025

Loey's Wife

“See? It wasn’t so bad, right?” Chanyeol was smiling as they claimed their bags, Minae smiled and pulled the trolley closer to her.

“If having a runny nose isn’t bad, then it was perfect, darling.” She said dryly as she took out a wet wipe and handed it to him, he chuckled before wiping his nose with it.

“I read the report you sent to me, about that SM Town thing.” He started as they headed for the doors.

“Ah, the overseas concerts.” She replied as she spotted their waiting car.

“What do you think?” She asked him as the driver took their bags from them.

“I scheduled a meeting tomorrow with the other directors, I might throw it out as a suggestion.” He said as he opened the door for her and gestured for the girl to go in.

“You? You heading back to work right away?”

“I might, but I have errands tomorrow.”

“What errands?” Chanyeol asked, Minae paused briefly and she smiled at him.

“I plan to spend the day with Toben, since we enjoyed China so much that we almost forgot about him.”

“Oh, right. Can I come?” He beamed at her.

“No, as Toben’s father, you have to work to feed him.” She pointed out, Chanyeol pouted and rolled his eyes at her.

“We’ll send you photos, don’t worry.” She chuckled before patting his head.

“The least you could do is drop by at the office.” He added, Minae smiled before scooting over to lean against him.

“We’ll bring some food then. Only if Toben approves.” She joked before letting out a small yawn, Chanyeol smiled and just wrapped one arm around her.

 

 

Minae was smiling with Toben in her arms as she stepped out of the vet’s clinic.

“Samonim, I’ll take him.” The driver approached her and took the dog, she nodded and followed him towards the waiting car.

She leaned back on her seat and was about to ask the driver to drive them to Chanyeol’s office when her phone started to ring.

She blinked as she looked at the caller ID, she slid the green across swiftly.

“Oppa, hi.”

“Are you busy? Could you drop by for a bit?”

“Right now? I guess I can, is this because of what I called about?”

“Your grandfather is scheduled for a checkup today, you said you wanted to know how he was doing.”

She stilled for a moment, Toben leapt on her lap and her palm.

“I’ll be there in a few, thank you, oppa.”

“I’ll be in my office, just go straight ahead.”

Minae put her phone away before speaking.

“Ahjussi, to Samsung Hospital, please.”

“Yes, samonim.”

Minae leaned back on her seat and pulled Toben to her chest, she pressed her nose against his fur and exhaled.

“Am I really doing this?” She murmured before closing her eyes.

 

 

Chanyeol leaned back on his seat, letting his legs stretch out underneath the table.

“We have to talk about dates, sir.”

“How about a surprise? Like, next week?” He smiled, the other directors glanced at each other.

“For something like that, wouldn’t it be easier if we do it here in Seoul?”

“Think about it, let’s do it overseas, in a way, it’s like going on a trip with the whole family. Doesn’t that sound great?”

The directors looked at him, they were aware how spontaneous their boss can get and how nothing can dissuade him from anything he has decided on.

“Which country are you thinking about?”

“I already made calls, it might be possible as long as we work out our artists’ schedules.” Chanyeol spoke, a chart flashed on the screen.

“Aloha Stadium? Hawaii?” One of the directors asked.

“Yes, I think that would be the perfect place to kick off SM Town.” Chanyeol smiled, and then his phone vibrated in his pocket.

“Then, we’ll start working on it, president. We’ll submit a report before the holidays.”

“Good, please email the tentative schedules to me, so I can also check mine.” He replied as he took out his phone, Chanyeol opened the text from his secretary.

I couldn’t get the name of the customer, sir. But, I got his number.

Chanyeol studied the phone number, his forehead creased briefly before facing the directors again.

“Let’s talk about 2019 promotions.”

 

 

Minae stepped in the office, and she smiled as a familiar face welcomed her.

“It’s been a while, Park Minae.” The vice president of Samsung Hospital and Samsung Holdings approached her with a warm smile.

“Sorry for bothering you, oppa. But it’s kind of urgent.” She said before hugging him back, the male smiled and shook his head.

“It’s nothing, Min. How are you?”

“We just got back from China, Chanyeol wanted to spend Christmas with my mom.”

Suho asked her to sit and produced a folder from his desk, Minae took it from him and chewed on his lower lip.

“We should grab dinner sometime, I haven’t seen everyone in years, I think.” Suho said good-naturedly.

“But what brought all this? You mentioned you never wanted anything to do with your father’s side of the family.”

Minae opened the folder, her grandfather’s photo greeted her and she smiled before looking at his schedule.

“It’s just I haven’t..seen halbae in a while,”

“Well, you better go now, he’s already in for his check up.” Suho said, Minae thanked him again before leaving the office, she got inside the elevator and arrived at the fifth floor.

She puffed her cheeks as she walked around the halls, searching for the clinic’s room number and then she paused as she heard a familiar voice.

Her eyes went to a slightly opened door and she slowly approached the door and she paused. She gasped when she saw her grandfather sitting on a wheelchair, his hair was now all white and there were more wrinkles around his eyes. The last time Min had saw him was during her high school graduation, he looked stronger and healthier back then.

Minae chewed on her lower lip, she was about to move forward when her aunt came into view.

“Why won’t you speak? The doctor was asking whether you felt pain anywhere!” She yelled at him, Minae froze, her eyes widened as her aunt started to point fingers at her father.

“You’re being a pain, abeoji. You made us all go here just so we could watch you ignore doctor Seon? What the hell is going on in that head of yours?” Her voice echoed through the walls, Minae’s fists curled as she looked at the elder. He was hunched down on his wheelchair, his fingers were shaking terribly and his eyes were unfocused.

“He’s sick.” Minae said softly.

“You have been nothing but a pain to us!” She yelled again as she kicked the foot of the wheelchair and then Minae couldn’t take in anymore.

“You’re nothing but an em~”

Minae inserted herself between her aunt and grandfather, the older lady was startled and she took a step back.

“Stop this.” Minae spoke, finding her voice, and then her aunt started to chuckle.

“Would you look at that, little Minae here to save~”

“You have no right to treat him this way.” Minae snapped at her, her aunt rolled her eyes.

“Get lost, you’re not even part of this~”

“I may have let you speak to me that way for years,” Minae started to close the space between them, her aunt paused.

“But, halbae…You can’t do this to him. Not him.” She hissed at the lady, her aunt rolled her eyes.

“You think you scare me? Why? Just because you have money now, you think you can~”

“What if I can?” She bit back, Shim Eunhye halted, her eyes narrowed at her niece.

“What if I can overthrow you?” Minae smirked at her, she walked towards her grandfather and stood behind him.

“What are you planning? You aren’t even in the family register anymore!”

“You know what, aunt,” Minae spoke as she started to push the wheelchair, she placed one hand on her grandfather’s shoulder briefly.

“Let’s just see where this ends.” She said before leaving her, Minae searched for the nearest elevator and quickly wheeled in the elder.

“Uhm, M—Mr. Jung, I’ll have someone~”

“Young lady,” The elder finally spoke, leaving Minae panicked. And then he lifted his head to look at her, the elder reached for her hand and he looked into her eyes.

“Your voice…is…very familiar. You sound just like my granddaughter who ran away from us.”

She swallowed, her grandfather had dementia. He couldn’t remember her. Not anymore.

“A—Ah, really?” She looked away from him.

“You do. You’re pretty, just like her.” He added, the doors pinged open and she gently pushed him out of the machine.

“Mr. Jung, I’ll have someone drive you to their residence.” She said, her voice cracking, she lifted her head up briefly.

“Hmm, yes.”

Minae spotted the familiar Mercedes Benz sedan pull over, her driver slid down and approached her, she saw confusion on his face as he saw the old man before her.

“Samonim,”

“Help him get in the car,” She said as she got in the front seat, she typed in an address on the car’s screen and slid down again. Her grandfather was smiling at her as the driver helped him into the backdoor.

“Thank you very much for what you did back there, young lady. My children can be very…difficult.”

“It’s nothing, Mr. Jung.” She bowed politely, her driver looked at her again.

“Ahjussi, please take him to that address. I’ll just take a cab home. P—Please make s-sure he gets there safely.”

“Yes, samonim.”

Minae faced the elder again and she smiled, before she could move, he reached for her hand again.

“It would be great if you meet my granddaughter, you…remind me of her so much, it’s just..I can’t remember her name. I’m sick you know.” He said softly, a small frown was on his face.

Minae nodded back, afraid that if she spoke, she would just break down.

The window rolled up and the car sped away, Minae watched as the car slowly disappeared to the street and she let out a shaky breath.

“I—I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry,” She choked as tears rolled down her cheeks.

 

“I’m so sorry, halbae. I’m….at fault, I’m sorry.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++