said what she did. She knew how much you wanted her and Seulgi especially to like what you like, simply because you like sharing your favourites with them, so when you first introduced the dark chocolate and mint choco combination she swallowed her disagreement to say that it tasted better than plain mint choco. She wasn't lying, it did taste better but she wouldn't buy it herself for the life of her. She thought the combination tasted even weirder than the so-called "toothpaste" flavour but she didn't have the heart to say that to your hopeful and excited figure. 

Wendy quickly got up from her seat to stand in front of you, almost sitting on your lap with how close she was to make sure that you knew how apologetic she was. 

"Liza, Unnie's sorry. Unnie didn't mean to make you sad," Wendy patted your cheeks and you could see it in her eyes that she truly felt remorseful. 

You eventually gave her your signature warm smile, dimple visible on your right cheek. "It's okay, Unnie. I respect your taste." You ended it with a loving squeeze on her arm to show that everything was fine and she gave you her own wide smile, kissing your right cheek softly before going back to her seat. 

The interviewer actually gasped this time. "Did Wendy just cheek your cheek? Aren't you the one who didn't like any show of cuteness?" 

The members looked at each other and laughed lowly, nodding their heads in agreement. "It's the power of Eli, really. No one can resist her." 

When that interview aired two things were highlighted: the maknae line loved mint choco flavour and Wendy kissed your cheeks without a second thought and you receiving it like it was a daily thing. Those were talked about for the next few weeks. 

 

Now, at every interaction the fans had with Red Velvet, they liked to tease the unnie line with mint choco flavoured ice cream just to see their hilarious replies and the maknae line with liking them and their responses of how the unnie line didn't have taste for not liking the flavour. The teasings even happened at the dorm every time you bought a new pint of mint choco ice cream, along with the dark chocolate one of course, making it a running inside joke between you. 

Despite the teasings and the argument whether mint choco ice cream is actually good or not, Red Velvet is truly a family.