026

Loey's Wife

“I know, I know, it is quite rushed.” Chanyeol was facing the floor length windows as he spoke.

“It might take a week or so, but I can have the draft sent to you by Monday, I just want this to happen.” He continued as he pressed his phone to his ear.

“Yes, I’ll take care of it. I still have to meet with HR team for that too, as well as the advertising department.” He nodded along.

Min paused as she pushed the doors open, she let out a shaky breath as she put her bag down.

“No, it wont be a problem. I’ll be the one overseeing it myself.” Chanyeol didn’t seem to hear her coming in, Minae shook her head to herself and just padded towards him.

“Yes, I’ll~”

Minae pressed her forehead against his back, Chanyeol paused as he felt a pair of arms wraps around his waist. He turned his head slightly and he grew concerned. Minae let out a relieved sigh and closed her eyes.

“I’ll get back to you shortly.” He murmured before putting his phone back in his pocket. He tried to face the girl, but Minae’s grip on him would just grow tighter, not wanting him to move.

“Min, is something wrong?” He started to worry. Minae let out a shaky breath and just leaned her cheek against his back.

“Min,” Chanyeol sighed, wanting to see her face. Miane dropped her arms, and he immediately faced her.

“Minae,” He frowned as soon as he looked at her, her eyes were swollen and her nose was red.

“I—I made…” She choked and shook her head, her fingers curled around the sleeve of his sweatshirt.

“What happened? Where were you? Did you walk here?” Chanyeol noticed the snow that was melting on her jacket.

“H—Hospital, I…was at..” She looked away and chewed on her lower lip.

“Minae, what’s going on?” He was starting to panic as tears rolled down her cheeks, Chanyeol gently cupped her face in his palms.

“I was at the hospital, and then, I…I saw halbae there. No, I went there because Suho oppa told me he would be there.” She said truthfully, Chanyeol paused.

“Your grandfather?”

“I..I got curious, I wanted to..see how he was doing and,” She trailed off, she had one hand placed over his.

“He was there, I saw him. Yeol, he’s already using a wheelchair, he lost so much weight and..I..I couldn’t help it, I… wanted to approach him, but..my aunt was there. Aera’s mom.”

“Oh.” Chanyeol shook his head, Miane let out a breath before going into his arms, he wrapped his arms around her.

“She was yelling at him, Yeol. She was berating him, telling him how he was such a bother and…”

“What?” Chanyeol was stunned, he knew Min’s aunts, he was aware how vile they could get. But even with their father?

“And I stepped in. I took him away from her, asked driver Cha to drop him off as his residence in Jamsil. And, he…he told me that I sounded like his granddaughter who ran away.” She sniffed and shook her head.

“I don’t…I didn’t know where to go, and I couldn’t reach you so, I headed here.” She murmured as she pulled back, Chanyeol gave her a small smile.

“I’m sorry, I was on the phone. And, I’m happy you went straight to me.” He spoke, Min nodded and looked around them.

“They always told me..that halbae wanted me out too, but..I just..don’t understand why did he remember my voice.”

“Min, you never spoke to him after high school, right?”

Minae looked at him and she nodded, he could see the tears pooling on her eyes.

“And I miss him, Chanyeol. I miss him so much.”

 

 

Baekhyun looked at Jinah again, the girl was on her phone, browsing through Instagram.

“You’re really checking out another man right in front of me.” Baekhyun stated as he picked up his coffee.

Jinah looked up from the screen, she blinked at him before standing up and placing herself on his lap.

“He’s not exactly my type, but, you can think what you want to think.” She shrugged at him, Baekhyun smiled and wrapped one arm around her.

“What are you so worried about? It’s just a harmless crush on Min. I mean, a lot of guys did try to win her over when we were students.” Baekhyun said as photos of GM Daewoo’s heir appeared on the screen.

“Dude, how did Chanyeol notice Minae again? Tell me.” Jinah asked as she curled unto his chest, not minding that they were at a public place.

“He almost ran her over with his car.” He said dryly.

“No, after that.”

Baekhyun paused, now that the girl mentioned it, Minae was never really in their circle back then. She knew Chen, but Minae never really did join their circle until the accident. And the day Chanyeol almost hit her, he was talking about her nonstop. And they all got curious, they befriended her, she became the “tutor” of the group, Chanyeol asked her to help him with school too, so they spent countless of hours in the library. Baekhyun’s mouth opened, something had just hit him.

Come to think of it, it was Chanyeol who pulled her into the group. He was the one who made her stay with them.

“Really?” He nudged Jinah.

“Park Chanyeol may not admit it, but he’s always had that harmless crush on her.”

“Whoa. I did not see it that way.”

“Well, not exactly harmless, she ended up being his wife.” Jinah shrugged at him.

“Ya, this Kim Seokjin wont be that stupid to actually try and~”

“Trust me, babe. He will.” Jinah shut him up with kiss on his cheek.

 

 

Minae looked up as Chanyeol joined her in the living room. He put the fleece blanket across her lap before plopping down beside her.

“I spoke with driver Cha, your halbae’s staff were stunned to see him being chauffeured by a stranger’s car, but he cleared it off.”

“Now, they know that I interfered.” She shrugged as she leaned back, he smiled and inched closer to the girl.

“You didn’t tell me you called Suho hyung. I’m surprised.” He said as he pressed his cheek against her arm.

“I wanted to see how he was doing, and I wanted to do it quietly. And, well, Suho oppa owns the hospital he goes to.” She said as she switched channels again, Chanyeol was looking at the screen, used to how the girl never really settled to watch one thing on cable.

“What did your aunt say when you stepped in?” He asked gently, Minae pursed her lips.

“The usual, but I had to take halbae away from her. She’ll come for me tomorrow.” She shrugged, Chanyeol sat up and looked at her.

“Do you want me to accompany you to work?” He offered.

“Loey, you hate my workplace.” She said softly, while smiling.

“What if she attacks you?”

“I’m trying to fix the habit of letting you fight my battles, Loey. So it’s alright. Let me....face her.”

Chanyeol paused, but he nodded back, and then he smiled.

“That’s good news, Min. I like that.” He pulled her to him, she chuckled and patted his arm.

“I just don’t think that it was my grandfather who wanted me to stay away, you know.”

“You want to find that out?”

“I probably wont get to sleep properly until I know everything. But, don’t worry, I’ll take care of it.”

Chanyeol nodded, knowing that she wanted him not to do anything, he kissed the top of her head before choosing a movie for them.

“Chanyeol-ah,” She spoke without looking at him.

“Hmm?”

“I’m worried for him. I don’t know how their treating them behind closed doors.” She murmured as she fiddled with the sleeve of his sweater.

“Do you want me to find out for you?” He asked softly, she gave him a small nod.

“Okay.” Chanyeol’s lips curled up slightly and he pulled her to his chest.

 

 

Minae was in the process of fixing her hair when she heard the doors open, Chanyeol walked in, already dressed for the day in his dark skinny jeans and motorcycle jacket.

“Oh, right, you have that meeting in Incheon today.” Minae said, it was rare for him to be up so early.

“I do, so, I probably wont be able to make it to lunch with Baekhyun and Jinah.” He said as forced himself on the divan she was sitting on. Minae sighed and made some space for him.

“It’s here.” Chanyel noticed the folder on the foot of her bed, Minae followed his gaze and she bit her lip.

“I thought you didn’t want to see it.” He looked at her, she her lips before replying.

“Well, I just…I got curious.”

Chanyeol smiled and nodded, not wanting to push her to talk.

“I don’t understand how I got thirty percent, Yeol. They hate me.”

“Your grandfather apparently, never did.” He replied as he played with the hole on her jeans, and then he paused.

“You’re not…in slacks?”

“I’m trying to dress down a bit. I feel sloppy today.” She shrugged, he chuckled.

“My fashion sense is rubbing on you.”

“Maybe? Or, we hang out with each other way too much.”

“You really should look into that, Min. I mean, it is yours.” He said as he jutted his lips towards the folder again.

“Yeah, I will. Drive safely.” She said as he stood up, Minae raised her palm to him.

“If anything happens, call me. Or do you need me to stay?” He paused, with what happened yesterday, maybe he should not be driving off to Incheon.

“No, no,” Minae stood up as he took her hand in his.

“I’m good. Go, you have work.” She scrunched her nose at him, Chanyeol nodded hesitatingly.

“I’m serious, I’m okay, Loey.”

“Just call me if you need me.” Chanyeol gave her hand a small squeeze before leaving the room, Minae exhaled and picked up the folder.

“It doesn’t make any sense at all.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++