004

Loey's Wife

A/N: This chapter contains scenes that may be sensitive or triggering to others.

 

 

 

November, Year 20XX

 

“Hey guys,” Minae said as she placed her backpack on the table, Jongdae and Baekhyun were chowing down on some snacks.

“The exam schedules are out, how did~”

“We don’t want to talk about it,” Chen spoke with his mouth full of chips, Baekhyun also shook his head at her. Minae chuckled and sat down across them.

“Right, this weekend I have an event that I need to attend, it’s a~” She paused when she noticed Chanyeol standing outside the cafeteria, it looked like he was on the phone.

“What’s up with him?” She asked, Baekhyun followed her gaze and started to shake his head.

“It’s probably his father again.” Jongdae sighed, Minae frowned.

“He left home two months ago, his father is still demanding that he come back. I mean, he’s already cut his credit cards and closed his bank accounts. I don’t know what to do, I feel bad for him.” Baekhyun murmured.

“Wait, how~”

“He still has his trust fund from his mother’s side, that’s why his father is pissed. At this rate, he’s never coming home.”

Minae puffed her cheeks, she stood up from her seat and walked toward the doors. She puhed both doors open and approached Chanyeol.

“No. You only think about yourself!”

Minae flinched, she rarely got to see an angry Chanyeol. He ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation as the caller started to yell back at him again.

“You run it yourself, abeoji. I never took any interest with your company. Cut me off while you’re at it too!”

Minae shook her her head as she reached him, and then she slowly reached for his arm, Chanyeol paused and he looked at her.

“You can forget that you have a son. And let’s move on.” He stated flatly before ending the call.

“Hey.” Minae said, her voice quiet. Chanyeol let out a big breath before reaching out to muss her hair.

“He wants you to come back home?”

“I would rather die.” Chanyeol replied to her, her forehead creased and she reached out to pat his back comfortingly.

“If you need to talk, I’m always here, Yeol.” She said with a small smile before taking his hand in hers and started to pull him towards the cafeteria doors.

“I know. You somehow always got my back.” Chanyeol murmured as he followed her.

 

 

Minae was smiling as she stepped out of the elevator with her fellow interns, the three of them had come from different universities and enjoyed their free time together.

“Really? I met that man from accounting today, representative Jang,”

Min looked at Jumin as he spoke, their other friend Chaekyung urged for him to continue.

“The rumors were right, he is a pain.”

They all chortled as they crossed the company lobby, Jumin and Chaekyun continued to chat while Min searched for her phone in her purse. She was about to open the text message when someone suddenly hit her shoulder.

“Minae~” Jumin almost choked when he realized who his friend had just bumped into.

Minae looked up and her eyes widened as the elder man was staring back at her oddly, she chewed on her lip and immediately picked up her phone.

“I—I’m sorry, president Park. I wasn’t watching~”

“Let’s ask this young intern then,” He suddenly spoke to the males he was with, Minae panicked.

“You people can’t seem to find what is wrong with this proposal, now tell me, miss?”

Jumin and Chaekyung coulg only watch helplessly as their friend seemed to be stuck in a middle of an argument between the ShinHan president and his directors.

“Why do you think should we not put up any more branches in our site three areas?”

Minae blinked, she looked at the directors and at president Park again.

Wow, how does Chanyeol survive this?

Her phone was vibrating again, she mentally winced.

“Well, since site three is located with in the downtown area, putting up another branch will be a bit too much, we’ve already have different branches systematically put up in the city. It might be…sorry to say this, but a waste of time and effort. However, if we really must open up another one, why not opt for a mall branch? It will be easier to manage that way.” She spoke, the directors looked at each other as the president started to smile.

“See? Even an intern can see how wrong your plans are.” He pointed out, Minae excused herself before walking away, she let out a huge sigh before answering.

“Chanyeol-ah,” She answered, president Park turned his head as soon as he heard her speak. He tilted his head briefly, his son hadn’t come home in weeks.

“Now? Baekhyun said he’d come by to pick me up. I didn’t drive today.” She continued and president Park felt bad for eavesdropping, but the girl seems to be his son’s friend. She mentioned Baekhyun.

“Secretary Seon,” He spoke, his secretary walked towards him, his eyes were still on the young intern.

“Who was that young lady?”

“Ah, the intern? She’s from SNU, sir.”

His brows went up, she came from the same university too.

“Her name?”

“I’ll check on it, sir.”

“Good, I’d like to know that child better. Tell me as soon as you get information about her.”

 

 

Minae scrunched her nose as soon as they got inside the club, Baekhyun grinned at her as he led her to the bar.

“Min!” Chanyeol waved her over, he grimaced when he noticed the company uniform she was wearing.

“Is this how we celebrate the end of exam week? I don’t like it.” She commented over the loud music, he grinned and opened one arm to her.

“It’s just for a while, princess.” Baekhyun chuckled as he sat down. Minae rolled her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Chanyeol chuckled and just patted her back, he knew how the girl was extremely uncomfortable being inside dark and noisy places.

She let go of him and sat down between the two males.

“How was work? ShinHan overworked you yet?” Baekhyun asked jokingly, Chanyeol laughed.

“Actually, I met your father today.” She spoke, the two males paused. Talking about the Park elders have become a sensitive subject for Chanyeol, but Minae never had any problems approaching the topic.

“Really.” Chanyeol said before taking a sip from his beer.

“He…was nice, a little intense, but..you know, he’s okay.”

“Not helping.” Baekhyun added, she swatted him away. Chanyeol smiled and just pushed her a bowl of peanuts.

“I haven’t had dinner yet. Can we~”

“You what?” Chanyeol asked, his eyes wide. Baekhyun blinked at her.

“Well, I got off work and~”

“You didn’t check if she already ate?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun, the male sighed.

“She didn’t tell me, okay? I thought~”

Chanyeol sighed, he slid down from his seat, he gathered Minae’s purse and gestured for her to follow him.

“Where are we going?” She asked him, Baekhyun chuckled and blew her a kiss.

“To get some food inside you, obviously, miss intern.” Chanyeol pointed out as they headed for the doors.

“We can just~”

“I meant real food, Min. Come on. I know a place.”

 

 

“It’s been four days, she’s never the type to skip school this long.” Jongdae said as they stepped out of the elevator. Chanyeol followed him towards the familiar halls.

“She wouldn’t even take my calls, I thought she went home to her hometown.”

“Her hometown is in Beijing, she can’t just go visit anytime.” Jongdae pointed out, Chanyeol sighed as they reached her unit. He pressed the doorbell twice and they waited.

“Maybe..she’s out?”

Chanyeol punched in the code on the device deftly and the door opened. Jongdae started to call her name as he crossed the unit, he made his way to the living room while Chanyeol headed for her room.

“Minae?” Chanyeol spoke as he got inside her room, he paused when he noticed a small glass bottle lying on top of her laptop.

“Is she here?” He heard Jongdae behind, Chanyeol made his way towards her desk and picked up a bottle.

“Ya, do..do you know what this is?” Chanyeol asked his friend, the latter took the bottle from him and paused.

“These are sleeping pills and~” Jongdae halted, he looked around them and noticed that there were two more bottles scattered on the floor, both were empty. And then Chanyeol heard it, the sound of water rushing from the bathroom.

He bolted out of the room and went straight for the bath, the door was locked. He cursed loudly before kicking the door down.

And then he found her.

Minae was standing on the tub, the water was a few inched above her ankle, her eyes were cloudy and unfocused as she looked at Chanyeol. But it felt like she wasn’t really looking at him. He saw the bruises on her neck and arms, and there was a gash on her cheek.

“Min~” Chanyeol stopped when he realized that the girl was holding onto a paper cutter and she positioned it just a few centimeters over her left wrist.

Minae gave him a small sad smile and then she started to move her hand, the blade touched her skin.

“Minae!” Chanyeol lunged forward, Minae gasped as his weight pressed in on her and then they were both going down. Water splashed all around them, soaking the bathroom in the process. Minae winced, and then she stretched her neck, Chanyeol was lying underneath her, he was coughing out the water.

“Ch—Chanyeol,” She choked, tears were welling up her eyes, he sat up and leaned his back against the tub. He pulled her up with him and made Minae face him.

“Please, don’t. Please, don’t do this to yourself.” Chanyeol said as he cupped the back of her neck with his hands.

“It..hurts, Yeol. It hurts a lot, and…it just wont go away.” She started to sob, he exhaled and cradled the girl in his arms. He heard the door creak open, Jongdae was looking at her worriedly. Chanyeol shook his head before standing up, Minae was curled up in his arms, clinging onto him.

“It will go away, Minae. You have us. You have me.”

“Yeol, I don’t want to do it anymore. I can’t~”

 

“I can protect you from everything, if you’ll let me.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++